PDA

View Full Version : On a scale of 1 to Vin Diesel, how bald do I look? :(

Nedertane
July 2nd, 2018, 08:12 AM
Alright, so here's the deal. The other day at work, I was trying to put my hair into Dutch braids because it's been hot out. I was struggling a bit with it because well, I'm not very good at braiding. My coworker noticed this, and got excited, asking "Oh my gosh can I please braid your hair??" And I figured why not, since she's had a lot of practice braiding her daughters' hair for sports and such. But because of the way she's used to doing it, she did it reeeaaaallly tightly. But I figured "eh whatever, she knows what she's doing".

When she was finished, she showed me a picture of what it looked like from the back/top, and Oh God. I feel terrible in retrospect, but I got freaked out. It looked like there was so much scalp showing through, like I was balding. :( She and my other coworkers said I was being hard on myself, and that if she did that on herself or her daughters, it would look like that. Or that it might only be noticeable because my skin is so light. But I just don't know. Maybe the impartial hair jury of lhc can set me straight?

This is a pic I took, not the one that my coworker took on her phone. Which, on that note, I'm sorry if it's huge. I'm posting this on mobile, and I tried to crop it down, but idk how it will display on a computer screen. Anyway, thanks all for your input.

https://imgur.com/a/DiFZsRE

CopperButterfly
July 2nd, 2018, 08:17 AM
It looks normal to me. The scalp showing is just because of how she braided it.

Lady Stardust
July 2nd, 2018, 08:23 AM
Looks good to me! Don’t worry. It always makes me wince when I see teens with those tight plaits.

prairie lark
July 2nd, 2018, 08:25 AM
*turn ya right side up* https://i.imgur.com/TTKzP4e.jpg?2

Lovely! You'll get it with practice and you're not bald. <3

samanthaa
July 2nd, 2018, 08:44 AM
Wow, that's actually beautiful. Anyone's hair would part like that if it were pulled in opposite directions.

Do you know what kind of braids those are?

chomsky
July 2nd, 2018, 08:52 AM
That's just what happens! Nope, you're not balding. :o

kamileona
July 2nd, 2018, 09:03 AM
That looks completely normal to me! My hair also looked like that when I used to braid it:) no worries!

illicitlizard
July 2nd, 2018, 09:18 AM
You don't look balding in the slightest! Just looks like a normal parting (especially if she pulled your hair pretty tightly apart)

Xlena
July 2nd, 2018, 09:20 AM
It's said blondies have less hair than other colorations, without counting that it's also a lot thinner, so if you compare yourself with those black and thick haired ladies it can look like you have no hair, but actually you have a normal amount of hair so you're 0% bald ;)

lapushka
July 2nd, 2018, 09:41 AM
That looks perfectly normal, especially if you are ii; nothing to worry about, and you are being excruciatingly hard on yourself judging from the title. Just my 2cts. Don't do that too much during your growth process, please! :flower:

CreatureBailey
July 2nd, 2018, 09:43 AM
It's normal. It's perfectly normal. :)

Idk if it's just because of very (veerryy) low-quality camera, but at work (i work at mcdonalds) we're filmed and when i look up to the screens filming us the quality is extremely low and any hair cleavage i have in my updo looks like it's a huge white blob. :wacko:

Alissalocks
July 2nd, 2018, 09:44 AM
Vin diesel....

Just kidding!!! It's normal, and probably more hair than I have. You're great!

Chromis
July 2nd, 2018, 09:46 AM
Totally normal! Part of why it looks more stark is that it is skin that hasn't been exposed to light at all. Our scalps always look kind of pale, but is more dramatic with a new part in a different spot!

Ligeia Noire
July 2nd, 2018, 09:50 AM
Hey that's gorgeous. I see absolutely nothing wrong there. I mean, anyone that sported that hairstyle would have that part showing too. It is only natural. Don't over stress yourself lady! She did a great job!

MusicalSpoons
July 2nd, 2018, 10:07 AM
Looks totally normal to me :thumbsup:

Stray_mind
July 2nd, 2018, 10:38 AM
It looks normal to me :)
You have light average thickness and probably fine hair, hence your part is more prominent. My hair also looks similar when i do french braiding.

Ireland
July 2nd, 2018, 11:43 AM
Wow thats so pretty! You look stunning!

ravenskey
July 2nd, 2018, 12:32 PM
Looks totally normal to me.

