PDA

View Full Version : Layers in longhair: yay or nay?

thunderseed
July 3rd, 2018, 10:06 PM
Any longhairs have layers? Do you like the look of layers or prefer the same length all over for growing it out? Are layers easy to upkeep and style? Easy to trim yourself? Do you have any pictures you'd like to share? :cool:

Robi-Bird
July 3rd, 2018, 10:11 PM
For me layers are essential. My hair just gets... big without layers to lighten it up, and bring my waves out. I don't cut them myself, I get scissor happy, but there are methods people use here with considerable success.

MidnightMoon
July 3rd, 2018, 11:11 PM
I believe this has been asked already :p
I don't like layers, personally, I think they make hair look messy unless it's very coarse and thick, and even then, not a fan. My hair is fine and wavy, so it already has a certain un-evenness to it, flyaways, and can easily look unkempt even if I'm aiming for the contrary.
Perhaps on short hair they can add some action and movement.

I had layers a few years ago. I think they made my hair seem wavier also. It was shorter back then, and the shorter pieces would curl, giving an overall curlier/wavier look.
These days I only have two lengths, main length at tailbone, and front pieces around APL because I was tired of the bleach and dryness about a year ago and cut that hair to chin, but I'm growing it out.

illicitlizard
July 4th, 2018, 03:55 AM
I think they're often more trouble than they're worth for longer hair... I really like having them when my mane is shoulder length, but you have to get trims pretty regularly (I wouldn't trust myself to do it) or it just looks super messy. Also major flyaways if you ever want to do braids ime. But it depends what you like, how thick your hair is etc. Oh and if you're cutting them into long hair and you want layers starting quite high up I'd imagine growing them all to the same length if you got sick of them would be kinda tedious.

Simsy
July 4th, 2018, 04:23 AM
Depends on personal preference, there are no hard and fast rules for this one. I did have layers down to about hip, but I find them to be a complete PITA to deal with; and I’m too lazy with trims to maintain them properly. If you like them, you will probably be a bit more dedicated about upkeep than I was.

As for trimming, there are few methods you can use depending on what sort of layers you want. I think Lapushka has a good method if you ask her. If you aren’t confident with self-trimming or stressed about uneven layers, I highly recommend a professional hairdresser; at least to cut them in the first time. Might also be well worth trying out a few styles and deciding how short you are prepared to go; then ask the hair dress or to go at least 4 inches longer, just in case things don’t work according to plan A.

Layers will mean flyways and some sections will need alternative methods of restraint. But they are definitely doable and can look gorgeous if you rock the look.

lapushka
July 4th, 2018, 05:55 AM
Any longhairs have layers? Do you like the look of layers or prefer the same length all over for growing it out? Are layers easy to upkeep and style? Easy to trim yourself? Do you have any pictures you'd like to share? :cool:

I have layers according to the compact cut method for layering; this means simply I make a ponytail on my forehead and snip a bit off (when I'm trimming). In my signature you can see the results on classic hair. Shortest layers waist, longest classic and a V-cut.

If it weren't for the layers I would have to stop growing at waist. Honestly the bulk of the hair (it's iii) - just way too much to handle all even.

So you can see in the signature pic.

Aredhel
July 4th, 2018, 07:18 AM
As someone with hair on the thinner side (I know I'm average, but the bottom half of my hair is dramatically thinner than the upper half), layers do not flatter my hair in the slightest. I think they look wonderful in thicker hair though. :)

Zesty
July 4th, 2018, 07:57 AM
I don't have layers and I don't generally like the look of them on very long hair. And for myself, I think it would thin out my hair too much (it's already pretty tapered) and make my favorite hairstyles more difficult. It seems that iii members are more likely to be fans of layers.

AutobotsAttack
July 4th, 2018, 08:58 AM
I don’t mind layers. I think hair in general is unique, regardless of what opinions people have.

I don’t particularly trim my hair, and my hair has shifted from a W to a deep V taper, which I don’t mind. Since it’s what my hair will do if I trim or not.

To each their own.

Deborah
July 4th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Mostly I don't like the look of layered hair, so no layers for me.

ravenskey
July 4th, 2018, 09:21 AM
I think it's more down to personal preference but do think about getting layers for a bit because if you don't like them it'll take quite a while to grow them out.

