PDA

View Full Version : About Ready to Pull My Scalp Off

nitagurl
June 28th, 2018, 08:00 AM
I've checked past threads for any and all things related to a "dry scalp" and none of them really covered my issue. I'm hoping that someone reads this and says "A-ha! I had the same problem two years ago. This is how I fixed it!"

I have had a dry scalp for as long as I can remember but I have dry skin in general, so. Allow me to briefly explain my dry skin issues in hopes that it creates a better understanding of my scalp.

I can't wash my face because it dries my skin out. I don't care what you clean your face with it doesn't work for me. I've tried every store brand face wash you could think of (like Clean & Clear, Acne Free, Neutrogena, Kiss My Face, CeraVe, Burt's Bee's, Aveeno, and even regular soap and water) to subscription-based skincare like Murad, Proactive, and I can't think of the other one. I've tried washing with Honey, ACV, and wearing Aloe Vera masks. I've tried spot treating with "spot treatment" zit creams and with good old toothpaste. Everything I have tried creates dry patches after a few days of use. I can see actual flakes on my cheek and eyebrows in addition to the god-awful, unpoppable zits that made me want to wash my face in the first place. At first I thought I had the unfortunate luck of being acne-prone but after a few years of this I gave up and just stopped washing my face altogether out of frustration. I would wipe my face with a hot towel just as part of taking a shower but that was it.

The zits cleared completely almost immediately when I did that. Even now, if I try to get fancy and put anything beyond water on my face they come back in full, disrespectful force. Although I have dry skin, I have to be careful with putting lotion on my face. Like, two drops of baby lotion is all I can risk or I'll break out. I no longer fight it, water is really all that I can use and my skin has been clear for years since excepting that.

I assumed that my scalp was the same way. I only use conditioner on my hair because I figured that the less-is-more approach probably still applies. I wash my hair with Vo5 and put Aussie Moist Hello Hydration in my hair as the leave-in. I don't use any oils, butters, or creams because they make my hair heavy and my scalp still flakes like crazy. Oh, but if flakes were the only issue I wouldn't be on LHC complaining; it's the itching that is driving me up a wall. My scalp itches so badly that there have been a number of times that I'll just scratch and scratch and find blood in one of my fingernails. Yeah. It's bad. My scalp feels like the desert floor and I don't know how to fix it.

I wash my hair every 7 days but the itching starts on day 4 or 5. I can't wash my hair any sooner than once a week because I air-dry after every wash and it takes about 3 days for it to fully dry. If I washed even one more time within that 7-day period then that would mean that my hair is going to be wet literally all year. Another reason why I don't think washing my hair more will help is because my hair type disagrees with that much manipulation. It's extremely curly and it would be murder on my strands if I detangled that often.

God, I've been rambling for hours now. My question is do any one of you guys have dry skin - and therefore a dry scalp? I'm convinced that my problems aren't dandruff related and I don't have psoriasis or eczema. But the itching is so out of this world by the end of the week that it cannot be normal. This has me second guessing if my conditioner only routine is the problem. I've heard of water-washing but I'm not understanding how my hair is supposed to get clean from that. I'm grasping at straws here.

Chromis
June 28th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Henna solved my scalp itchies for years! Seriously. I used to henna just for the scalp bennies and nice glossy thickness it gave my hair even though I wasn't actually keen on the red (it fades on me happily as it turns out!)

In the end though, it turned out to be diet that was my culprit and I only discovered this by accident. When my husband had to go on a ketogenic diet I joined in because hey why not, plus it is just easier for meal planning. It is a high fat diet and wow, the increased saturated fats super improved my dry scalp and helped my dry skin as well. Removing the vegetable oils and replacing them with butter, bacon fat/lard, and a bit of olive oil has completely changed my skin. I think the much, much high iron content of our current way of eating also made a difference. (I have a blob of liverwurst or pate every morning with my eggs for example)

This may or may not be your issue. I already ate very "clean" before that and my skin was still very dry though!

nitagurl
June 28th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Henna, you say? I've heard of it but never really thought about using it. I think I'm going to have to give that a try.