It's just because the hair is being pulled tightly in opposite directions.

maybeinaforest
July 2nd, 2018, 01:31 PM
It looks totally normal. Light hair, light scalp. Don't worry! Very pretty hairstyle by the way.

spidermom
July 2nd, 2018, 01:34 PM
Yep, I agree - totally normal; no degree of balding whatsoever. However, braiding shouldn't be done tightly or could over time result in hair loss.

That is french braiding by the way.

enting
July 2nd, 2018, 03:25 PM
I just see gorgeousness and gosh, look how straight that part is. It looks wonderful and not bald or balding in the least :flower:

*Wednesday*
July 2nd, 2018, 07:52 PM
Bald would be the furthest thing from my mind. That looks very lovely.
Vin Diesel has nothing on you 😊

Lizabeth94
July 2nd, 2018, 08:02 PM
Looks normal to me! I have very thick hair but if part my hair straight and clean my part looks just like that. I don't like the look of a harsh line either, so I tend to part my hair for pigtail braids haphazardly so that there isn't such an obvious line.

cjk
July 2nd, 2018, 09:34 PM
I do an almost identical style, double french braids, when I run but I never manage to get the part quite as tight as she did.

She is very good at braiding.

Your hair looks lovely. And I don't think you're going bald. I think it's just your light scalp showing through at the part. Low contrast between hair and skin color.

in a number of men's styles that contrast is used to great effect. Whitewalls and flattops rely on it.

https://i.imgur.com/khxsFii.jpg

Nedertane
July 3rd, 2018, 08:03 PM
Woo! This thread got more replies than I would have figured (thank you all by the way, you're too ridiculously nice!). Sorry to abandon ship for a bit. That's what happens when I post at the start of the work week I guess.

Lovely! You'll get it with practice and you're not bald. <3

Hah, here I as thinking that horizontal was the better way to view it. Thank you for the edit.

That looks perfectly normal, especially if you are ii; nothing to worry about, and you are being excruciatingly hard on yourself judging from the title. Just my 2cts. Don't do that too much during your growth process, please! :flower:

The title was slightly facetious... but admittedly in a self-depreciating way, so ya got me there. It was also a nod to the "Most Popular Girls in School" series, if anyone here is a fan. ;)

Hey that's gorgeous. I see absolutely nothing wrong there. I mean, anyone that sported that hairstyle would have that part showing too. It is only natural. Don't over stress yourself lady! She did a great job!

She really did. She's had a lot of practice, like I said. :) I actually ended up apologizing to her today. Probably unnecessary, but I would have felt terrible if I came off as ungrateful. She was totally cool about it though. She's used to her daughters freaking out about their appearance sometimes. Boy, I wish I could get myself to grow out of that.

Looks normal to me! I have very thick hair but if part my hair straight and clean my part looks just like that. I don't like the look of a harsh line either, so I tend to part my hair for pigtail braids haphazardly so that there isn't such an obvious line.

Now there's an idea...

And actually, that makes me wonder if I never noticed it on myself because I probably don't part and/or style my hair completely straight and clean. Thank you for bringing that up.

littlestarface
July 3rd, 2018, 08:07 PM
It's normal. It's perfectly normal. :)

Idk if it's just because of very (veerryy) low-quality camera, but at work (i work at mcdonalds) we're filmed and when i look up to the screens filming us the quality is extremely low and any hair cleavage i have in my updo looks like it's a huge white blob. :wacko:

I work at mcdonalds too :hifive:

Zazzles
July 4th, 2018, 09:21 AM
I agree that you are not balding at all. You have very pretty hair and anyone that parts their hair straight like that, especially when the hair is then tightly restrained, will have a similar part line. Particularly on courser hair types, hair is often styled that way and many individuals will pull it as tight as possible and then wear that style for days or weeks before redoing it. I personally have very fine hair and have found that tight hair styles cause no end of issues with my scalp so I have to be very careful to find the balance between loose enough it doesn’t cause problems and tight enough it stays up. Just do what works for you; your hair is beautiful and you have no balding to worry about.

Starchild494
July 6th, 2018, 12:12 PM
She did Do not tightly so maybe that's why it's a hard line... Next time just loosen the braids and it won't be so noticeable. :shrug: