PDA

View Full Version : She took my husband's hair!! Nooo!

Oskimosa
November 1st, 2008, 11:10 PM
My husband has been growing out his hair, (probably just to shoulder or so) trying CWC and Dairy Whip with me and I must say I'm jealous! He's got dark lovely curls that he has always cropped too short to show. Well, we have an interview Monday so he wanted to get it trimmed up around the ears and neck to keep it neat looking. We went to the usual place and he told her what he wanted, and she asked if he wanted it "medium length." I told her not short, just cleaned up a bit.

Well, I started reading a magazine and heard her working with the buzz trimmers... a couple minutes later I looked up and all my husband's curls were on the floor!!! :( I was really shocked she took off that much. She left a couple on the very top, but really, he look like Rick Roll. So he told her to trim that up more because it just looked silly. Then we were out and his hair was gone...

I know it will grow, and I know lots of people come here with horrible salon experiences all the time. I just really hate that my husband's hair is gone. :cry:

Robbi Dehlinger
November 1st, 2008, 11:17 PM
YIKES!

Did you ask her is she knows what medium length is???

Angellen
November 1st, 2008, 11:19 PM
Oh no! That's awful. I'm sorry this happened to you guys. Yeah, it'll grow, but still! How upsetting. Here's to fast growing, then! :toast:

QueenMadge
November 1st, 2008, 11:20 PM
Oh I am sorry! There is something about some hairstylists that they cannot admit or recognize the limits of their abilities....or they just don't communicate clearly. I came home yesterday and when my husband came out to move our cars I knew that he had gone to the local salon. My oldest son got a hack job there when he was 16. He has curly hair like mine and they didn't know how to cut it. My husband has two very prominent cowlicks, one right at the front of his hairline and one at the crown of his head.....the hairstylist gave him $2 off the 15 dollar price because she had cut a "spot" too short....it is almost bald buzz cut on the sides and back and unevenly hacked short on top.....he is pretty good about it, but I wish he didn't look like she did it with her eyes closed...

longhairedfairy
November 1st, 2008, 11:29 PM
I definitely would not pay for that.

gallows_gallery
November 1st, 2008, 11:39 PM
Oh that worries me now!!! I've got my boyfriend booked in for his first haircut in about a year and a half on Tuesday. He's got incredibly thick, golden heavy curls and little ringlets underneath. If it was straightened he'd be at BSL now, but it bounces up.

I'm really worried they're going to do an awful job - especially because his hair is curly/wavy so a swishy style is impossible.

Do you think taking in a photo is a good idea?

QueenMadge
November 1st, 2008, 11:46 PM
If you can find a photo of what he wants it to look like when the cut is done and it has the same type of hair as he does then yes definitely.

longhairedfairy
November 1st, 2008, 11:47 PM
Oh that worries me now!!! I've got my boyfriend booked in for his first haircut in about a year and a half on Tuesday. He's got incredibly thick, golden heavy curls and little ringlets underneath. If it was straightened he'd be at BSL now, but it bounces up.

I'm really worried they're going to do an awful job - especially because his hair is curly/wavy so a swishy style is impossible.

Do you think taking in a photo is a good idea?

Could you trim it for him yourself? I actually think non-straight hair is a bit easier to trim because it doesn't show if it's not quite perfect. If not, yes, take a photo.

30isthenewblack
November 2nd, 2008, 12:31 AM
I just think this is perhaps a lesson learnt. I would not know medium length was if I was a hairdresser. You need to get them to show you exactly how much they are going to cut off and then keep an eye on them cutting the hair and not read a magazine! I did not let my guard down at the hairdressers for a minute and even then they manage to cut off more than I wanted without me noticing. I don't have eyes at the back of my head! As others have said, if you can trim his hair, that would be even better. Having curly hair hides a lot of faults and if you don't trim the neatest hemline, it won't show.

longhairedfairy
November 2nd, 2008, 01:36 AM
*snip*
I don't have eyes at the back of my head!
*snip*

I do. I can prove it. *Closes front eyes and holds fingers up behind own head* I'm holding up... three fingers.
See?

manderly
November 2nd, 2008, 01:43 AM
Considering that according to so many articles and popular opinions that MY hair is LONG......lesson learned!

Keep in mind that many barbers cut for "mens" lengths. In Hawaii, many barbers cut for military and simply ask "which guard" you want (for the clippers).

Iphinoe
November 2nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
My DH had hair that was down to his collarbone, just growing it out until I could advise him on style. He has beautiful black hair that has a lot of body but is swooshy rather than wavy.

Not sure if any of y'all watch the new Battlestar Galactica, but the cut he wanted was Gaius Baltar's cut when he gets all cleaned up (and nearly murdered in the bathroom, but I digress).

We explain this to the hip male hairstylist. I get told that Mr. Scissors over there knows my DH's hair better than I do, and more or less tells me to butt out.

Silenced, I watch in horror as my DH is given a haircut that is an unholy cross between Emo, early Backstreet Boys, 1st season Friends, and the gino cut from the 90's. :scared:

I was all set to call the manager and explain that his staff was hemorrhaging customers, but DH was insistent that I leave it alone. He was really traumatized though; it was EXACTLY the haircut that he kept saying that he DIDN'T want.

It's grown out enough now that we can get it cut again, but we're so shellshocked we're afraid of venturing into another salon.

