PDA

View Full Version : What does a mousse do?

SeRe
July 5th, 2018, 03:59 PM
Sorry for the dumb question but what does a mousse do? How is it different from a leave in serum?

lapushka
July 5th, 2018, 04:06 PM
A mousse is not like a leave-in, but rather like a styler or gel.

Some people can't cope with gel well, especially if you have straighter long hair, a mousse might be more suited towards your needs in that case.

SeRe
July 5th, 2018, 04:16 PM
A mousse is not like a leave-in, but rather like a styler or gel.

Some people can't cope with gel well, especially if you have straighter long hair, a mousse might be more suited towards your needs in that case.

Thank you. I’m wondering how the devacurl wave maker which is a mousse made my hair wavier even without scrunching, when compared to my hair with no product and also when compared to my hair with a silicone leave in.

Just want to understand the science behind it. I suddenly realized I have no experience with hair stylers other than a leave in with silicones.

Dark40
July 5th, 2018, 04:17 PM
I agree with lapushka. Mousse is like a styler or gel.

lapushka
July 5th, 2018, 04:34 PM
I didn't say you couldn't use a mousse if you were wavy/curly - not at all. :)

But a gel isn't exactly nice to use if you have straighter hair, you know?

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 5th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Thank you. I’m wondering how the devacurl wave maker which is a mousse made my hair wavier even without scrunching, when compared to my hair with no product and also when compared to my hair with a silicone leave in.

Just want to understand the science behind it. I suddenly realized I have no experience with hair stylers other than a leave in with silicones.

Silicones are heavy - they will weigh the wavy pattern down, thats why theyre typically avoided with CG methods.
Personally for me, they not only flatten my wave pattern but they make my ends look really thin and gives me tangles.
I stopped using silicone serum as a leave in or in LOC for this reason.

Hair with no product - well thats just how it is.

For you the mousse is just a styling agent, like gel, but its really depending on your hair texture what is best for you.
Generally I would recommend gel for fine hair or very curly/wavy hair.
I dont personally like anything at all, never tried mousse but i might eventually at some point.
If it works for you, good, keep using it.

Gels and mousse help the hair retain moisture while it dries, thats why typically you will apply it after showering on damp hair.
Thats usually what pumps up your curl pattern. Moisture. Its not that the styler is actually made of something scientifically that boost your pattern; its just helping your hair hold moisture longer and better. :) Im not a scientist though, so im sure someone here can explain it better.. or maybe im even wrong? LOL idk.
As a wavy this is just my personal experience with it!

SeRe
July 5th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Silicones are heavy - they will weigh the wavy pattern down, thats why theyre typically avoided with CG methods.
Personally for me, they not only flatten my wave pattern but they make my ends look really thin and gives me tangles.
I stopped using silicone serum as a leave in or in LOC for this reason.

Hair with no product - well thats just how it is.

For you the mousse is just a styling agent, like gel, but its really depending on your hair texture what is best for you.
Generally I would recommend gel for fine hair or very curly/wavy hair.
I dont personally like anything at all, never tried mousse but i might eventually at some point.
If it works for you, good, keep using it.

Gels and mousse help the hair retain moisture while it dries, thats why typically you will apply it after showering on damp hair.
Thats usually what pumps up your curl pattern. Moisture. Its not that the styler is actually made of something scientifically that boost your pattern; its just helping your hair hold moisture longer and better. :) Im not a scientist though, so im sure someone here can explain it better.. or maybe im even wrong? LOL idk.
As a wavy this is just my personal experience with it!

Thank you. My hair is 1c/2a with no product, 1c/2a with silicones and it’s currently at 2a/2b with the mousse and no scrunching. I’m so confused. I think it’s time I give up on trying to control my hair, it’s extremely unpredictable.

You will really like the wave maker. I would like it too if it didn’t make my hair feel so brittle. I need silicones in my life for this reason, to make my hair more resilient.

lapushka
July 5th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Thank you. My hair is 1c/2a with no product, 1c/2a with silicones and it’s currently at 2a/2b with the mousse and no scrunching. I’m so confused. I think it’s time I give up on trying to control my hair, it’s extremely unpredictable.

You will really like the wave maker. I would like it too if it didn’t make my hair feel so brittle. I need silicones in my life for this reason, to make my hair more resilient.

I thought you were trying to use henna to straighten your hair, though? Or, am I just not understanding something. I'm confused. :confused:

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 5th, 2018, 04:55 PM

I feel like deva curl products are really protein heavy, so that might be why it makes your hair feel that way.
But I might be wrong. I cant remember.

SeRe
July 5th, 2018, 04:57 PM
I thought you were trying to use henna to straighten your hair, though? Or, am I just not understanding something. I'm confused. :confused:

I am. I just tried the mousse to see what it would do, I wasn’t going for enhancing my wave pattern. I also hate wasting product so I’m trying to use it up.

SeRe
July 5th, 2018, 04:58 PM
I feel like deva curl products are really protein heavy, so that might be why it makes your hair feel that way.
But I might be wrong. I cant remember.

My hair loves protein, but it needs silicones I guess because silicones give it strength.

lapushka
July 6th, 2018, 03:54 AM
I am. I just tried the mousse to see what it would do, I wasn’t going for enhancing my wave pattern. I also hate wasting product so I’m trying to use it up.

Ah makes sense. You could technically still first use a leave-in and then the mousse, but see if it mixes well first, by squirting a little bit out in the palm of your hand and mixing it with whatever leave-in you'll be using. If it curdles or doesn't mix well, you will have flaking throughout the hair, no good. If it's a homogenous mixture, it's good to go!

Margarita
July 6th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Mousse is a great product for curly frizzy hair. Mousse can style any wave or curl you want, as much as you want. Also, its a lot better than hairspray and mousse doesnt damage hair!

lapushka
July 6th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Mousse is a great product for curly frizzy hair. Mousse can style any wave or curl you want, as much as you want. Also, its a lot better than hairspray and mousse doesnt damage hair!

Can I just say, your curls are looking really nice in your avatar! :flower:

Margarita
July 7th, 2018, 04:48 AM
Can I just say, your curls are looking really nice in your avatar! :flower:

*whisper* Thank you :agree:

lapushka
July 7th, 2018, 05:54 AM
*whisper* Thank you :agree:

:) Yes, it is *so* pretty, like Shirley Temple ringlets. OMG those are so enviable! :D Love it! Imagine with more length what that will do! You've got very pretty hair to look forward to, it is very pretty already. :)

Margarita
July 7th, 2018, 06:04 AM
:) Yes, it is *so* pretty, like Shirley Temple ringlets. OMG those are so enviable! :D Love it! Imagine with more length what that will do! You've got very pretty hair to look forward to, it is very pretty already. :)

I googled Shirley Temple, such beautiful curls, wow. Thank you again, these certain curls happen when i freshly wash my hair. You know, mousse, scrunch etc. The next day they loose a bit, they actually get looser as days pass :p I imagine my hair at classic length with those curls, i'll feel like a goddess :D
I see your own hair, wavy? Your hair roots are also straight :) I like your hair ^_^

Beckstar
July 7th, 2018, 11:02 PM
Mousse helps to keep my curls in place. I used Sauve extra hold for curl hair.

LMarie
July 10th, 2018, 02:10 PM
I like to use Herbal essence "tousle me softly" mousse for curly hair and love it! Curls and waves are soft and manageable and it does not become crunchy once dried nor does it weigh the hair down like some mousse and gel products can do.

lapushka
July 10th, 2018, 02:37 PM
I googled Shirley Temple, such beautiful curls, wow. Thank you again, these certain curls happen when i freshly wash my hair. You know, mousse, scrunch etc. The next day they loose a bit, they actually get looser as days pass :p I imagine my hair at classic length with those curls, i'll feel like a goddess :D
I see your own hair, wavy? Your hair roots are also straight :) I like your hair ^_^

Oh yes, I'm older than you, so I remember Shirley Temple, I sometimes forget that younger generations might not know her. Sorry. She was a child actress in olden days, but had really pretty curls.

Aw that's nice, thank you so much.

Kae612
July 10th, 2018, 06:44 PM
Interesting! I've tried using mouse to enhance my waviness and all it's done is make my hair tangly and sticky. I've found that a leave-in conditioner helps set curls or braid waves stay better (and not tangle). Nothing really encourages my natural waviness, it's just temperamental.

DweamGoiL
July 10th, 2018, 06:56 PM
I would use mousse for lift at the roots only not throughout the rest of the hair.