PDA

View Full Version : How many times do you actually wear your hair down?

Milkchocolate
July 3rd, 2018, 11:59 AM
It was a question I got that made me think! The majority of my time I always wear it up! it’s grown to almost my knees, and to the point of annoyance. (Ex: sitting on it, bf accidentally pulling it, getting in my face during windy days, getting caught on everything, extreme tangles, just being in the way) and even though there a lot of cons, I still love my hair and would never part with it ❤️ I try to wear it down at least during the weekends.

Next question is, when do you actually wear your hair down?
I wear it down during formal things or when I’m actually trying to put the effort to look nice..but at the expense of my comfort haha. Am I the only one who finds my long hair extremely uncomfortable when I wear it down? I will do it and feel wonderful, but the entire time I’m thinking how great it will be to put it up as soon as I get home!! I guess the way I see wearing my hair down is the equivalent to some nice heels... it looks beautiful and makes you feel awesome..but can get very uncomfortable and you can’t wait to disarm when you get home!!

cathair
July 3rd, 2018, 12:05 PM
Probably many days a little bit.

If I wear my hair down, it's usually at home when I'm not doing much, so I'm not moving about much. If I get up and do something I'll put it back up.

I need to give my scalp a break sometimes and just throw it over the back of the sofa. I wear it down outside practically never. It gets fluffy or tangly quickly. It attacked someone last time I walked down with it in the breeze.

daisy rei
July 3rd, 2018, 12:19 PM
Here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=60717) is the existing thread for this question. :)

MoonRabbit
July 3rd, 2018, 12:46 PM
When I am having an awesome hair day I will definitely wear it down. I try to wear it down on days 1 and 2 post wash if the day permits me.

My hair loose can annoy me at times, lately it keeps getting stuck to everything in the truck, arm rest, window, clipping my ends in the seat belt. Which is why I always carry a hair stick with me.

Margarita
July 3rd, 2018, 12:51 PM
All the time! :cool:

MidnightMoon
July 3rd, 2018, 12:53 PM
Sometimes I wear it down every time I'm out for weeks. Some days I wear it up or in a braid... when I'm at home it's usually up, but not always. Once it got back to hip/tailbone I've been wearing it down more often. I'm also not working at the moment, so that's why. Back when I worked I wore it up all the time, as it's not very common to wear hair longer than BSL or maybe waist where I worked and it looked "unprofessional" :rolleyes:

Stray_mind
July 3rd, 2018, 01:06 PM
For now - every night. During the day it's always up. As soon as i can braid my hair for the night, i will.

I almost never wear it down when i go out anymore.

ravenskey
July 3rd, 2018, 01:09 PM
I don't often wear my hair totally loose because the sides fluff up and fall in my face but I do wear braided half updos sometimes - think GoT Daenerys or LOTR elves.
The rest of the time I wear plaits or braided buns of a wide variety - it really just depends how I feel on a particular day, how much time I have, and what I'm planning on doing.

AutobotsAttack
July 3rd, 2018, 01:20 PM
Maybe one or two days out of the month.

Aredhel
July 3rd, 2018, 01:27 PM
Almost never. Way too long and fine/wispy, gets into everything.:rolleyes:

Joules
July 3rd, 2018, 01:30 PM
If you mean wearing hair down outside, then as little as possible. I wore it down three times during my vacation (I went to the sea, oiled it and left it down, just because I like swimming with it loose). Before that last time my hair wasn't in a braid, bun or ponytail was in June of 2016, when it was barely past APL. I just don't wear it loose, I don't feel pulled together and comfortable that way, I'm constantly worrying about it getting stuck somewhere, pulled and damaged.

When I'm chillin at home, watching a movie or reading a book, I often take my hair down. Why not? Scalp needs rest, too.

Lizabeth94
July 3rd, 2018, 01:33 PM
I prefer wearing my hair half down, half pulled back in a braid. I rarely just wear it down completely loose even at its currently short length, because it gets in my face. I've never had hair longer than waist/mid back, but it was true then too. I find it to be a good compromise between having it completely loose (which feels best for my migraines) but is annoying, and having it in an updo which gets it out of the way (but triggers migraines). I'm hoping to try some new updos like tucked french braids or crown braids and maybe those will not hurt the way that buns and ponytails do.

TreesOfEternity
July 3rd, 2018, 01:37 PM
Usually once a week, during 6 hours or so, when I go out with my friends. I would wash it that day or the day before, put it down when I leave my house/my car and put it back up when I return.

iforgotmylogin
July 3rd, 2018, 01:46 PM
For a good chunk of the year, it's only down when drying, due to warm climate. When I do let it out and it's dry, and the weather my warm, my body is often surprised by it touching my arms or back and don't instantly know it's my hair doing that. *lets hair out* 'why is my back itch- oh that's right my hair is quite long'

In the cooler part of the year it turns into a beanie and is only up when it might get in the way

lithostoic
July 3rd, 2018, 01:50 PM
I prefer to wear it down but I have to wear it up for work. I take it down as soon as I clock out and my scalp sighs with relief.

carlimeow
July 3rd, 2018, 01:58 PM
I always wear it down or in a braid especially when I'm out, the first time I grew to TBL I always kept it down except to sleep as well... I know it's not protected that way but I do try to be careful and I just love the look of long hair whether loose or in a braid :). If I need it contained and/or out of the way, I will put it in a braid (situated in the back but draped over one shoulder because I feel uncomfortable with no hair around my face/neck/front of body), often paired with a comfortable headband, which is also my "around the house" look. When my hair simply cannot be hanging down because of the activities I am doing etc, I will wrap the braid around my head as a crown (this is also what I do with it under my shower cap).

I have considered teaching myself some pragmatic styles with hair sticks for example since I am getting to the point where that might be a good idea (and many hair sticks are so beautiful), but I'm prone to getting headaches if I have my hair in an updo for any substantial amount of time, so largely for that reason I have not bothered with updos much (also for the "feeling weird/exposed with all of my hair back" reason). :blossom:

Guitargod
July 3rd, 2018, 02:23 PM
I wear it down a couple of times every week. Band rehearsal and whenever we're going to a mall or something. Also once in a while I'll wear it down for work. I'm a software developer and the style at the office is pretty casual.

lapushka
July 3rd, 2018, 02:29 PM
Every night to go to sleep I wear it down.

When I'm up, it's up too (updo, LWB (lazy wrap bun)). I never wear my hair down when I'm up, it has to be out of my way. I don't want a pending security hazard or it getting into things, or worst of all, me sitting on it every time and pulling it.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 3rd, 2018, 02:47 PM
I might wear it to go out a couple of times a year, but apart from that it's always bunned or in a sleep cap, unless it's down drying after a wash. Or to get a photo or video.

Ligeia Noire
July 3rd, 2018, 03:03 PM
When it is drying at home but apart from that, pretty much never since it is getting to my calves. Although, even at waist I preferred it up. It looks better and I love buns.
I hate hair getting on everying and mine does that and gets matted a lot. Even though, to me, wearing my braid down is alrwady an accomplishment. And I am doing that when I am not at work.

littlestarface
July 3rd, 2018, 03:06 PM
Never I don't like my hair loose and everywhere.

The only time I actually wear it down is when its drying.

Corvana
July 3rd, 2018, 03:09 PM
Out? Never, really. It gets in my face, or it's too hot (it's the summer now, and regularly 102F or 39C, no thank you). If it's windy it will get all kinds of tangled.

When I'm home, though, probably 50% of the week or more if you include the time I'm sleeping. But I've always got a stick or three within reach (they're all kept on my desk for now, as I don't have so many to need to keep them elsewhere) to put it up if it annoys me (which it often does).