I was vegan for two years so I hear ya on the diet changes. I thought all of those fruits and veggies (and tofu and quinoa) would clear up a number of problems but I guess not lol. But I'm going to give Henna a fair try. I know I wrote a mouth-full so thank you for replying. I'll take your advice.

hennalove
June 28th, 2018, 10:18 AM
I've checked past threads for any and all things related to a "dry scalp" and none of them really covered my issue. I'm hoping that someone reads this and says "A-ha! I had the same problem two years ago. This is how I fixed it!"

I have had a dry scalp for as long as I can remember but I have dry skin in general, so. Allow me to briefly explain my dry skin issues in hopes that it creates a better understanding of my scalp.

I can't wash my face because it dries my skin out. I don't care what you clean your face with it doesn't work for me. I've tried every store brand face wash you could think of (like Clean & Clear, Acne Free, Neutrogena, Kiss My Face, CeraVe, Burt's Bee's, Aveeno, and even regular soap and water) to subscription-based skincare like Murad, Proactive, and I can't think of the other one. I've tried washing with Honey, ACV, and wearing Aloe Vera masks. I've tried spot treating with "spot treatment" zit creams and with good old toothpaste. Everything I have tried creates dry patches after a few days of use. I can see actual flakes on my cheek and eyebrows in addition to the god-awful, unpoppable zits that made me want to wash my face in the first place. At first I thought I had the unfortunate luck of being acne-prone but after a few years of this I gave up and just stopped washing my face altogether out of frustration. I would wipe my face with a hot towel just as part of taking a shower but that was it.

The zits cleared completely almost immediately when I did that. Even now, if I try to get fancy and put anything beyond water on my face they come back in full, disrespectful force. Although I have dry skin, I have to be careful with putting lotion on my face. Like, two drops of baby lotion is all I can risk or I'll break out. I no longer fight it, water is really all that I can use and my skin has been clear for years since excepting that.

I assumed that my scalp was the same way. I only use conditioner on my hair because I figured that the less-is-more approach probably still applies. I wash my hair with Vo5 and put Aussie Moist Hello Hydration in my hair as the leave-in. I don't use any oils, butters, or creams because they make my hair heavy and my scalp still flakes like crazy. Oh, but if flakes were the only issue I wouldn't be on LHC complaining; it's the itching that is driving me up a wall. My scalp itches so badly that there have been a number of times that I'll just scratch and scratch and find blood in one of my fingernails. Yeah. It's bad. My scalp feels like the desert floor and I don't know how to fix it.

I wash my hair every 7 days but the itching starts on day 4 or 5. I can't wash my hair any sooner than once a week because I air-dry after every wash and it takes about 3 days for it to fully dry. If I washed even one more time within that 7-day period then that would mean that my hair is going to be wet literally all year. Another reason why I don't think washing my hair more will help is because my hair type disagrees with that much manipulation. It's extremely curly and it would be murder on my strands if I detangled that often.

God, I've been rambling for hours now. My question is do any one of you guys have dry skin - and therefore a dry scalp? I'm convinced that my problems aren't dandruff related and I don't have psoriasis or eczema. But the itching is so out of this world by the end of the week that it cannot be normal. This has me second guessing if my conditioner only routine is the problem. I've heard of water-washing but I'm not understanding how my hair is supposed to get clean from that. I'm grasping at straws here.

My first response would be to try neem. Himalaya has a wonderful purifying neem foaming face wash that works wonders for any skin problems. Then you can get neem oil to use just a little on your scalp. It stinks IMO but does works lovely. I have scalp break-outs that responded nicely to neem oil. Next, get rid of any hair products with alcohol, sodium or SLS, all very drying for your scalp. Aloe vera powder really helps as does shikakai for washing your hair. Also very good for scalp issues are henna and cassia. Definitely nix any heat. However, if your hair is taking that long to dry, I would worry about fungal issues. So you might want to take supplements to reduce that issue AND you might want to see a dermatologist to clear your scalp of any issues. HTH

pili
June 28th, 2018, 11:11 AM
You are describing my scalp. I would scratch and it was so dry it would crack and bleed. It took a while but I learned I cannot use SLS at all. I went to CG, but my scalp still had issues. I went through a lot of trial and error and finally figured out not to wet my head daily, I switched to shampoo bars and liberal amounts of ACV, conditioners and oils cannot touch my scalp. Though for my face, I oil wash and that has definitely gotten rid of the dry patches. I can only use certain poo bars. My scalp seems to love the soap nuts bars. Also, no protein. Ever.

