PDA

View Full Version : Can Brazilian straightening damage hair follicles permanently?

Hairismypower
July 6th, 2018, 02:08 PM
I had a straightening 2 years ago and since then my hair which used to be curly has become much straighter and frizzier. At first I thought it was just the straightening but then my new hairs grew back totally different and my hair when brushed can sometimes be almost straight. I've asked the doctor about it and she said that hair type can change but I wanted to ask people on here. What are your experiences with this, and do you have any knowledge of either hair type changing naturally or by Brazilian straightening. Just to say that the straightening I used was a 'safe' one as in not the one that originally messed up people's hair but the one that's allowed. I still think there could be after effects since formaldehyde is a carcinogen even if it's small amounts. Also my scalp didn't experience any excessive problems. Although since around that time my t zone which used to be oily is now very dry and flaky and my scalp is dry.

Joules
July 6th, 2018, 02:27 PM
Hair follicles can be changed or impacted in any way only by hormones, so I don't think Brazilian had anything to do with texture change in your hair.

lapushka
July 6th, 2018, 02:41 PM
How old are you? If still in the teen years when this occurred, or when undergoing say for instance menopause, then it can change due to hormones, as Joules already stated.

I also don't think a straightening treatment can change all your follicles. How long ago was the straightening? You may need to grow out at least 2 years' worth of hair to be able to tell.

*Wednesday*
July 6th, 2018, 04:00 PM
I would think it can damage the hair, not the follicle.

Hairismypower
July 6th, 2018, 05:13 PM
I'm 22 now and I got it done two years ago. It's grown out quite a lot actually almost to cbl. That's crazy that hormones can do that. I've heard that pregnancy can make straight hair curly but it's just so weird to have different hair. What can I do to get my curly hair back? It's funny cuz I used to hate my curly hair and now I think it's beautiful.

cjk
July 6th, 2018, 08:01 PM
How do you care for your hair?

I've noticed since going curly girl that the minimal texture I had has blossomed into ringlet curls. Conditioner is what unlocked it for me.

As other have said, the hair itself could be damaged to some extent. Damaged hair can be improved with modified care.

Hairismypower
July 7th, 2018, 02:55 AM
How do you care for your hair?

I've noticed since going curly girl that the minimal texture I had has blossomed into ringlet curls. Conditioner is what unlocked it for me.

As other have said, the hair itself could be damaged to some extent. Damaged hair can be improved with modified care.

I treat my hair pretty well except when I'm feeling depressed then I might not even brush it. Usually it's washing every 7-9 days (I'd like to cut it down to 4-5 because my scalp gets a little itchy and dry but my hair would love it if I didn't wash for two weeks), sulfate free shampoo smoothing conditioner, hair rinse sometimes, coconut oil leave in, masks with either avacado or oil and honey, oil daily and wooden brushes.

lapushka
July 7th, 2018, 06:05 AM
I treat my hair pretty well except when I'm feeling depressed then I might not even brush it. Usually it's washing every 7-9 days (I'd like to cut it down to 4-5 because my scalp gets a little itchy and dry but my hair would love it if I didn't wash for two weeks), sulfate free shampoo smoothing conditioner, hair rinse sometimes, coconut oil leave in, masks with either avacado or oil and honey, oil daily and wooden brushes.

What texture is your hair? Brushing curly or wavy hair dry is a big no-no if you want to follow the CG (curly girl) method. The CG method is a book by Lorraine Massey. It was life changing for me!

Margarita
July 7th, 2018, 06:25 AM
Oh, my mom did that treatment 2 days ago. Her hair became completely straight and frizz-free. The only negative happened was that the treatment made her hair really light. Her hair colour is orange-pure red, but the treatment made it just medium blonde-carrot(lol) colour. She dislikes that colour, and she is now supposed to dye it again after 1-2 month/s.

Arciela
July 7th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I would think it can damage the hair, not the follicle.

Yeah I agree with this. I don't think its possible to mess with the follicle. Just the hair itself really.

Dark40
July 7th, 2018, 11:25 AM
I had a straightening 2 years ago and since then my hair which used to be curly has become much straighter and frizzier. At first I thought it was just the straightening but then my new hairs grew back totally different and my hair when brushed can sometimes be almost straight. I've asked the doctor about it and she said that hair type can change but I wanted to ask people on here. What are your experiences with this, and do you have any knowledge of either hair type changing naturally or by Brazilian straightening. Just to say that the straightening I used was a 'safe' one as in not the one that originally messed up people's hair but the one that's allowed. I still think there could be after effects since formaldehyde is a carcinogen even if it's small amounts. Also my scalp didn't experience any excessive problems. Although since around that time my t zone which used to be oily is now very dry and flaky and my scalp is dry.

I relax my hair every 3 or 4 months, and my hair naturally curly too. I'm 46 years old, and about 2 or 3 years ago I've noticed a difference in my hair type or texture as well! I remember as a kid I had thick curly hair, and now into my mid to late 40s my hair texture and type has softened up or has changed to wavy hair!

Hairismypower
July 8th, 2018, 03:21 AM
I relax my hair every 3 or 4 months, and my hair naturally curly too. I'm 46 years old, and about 2 or 3 years ago I've noticed a difference in my hair type or texture as well! I remember as a kid I had thick curly hair, and now into my mid to late 40s my hair texture and type has softened up or has changed to wavy hair!

Did you notice new hair growth being straighter or the bits that are already straightened? For me a straightening lasted five months and although it improved my hairs look two years later I regret it because the bottoms of my hair are a lot more damaged.

Hairismypower
July 8th, 2018, 03:24 AM
What texture is your hair? Brushing curly or wavy hair dry is a big no-no if you want to follow the CG (curly girl) method. The CG method is a book by Lorraine Massey. It was life changing for me!

I'm a big believer in brushing and I do it very gently and use oils and braiding. If I'm extra patient I'll finger comb first then use a wide tooth wooden comb and then a wooden brush.

Hairismypower
July 8th, 2018, 03:26 AM
Yeah I agree with this. I don't think its possible to mess with the follicle. Just the hair itself really.

I didn't think you could mess with the follicle but at the same time the straightening has formaldehyde in it which is carcinogenic and mutagenic. So if that's the case it should hypothetically be able to change/ damage follicles.

lapushka
July 8th, 2018, 05:16 AM
I'm a big believer in brushing and I do it very gently and use oils and braiding. If I'm extra patient I'll finger comb first then use a wide tooth wooden comb and then a wooden brush.

You don't want to wear your hair curly then, I take it? :flower:

Dark40
July 8th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Did you notice new hair growth being straighter or the bits that are already straightened? For me a straightening lasted five months and although it improved my hairs look two years later I regret it because the bottoms of my hair are a lot more damaged.

Yes, over the years as I've gotten older I noticed new hair growth being straighter. Ok, that's good that the straightening lasted five months and that it improved your hairs look two years later. I bet you do regret it because the bottoms of your hair is a lot more damaged. If it's damaged just baby it and keep it well-conditioned and oiled. That's what I do to minimize or prevent chemical damage.