PDA

View Full Version : Favourite oil blends for dry skin and hair?

Hairismypower
July 5th, 2018, 01:33 PM
I want to buy a bunch of oils but I keep wanting more and more. I'm trying to cut down on what I need not because I care about the money but because I don't want to waste it. So far I know for sure I want rosehip and argan and apricot seed oil. I'm stuck over whether I should get jojoba and borage seed. It got me thinking though. What are your favourite oils, specifically how many in a blend and how much if each? Also what's better? Thicker oils that are more protective and stay on the skin or oils that get absorbed and sink in?

lapushka
July 5th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Try one oil at a time. It's no good just going into it without a little bit of research into what oil might be best suited for your needs.

Jojoba is the closest to natural sebum, so it's a good oil to start with.

Hairismypower
July 5th, 2018, 03:34 PM
I already use oils. I have a gorgeous rose oil from innate life with a whole blend of oils. And I also use coconut oil, almond and avacado. I just wanted to buy more exotic oils to try out. I'm really curious on the effect it'll have on my hair. Do you use any oil blends to counteract frizz or just one oil?

lapushka
July 5th, 2018, 04:36 PM
I already use oils. I have a gorgeous rose oil from innate life with a whole blend of oils. And I also use coconut oil, almond and avacado. I just wanted to buy more exotic oils to try out. I'm really curious on the effect it'll have on my hair. Do you use any oil blends to counteract frizz or just one oil?

I use baby oil, sometimes the regular J&J one, sometimes a more natural one that consists of sweet almond oil with organic camomile extract.

Arciela
July 5th, 2018, 04:39 PM
I like JBCO for my scalp and vatika coconut oil on the length :flower:

I have a dry scalp and it seems to help a lot! I just use a little bit.

Groovy Granny
July 5th, 2018, 04:43 PM
I use this one for hair and body :love: https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-300927-now-foods-massage-oil-tranquil-rose-8-fl-oz?redirect=1

For my hair I mix it 50/50 with mineral oil and I love to add rose oil extract for a little extra fragrance; alone it has a mild rose scent.

It is very light and just a few drops goes a long way.

ETA Ingredients: Almond Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Rose Hip Seed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Rose Absolute, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E) (from soy).

nycelle
July 5th, 2018, 04:46 PM
What do you want to use the oils for?

I use either Argan or Sweet Almond oil for a little extra slip on my ends when I need it. I find other oils too heavy for the way I use them.

Cherriezzzzz
July 5th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Frizz elimination? Coconut oil hands down. I like jojoba for daily wear, argan is the best. I like Apple Valley Naturals for both. I buy organic coconut at the food store.

Hairismypower
July 5th, 2018, 05:32 PM
I like using coconut oil for masks and when why hair is wet and unlike to use a blend with essential oils for daily use. I want the oils to make a face oil, hair oil and scalp oil. I fell in love with rose essential oil so I wanna make one based on that. I have sensitive skin so for my face I wanna use argan jojoba and rosehip with a drop of rose oil. For my hair I'm not sure yet but I wanna experiment with what my hair likes I think a mix of thick and dry oils to get the most benefit. I finally just bought myself some rose oil it's so expensive. I'm not sure yet what essential oils go with it. I'm thinking a bit of orange camomile lavender and an earthy one like carrot seed, vetiver it frankincense. Oh and I decided on the oils. I'm gonna get apricot, argan, jojoba, rosehip and some wheatgerm for the vitamin e antioxidant in it. I'm also gonna get some rosemary and rose hydrosols. I'm a bit crazy because I wanted the best quality so I found a place in France it's all organic and unrefined which surprisingly is hard to find. Am I crazy? I'm gonna spend £120 in all!

elborghere
July 5th, 2018, 08:50 PM
This is my first post after lurking here for years! Jojoba for the scalp, and coconut oil with a little lavender eo for the length is all I ever used to need:)

Hairismypower
July 5th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Haha that's cool so hear glad I can get you out of your cave. I'm a newbie on here if you can't tell.

How do you use jojoba on your scalp? As a mask before showering or a moisturiser? I always wonder if I can use some sort of daily scalp moisturiser because my length loves it when I don't wash for 10 days but my scalp gets a bit dry and itchy after a few days. Aveda has this crazy expensive daily thing for the scalp but it's £35 for 70ml! I'd prefer to make myself a natural one.

I like using either coconut oil, honey and cinnamon as a mask or any oil with rosemary and lavender essential oils. And my hair likes coconut oil on wet hair but not dry. A drier oil's better for my lengths.

Hairismypower
July 5th, 2018, 09:23 PM
Do you use it on your scalp daily or as a scalp massage? I really like jbco but I'll get that when I've gone through these oils. There's so many gorgeous oils out there!