I mean in my hair. I actually eat paleo/keto.

Corvana
June 28th, 2018, 11:58 AM
You are describing my scalp. I would scratch and it was so dry it would crack and bleed. It took a while but I learned I cannot use SLS at all. I went to CG, but my scalp still had issues. I went through a lot of trial and error and finally figured out not to wet my head daily, I switched to shampoo bars and liberal amounts of ACV, conditioners and oils cannot touch my scalp. Though for my face, I oil wash and that has definitely gotten rid of the dry patches. I can only use certain poo bars. My scalp seems to love the soap nuts bars. Also, no protein. Ever.

I was going to mention this! I generally don't wash my face either, as doing so has always caused my skin to dry and me to break out. Someone mentioned to me oil face washes, which I was surprised existed. But they do! I haven't gotten around to trying simply because I don't generally feel I need to wash-wash my face, but it might be useful to you!

My scalp also gets really itchy, and I've found that a big part of it was SLS too often, and my scalp being wet for too long. I dropped SLS for the most part (and silicones while I was at it) due to trying to encourage my waves, and the itching was halved. Then I got a diffuser, and if I just dry my scalp with it on cool, I can go two weeks without washing before I get any itching. If your hair takes an incredible amount of time to dry, perhaps a diffuser is something you should look into. If you use it on cool or low heat, it won't cause any damage. Even if you just use it on your scalp, it could possibly help! Or at the very least, it could cut your drying time enough to allow you to wash more often.

I damp bunned recently, and where my bun sat then was very itchy until I washed again. That's what really proved to me that some of my itching was just due to my scalp being wet too long.

Lizabeth94
June 28th, 2018, 12:08 PM
I get an itchy scalp too, sometimes its unbearable and I have to put on a hat or bandana to prevent myself from scratching till I bleed or making my hair fall out. (I still scratch but the bandana keeps my nails from doing any real damage.) I also prefer just washing my face with water, just scrubbing with a warm wet wash cloth two or 3 times a day depending on how oily I am. The only time I use soap is when washing off mascara if I wear it.
I have combination skin, so I get dry flakes and oily patches at the same time, which is different from your skin time, so keep that in mind, what works for me may not work for you... For me although my ends love CO washing, my scalp doesn't. When I try CO washing multiple times in a row, I get a build up of gunk on my scalp that makes the itching much worse. Do you get gunk under your nails when you scratch? If so, you might be having a build up of conditioner on your scalp that needs to be removed once and a while. (I currently have to wash my hair twice a day as I'm a swim instructor, I teach both mornings and evenings, I CO wash or WO wash in the mornings, and in the evenings I use a chlorine removal shampoo and follow with tons of conditioner.) If my scalp gets too itchy I spread raw honey on my scalp and massage in, leave it on for a few hours, then rinse out with warm water. I find the raw honey soothes the itching immediately, although pasteurized honey doesn't work as well for some reason.
It may be worth while to talk to a dermatologist and make sure you don't have a skin condition going on. If you do, you might need a medicated shampoo! I had a friend a few years ago who was suffering from severe scalp itching and pain (couldn't even tolerate laying her head down on a pillow so had to sleep in an arm chair) she ended up needing a medicated shampoo and had to use it for a few months to correct the problem. I forget what she was diagnosed with, perhaps a fungal infection? (For the record, DO NOT put honey on a fungal infection, sugar feeds it and it will make it much worse.)

pili
June 28th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Also, as Corvana said, having your scalp sit wet for long periods of time is really not good. Do you leave your hair down while it's drying? Mine takes about 8-12 hours to dry while down and I cannot put it up at all during that time. I must wash early enough in the day for it to dry completely before I go to bed. If my scalp stays wet too long then it goes crazy.

MusicalSpoons
June 28th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Argh, you have my sympathies! I used to get itchiness to the point where I scratched until it bleed, which turned out to be a combination of reacting to something in the shampoo I was using, and my scalp not drying quickly enough. I was quite miserable until it cleared up though, so I do feel for you and really, really hope you can figure out your answer somehow :flower:

Lots of great points already mentioned; I'm glad some have mentioned oil cleansing, as that's the only thing that that keeps my face from drying out (the hot water to remove the oil can dry my skin out a little unless I spread a tough drop of oil over my skin straight after, to keep the moisture from escaping). I use straight sweet almond oil, or a hot cloth cleanser when I'm feeling fancy :grin: Unfortunately it's a bit difficult to do a true oil cleansing method with hair! (Also, I hear you on the flakes and zits. Haven't solved the latter problem yet :shake: though OCM had helped lessen them.)