Zesty
July 3rd, 2018, 03:21 PM
I will wear mine down once a week or so, maybe every other week. I often wear it down on the weekends, usually for brief and laid back errands (not for giant grocery hauls where I'll have to carry things). If we're going to a family event or something then I'll wear it down and then put it up with a stick whenever it's time to eat. Around the house I'll sometimes wear it loose, and of course if it's drying, but I often also wear it in a LWB top knot at home. :shrug: I'm pretty laid back about it and don't worry about damage too much, and it's a little boost of confidence to have people see it, for me. But I do wear it up most of the time for practicality and because I have so many pretty hair things and new hairstyles to try and whatnot. :)

neko_kawaii
July 3rd, 2018, 03:53 PM
I like my hair long so that I can wear it UP. I'll wear it down for the short time it is drying, while lounging around or in the car if the stick/fork is making my head uncomfortable, and on a very rare blue moon down for most of the day.

lapushka
July 3rd, 2018, 04:03 PM
When it is drying at home but apart from that, pretty much never since it is getting to my calves. Although, even at waist I preferred it up. It looks better and I love buns.
I hate hair getting on everying and mine does that and gets matted a lot. Even though, to me, wearing my braid down is alrwady an accomplishment. And I am doing that when I am not at work.

Oh yes, I forgot. It is down on wash day too, for a bit of time at least; then I clip it up curly girl method to dry.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 3rd, 2018, 04:57 PM
Honestly I am really lax with my hair being down which is probably why my ends are so thin.
But for me, wearing hair up all the time is a headache. I try to keep it up with claw clips and toys every day.
But if I feel like wearing it down, i will. I dont have a particular set of days set aside each week or a good estimate at all.

i just really want to enjoy my hair more, and I cant when its always up or hiding away.

Dendra
July 3rd, 2018, 05:40 PM
My hair has been up constantly since I found LHC last April. I wear it down to sleep and when it's drying, that's it.

I'm considering wearing it down to a wedding next year..!

Frankenstein
July 3rd, 2018, 05:58 PM
Not that often anymore. I’d say once every few weeks when I go out if it looks good that day and it’s not raining.

C_Bookworm
July 3rd, 2018, 06:02 PM
All the time. I wash it daily, in the mornings, so it’s down for a couple hours to dry. Then it gets put in some braid/bun/half up. Braids and half-ups can last all day, but my scalp gets tired of buns after an hour or two. So I tend to spend the day bouncing between down and up. I love the tactile feel of wearing my hair down, so I don’t think I’ll ever grow past a length where this routine becomes untenable.

That said, it’s the exact same routine that allowed me to grow to knee before (I was a kid), so given the height difference I think I could get to FTL at least before current practices become an issue.

akurah
July 3rd, 2018, 06:06 PM
I wear it down after washing, otherwise it takes forever to dry.

Dark40
July 3rd, 2018, 09:29 PM
I wear mine down all of the time but I try to also wear it up 80% of the time too, and my hair is almost waist length.

lovelymoon
July 4th, 2018, 12:50 AM
Most of the time. Only recently have I started putting it up more frequently and only because it's so hot. Updos give me headaches after awhile because my hair is heavy.

Simsy
July 4th, 2018, 04:10 AM
Once a week while it dries, if I’m home all day. Otherwise it is loosely bunned while still wet. The rest of the week, it is braided and/or bunned in some fashion; depending on behaviour and tasks required.

Simsy
July 4th, 2018, 04:15 AM
I always wear it down or in a braid especially when I'm out, the first time I grew to TBL I always kept it down except to sleep as well... I know it's not protected that way but I do try to be careful and I just love the look of long hair whether loose or in a braid :). If I need it contained and/or out of the way, I will put it in a braid (situated in the back but draped over one shoulder because I feel uncomfortable with no hair around my face/neck/front of body), often paired with a comfortable headband, which is also my "around the house" look. When my hair simply cannot be hanging down because of the activities I am doing etc, I will wrap the braid around my head as a crown (this is also what I do with it under my shower cap).

I have considered teaching myself some pragmatic styles with hair sticks for example since I am getting to the point where that might be a good idea (and many hair sticks are so beautiful), but I'm prone to getting headaches if I have my hair in an updo for any substantial amount of time, so largely for that reason I have not bothered with updos much (also for the "feeling weird/exposed with all of my hair back" reason). :blossom:

One trick I have found for the problem of headaches with updos is to either go really low, or really high. Low means everything is going in the direction it usually would, and I find this most comfortable with clips, since I don’t need the bun to be tight. High is all the way up on top, almost balancing the weight of the bun on your head so it’s not pulling on anything. Again, loose and most comfortable with clips so nothing has to be tight.

I like my loosely coiled cinnibuns and gently wound braids for this effort.

Sora Rose
July 4th, 2018, 04:41 AM
I wear it up every day, except Saturday afternoon once I've washed it. Though I usually let it down in the evening and always have it down at night. During the day I'd never have it down unless for a special occasion because I'd rather not add unnecessary mechanical damage. It doesn't get in my way that I've noticed, but I'm the sort of person that doesn't mind having hair in my face, neck, etc.

Alissalocks
July 4th, 2018, 06:50 AM
On wash days' for the better part of the day, so maybe a few hours twice a week? It feels good but I'm self conscious it doesn't look that good when loose. And damaging as well. So I don't wear it out and loose unless it's freshly washed and uber straight.

TatsuOni
July 4th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Not counting when it's loose for air drying or S&D. It's down 1-3 times a year. Christmas and perhaps some other special occasion or a rare case of "I really want to wear a half up today". I will wear a half up next week to a fiends wedding.

trolleypup
July 4th, 2018, 09:02 AM
It was a question I got that made me think! The majority of my time I always wear it up! it’s grown to almost my knees, and to the point of annoyance. (Ex: sitting on it, bf accidentally pulling it, getting in my face during windy days, getting caught on everything, extreme tangles, just being in the way) and even though there a lot of cons, I still love my hair and would never part with it ❤️ I try to wear it down at least during the weekends.

I wear it down during formal things or when I’m actually trying to put the effort to look nice..but at the expense of my comfort haha. Am I the only one who finds my long hair extremely uncomfortable when I wear it down? I will do it and feel wonderful, but the entire time I’m thinking how great it will be to put it up as soon as I get home!! I guess the way I see wearing my hair down is the equivalent to some nice heels... it looks beautiful and makes you feel awesome..but can get very uncomfortable and you can’t wait to disarm when you get home!!
Always down for sleep and drying. Almost always up for work (randomly down maybe 5% of the time), always up for hiking/backpacking/trailwork/construction/gardening (usually up and covered), virtually always up for soaking in hot springs, in the house often up, out and about on errands or driving mostly up, going out mostly down (but with the resources to put it up if needed).

The reflexes for handling it down are pretty good, so it isn't a big problem when it is down and it mostly stays put. It rarely gets super hot here, but yes, it would be up then. I enjoy it down, even in the wind, and accept the tangles that go along with that.

gustavonut
July 4th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Every day.

carlimeow
July 4th, 2018, 09:45 AM
One trick I have found for the problem of headaches with updos is to either go really low, or really high. Low means everything is going in the direction it usually would, and I find this most comfortable with clips, since I don’t need the bun to be tight. High is all the way up on top, almost balancing the weight of the bun on your head so it’s not pulling on anything. Again, loose and most comfortable with clips so nothing has to be tight.

I like my loosely coiled cinnibuns and gently wound braids for this effort.

Thanks for the tips! Yes, I agree that even weight distribution is key as well as using clips to secure a looser style. Hmm, I will have do some research whenever I want to seriously try bunning styles, I honestly have very little knowledge and experience regarding hair-styling beyond braids :).

hennalove
July 4th, 2018, 09:47 AM

I'm just reaching tailbone - ya!

