PDA

View Full Version : Scalp vs Sun

CreatureBailey
July 2nd, 2018, 09:46 AM
I was wondering if anyone here also get sunburn on their scalp? Also is anyone prone to it or do certain factors makes one more prone to it? :o

lapushka
July 2nd, 2018, 10:54 AM
Are you in the sun a lot? If so, try wearing a hat at all times; because a sunburn on your scalp is just not worth it.

Ireland
July 2nd, 2018, 12:02 PM
Mine burns really easily because Im very fair and my hair is light, I started to put a tiny bit of oil free sunscreen on my parted scalp and then wear a hat etc, it has really helped me!

Joules
July 2nd, 2018, 12:35 PM
I've never got a sunburn on my scalp, ever (touch wood). Even when the rest of my body was severely burnt. I guess it's because I have very dense dark-ish hair, you can barely see my scalp, even when my hair is braided.

ravenskey
July 2nd, 2018, 12:42 PM
I have never gotten a burned scalp but I guess that's because a) I have dense, dark hair so like Joules you can't see my scalp and b) I have naturally olive toned skin(I'm Chinese) and have never gotten sunburned anywhere else either.

CreatureBailey
July 2nd, 2018, 12:53 PM
Yeah I have light brown hair and hair on the thinner side so... I feel like stealing a leaf from my aloe vera plant and put the gel on my scalp

My face looks sunburnt to death too ;-; XD

lapushka
July 2nd, 2018, 12:54 PM
Yes personally been burnt a few times in my lifetime, and my scalp for sure never got burnt along with my body. And I never wore a hat either. I was careless; we all were in the 80s!

CreatureBailey
July 2nd, 2018, 12:59 PM
Did my scalp burn because my hair is a lighter color or because I don't have super thick hair?

Chromis
July 2nd, 2018, 01:00 PM
I have had some terrible scalp sunburns! Now I wear a bandana or a Buff or some other sort of head tubie thing in the yard, hiking, or on vacation. They also keep sweat from running in my face or little hairs from bothering me if it is windy.

CreatureBailey
July 2nd, 2018, 01:13 PM
I was in a theme park so I couldn't wear a hat or else it would have flown away hahaha

Obsidian
July 2nd, 2018, 01:17 PM
I've burned my scalp too, usually when swimming. If you have aloe, you can use it. It's good for skin and hair.

Hair color has nothing to do with burning, skin color does though. If you are light skinned, you will be more prone to burning. I'm sure thinner hair doesn't help.

Best to keep covered up or even find a sunscreen you can use on the scalp.

lapushka
July 2nd, 2018, 02:28 PM
I was in a theme park so I couldn't wear a hat or else it would have flown away hahaha

Like Chromis mentioned, a buff is really a good thing to have on hand, you can twist it round your wrist if you want, and have it with you easily.

I don't think you got burned because you don't have super thick hair. My aunt once got her scalp burnt and she has thicker hair than mine. So, I don't think it's that. :)

ravenskey
July 2nd, 2018, 03:03 PM
I doubt hair colour has anything to do with your scalp burning but skin colour would play a factor.

As for hair thickness - I'd say it's more how much scalp is exposed to the sun e.g if I brush my hair straight back less of my scalp is exposed than if I made a pair of French/Dutch plaits.

enting
July 2nd, 2018, 03:18 PM
I've been told that red hair doesn't block the sun as well, but that could just be that the redheads I know sunburn through their hair. I haven't heard that any other color of hair is more prone to burning through it. I have gotten burnt on my parting before but not through my hair where it isn't parted. Treat it like any other burn, feel free to put aloe on it as long as your hair doesn't hate aloe. In the future you may need some sort of protective cover or you may need to actually put sunblock on your head and hair. Well wrapped scarves with all the ends tucked in or a buff might work even at a theme park.

TreesOfEternity
July 2nd, 2018, 04:04 PM
Before my scalp is burnt the heat on my head gets unbearable, my dark hair becomes hot if I’m at the sun without a hat. Plus I fear skin problems related to sun exposure so I always wear sunscreen, sunglasses and hats when I’m in the sun. Take care getting burned is really dangerous.

CreatureBailey
July 2nd, 2018, 04:06 PM
Yeah it's burnt mostly on the parting.

I've been putting aloe vera gel on my burns, does it work really well? Cause I hope it gets better by tomorrow cause I can barely move my face cause it's all burnt x(

enting
July 2nd, 2018, 04:20 PM
In that case in the future if you don't want to use a buff or whatever, you can either do a style that doesn't have a part, or put just a bit of sunblock right down your part. That's totally a normal area to have burn.

Yes, it does work! The sooner you put it on, the sooner and better it will work! Apply soon, apply often.

ETA: it may not make you heal entirely by tomorrow, but guaranteed it is making your burn less severe and quicker healing than it would be otherwise.