(I did initially wonder whether you've had any bloodwork done to see if there's any kind of nutritional deficiency or overload, or something out of whack with hormones or enzymes, but re-reading your post it seems like you've pretty much solved your facial skin problems, or at least found something that works, so it's perhaps not an entirely systemic issue. It was just a thought.)

The diffuser suggestion might be something to consider, as hair taking so long to dry really can't be helpful. It might help your scalp if it dries quicker too. If it worked, it might even enable you to rinse your scalp more often, without wetting the lengths of your hair, if that's what it takes to keep it happy.

Have psoriasis and eczema been definitely ruled out?

Oh! Have you considered the possibility of build-up, and clarifying? I don't know whether that would cause delayed itching though; I've never experienced scalp build-up (other than of sebum) but again, just a thought.

lapushka
June 28th, 2018, 03:07 PM

The fact that your face is dry doesn't mean your scalp necessarily is. I have extremely dry face (I wash my face once a day with water, and that is when I get up), but my scalp is flaky & oily. I have Seborrheic Dermatitis, but you need to see a dermatologist for that as they will prescribe you a medicated shampoo. Believe me, you can hardly distinguish between oily and dry on the scalp! That's the pitfall!

I wash weekly now too, but I am still oily/normal on the scalp and still get SD.

You could try OTC Nizoral 1% (the prescribed version is 2%) and see if it does anything for you. You need to suds it up, leave it on for 5-10 minutes, then suds some more (wash) and rinse clear.

But I would still first and foremost recommend you see a dermatologist!!!

Shorty89
June 28th, 2018, 03:51 PM
The fact that your face is dry doesn't mean your scalp necessarily is. I have extremely dry face (I wash my face once a day with water, and that is when I get up), but my scalp is flaky & oily. I have Seborrheic Dermatitis, but you need to see a dermatologist for that as they will prescribe you a medicated shampoo. Believe me, you can hardly distinguish between oily and dry on the scalp! That's the pitfall!

I wash weekly now too, but I am still oily/normal on the scalp and still get SD.

You could try OTC Nizoral 1% (the prescribed version is 2%) and see if it does anything for you. You need to suds it up, leave it on for 5-10 minutes, then suds some more (wash) and rinse clear.

It is hard to determine isn't it! I have scalp eczema which can seem/look very similar to SD but it treated very differently. If the Nizoral doesn't work for you and makes it much worse (like it did for me), then it might be eczema and you want MORE moisture on your scalp, not more shampoo/cleansing. But, it sounds like it could also be an allergy to something in your products. Have you tried or considered going WO?

lapushka
June 28th, 2018, 04:28 PM
I "experimented" with products a lot before finally biting the bullet and going to see a dermatologist, and I wish I had done it much sooner. All the money I spent on unnecessary things that didn't do a darn thing for me (oils, special shampoos, etc.), and it all just exacerbated my condition. The dermatologist prescribed me one shampoo and it fixed the itch almost immediately. 2 washes and it was completely gone.

enting
June 28th, 2018, 04:43 PM
I agree with seeing a dermatologist first. That's not guaranteed to solve it, but at least they can check and make sure there's nothing obvious going on.

My face gets awfully dry and itchy if I do not apply moisturizer or oil immediately after washing. Most moisturizers also make me break out. Sometimes oiling my scalp just before washing my hair helps reduce the itchies - it allows less water through to my scalp, and water dries out my skin and makes it itch. If there's any way to help your roots and scalp dry faster that may also help, even if it's just dabbing a towel near your roots to absorb some water. Vinegar rinses also help calm my scalp down.

I don't know if any of the above will help you, I don't know if our scalps are dealing with anything similar. But if you feel like trying them they do seem to help me a bit.

