PDA

View Full Version : No conditioner?

Strawonaberry
July 6th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Hello :) this is my first thread ever!
I want to know what you think about not using conditioner... (I hope you don't find it too abominable!)

My mom taught me to use shampoo + conditioner so that's what I always did for 23 years of my life. If I ever wet my hair without conditioning, it would feel like a tangled straw-like mess, so I never did it. BUT I decided to try it out this year to see if my hair would go less limp between washes, and to my amazement it doesn't feel dry at all!
It does have the same feeling I described when just stepping out of the shower, but then as it dries it just turns soft again... I don't have much problem with tangles either thanks to my tangle teezer. (which I use after it's already dry)

I tried googling it and all I found were articles about how one should never skip conditioner shudder: Am I risking more damage in the long-term?
Or is there such a thing as hair that doesn't need conditioner?

akurah
July 6th, 2018, 01:16 PM
You’re not necessarily risking damage in the long term. A lot of people are no conditioner, they just don’t talk as much about it.

ursaV
July 6th, 2018, 01:22 PM
I don't use conditioner, it's really just whatever works for your unique head of hair :D There are no absolutes, like one should always use conditioner. Unless you're very prone to splits I wouldn't say you're risking damage. You sound like your happy with the results so far so I'd stick with it!

EdG
July 6th, 2018, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't worry. Conditioners are a fairly recent invention (half-century ago). People have had long hair for millennia.

I find that the body's own natural conditioner (sebum) works well. The trick is to avoid washing it out completely.
Ed

daisy rei
July 6th, 2018, 01:34 PM
You could always use oil instead of conditioning it as well.

Joules
July 6th, 2018, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't worry. Conditioners are a fairly recent invention (half-century ago). People have had long hair for millennia.

I find that the body's own natural conditioner (sebum) works well. The trick is to avoid washing it out completely.
Ed

People weren't using harsh detergents for millenia though.

I say do what works for you. My hair was dry as a stack of hay back when I wasn't using conditioner, it wasn't growing and was splitting like crazy. I would trim off a lot of hair in a salon, one month later I'd look like I haven't cut it in a year. I just can't go without extra moisture. If you can, good for you, you'll save a ton of money!

P.S.: you might end up with more damage long-term. I knew a girl who loved just using shampoo (she used Rehab from Lush, so we're talking SLS) and skipping conditioner, her hair was quite shiny and voluminous, but she had sooooooooo much breakage. So listen to your hair, the moment you see more dryness than usual, condition.

lapushka
July 6th, 2018, 01:59 PM
I'd say it depends on how long your hair is. If you have chin or shoulder to APL length there is absolutely no need for conditioner if you don't want to use it.

But...

Shampoo is drying. You risk less dry bits if you wash with a sulfate-free shampoo. In that case skipping conditioner is less of an issue, IMO.

cjk
July 6th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Experiment. Figure out what does and doesn't work for you, personally.

I condition occasionally, when my tips start looking a little dry. Beyond that, I am water only. It works for me, your mileage may vary.

Individual requirements are just that...individual. It's not so simple as an instruction book.

Strawonaberry
July 6th, 2018, 02:05 PM

I say do what works for you. My hair was dry as a stack of hay back when I wasn't using conditioner, it wasn't growing and was splitting like crazy. I would trim off a lot of hair in a salon, one month later I'd look like I haven't cut it in a year. I just can't go without extra moisture. If you can, good for you, you'll save a ton of money!

P.S.: you might end up with more damage long-term. I knew a girl who loved just using shampoo (she used Rehab from Lush, so we're talking SLS) and skipping conditioner, her hair was quite shiny and voluminous, but she had sooooooooo much breakage. So listen to your hair, the moment you see more dryness than usual, condition.

Oh I see! I'll keep an eye on it, but up until now it seems fine -it's still just barely SL anyway, so I guess that helps

Strawonaberry
July 6th, 2018, 02:07 PM
You could always use oil instead of conditioning it as well.

I've been giving myself coconut oil treatments now and then. mostly because I enjoy the smell and use it on my skin too, but I think i don't really notice any difference on my hair

I wanted to reply to more people but I can't figure out if there is a way to quote more than 1 person on a post :/
Anyway, thank you all for your answers up until now! I think I'l keep on like this for as long as it works

blushy
July 6th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Have you tried using a silicone-free conditioner? It could help you avoid dry hair without making your hair limp between washes. It worked for me, but everyone is different! :o

embee
July 6th, 2018, 04:33 PM
When I was moving toward WO, I was diluting my shampoo *a whole lot*, like NO suds whatsoever. Hair felt clean, no conditioner needed because I didn't scrub so my hair didn't tangle in the shower.