ChloeDharma
November 2nd, 2008, 05:33 AM
I just think this is perhaps a lesson learnt. I would not know medium length was if I was a hairdresser. You need to get them to show you exactly how much they are going to cut off and then keep an eye on them cutting the hair and not read a magazine! I did not let my guard down at the hairdressers for a minute and even then they manage to cut off more than I wanted without me noticing. I don't have eyes at the back of my head! As others have said, if you can trim his hair, that would be even better. Having curly hair hides a lot of faults and if you don't trim the neatest hemline, it won't show.

I agree, terms like "long" "medium" are almost meaningless really and it just leaves it up to the hairdresser to guess what you mean or just go by their idea of what that length is. You need to be VERY specific about where you want it cut to and make it plain that if it's cut any shorter you will be a very vocal unhappy customer.
I saw a hairdresser on telly recently talking about "long" hair on older women and his example of it barely touched the shoulders and was heavily layered

rymorg2
November 2nd, 2008, 06:09 AM
I'm a stylist.....I always ask questions of my clients before cutting. I would have asked "What is medium to you, do you want me to use scissors only or clippers," and shown how much I was taking off. That's not to say I haven't made my mistakes, as I'm human, but when I DON'T ask quesions is invariably when I make mistakes.

I'm sorry for your experience. Wish there was more I could do to help.

suicides_eve
November 2nd, 2008, 07:40 AM
aw thats a bummer. the buzzing sound is awful. dbf is growing his hair out and get urges to cut it every now and again.i will be in the living room and hear buzzing i run in only to find he is shaving his face. i am just waiting for the day he come out with a mohawk..

ktani
November 2nd, 2008, 07:55 AM
From my experience, good stylists listen to what their clients want. The best ones ask qustions too IMO, in case there is any misunderstanding, as many people are not able to express what they want accurately.

The worst stylists, IMO, aside from their abilities to cut and style, don't listen at all and just do what they want, thinking that they know best or don't care. I think that they are few and far between. They are the ones who no doubt make the least money because few people will part with hard earned money these days, for bad service.

ktani
November 2nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
My husband has been growing out his hair, (probably just to shoulder or so) trying CWC and Dairy Whip with me and I must say I'm jealous! He's got dark lovely curls that he has always cropped too short to show. Well, we have an interview Monday so he wanted to get it trimmed up around the ears and neck to keep it neat looking. We went to the usual place and he told her what he wanted, and she asked if he wanted it "medium length." I told her not short, just cleaned up a bit.

Well, I started reading a magazine and heard her working with the buzz trimmers... a couple minutes later I looked up and all my husband's curls were on the floor!!! :( I was really shocked she took off that much. She left a couple on the very top, but really, he look like Rick Roll. So he told her to trim that up more because it just looked silly. Then we were out and his hair was gone...

I know it will grow, and I know lots of people come here with horrible salon experiences all the time. I just really hate that my husband's hair is gone. :cry:

I am so sorry that this happened. To me there was no excuse but it is an unfortunate lesson learned.

His hair will grow back.

Even if you and your DH had been specific, it is ultimately the stylist who determines the outcome.

DavidN
November 2nd, 2008, 08:03 AM
I am so sorry to hear that your DH went through this at the hairdresser, Oskimosa, and I have heard so many horror stories of my fellow members (or their SO's) with over zealous hairdressers, one reason I stay far away from them. If you feel comfortable doing so, perhaps you could trim your DH's hair yourself next time, to avoid this happening again.

ktani
November 2nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
I am so sorry to hear that your DH went through this at the hairdresser, Oskimosa, and I have heard so many horror stories of my fellow members (or their SO's) with over zealous hairdressers, one reason I stay far away from them. If you feel comfortable doing so, perhaps you could trim your DH's hair yourself next time, to avoid this happening again.

Oskimosa

I agree although there is an alternative if that is not a route that both of you are comfortable with.

If there is a new stylist being considered, consult with them before any cutting takes place, and get a feel for how understanding and co-operative they are willing to be.

neon-dream
November 2nd, 2008, 09:04 AM
That's horrible!
I would have kicked off me like!!
:(
I hope it grows back soon!
xxx

GlennaGirl
November 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM
Uh-oh. To some people, "medium-length" on a male means a certain number clipper (such as a 4 or 5 rather than a 1 or 2).

GlennaGirl
November 2nd, 2008, 09:11 AM
Considering that according to so many articles and popular opinions that MY hair is LONG......lesson learned!

Keep in mind that many barbers cut for "mens" lengths. In Hawaii, many barbers cut for military and simply ask "which guard" you want (for the clippers).

Your hair IS long. ;) And lovely, BTW. When my bangs grow up, they want to be just like yours.

Oskimosa
November 2nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Aw, thanks so much for the support.

I think I better learn to trim it for him. I had just made up my mind not to go in and be bossy and do all the talking. I didn't want to make my husband feel like he couldn't tell the girl what he wanted. I'm going to have to get nifty with the scissors from now on!

missbexy
November 2nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
That's aweful, that's the reason my curlyhaired bf avoids hairdressers/barbers whatever. He has never been to one without them shaving his head!
If I find any good tips for cutting curly hair i'll share them with you.
Sorry you had to suffer the nightmare of all hair lovers with long haired partners.

manderly
November 2nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
Your hair IS long. ;) And lovely, BTW. When my bangs grow up, they want to be just like yours.

Hehehe, not compared to some of the longhairs we have here!!

And I bust a gut laughing at your bangs comments :)

Thank you :flower:

longhairedfairy
November 2nd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hehehe, not compared to some of the longhairs we have here!!

And I bust a gut laughing at your bangs comments

Thank you

You're getting there and it's looking nice and full:) Anyway, it is pretty long compared to the general population:) Her bangs comment made me lol:D They do look good on you, btw.