If you like putting your hair in plaits I would say don't get them because they will stick out all over the place(this is why I don't have layers).

Lizabeth94
July 4th, 2018, 09:30 AM
I like how layers lighten my hair, but hate how they make it difficult to braid and style. Braids hold much better when hair is all one length, as do buns although i dont normally wear buns as they make my head hurt. If i want to lighten my hair i use thinning scissors instead, preferably on the hair that grows at the nape of my neck, for appearances sake i never thin the hair that grows from the crown of my head giving my hair a solid appearance.

Arciela
July 4th, 2018, 09:45 AM
I love the way layers look but hate what happens when doing braids and updos >.< I am growing out some now and its a bit of a pain if I want to do a braid. I don't think I'll ever want any again, I am low maintenance so less is more, for me anyway :flower:

lapushka
July 4th, 2018, 10:05 AM
If you like putting your hair in plaits I would say don't get them because they will stick out all over the place(this is why I don't have layers).

I have no issue with that, but I braid until about waist (where my layers start) and then leave a lot of taper.

Guitargod
July 4th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Someone in here wrote that fairy tails look good on other people. I feel the same about layers:) If you like them then go for it.

AmaryllisRed
July 4th, 2018, 11:01 AM
I love the way layers look and feel. I have often had them. But since about waist length, I almost always wear my hair up, and I do find layers annoying for buns and braids.
I currently have one layer about 4" shorter than my length and then my bangs are almost chin length, so I've always got ends poking out everywhere. I wouldn't mind going back to one length.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 6th, 2018, 06:10 PM
I love layers but with my hair, it makes it look very thin at the bottom.
I wish my hair was just a .5” thicker because then maybe I could but with the layers in my hair now which is small and longer, my ends, the last 3 inches of my hair just look so thin. Layers just remove so much hair that can be utilized for styling.

spidermom
July 6th, 2018, 06:58 PM
I don't know where people get hair "all one length". I've always got about a billion layers because I have hairs in a billion stages of growth, from those that are barely peaking out of the hair follicle to the longest hairs. Whether I've got layers or not, I've got hairs sticking out all along my braids; they look something like bottle washers after a few hours. Same with buns: no matter what, I get so many individual hairs working their way loose and waving around that I look like a demented bag lady after a few hours.

I like the look of layers when my hair is down; they flow so beautifully.

Groovy Granny
July 6th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Same here...I have new growth from crown to hemline = curl explosions esp. in humid weather :p

Growing out my layers from chin length was a royal pain...lots of shredding in buns and braids and they thinned my fine hair hemline too much.

So I will make do with managing my 'natural layers' as best I can as they grow along, and celebrate new growth :cheer:

lithostoic
July 7th, 2018, 09:14 AM
I like layers on me. Not extreme ones (anymore), just a few. Been thinking about face framing layers for a while to add interest to my updos. Long layers make it easier for me to bun my hair. I'm noticing as my damage is trimmed out it's harder to make a bun stay because of the thickness. Another bonus of layers is that they bring out the waves near my face that normally don't come out c:

*Wednesday*
July 7th, 2018, 04:22 PM
As someone with hair on the thinner side (I know I'm average, but the bottom half of my hair is dramatically thinner than the upper half), layers do not flatter my hair in the slightest. I think they look wonderful in thicker hair though. :)

I agree layers look flattering on thicker hair and I believe as Midnightmoon said coarser hair. They seem more defined.

My hair does not look good layered. My hair is fine as well and layers take away from the thickness. You can't see them. They can look gorgeous in the right head of hair with a great cut.

mrsmushroom
July 21st, 2018, 06:43 PM
I had layers but they make braiding a hastle, which is my go-to hairstyle, so I am growing them out now.

sophia_
July 21st, 2018, 07:43 PM
I like a little bit of a face frame to leave out of buns sometimes because I look like Miss Trunchbull from the movie Matilda if I put all my hair back, but otherwise I've decided at this length I prefer a blunt cut. I had layers a couple of years ago, and they are a huge commitment as they take years to grow out! They made my thin hair look even thinner unless I styled them every day, so I'm glad I made the decision to grow them out before I fried off all my hair, lol.