PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on holding products (and some much needed venting)

Betazed
July 1st, 2018, 03:17 PM
A bit of back story, first:

Normally, during the non-summer months I wear a side bang that begins just above my eyebrow. Around the end of April, I get my last trim and from there I just let my bangs grow out so it’s easier to incorporate them into braids (my go-to style when it becomes too hot to wear it loose). I stopped going to a salon for the length awhile ago after I asked for a micro-trim of less than 1/2 inch and the “stylist” took it upon herself to cut more than 4 inches off (Why do they do this?!). I went from tailbone to waist and I still haven’t reached the length it was before. I learned to trim it myself but I wasn’t secure enough in my scissoring skills to trim my own bangs. I used to think “it’s only a side bang, how can anyone mess that up?” Well, the answer is “badly and easily”.

A few months ago, I went into a nearby salon and the first “stylist” messed up so badly, she had to call her manager over. I had my glasses off so I couldn’t see what it looked like before the manager had her turn. But by the time she was done, my bangs were so incredibly short the longest piece was barely 2 inches!

It’s annoying enough braiding my hair when my bangs are their usual length. This mess is just driving me insane!

So, my question LHC is this, Does anyone know of a good styling product that will hold the little pieces into my braid without causing it to look greasy (which the waxes that I’ve tried does) or producing white flakes (which the hairsprays that I’ve tried does)? I hate washing my hair and the products that I’ve tried have had me washing more than I’d like to. I’d like some suggestions before I spend more money on products that I will probably never use again.

lapushka
July 1st, 2018, 04:45 PM
Eco Styler gel (comes in small tubs or bigger ones), or an edge control paste.

Starchild494
July 1st, 2018, 05:14 PM
What about a little bit of aloe Vera? Some use it as a soft hold gel. You could try that.

Simsy
July 1st, 2018, 06:55 PM
I found a light styling gel one year, strong hold so not the rock hard stuff. It was really good and brushed out reasonably well. I really wish I could remember the name.

Silvousplaits on YouTube has a video on reducing braid shred, it might have some good tips for you.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w8FvA1kXdx4&t=79s

mariazelie
July 2nd, 2018, 02:53 AM
Aloe Vera, like Starchild said.

Joules
July 2nd, 2018, 05:24 AM
When I was growing out my bangs I just used bobby pins to hold everything in place. With the right placement they won't be visible at all. That's if you want a more natural alternative, it definitely won't make you wash your hair everyday :)