1. I'm currently wearing it up a lot due to self esteem issues but also weather. Long story short, a couple of family members made unnecessary comments so I refuse to wear it down around them. It's hot here though so long dark hair hanging down makes it hotter. Guaranteed if we go anywhere that is air conditioned, I have my hair up! We also have a convertible so up and secure is definitely better than blowing in the wind ;)
2. I wear my hair down at home when I'm lounging about or doing activities where being down won't get in the way. I like it down just to give my head a rest so typically in the morning and evening.

Honestly, while I love the feel of my hair that far down on my back it really is easier and more practical to keep it up most of the day. Hubby would argue with that one.

hennalove
July 4th, 2018, 09:48 AM
Almost never. Way too long and fine/wispy, gets into everything.:rolleyes:

But absolutely stunning!

bparnell75
July 4th, 2018, 10:02 AM

This is me also. It is down when drying. Then up it goes. Just too much i the way or annoying. I have been up now for2348 days now

AmaryllisRed
July 4th, 2018, 11:08 AM
I wear it down mostly when it's drying, although in fact it's usually down-up-down-up-down because I'm changing diapers, making lunch, etc.
I like to wear it down to church and sometimes I'll wear it down on day 2 if it's behaving well and the weather is nice and I am going out with no kids or just one... Haha. Lots of rules.
Anyway, I never wear it down all day. Only just until I get annoyed and then up it goes.

Milady_DeWinter
July 4th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Twice a week or so, on wash days ;)

Larki
July 4th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Once or twice a month.

school of fish
July 4th, 2018, 01:54 PM
Down and loose most of the time for me, unless it's getting in the way of some task I'm doing - but once I finish said task, it comes right down again :)

I detangle throughout the day to keep it manageable. Works for me :D

Andthetalltrees
July 4th, 2018, 03:32 PM
I'm waist and I wear mine down almost all the time, I'll braid or bun if I need it out of the way but it only stays up a few hours at most. I guess I'm lucky because my hair doesn't annoy me down(It annoys me up more) and it doesn't tangle much. My solution is just to pile on coney conditioner(WCC with leave in) and finger comb throughout the day. It usually ends up working out okay.

Arciela
July 4th, 2018, 03:34 PM
I wear mine down almost all the time and mine is TBL..almost classic now. I only put it up when it gets in the way or if I can't stand it, if it sticks to my back..up it goes lol. My hair is thick and dry..and tangle prone though, so if that starts, then up it goes ^^

Ellethwyn
July 4th, 2018, 09:20 PM
I wear my hair down every day. I just put it up when i really need it outta the way like when cooking, cleaning, and gardening.

I like hiding behind my hair. It is def a security blanket for me.

blushy
July 6th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Well I used to wear it down all the time, but I'm really trying to baby my hair so lately I've been wearing it up all the time when I'm at home and only having it down when I go out somewhere and want to look "nice"

*Wednesday*
July 6th, 2018, 04:11 PM
I wear it down once or twice a week after a wash day. Lately once a week since it's been hot.

darren
July 9th, 2018, 01:43 PM
I wear it down quite a bit. I usually wear it mostly down 1 or 2 days a week as long as I am not too active on those days. I take it down most days for some of the time too. It's usually when I am sitting around at home or when I am just sitting in class.

Taliesin
July 9th, 2018, 04:31 PM
I keep it up for work and most of the time when I'm out and about or doing errands/chores. Otherwise, relaxing at home it's about 50/50. For me, the primary reasons I keep my hair long are because I like the way it looks loose and flowing; I love how it moves and the way it feels. Wearing it up takes away from all those reasons but I think I mentioned in another post that as I'm currently moving past tailbone and towards classic I'm wearing it up more simply because it's in the way a lot more and the ends aren't as sturdy as they used to be! I think my sweet spot was around waist length - still quite long but also very comfortable to leave it down most of the time. After I hit classic and play around with that length for a while I can see cutting back to waist and maintaining around there so I can wear it down more often without worry.

darren
July 9th, 2018, 04:40 PM
For me, the primary reasons I keep my hair long are because I like the way it looks loose and flowing; I love how it moves and the way it feels.