Hairismypower
July 5th, 2018, 09:25 PM
Sorry guys I've no clue how to use this site. I hope you can work out who I'm replying to. Which button do I press to reply to a comment. Lol.

Hairismypower
July 5th, 2018, 09:32 PM
I use this one for hair and body :love: https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-300927-now-foods-massage-oil-tranquil-rose-8-fl-oz?redirect=1

For my hair I mix it 50/50 with mineral oil and I love to add rose oil extract for a little extra fragrance; alone it has a mild rose scent.

It is very light and just a few drops goes a long way.

ETA Ingredients: Almond Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Rose Hip Seed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Rose Absolute, Rosemary Extract and Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E) (from soy).

Those ingredients sound gorgeous! It's almost what I wanna make myself. I've bought jojoba apricot argan and rosehip. I also bought wheatgerm instead of vitamin e because I thought it was more natural. I'm using it as an antioxidant for the other oils I think if I use three times the amount of wheatgerm than I'd usually use if vitamin e it'll be the same amount. Plus it'll have four types of vitamin e not just one. Oh and I bought real rose essential oil (it was £40!) But I'm so excited it smells absolutely heavenly! But I've no clue what it goes with. The essential oils I have are orange lavender rosemary black pepper camomile carrot seed and now rose. Dunno if any of those would go with it though.

Groovy Granny
July 5th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Use the middle button 'reply with a quote' for 1 person.

For multiple quotes use the "+ button on the right for each quote and then the last one use the 'reply with a quote' and they will all copy to your composition page where you can edit it if you like before posting. :)

ETA:

Those ingredients sound gorgeous! It's almost what I wanna make myself. I've bought jojoba apricot argan and rosehip. I also bought wheatgerm instead of vitamin e because I thought it was more natural. I'm using it as an antioxidant for the other oils I think if I use three times the amount of wheatgerm than I'd usually use if vitamin e it'll be the same amount. Plus it'll have four types of vitamin e not just one. Oh and I bought real rose essential oil (it was £40!) But I'm so excited it smells absolutely heavenly! But I've no clue what it goes with. The essential oils I have are orange lavender rosemary black pepper camomile carrot seed and now rose. Dunno if any of those would go with it though.

You got it lol :thumbsup:

That sounds like fun...and interesting!

I guess just make samples to test your mixtures :hmm:

Hairismypower
July 5th, 2018, 10:00 PM
Use the middle button 'reply with a quote' for 1 person.

For multiple quotes use the "+ button on the right for each quote and then the last one use the 'reply with a quote' and they will all copy to your composition page where you can edit it if you like before posting. :)

Ok I'm worked out the first bit second bit I'll just have to work out. Thanks.

You got it lol :thumbsup:

That sounds like fun...and interesting!

I guess just make samples to test your mixtures :hmm:

I know! I'm so into aromatherapy right now I just want to make loads of oils for everything. And I know I can sample them but I just wanted someone to give me the perfect recipe.

Groovy Granny
July 5th, 2018, 10:09 PM
I know! I'm so into aromatherapy right now I just want to make loads of oils for everything. And I know I can sample them but I just wanted someone to give me the perfect recipe.
I think it still comes down to YOUR nose to determine 'perfection' ;)

Aromatherapy is lovely ~ I like florals....rose, lilac etc :love:

I am not too creative....I just add essential oils to mineral oil until my nose is happy :lol:

Hairismypower
July 5th, 2018, 10:15 PM
I think it still comes down to YOUR nose to determine 'perfection' ;)

Aromatherapy is lovely ~ I like florals....rose, lilac etc :love:

I am not too creative....I just add essential oils to mineral oil until my nose is happy :lol:

Yeah I'm.a bit obsessed at the moment. Made an oil with German camomile and you know how you always hear it's meant to relax you. Well I was so surprised but after using it I literally felt high as if if taken a sleeping pill, valium or smoked weed. It was so weird and amazing I couldn't focus on anything and I was so out of it.

Can I ask why you use mineral oil instead of a normal carrier oil? I've heard it's not good for you. What are the benefits of it?

Hairismypower
July 5th, 2018, 10:18 PM
Oh and I've never tried lilac but I really want to at some point. Also neroli Jasmine violet and ylang ylang. At the moment I'm sticking to rose though. Btw if you want an amazing oil there's a Canadian brand called the innate life they make a rose hair elixir that smells heavenly and does wonders for my hair.

Groovy Granny
July 5th, 2018, 10:21 PM
Yeah I'm.a bit obsessed at the moment. Made an oil with German camomile and you know how you always hear it's meant to relax you. Well I was so surprised but after using it I literally felt high as if if taken a sleeping pill, valium or smoked weed. It was so weird and amazing I couldn't focus on anything and I was so out of it.

Can I ask why you use mineral oil instead of a normal carrier oil? I've heard it's not good for you. What are the benefits of it?

