PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil on wet hair?

softheartedandl
July 4th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Okay so, I wash my hair every other day (I know this seems like a lot, but trust me when I say it's what's best for my scalp. I also use safe shampoos and conditioners!) and I wash at night to give my hair the hours it needs to air dry. On the nights that I don't wash my hair I put some coconut oil or avocado oil on the ends of my hair and a little bit on the length of my hair. Now I was watching a youtube video by Sandra Perez (she's super pretty and has super gorgeous hair! I think most of her videos are workout videos but she has the occasional hair video) and she put coconut oil on her wet hair after she washed and conditioned it. Have any of you ever tried this and does it work better then applying it to dry hair the day after a wash?I don't put anything on my hair after I wash it because I've only just recently conditioned it, but I thought this might be an interesting way to try for a little bit. If I did apply coconut oil to freshly washed hair, do you think I would have to reapply some before my next wash?

ravenskey
July 4th, 2018, 11:30 AM
I put coconut oil on my hair after I CO wash, it's just part of my routine and makes my hair feel nice.
I also put oil on my hair every morning and evening when I don't wash too but I only wash every 10 days.

It really depends on your hair because mine just likes to have a lot of oil on it.

daisy rei
July 4th, 2018, 05:46 PM
My hair dries greasy when I oil it while wet. I also have oily hair naturally though.

Arciela
July 4th, 2018, 06:19 PM
At most I put a drop of oil in my hands and smooth it on the length, and JBCO (tiny, tiny bit) on my scalp. I have thick and dry hair and sometimes if I am not careful mine looks greasy.

TreesOfEternity
July 4th, 2018, 09:55 PM
My hair dries greasy when I oil it while wet. I also have oily hair naturally though.

My fine hair does the same, have you tried baby oil? I purchased mineral oil the other day just to try it, put 6 drops on damp hair and wow... looks awesome. Natural oils never worked on damp hair but this one did the trick.

Jo Ann
July 4th, 2018, 10:09 PM
Putting a small bit of coconut oil on my hair when it's wet is the ONLY way my hair likes coconut oil done on a regular basis! It's not too happy if I use it on dry hair... :shrug:

softheartedandl
July 4th, 2018, 10:34 PM
Thanks, everyone, for you answers!

MidnightMoon
July 5th, 2018, 12:15 AM
I remember reading someone here saying you're supposed to oil when wet/damp, to keep the moisture in, that doing it on dry hair isn't really effective because your hair doesn't really absorb the oil, it just has to keep the water you use in it there. Now I don't know if that's true or not. I usually oiled dry hair because it makes hair softer and easier to comb. I've stopped oiling, though, because I feel it makes my hair collect too much dust and tangle more. I also feel it's oilier when I oil it damp, and it's harder to control how much you use and distribute it because my hair sticks together, but I don't think that's bad, it just might not look great or be inconvenient if you try to stretch washes at some point.

lapushka
July 5th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Yes you can use an oil on damp (after towel) hair, as a "serum" of some sorts; all you need is a couple drops, spread through palms and applied. You don't want it to get too oily.

Cherriezzzzz
July 5th, 2018, 04:55 PM
It can get too oily, you got to figure out how much your hair needs. When I apply coconut oil on my wet hair it turns out VERY curly and very nice! Can't hurt to try it, it washes right out!

elborghere
July 5th, 2018, 09:02 PM
My hair is very short right now, but for my own head, I used to sometimes use a teeeeeny bit of oil on damp hair after a wash--just to seal everything in (only from ears down). I have fine hair, so I would get just enough oil on my hands to make my palms shiny, then I'd run that over the length. I'd add a little essential oil to that too for a pretty scent.

Peppergirl
July 6th, 2018, 05:43 AM
I put coconut oil on right after wash when wet, then every morning while styling. Only a tiny bit on finger tips. Working wonderful for me!

softheartedandl
July 6th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Hi everyone! I put some on my ends yesterday evening after I washed and I really like the results! I'll probably put a little more on tonight but I'm quite happy!

lapushka
July 6th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Hi everyone! I put some on my ends yesterday evening after I washed and I really like the results! I'll probably put a little more on tonight but I'm quite happy!

Be careful because it can get oily faster than you think. Only use a couple drops, and I'm not just saying that. :)

RedStripe
July 6th, 2018, 12:29 PM
I oil when damp (and not at any other time), and only use a verrrrrrry tiny amount of oil. (Usually just one drop. Hard to judge that amount with coconut oil, which is often solid except in warm weather, but I have been using different oils lately instead of coconut.)

Hairkay
July 6th, 2018, 12:36 PM
My MO is a tiny bit of oil (coconut or other oils) on damp hair ends. Occasionally when a patch of scalp is giving trouble then I'll put a little olive oil on that bit of dry scalp as as prewash treatment.

Dee94
February 28th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Is coconut oil more on the moisturizing or protein like side?

daisy rei
February 28th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Is coconut oil more on the moisturizing or protein like side?

There is no protein in coconut oil. It's considered the most moisturizing oil because its chemical properties allow it to absorb into the hair shaft more than any other oil.

Hailey
February 28th, 2019, 04:23 PM
thanks this is super helpful!

Dee94
February 28th, 2019, 06:28 PM
There is no protein in coconut oil. It's considered the most moisturizing oil because its chemical properties allow it to absorb into the hair shaft more than any other oil.

Sweet, thanks. I always wondered about that.

Zorya
March 1st, 2019, 08:35 AM
A lot of people oil directly after washing. The only time I use oils on dry hair is when I'm oiling the night before I'm washing my hair, or if I need a bit of frizz control in between washes. That being said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you already have a good routine, you don't necessarily need to change it.

Dee94
March 1st, 2019, 12:19 PM
I love putting coconut oil in my hair, and, will probably always do so.

Zesty
March 1st, 2019, 03:08 PM
I remember reading someone here saying you're supposed to oil when wet/damp, to keep the moisture in, that doing it on dry hair isn't really effective because your hair doesn't really absorb the oil, it just has to keep the water you use in it there. Now I don't know if that's true or not. I usually oiled dry hair because it makes hair softer and easier to comb. I've stopped oiling, though, because I feel it makes my hair collect too much dust and tangle more. I also feel it's oilier when I oil it damp, and it's harder to control how much you use and distribute it because my hair sticks together, but I don't think that's bad, it just might not look great or be inconvenient if you try to stretch washes at some point.

It depends on the oil. Some of them do absorb. I always reference this post: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html

Of course, I use amla oil (mineral oil based) on dry hair and it works great for me, so even "sealing" oils can be used on dry hair.

I only use coconut oil on dry hair under a heat cap before I wash, mostly because DH keeps our place so cold that I think it would solidify on my hair if I used it as a leave-in. But you can use it however works for you.

RottenMango
April 25th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Yup, I always do what she does and she has gorgeous, extremely healthy hair. For my hair, products seem to only absorb on wet/damp hair so I always apply my products to wet or damp hair. If I try to apply product to dry hair, it literally just sits there and will make my hair feel both greasy and crunchy.