PDA

View Full Version : A little sad about slow progress

Ardyn
June 30th, 2018, 04:08 AM
https://78.media.tumblr.com/b0a41b626e1ff592442b0b195875ae4b/tumblr_inline_pb4s2buIVA1vk2y3p_540.png

Progress is progress, but I'm feeling a little disheartened at how slow it seems. Or maybe, as a "new grower", I'm not used to it.

Missing my long hair so badly today. I think it's worse because that photo from today (week 8 ) makes my hair look really split-end-ridden when it isn't at all. I wonder if it's just 'cause it's sunny today...?

It's just a demotivational hair day today haha.

Stray_mind
June 30th, 2018, 04:20 AM
https://78.media.tumblr.com/b0a41b626e1ff592442b0b195875ae4b/tumblr_inline_pb4s2buIVA1vk2y3p_540.png

Progress is progress, but I'm feeling a little disheartened at how slow it seems. Or maybe, as a "new grower", I'm not used to it.

Missing my long hair so badly today. I think it's worse because that photo from today (week 8) makes my hair look really split-end-ridden when it isn't at all. I wonder if it's just 'cause it's sunny today...?

It's just a demotivational hair day today haha.

It doesn't look slow to me at all. You grow a Lot in just 4 weeks. Your hair doesn't look like it's split end ridden too, at least to me. I think you're just feeling down. I also have days like this, when i want to put my hair in a bun, and i can't, and i get frustrated...

Patience, dear. That's all we need really :) :flower:

_fred_
June 30th, 2018, 05:46 AM
Hi and welcome Ardyn :)

I feel you on slow progress. I agree with stray_mind though, you've got a ton of new growth already. It's really cool to see how far you've come in only 8 weeks. I can understand the frustration though, it really does feel like forever sometimes.

I think you're right about the sun. Mine also looks drier in direct sun, even if I've only just used a treatment, and especially if it's a hot day. So fluffy.

Hang on in there and happy growing :)

Peppergirl
June 30th, 2018, 06:05 AM
You're doing great, I see lots of progress! Keep up the good work! Join in on a no cut challenge if you haven't already. There is great support doing this together!

ravenskey
June 30th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Your growth looks good to me and I agree with Peppergirl - join the second half of lapushka's no trim challenge - we're starting tomorrow!

I also think that the fact that there aren't many milestones between a pixie and shoulder length can skew your perception of progress, another example of this, especially for tall people, is the "Mid-back Abyss" between MBL and WL, while other parts of the body have lots of milestones in a short space e.g. for me(I'm really short by the way) WL, HL, BCL, TBL, and CL are each within 2-4 inches of each other, with the total length between WL and CL being about 13.5", this meant that I called WL at the beginning of the year, had a 2" trim, grew back to WL, grew to HL and now expect to call BCL at the end of the year. That is 3 milestones in a year but will only be about 6" in actual length.

daisy rei
June 30th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Wow! I think that kind of progress is impressive!

But you can't make time go by faster, so it's better to just distract yourself from your hair while you patiently wait. ;)

Aredhel
June 30th, 2018, 10:28 AM
4 weeks is less than a month. That's actually very visible progress for such a short time... I don't even see a visible difference in my own length until a full year has passed.... :)

lapushka
June 30th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Week 0 to week 8 is a *lot* of progress! Girl, it's like growing like a weed. :lol: I mean, that is fast growth.

It is sometimes hard to get the patience to grow it long, but you'll get there, as long as you don't fall into the pitfall of trimming, trimming will set you back even more.

Why not join the no trimming thread for the second half of the year. It starts tomorrow. Tomorrow is the VERY *last* day you can trim if you want to join it for real. I'll link it!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=143313

Lizabeth94
June 30th, 2018, 12:37 PM
That was good growth, at least an inch! Just think, by the end of the year you will be least shoulder length and can start playing around with french braids or braided pigtails, maybe even a variation of a french twist (takes more bobby pins but its possible). I dont think it looks damaged at all.

Wildhorserider
June 30th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Your growth looks good to me and I agree with Peppergirl - join the second half of lapushka's no trim challenge - we're starting tomorrow!

I also think that the fact that there aren't many milestones between a pixie and shoulder length can skew your perception of progress, another example of this, especially for tall people, is the "Mid-back Abyss" between MBL and WL, while other parts of the body have lots of milestones in a short space e.g. for me(I'm really short by the way) WL, HL, BCL, TBL, and CL are each within 2-4 inches of each other, with the total length between WL and CL being about 13.5", this meant that I called WL at the beginning of the year, had a 2" trim, grew back to WL, grew to HL and now expect to call BCL at the end of the year. That is 3 milestones in a year but will only be about 6" in actual length.

You are so right about no milestones growing to SL. However; I’ve solved this ! I use my moles/freckles ! 😂 I have several little moles on my neck. I rejoice when I reach one and then I’m on to the next one!

Arctic
June 30th, 2018, 01:24 PM
I see lot of progress! Cameras, their setting and even the enviroment/light conditions around you sometimes make hair (and other things) look less than perfect in photos. You just ignore that, and go by what you see in a mirror. For reference, I hate taking hair photos with my phone camera, because it almost always makes my hair look bad, where as my proper camera makes my hair look great (and similar to what I see in mirror).

Dark40
June 30th, 2018, 02:58 PM
I agree with everybody. In 8 weeks you have progressed a lot of growth! I know sometimes it seems like it grows slower than other times. Sometimes my hair looks like it stays the same length all of the time too but I know that it's growing and getting longer.

illicitlizard
July 2nd, 2018, 02:50 AM
Nah you're alright, that's darn good growth for a couple months total! Having super short hair is like a growth abyss though ime, feels like you're getting nowhere. But you're looking good (and not split end-y)

Ardyn
July 4th, 2018, 12:55 AM
Thanks for all the supportive messages. I’ve been having a real downer mood about my hair recently. Glad to have this place to retreat to!

Claireabelle123
July 4th, 2018, 01:10 AM
It has grown a lot in such a short space of time. Also I think it looks quite healthy so don't worry.
Good luck with your hair journey