Mineral oil is fine....it is cheap and easily accessible.....no real benefits except being a light oil on my fine silver ;)

After 66+ years of use on me and my babies/grandbabies, I don't find it to be harmful and a number of LHC peeps use it :shrug:

lapushka
July 6th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Oils don't have to be expensive. ;) I think £120 is quite a bit of money. Honestly any oil will do and you don't need to go out of your way to get it from a special place. Oil = oil. A whole foods (in the US) should carry nice quality oils. And in the UK and Belgium a Holland & Barrett shop will do them too.

Hairismypower
July 6th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Oils don't have to be expensive. ;) I think £120 is quite a bit of money. Honestly any oil will do and you don't need to go out of your way to get it from a special place. Oil = oil. A whole foods (in the US) should carry nice quality oils. And in the UK and Belgium a Holland & Barrett shop will do them too.

Yes it is pretty expensive though I didn't spend that much on just oils I bought maybe five oils each worth around £5-6. And I do find there's a difference in quality. And yes all oils should work but I do find that certain oils work better and that my skin and hair likes a blend. The rest of the money was on rose essential oil and camomile (for relaxation) and a few bits and bobs.

Does anyone use wooden brushes? I use Tek ones and they really are the best brushes I've ever used. I prefer the long pins not just because I have thicker hair but cuz it gives more of a massaging effect.

MusicalSpoons
July 7th, 2018, 08:41 AM

I've only ever found Holland and Barrett EOs to smell terrible, unfortunately. I kept trying over a few years, hoping the quality might improve, but nope. I didn't realise how bad they were though until I bought some on sale elsewhere, including a lavender EO that actually smelled of lavender! :laugh: not sure what H&B are like for carrier oils as I've always found food grade oils cheaper elsewhere. (Not wishing to malign H&B in any way; I'm actually a regular customer for other things when they have sales on :D )

OP I have nothing to really contribute because the last few times I've attempted to make oil blends, I've just ended up all confused and used the oils separately, and I can't remember what effects any of them had. I hope you're having fun experimenting though! (Do you mind if I ask where you bought your EOs from? The last good ones I bought were on eBay but the seller is no longer on there :( )

lapushka
July 7th, 2018, 10:10 AM
I have EOs from Holland and Barrett and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. :shrug: Maybe I have a tough nose (I've said that before). LOL!

Hairismypower
July 7th, 2018, 01:35 PM
I've only ever found Holland and Barrett EOs to smell terrible, unfortunately. I kept trying over a few years, hoping the quality might improve, but nope. I didn't realise how bad they were though until I bought some on sale elsewhere, including a lavender EO that actually smelled of lavender! :laugh: not sure what H&B are like for carrier oils as I've always found food grade oils cheaper elsewhere. (Not wishing to malign H&B in any way; I'm actually a regular customer for other things when they have sales on :D )

OP I have nothing to really contribute because the last few times I've attempted to make oil blends, I've just ended up all confused and used the oils separately, and I can't remember what effects any of them had. I hope you're having fun experimenting though! (Do you mind if I ask where you bought your EOs from? The last good ones I bought were on eBay but the seller is no longer on there :( )

I just spent ages writing you a whole long thing with loads of information and it expired ! 😥 Sighhhh .. I'll write you another one.

Holland and Barrett are ok they're not terrible but you good oils are ten times better and you can tell the difference. The trick is to buy oils from suppliers not stores. They're a little cheaper (lavender will be about £2 instead of £8). You do have to pay delivery though for these shops. If you can't afford delivery I would recommend either tisserand, Baldwin's or Julia lawless as a bit better than Holland and Barrett. My two favourite places are butterbur and sage for essential oils (because I've never found a place that sells unrefined oils in England) and florihana in France which sells organic unrefined Cartier oils and food grade essential oils. They're not that much more expensive than Holland and Barrett because they are a supplier buy you have to pay £13 for delivery. I think it's worth it though for the quality and if you buy a bulk order. Here's a link to suppliers around the world https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/where-to-buy-essential-oils-for-soapmaking/ I don't recommend new directions though. And all the places in England will have maybe two carrier oils that are unrefined. Do beware of that unless you don't mind refined oils.

I have EOs from Holland and Barrett and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. :shrug: Maybe I have a tough nose (I've said that before). LOL!

There's nothing wrong with that! All essential oils are good but it's the like if you care about fresh food or cheaper maybe frozen ones. It's ok if you don't and ok if you do it's just what your priorities are.

I personally have an extremely sensitive nose I can smell off things days before other people can. I can't stand artificial smells I hate deodorant (sprays) and toilet sprays.