Khristopher
July 6th, 2018, 06:49 PM
When I was moving toward WO, I was diluting my shampoo *a whole lot*, like NO suds whatsoever. Hair felt clean, no conditioner needed because I didn't scrub so my hair didn't tangle in the shower.
I do this, works great. I use a tea made with conditioning herbs afterwards, and a little acv rinse to finish. My hair feels better than with any comercial conditioner I've used :)

Deborah
July 6th, 2018, 06:55 PM
I have not used conditioner or oil for many years, and my ultra fine, very silky hair is long and doing great. Not every person needs conditioner.

spidermom
July 6th, 2018, 06:55 PM
I'd only skip conditioner if I wanted to scare small children.

Sometimes I condition first, then wash, then condition again.

Strawonaberry
July 6th, 2018, 08:42 PM
I have not used conditioner or oil for many years, and my ultra fine, very silky hair is long and doing great. Not every person needs conditioner.

I see now there is a lot of diversity haha (I figured out how to multi-quote!)
Though I have the impression most other non-conditioning ladies use mild shampoos... I use a mild one sometimes, if I have to wash more often for some reason, but what I love is getting my hair squeaky clean with Lush's sea salt shampoo :bigeyes:

Maybe I'll update you all when my hair gets a bit longer!

Strawonaberry
July 6th, 2018, 08:46 PM
Oh this reminds me,
When I used conditioner, I could never figure out what were 2 categories for me:
-> Some conditioners did the job perfectly, they detangled my hair and left it super-soft instantly
-> the others as soon as I put them in my hair I knew they wouldn't work, it felt like just applying thick water...
It was never a matter of cheap vs. professional, and even between similar-quality similar-properties shampoos (e.g. 2 cheap chamomille shampoos) they would be completely opposite.
I never checked for presence/lack of silicones though. Could it have anything to do with it?

ursaV
July 6th, 2018, 08:56 PM
Silicones could definitely play a role, I believe ingredients that end in -cone add tons of slip, which helps your hair detangle very easily. When I was using cones I could run my fingers through my hair very easily when wet, but now that I don't condition I have to wait until it dries to even start touching it. Though they could weigh your hair down and cause build up, but then you would just have to clarify with a sulfate shampoo.

Arciela
July 7th, 2018, 06:55 AM
I could never skip conditioner as its what I use to wash my hair with :) I'm allergic to shampoo but even when I did use shampoo it was so harsh on my hair that my hair would break and become extremely tangled and unmanageable. It's odd because my hair is M/C so its pretty tough..or so I thought lol.

ShirleyAnn
July 7th, 2018, 07:33 AM
When I am taking my Dr. recommended Omega 3 for my cholesterol, I find I don't need conditioner.

lithostoic
July 7th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Just do what works for you! I have tangle prone hair so I can't skip conditioner very successfully. A moisturizing shampoo or a 2-in-1 is probably great for you c:

akurah
July 7th, 2018, 10:10 AM

No, they didn’t have SLS, they had something worse, soap. Your friends breakage could have come from anything, blaming it solely on SLS is inappropriate.

Joules
July 7th, 2018, 10:50 AM
No, they didn’t have SLS, they had something worse, soap. Your friends breakage could have come from anything, blaming it solely on SLS is inappropriate.

She had gorgeous virgin BSL length hair, her hair started breaking when she stopped using conditioner, and it went away when she started using it again. I have many more examples of it, plus I experienced it myself. SLS is a quite strong surfactant, and is drying to hair and skin. I thought it was common knowledge. Some people don't experience it that much, and some freak out and need all the moisturizers in the world. What's so inappropriate here? To each their own.

Dark40
July 7th, 2018, 11:36 AM
I have to use conditioner for my long and thick hair. Shampoo is drying to the hair. Especially, if you use the ones with sulfates in them.

lapushka
July 7th, 2018, 11:57 AM

LOL. Yeah, I know *just* what you mean! I double condition and I can still scare kids. ;)

Beckstar
July 7th, 2018, 12:32 PM
I accidentally washed my hair with dish soap the other day. I wash my hair at the kitchen sink and grabbed the wrong bottle. I didn't use conditioner but did use a lot of leave in curl cream to make up for moisture.

Andthetalltrees
July 7th, 2018, 12:38 PM
I used no conditioner for years, I grew to between TBL and Classic and it was still growing. I didn't have any breakage either, it was dry and tangle prone which is why I cut it but it wasn't necessarily in bad shape. It's better with conditioner but some people can get away without it with little to no ill effects

Peppergirl
July 7th, 2018, 01:06 PM
For years I used very little conditioner when my hair was waist length, and I should have used it. I didn't know how to battle frizz and dryness. I've learned SO much! Using conditioner now, oil, and tender care.

enting
July 7th, 2018, 01:14 PM
I spent years with no conditioner. I used vinegar rinses instead of conditioner and it gave me more slip than the conditioner provides. I'm playing around with CO at the moment because my scalp is dry, but should that not work out for me I'd probably go back to shampoo+vinegar.

ravenskey
July 7th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I would say go with what your hair likes, I cannot go without conditioner and am now CO washing, but everyone is different and if your hair doesn't like it don't use it.
Maybe as your hair gets longer your hair needs will change but for now just go with it.