Ligeia Noire
June 28th, 2018, 05:23 PM
I am definitely with Lapushka if you can, schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. Who knows what is causing it? It could be the products, the water, the diet? Hormones? Fungus? Like it was said it will save you time and money.

renia22
June 28th, 2018, 05:28 PM
I would try a small section of your scalp dabbed with lemon essential oil (not lemon juice). You can mix a few drops with some warm water, perhaps some pure aloe if you have any (I wouldn’t mix with a carrier oil since this might exacerbate the issue), and dab right on the scalp with a cotton ball, and see how you feel. I’d try only a small section at a time, and if it helps, try on a larger area. I’ve found lemon essential oil to be a godsend for itchies.

cjk
June 28th, 2018, 06:01 PM
I assumed that my scalp was the same way.

Never assume. Assuming is almost never a good idea.

So let's start at the beginning. You said you have dry skin. You've been diagnosed with dry skin? Or you're just describing it that way?

As several others have already said, nutritional issues can cause many of the symptoms you describe. And diets like veganism can be very good or very bad, depending on individual responses.

Keto agrees with me.

I've heard of water-washing but I'm not understanding how my hair is supposed to get clean from that.

Let's start with that assumptions. Dirty hair. What is making it dirt You? Are you rolling around in the dirt? Was used motor oil poured on your head during your car's tune up?

If not, tell me what makes your hair so dirty?

Most people confuse oily for dirty. Sebum is our natural hair oil. Our skin makes it. Shampoo strips it away and our skin replaces it.

Accepting nature is usually a good idea, or at least not a harmful one.

Cleansing your hair with water will wash away dirt and contaminants, and a percentage of the sebum. But leave much of it. There is almost always a transitional period, and some recommend an initial cleansing wash.

But that's a matter for individual experimentation.

nitagurl
June 28th, 2018, 06:26 PM
I was going to mention this! I generally don't wash my face either, as doing so has always caused my skin to dry and me to break out. Someone mentioned to me oil face washes, which I was surprised existed. But they do! I haven't gotten around to trying simply because I don't generally feel I need to wash-wash my face, but it might be useful to you!

My scalp also gets really itchy, and I've found that a big part of it was SLS too often, and my scalp being wet for too long. I dropped SLS for the most part (and silicones while I was at it) due to trying to encourage my waves, and the itching was halved. Then I got a diffuser, and if I just dry my scalp with it on cool, I can go two weeks without washing before I get any itching. If your hair takes an incredible amount of time to dry, perhaps a diffuser is something you should look into. If you use it on cool or low heat, it won't cause any damage. Even if you just use it on your scalp, it could possibly help! Or at the very least, it could cut your drying time enough to allow you to wash more often.

I damp bunned recently, and where my bun sat then was very itchy until I washed again. That's what really proved to me that some of my itching was just due to my scalp being wet too long.

I think you're onto something there. I used to wet bun and the moisture made my scalp itch like a :lipssealed:. So much so that I had to stop and it took a long time for my scalp to feel normal again. I have to let this possibility sink in.

nitagurl
June 28th, 2018, 06:30 PM

I haven't used SLS, silicones (unless they are water-soluble), or alcohol in my hair for 6 years. I started the CG method almost as soon as I cut all of my hair off and went natural. So I am definitely on the "avoid sulfates" bandwagon lol. You mentioned not letting any of the product touch your scalp even during a wash.....I might have to try that. I never thought to do that so I'm going to give that a go starting this weekend.

nitagurl
June 28th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Argh, you have my sympathies! I used to get itchiness to the point where I scratched until it bleed, which turned out to be a combination of reacting to something in the shampoo I was using, and my scalp not drying quickly enough. I was quite miserable until it cleared up though, so I do feel for you and really, really hope you can figure out your answer somehow :flower:

Lots of great points already mentioned; I'm glad some have mentioned oil cleansing, as that's the only thing that that keeps my face from drying out (the hot water to remove the oil can dry my skin out a little unless I spread a tough drop of oil over my skin straight after, to keep the moisture from escaping). I use straight sweet almond oil, or a hot cloth cleanser when I'm feeling fancy :grin: Unfortunately it's a bit difficult to do a true oil cleansing method with hair! (Also, I hear you on the flakes and zits. Haven't solved the latter problem yet :shake: though OCM had helped lessen them.)

(I did initially wonder whether you've had any bloodwork done to see if there's any kind of nutritional deficiency or overload, or something out of whack with hormones or enzymes, but re-reading your post it seems like you've pretty much solved your facial skin problems, or at least found something that works, so it's perhaps not an entirely systemic issue. It was just a thought.)

The diffuser suggestion might be something to consider, as hair taking so long to dry really can't be helpful. It might help your scalp if it dries quicker too. If it worked, it might even enable you to rinse your scalp more often, without wetting the lengths of your hair, if that's what it takes to keep it happy.

Have psoriasis and eczema been definitely ruled out?

Oh! Have you considered the possibility of build-up, and clarifying? I don't know whether that would cause delayed itching though; I've never experienced scalp build-up (other than of sebum) but again, just a thought.

Yes, I've had blood work done numerous times and the only thing has ever come back is that I'm anemic. I've tried both diffusing and blow drying but both have made my scalp painfully thirsty twice as fast so that is why i've been air drying. The water has been like a literal drink of water. And then my hair dries and it's back to feeling itchy.

nitagurl
June 28th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Also, as Corvana said, having your scalp sit wet for long periods of time is really not good. Do you leave your hair down while it's drying? Mine takes about 8-12 hours to dry while down and I cannot put it up at all during that time. I must wash early enough in the day for it to dry completely before I go to bed. If my scalp stays wet too long then it goes crazy.

I immediately put my hair into two big braids and let it dry that way. If i leave my hair down for it to dry then I'll have a tangled ball of hay to comb through afterward.

nitagurl
June 28th, 2018, 07:15 PM

It is hard to determine isn't it! I have scalp eczema which can seem/look very similar to SD but it treated very differently. If the Nizoral doesn't work for you and makes it much worse (like it did for me), then it might be eczema and you want MORE moisture on your scalp, not more shampoo/cleansing. But, it sounds like it could also be an allergy to something in your products. Have you tried or considered going WO?

I'll have to consider a dermatologist if all else fails. I thought I needed a dermatologist for my skin and it turned out i just needed a hot towel. I feel like a derm for my scalp problem is akin to getting surgery for something that needs a band-aid. Not to mention that I can't afford a dermatologist. Tis' the life of the broke lol. I just really doubt my issue is at that stage.

nitagurl
June 28th, 2018, 07:25 PM
I agree with seeing a dermatologist first. That's not guaranteed to solve it, but at least they can check and make sure there's nothing obvious going on.

My face gets awfully dry and itchy if I do not apply moisturizer or oil immediately after washing. Most moisturizers also make me break out. Sometimes oiling my scalp just before washing my hair helps reduce the itchies - it allows less water through to my scalp, and water dries out my skin and makes it itch. If there's any way to help your roots and scalp dry faster that may also help, even if it's just dabbing a towel near your roots to absorb some water. Vinegar rinses also help calm my scalp down.

I don't know if any of the above will help you, I don't know if our scalps are dealing with anything similar. But if you feel like trying them they do seem to help me a bit.

So far this thread has taught me to invest in Henna, try to keep product (even conditioner) off of my scalp, somehow reduce how long my scalp is wet, play with ACV rinses, and invest in a dermatologist. Honestly, I'm taking everything you guys have said into deep consideration and I really appreciate it.

nitagurl
June 28th, 2018, 08:18 PM
Never assume. Assuming is almost never a good idea.

So let's start at the beginning. You said you have dry skin. You've been diagnosed with dry skin? Or you're just describing it that way?

As several others have already said, nutritional issues can cause many of the symptoms you describe. And diets like veganism can be very good or very bad, depending on individual responses.

Keto agrees with me.

Let's start with that assumptions. Dirty hair. What is making it dirt You? Are you rolling around in the dirt? Was used motor oil poured on your head during your car's tune up?

If not, tell me what makes your hair so dirty?

Most people confuse oily for dirty. Sebum is our natural hair oil. Our skin makes it. Shampoo strips it away and our skin replaces it.

Accepting nature is usually a good idea, or at least not a harmful one.

Cleansing your hair with water will wash away dirt and contaminants, and a percentage of the sebum. But leave much of it. There is almost always a transitional period, and some recommend an initial cleansing wash.

But that's a matter for individual experimentation.

Question 1: I'm just describing it that way. Combination and Oily have never described the issue. Also, my diet has ranged in such ways that I can safely conclude my food isn't going to help or hurt the situation. A burger feeds me just as well as vegan pho - and hasn't changed my anemia, skin, hair or other health concerns that I thought my diet my address.

Question 2: When I absentmindedly scratch my scalp and find dirt under my nails that makes me feel like it is dirty. In my mind, washing my hair with just water is like washing my body with just water. My scalp never gets oily. Ever. Never. Ever. But it does get dirty. I need only smell it to realize that. I've been interested in knowing how some manage there hair with a WO routine because it does lean more towards the less-is-more routine that I wish I had. But I have to have some kind of conditioner in my hair in order to detangle it so I've wondered how all of that product over a period of months would ever wash away. Water can only do so much.

Can I take a guess that you WO wash? How do you moisturize and prevent product build up?

mane_event
June 28th, 2018, 08:22 PM
You may already be doing this, but I'd also suggest to cut out all fragrance in your hair products if you haven't already. Artificial fragrance is a big no-no for sensitive skin, and while many folks do have success with certain essential oils, they can also be very irritating for some, so exercise caution there as well. I always advise patch testing with anything new you put in contact with your skin.

nitagurl
June 28th, 2018, 08:32 PM
You may already be doing this, but I'd also suggest to cut out all fragrance in your hair products if you haven't already. Artificial fragrance is a big no-no for sensitive skin, and while many folks do have success with certain essential oils, they can also be very irritating for some, so exercise caution there as well. I always advise patch testing with anything new you put in contact with your skin.

I've actually never thought of that! Every hair product I purchase is in my cabinet because it lacks sls and silicones AND because it smells good. So your advice makes a ton of sense. Thank you! I swear, I'm keeping a list of everything ya'll have said. Thank you guys. Seriously.

cathair
June 28th, 2018, 08:45 PM
I'll have to consider a dermatologist if all else fails. I thought I needed a dermatologist for my skin and it turned out i just needed a hot towel. I feel like a derm for my scalp problem is akin to getting surgery for something that needs a band-aid. Not to mention that I can't afford a dermatologist. Tis' the life of the broke lol. I just really doubt my issue is at that stage.

Would it be any cheaper for you to see a regular doctor/GP? They may still be able to help you very well.

You've put up with it for along time, but making your scalp bleed by scratching isn't standard. My brother did this and gave himself an infection. Which became the reason the itching wouldn't clear up. He had no idea, but the doctor immediately knew what was up.

cjk
June 28th, 2018, 09:44 PM
When I absentmindedly scratch my scalp and find dirt under my nails that makes me feel like it is dirty. In my mind, washing my hair with just water is like washing my body with just water. My scalp never gets oily. Ever. Never. Ever. But it does get dirty. I need only smell it to realize that. I've been interested in knowing how some manage there hair with a WO routine because it does lean more towards the less-is-more routine that I wish I had. But I have to have some kind of conditioner in my hair in order to detangle it so I've wondered how all of that product over a period of months would ever wash away. Water can only do so much.

Can I take a guess that you WO wash? How do you moisturize and prevent product build up?

I started from razored bald. Which is an amazing way to exfoliate too. So my experience is likely going to be unique.

But I had heard about this water only thing and decided to give it a try. So I water cleansed my hair and scritched my scalp as my hair grew. And it worked. My hair has never had an aroma, it certainly doesn't smell, and it was last shampooed at the end of 2016.

I used no products whatsoever for the first year. And when I had enough length to realize that I was developing curls, and looked critically at my dry tips, I added a light conditioner. Nothing more. Still not shampooed, it hasn't needed it.

The only dirt I get in my hair is grass clippings on Saturdays. I also run distance, currently training in 100f heat for a 10k distance, so believe me when I say that I sweat. I water cleanse at least weekly.

That is all.

One thing I do to avoid buildup is using different products periodically. Figured cycling between them would keep any individual one from building up.

But by the standards of any "normal" person I might as well be using water only. I use that little.

My hair is short relative to some here, but it is long by male standards. And getting longer. Only my tips need occasional extra moisture, the rest is perfect.

Reservechic
July 1st, 2018, 09:14 AM
I suffer with dry-to very dry, very sensitive, acne prone skin. I also suffer with seborrheic dermatitis and scalp eczema. The itching and inflammation, along with the flaking, can get super bad. I highly recommend anyone who has severe issues with itchiness, dryness, and/or flaking on their scalp and/or body to definitely go and see a dermatologist. The only thing that helps me best with my seborrheic dermatitis are steroid creams. I don't like using such long-term, but OTC creams and lotions aren't effective enough. When it comes to my scalp eczema, I have gotten insurance approved laser scalp eczema treatments, I get monthly UV light therapy treatments done (to my face and scalp), however, I have not been lucky in finding any prescribed shampoos or topical treatments that have been if a lot of help towards greatly controlling my scalp eczema, so I just do the best that I can with trying to go the gentle route when it comes to what I use to cleanse and style my hair with. However, everyone's situation is different, so I would never rule out trying either a prescription shampoo and/or prescription topical cream or spray to be used on your scalp, to help with controlling severe dryness, flakiness, and itching.

And, plenty of times, i have encountered trouble sleeping due yo my scalp itching me so bad. I would scratch so much till it would bleed, which of course I didn't like, but there was no way for me not to scratch. However, when the inflammation and scratching gets super unbearable, my dermatologist, will have me given a shot, that works to help bring down the inflammation, which in turn, helps a lot with with the itching too.

lemonlife
August 29th, 2018, 11:41 PM
Hello skin/scalp twin. I feel your pain. I don't have any definite answers, as literally any variable change (like, the weather) sets off my skin & scalp. My latest horror show is due to me going camping for 4 days. Most of what I'm going to say will echo the above.

1) Patch test everything before you use it (heck, patch test everything you currently use). You might be allergic to something in the products, or a food you're eating, or even the metal of the pipes that pump the water to your shower.

2) Hot water is not fun. I mean, it feels nice. But, dry skin & itchy scalp & weird hair cuticle nonsense. This doesn't mean cold showers (though a cold rinse of my head/hair/scalp at the end of my shower helps me). A lukewarm or warm but not too warm shower is good.

3) Don't scratch. Yeah, It's impossible. But, scratching irritates it. Instead of scratching, try lightly rubbing with the pads of your fingers. If you're a scalp picker like me, I'm so sorry. Mindfulness techniques help a little. So does keeping your fingernails short.

4) Try the dandruff shampoo once. Not 2 days in a row. Just one time. If I'm having a spell that can be fixed by the stuff, I'll feel less itchy & can do it one more time 4 days later & the itch will be abated until *something else* triggers it.

5) Sometimes apple cider vinegar helps (dilute it first - half vinegar, half water). Let it sit about 4-5 minutes, rinse out thoroughly with cold water. Treat this like the dandruff shampoo. Try it once. If it helps, do it again in 4 days.

6) Screw it, oil your scalp. Find a lighter oil, dab it all over your scalp. Give it a few hours or overnight. Wash it out with a sulfate free shampoo that you've patch tested on your arm. Like the above try it once.

7) What are you eating? If you're eating healthy, it's probably not this (unless it's a food allergy).

8) You mentioned anemia, I think? That can cause skin issues. & It makes any pre existing any skin issue worse. Also itching like hell as you try to sleep. Not kidding, it's on the list for night itchies: https://www.healthline.com/health/itchy-skin-at-night

9) Are you sick/were you sick last week? Sometimes the body does weird, irritating sh-stuff when it's recovering from an illness.

10) Dermatologist
Since you're trying to fix things before you go. Keep a list of dates, symptoms, and treatments. Like, what date this scalp problem started on, were your scalp white flakes & dry? Or yellow flakes and oily? Bumps? Scabs? Pus? Then add what you tried, and what your scalp did in response, and if that changed over a day or two. You will end up with a long list. Print that out & drop it in front of your dermatologist like it's a mic. If you're nice, email her a copy before you go. But, you must have a physical copy with you at the visit to reference - in case they try to hustle you out without talking to you.

Now, I know you've noticed by now, a lot of what I'm saying involves allergies. I personally feel most people overlook allergies that aren't extreme. Like, people will tell themselves it's asthma, & suddenly they're fine when they no longer live next to an orchard. Or they get red/swollen ears from "cheap" earrings & never bother to look into the nickel allergy that's also causing a rash where their glasses touch their face. Or, like my cursed friend, believed she was gluten intolerant, then found out she's allergic to a preservative. I'm not saying it's allergies. I'm just saying take a look at it.

Buena suerte

lapushka
August 30th, 2018, 06:02 AM
nitagurl, how's it going currently? :)