So for an oil blend you have to work out what works best for you. I read this article recently about the penetration of oils and which ones are best for gliding over hair and which ones actually get inside the hair follicle. I personally love coconut but I find most oils on their own aren't amazing for my hair. I get the best effect from a mix. I'd say try three oils to start with. The bill should be a thicker oils such as coconut, olive, sunflower and avacado. Then put maybe two of these; rosehip, argan, jojoba, hemp, wheatgerm, borage, tamanu, apricot, peach, macadamia, moringa, almond and castor. If you want some expensive oils you can use; rasberry, blueberry, cucumber, pomegranate, flax, broccoli, prickly pear. Try get some vitamin e and put between 0.5-1% in your oil or you can use wheatgerm oil which has very high vitamin e levels, use between 5-10%. Vitamin e is an antioxidant which means it can stop oils going rancid (oxidising). Heat light and air all make oils oxidise faster so keep your old in dark glass bottles, don't leave them.open and keep in a cool dark place. Oxidisation is when something such as a UV ray passes through a molecule pushing out one of the electrons. This destabilises the molecule causing it to grab molecules from other molecules such as ones in your cells. This then creates a snowball effect of molecules in your body grabbing electrons to stabilise themselves. Antioxidants have an extra extra so they can give it away freely with hurting itself. Sorry for the impromptu science lesson.

Hairismypower
July 7th, 2018, 02:02 PM
Here's the link to the article http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html?m=1

Nathalie1985
November 2nd, 2018, 03:02 PM
The best oils so far that i can't imagine living without are Argan oil and Castor oil. I tried so many other oils for my dry skin, but it didn't help. i'm one of those who walks with a cream lotion in her hands Lol my skin gets dry and i used to suffer in the cold winter. Argan oil is expensive, but not really for me, a couple of drops help my skin to stay moisturized for hours, and it's organic, that's the good thing about it. i found a formula that contains argan oil and castor oil, that might be an option for you, and they worked awesome for my hair. you can check it out here https://www.frommoroko.com/product/hair-growth-oil-argan-oil-castor-oil/ :toast:

Milady_DeWinter
November 2nd, 2018, 03:19 PM
Avocado oil to me. I have very dry skin, and it also feels light on my hair. And it's not expensive at all, I found it in a grocery herbal store near home :)

Ligeia Noire
November 2nd, 2018, 03:20 PM
Argan oil all the way too. I have a dry scalp and therefore I rub it with argan oil the day before wash and it helps a lot. I have castor too and I do use it sometimes but it needs to be mixed with a lighter oil like jojoba because it is thick and I am lazy so i end up not using it as often but yeah those two without a doubt.

Eastbound&Down
November 2nd, 2018, 07:02 PM
Jamaican Black Castor Oil and coconut oil mixture is my go-to for skin and hair.

shaluwm_agape
November 2nd, 2018, 07:44 PM
Avocado and Marula oil

Twig
November 3rd, 2018, 10:08 AM
I should have read the label before I bought the "Love and Planet" brand. It was having kind of a rebound dryness effect on my hair, well, there's alcohol on the ingredient list! So it's back to argan oil for me, and I'm using the L&P stuff for my skin, so not a complete loss!

MusicalSpoons
November 3rd, 2018, 11:26 AM
I should have read the label before I bought the "Love and Planet" brand. It was having kind of a rebound dryness effect on my hair, well, there's alcohol on the ingredient list! So it's back to argan oil for me, and I'm using the L&P stuff for my skin, so not a complete loss!

What type of alcohol? If it's straight 'alcohol' or 'alcohol denat' then yes, that would certainly account for dryness. There are other ingredients that contain the word alcohol but are in fact conditioning ingredients, e.g. cetyl alcohol

lapushka
November 3rd, 2018, 04:36 PM
What type of alcohol? If it's straight 'alcohol' or 'alcohol denat' then yes, that would certainly account for dryness. There are other ingredients that contain the word alcohol but are in fact conditioning ingredients, e.g. cetyl alcohol

Yes that's important. The only drying alcohol (a bad alcohol) is alcohol denat. (denatured alcohol) - the rest are probably moisturizing alcohols and they aren't problematic at all.

lillii
November 3rd, 2018, 10:28 PM
I love extra virgin olive oil for my hair. I use extra virgin olive oil and then shea butter for my skin (body,) it really helps with dryness and vitamin E for my face.

ArabellaRose
November 4th, 2018, 02:15 AM
I did a blend of chamomile, rosemary and cedarwood essential oils in the last of my coconut oil last week and my hair loved it. Today I'll be popping into town to find a replacement for my coconut oil, don't know if I should keep with it or try something else (thinking of trying to track down some avocado oil or try extra virgin olive oil).

For daily use my hair likes argan oil.

Hairkay
November 5th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I keep things simple, one oil at a time. I choose from coconut oil, olive oil or almond oil. There has been the one occasion that I tried avocado oil. Really I have no need for a huge oil list or ready made serums.