Xlena
July 2nd, 2018, 06:07 PM
I've never even heard about a scalp getting sunburn :confused: I dind't think it was even possible

C_Bookworm
July 2nd, 2018, 06:21 PM
It only happened to me once...snorkeling while on vacation. The part burned and once the skin shedding hit, it looked like the gnarliest dandruff ever. Aloe Vera (100% natural, none of the gels with dyes or additives) was the best I could do. The burn felt better and healed fast. I’ve avoided swimming with hairdos with parts since then, since I’m not sure how much my scalp would like sunscreen.

cjk
July 2nd, 2018, 07:00 PM
When just combed back, I don't burn. Even on the top where it has thinned, there is sufficient coverage.

But when parted, like the double French braid I prefer when running, the exposed line of scalp does burn.

I've learned to wear a spandex buff or a bandana as a sweatband, anyway, and it also keeps that section from burning. Blond with gray, and skin that is one step from albino, does not make for a sun friendly combination.

cjk
July 2nd, 2018, 07:02 PM
I've never even heard about a scalp getting sunburn :confused: I dind't think it was even possible

When I shaved my head with a cancer friend I learned that it is not only possible, but incredibly painful.

I burn easily, anyway, and skin that had never been exposed before is a burn just waiting to happen.

The peeling was awful, but my skin was so well exfoliated afterwards!

Lizabeth94
July 2nd, 2018, 08:06 PM
Can't say I've ever had a scalp sun burn, except maybe the very front part of my hairline. Most of my hair is thick and coarse but I have a bunch of soft baby fine hairs at my hairline that let the sun in I guess. I also don't part cleanly, I part my hair roughly so there is no straight line, and I often swap my part throughout the day from one side to the other and I think that prevents me from getting burned along my part as well.

GrowlingCupcake
July 2nd, 2018, 08:09 PM
While I burn easily, despite being of Indian ethnicity, I do do not get scalp burns. I think a hat/scarf/etc. of some sort is your best bet.

lovelymoon
July 2nd, 2018, 10:41 PM
They make powder sunscreen for your hair. I've never been sunburned, but I've seen it in magazines before. Next time just dust it along your part, you don't have to style it differently or wear a hat, just protect your scalp like you would your skin.

illicitlizard
July 2nd, 2018, 11:23 PM
Hmmm, in summer I went to a theme park in the full sun for hours, ended up bright red all over my exposed skin (so painful for so many days oh god)... But not my scalp, even though my hair was way short. I know people who put sunscreen on the exposed parts of their scalp to prevent it so definitely sunscreen up if you're prone to burning!

MidnightMoon
July 2nd, 2018, 11:34 PM
I don't think I've had my scalp burnt either, and even though the rest of my body can tan if I let it, my scalp is as white as a paper. My hair is fine, and I always wear a middle part, so if it depended exclusively on hair thickness or skin colour I should have gotten like a 3rd degree burn already (was a lot in the sun as a kid :lol:).

mindwiped
July 2nd, 2018, 11:47 PM
I've burnt my part so badly it blistered and peeled. To start a joke... this one time, in band camp.... Honestly, I'd put my hair in double braids, and forgot my ball cap. The rest of that week I was putting aloe vera on my scalp, and wearing both a scarf and a cap to protect my hair. Of course, school registration is the same week...I had the ugliest photo! Generally burned everywhere, unbrushed hair, sweaty... thank goodness they weren't scratch n sniff :blushing:

CreatureBailey
July 3rd, 2018, 12:31 AM
After applying aloe vera every few hours and sleeping a lot today, my burns already feel much better. ^_^ Still red, but not as stiff and painful. Hopefully by tomorrow it'll have improved even more :bunny:

enting
July 3rd, 2018, 09:17 AM
Glad to hear!

cathair
July 3rd, 2018, 12:10 PM
My Mum does. It's rare she isn't wearing a hat in all weathers. I am much paler than her, but I'm starting to wonder if that's because her skin has taken a lot more sun damage than mine over the years. She's basically orange and wears no fake tan. I can't recall having a scalp burn myself.

Guitargod
July 3rd, 2018, 12:16 PM
I do get some burns where the hair parts in the front

wo
July 3rd, 2018, 12:19 PM
Where I live, it's 95 degrees all summer with a uv index of 11. I wear full pants and long sleeves, and a high quality face sunscreen 100% of the time, but if I forget a hat, which is rare, my scalp at my part gets burnt bright red. I'm very fair skinned and the sun is just brutal here. I take a vitamin D supplement because there's no way for me to be in the sun without burning.

MoonRabbit
July 3rd, 2018, 12:49 PM
Only got a scalp burn once, in fact my partner got one as well the same day. It was horrible. My head was peeling and itching like crazy for 2 weeks. Had to massage olive oil into my scalp. Nope never dealing with that discomfort again, which is why I always wear a hat for protection.