Ditto. And when I wear it up/back it is usually a pony since it is a slightly more functional version of loose.

bparnell75
July 9th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Only after a wash until it is dry. or if it needs to be redone sometimes for a few minutes. It drives me nuts when down.

kitcatsmeow
July 9th, 2018, 06:43 PM
At work once a week and then maybe once 2-3 more times a month. In the summer less because of the humidity. Besides getti caught in everything it’s the first thing my daughters grabs and pulls.

Rebeccalaurenxx
July 10th, 2018, 12:51 AM
Up when im out and active, down when im not.
Up when im sleeping but down when my hair is drying and when its being detangled.

mrsmushroom
July 21st, 2018, 06:42 PM
Now that my hair is almost to waist length I only wear it down for special occasions because it gets super tangly fast. Usually have to braid it at least.

vampyyri
July 21st, 2018, 07:36 PM
I wear mine down when it's drying, if I'm sitting at my computer on the weekends, or when I want to whip out my secret weapon to get a conversation going :lol:

Otherwise in my field of work, it has to be up. I'm sure no one would appreciate my hair destroying the printing plates I'm making :p

yahirwaO.o
July 21st, 2018, 09:32 PM
Everyday and every moment lately :P

I just put it up when i wash my face and deep treatment otherwise I absolutely dislke, despise it and utterly annoys me. I wore it up for years for sake of suppose to keep it healthy not enjoy and now im all against it being happy and flowy! :p

sophia_
July 21st, 2018, 09:47 PM
I have mine down every evening to air-dry, but every day is a cycle of re-doing my buns/braids, because my fine hair will inevitably crawl out of them! Since my hair isn't *super long* yet, I'm still able to wear it down with heatless waves for special occasions if I want, but that's becoming more and more difficult as my hair tangles super easily.

Jo Ann
July 21st, 2018, 10:15 PM
I take mine down sometimes just before I get off work, only if it's been one of THOSE days. Wear it down at work? Forget it--I'm a cashier, and it gets into EVERYTHING (found THAT out when I wore a ponytail in for a half-day)!

Away from work, sometimes on my days off...definitely if it's Wash Day...it's always up if I'm doing something, like *gasp!* cooking, housework, cleaning the puddy-tat's litter box, stuff like that.

Elly May
July 22nd, 2018, 04:41 AM
I have only worn my hair down once in years--for my son's wedding in May. I figured that was a special occasion that warranted it. :o

Katsura
July 22nd, 2018, 06:16 AM
I let my hair down in the evenings before going to bed, or when I'm waiting for it to dry. Otherwise it's tied up.

Jas
July 22nd, 2018, 06:36 AM
I always have my hair down to air dry, and about half the time if I'm in the flat doing something. Out though, it's usually up - although if I find a hairstyle I really like and is really comfy from the ones I try out on my instagram I'll just keep whatever it is in all day.

At work, pretty much always up just to keep it out of the way.

eresh
July 22nd, 2018, 08:12 AM
Almost never, I had it down for my weddingday.
And I usually wear it down when we go clubbing/dancing, a ponytail for concerts.
But we don't go out very often anymore so usually during the day it is up in somekind of braid or bun.

RosieFleurNuit
July 22nd, 2018, 06:36 PM
I wear it down while sleeping and relaxing in the evening when I'm sitting down. I'm a belly dancer, so it's usually down when I'm performing and teaching. The tangles afterwards are horrid, but it's worth it to me, as my hair is part of my dance. The rest of the time it's up in a bun. I rarely do braids because they get messy quickly and tangle my hair even more.