PDA

View Full Version : Is this going to damage my hair?

hellomimi
July 5th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Hello lovely people!

Lately I have been wearing a velvet ribbon in my hair a bit like this:
https://media.glamour.com/photos/5a3c0c5c0b5ab95719b57aaf/master/w_1250,c_limit/winterponytails-instagram-tracehenningsen.jpg
(hopefully the link works).

The fact that is velvet makes it stay in my hair quite well but I was concerned about damage not only because is a low pony tail ( and so my hair rubs against my neck) but for the material itself.
It feels quite soft and I looove the look but I want to keep my hair healthy :hmm:

Note that I have APL hair that is pretty straight

Do you have any experience or suggestions?

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 5th, 2018, 11:59 AM
I don’t think it would hurt your hair.
As long as it’s soft I think you’ll be ok. :)

Andthetalltrees
July 5th, 2018, 12:40 PM
I've always heard ribbons and that kind of thing is actually really good for your hair since it doesn't bind it tightly. Either way I tie up my braids with velvet ribbons sometimes and never noticed it causing issue

Arciela
July 5th, 2018, 01:07 PM
I've used velvet ribbons for years and never had damage, I think it would be okay :)

lapushka
July 5th, 2018, 01:12 PM
It's fine! :D Don't worry too much. You are still allowed to have fun with your hair. :)

Spikey
July 5th, 2018, 02:28 PM
I agree with the others that velvet probably isn't damaging, but wearing a ponytail in the same place day after day can sometimes cause wear and tear over time. If you wear your low ponytail daily, you might want to move it around (positioning it higher or lower) occasionally so there isn't as much strain on the same spot. Just to be safe.

hellomimi
July 5th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Thank you! it's true that it's ok not to worry too much but I am still so early in my hair journey, I don't want to ruin them at the start..

Dark40
July 5th, 2018, 04:15 PM
I agree with everyone. It will fine to wear that type of ribbon in your hair. I also used to wear all sorts of ribbons in my hair when I was younger too, and I never had an issue with damage. Your hair is beautiful btw. :) I love the blonde hair color!

hellomimi
July 5th, 2018, 11:42 PM
I agree with everyone. It will fine to wear that type of ribbon in your hair. I also used to wear all sorts of ribbons in my hair when I was younger too, and I never had an issue with damage. Your hair is beautiful btw. :) I love the blonde hair color!

Thanks! I love it too but unfortunately is just a picture from the internet, my hair is actually medium brown, red :o

Groovy Granny
July 5th, 2018, 11:55 PM
Enjoy your hair....that is a safe and pretty style :thumbsup:

I often wear low/loose ponytails and have had no damage on my fine silver :shrug: