PDA

View Full Version : How much hair oil do you use?

mane_event
June 27th, 2018, 09:51 PM
Hi folks!

I'm relatively new to using natural oils on my hair (6 months or less), and I'm wondering---when you oil your hair, how much oil (and what kind!) do you use?

Right now I use a 50/50 blend of avocado and jojoba oils, and most days I part my hair down the middle and use a dime-sized amount on each side, starting at the ends and working my way up. The night before wash day, though, I work a large quantity all through my hair until it looks almost wet and let it sit overnight.

I sometimes wonder if I'm using too much, but I'm frankly baffled when people say they use just a few drops--if you do this, how do you get it spread throughout your hair? Do you find it to actually be moisturizing? I'm genuinely curious!

Milady_DeWinter
June 27th, 2018, 10:03 PM
I just use 6-7 drops, I put it in my hands, rub them and apply it onto my hair. I usually put a conditioning hair salve just before, as oils are NOT moisturizing, just help to contain the moisture :)

Avocado oil is my fav hair oil to go :o

littlestarface
June 27th, 2018, 10:13 PM
It depends what i'm doing it for, so like say before a shower I do aton of oil and during a shower I use about a quarter size amount of oil after a shampoo before conditioner.

Before shower I use castor oil on the scalp with black seed oil, coconut oil on the length. During a shower I use olive oil but I wanna try black seed oil then too but I always forget it before I get in so I just end up using the olive oil again.

Teazel
June 27th, 2018, 10:48 PM
I use jojoba oil whenever my hair gets snarly. So, maybe every 3 weeks or so...? Just 3 drops each side (from the ears down) provides enough slip.

Deborah
June 27th, 2018, 11:19 PM
None. My hair does not seem to need conditioners or oil, so I don't use either. Probably that is why I only need to wash it once a week. I don't put anything on it that attracts dirt or creates oiliness.

school of fish
June 28th, 2018, 06:43 AM
None. My hair does not seem to need conditioners or oil, so I don't use either. Probably that is why I only need to wash it once a week. I don't put anything on it that attracts dirt or creates oiliness.

^^I am same, I use none for the same reasons - only difference for me is that I wash daily and I do use conditioner. Oil never absorbs into my strands, only sits on top and attracts yuck, so there's no benefit for me personally.

Amount of oil is really going to be an individual thing - lots of people benefit greatly from oiling in varying amounts and frequencies, so trial and error is probably your best friend here :)

How you oil may also dictate amount - whether you're using it as a leave-in after washing or a pre-treatment before for example.

Have fun experimenting! Hopefully some of the routines people post here will provide some inspiration for things to try :)

TreesOfEternity
June 28th, 2018, 07:16 AM
For pre shampoo treatment I use half a teaspoon of coconut oil (sometimes mixed with avocado or olive oil), on clean damp hair I use 4 drops of mineral oil and between washes I use one or two pumps of jojoba or argan oil on dry hair to keep moisture locked in once or twice a day.

lapushka
June 28th, 2018, 08:31 AM
I do the rinse-out oil method, and use about 10 drops of baby oil on the last 5 inches of my hair. The link to the oil rinse is in my signature, should you be interested in switching things up. With this method you wash, then oil (lengths/ends), then use conditioner. You either rinse the oil out first before applying the conditioner, or you can smash your conditioner on right away.

I use a serum, not an oil, for my LOC/LCO method (styling).

MusicalSpoons
June 28th, 2018, 08:56 AM
It completely depends on how my hair is feeling, what I'm using it for, and which oil I'm using! My main oil use is sweet almond or mineral oil for an oil rinse, and I'll use a small puddle in the palm of my hand - but again it does depend on how my hair is feeling and how it's been during the week before I do a full wash.

I used to regularly oil on dry hair but the effect did not last as long and it really does attract lint for me. Now if I oil on dry hair it's usually for an occasional pre-poo treatment, in which case I will saturate my hair.

Like most methods and techniques on LHC, experimenting is the only way to really find out what works best for your own hair :) enjoy!

ETA: no, oils on their own are not moisturising. Some can help strengthen the hair by penetrating the cuticle and ... I can't think of the right word, but the fatty acid in the oil can help to strengthen the hair or provide elasticity. So oils can be nourishing, they can provide slip, they can help keep moisture in, but they don't actually gone any moisture by themselves

hennalove
June 28th, 2018, 10:35 AM
Hi folks!

I'm relatively new to using natural oils on my hair (6 months or less), and I'm wondering---when you oil your hair, how much oil (and what kind!) do you use?

Right now I use a 50/50 blend of avocado and jojoba oils, and most days I part my hair down the middle and use a dime-sized amount on each side, starting at the ends and working my way up. The night before wash day, though, I work a large quantity all through my hair until it looks almost wet and let it sit overnight.

I sometimes wonder if I'm using too much, but I'm frankly baffled when people say they use just a few drops--if you do this, how do you get it spread throughout your hair? Do you find it to actually be moisturizing? I'm genuinely curious!

It depends. On a daily basis, likely only a dime size if that. If wanting a quick smooth, less than a dime. If doing a braid, a good dime. If using shampoo once a month, or indigo none but when washing with shikakai and aritha, or doing a straight henna a good oiling is in order.

nycelle
June 28th, 2018, 10:38 AM
I only use a couple of drops on my ends when I need more slip.
Other than that, I stopped oiling my hair months ago as I realized it didn't do anything for my hair, no matter which way I used them.

To keep my hair well moisturized, I use leave in conditioners.

ravenskey
June 28th, 2018, 10:41 AM
I oil twice a day everyday. I use almond or coconut oil, normally I use a €2 sized bit of almond oil and a couple of fingertips worth of coconut oil on the length of my hair, if it feels very dry I just add more until it feels nice e.g. on Saturday I used half a palms worth of coconut oil because it felt really dry.

Lanalavallama
June 28th, 2018, 11:13 AM
My hair likes castor oil which is surprising because my strands are fine.
Olive Oil is meh, okay but not spectacular. My hair is loving grapeseed oil though.

If it is a hot oil treatment, or if I am oiling my scalp, then I use a generous amount.
For regular styling, much less. I hate greasy feeling hair, and too much oil just sits on top.
So, a little grapeseed oil on soaking wet hair and then conditioner as an additional leave-in on top of that.

MoonRabbit
June 28th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Some times I will do an overnight oil soak. I did one last wash with coconut oil and 1/4th teaspoon was enough to saturate my length and ends.

When I used to apply oil daily one or two drops would get the job done.

Dark40
June 28th, 2018, 11:34 AM
I use 5-10 drops of oil, any type of oil that I can get my hands on. I part my hair down the middle apply the oil in the palm of my hands rub it in, then I apply it to my hair, and then I brush it through. That usually moisturizes my hair.

Peppergirl
June 28th, 2018, 03:06 PM
I don’t have much hair yet, but I put coconut oil on my fingertips and use lightly on my hair daily. My hair and skin love it.

cjk
June 28th, 2018, 05:38 PM
My hair does not respond well to oils. But my beard does. Different textures. I've experimented and found, to that end, I actually should use extra virgin olive oil from the kitchen.

It works. For me.

https://i.imgur.com/aAhFgm7_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/qULCM7G_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

https://i.imgur.com/MqZLSzr_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Starchild494
June 28th, 2018, 06:52 PM
My hair does not respond well to oils. But my beard does. Different textures. I've experimented and found, to that end, I actually should use extra virgin olive oil from the kitchen.

It works. For me.

I have been trying to get my DH to oil and condition this beard but he is just too damned lazy! Loving the epic beard!

mane_event
June 28th, 2018, 08:05 PM

It works. For me.

Thanks cjk those pics are a helpful visual!

And thanks to everyone else as well--I'm feeling very reassured by the variety in people's answers!

Lizabeth94
June 28th, 2018, 09:40 PM
I don't use any oils, I don't like the way they make my hair feel. They just make it feel sticky and dirty, and don't moisturize at all. Instead I use leave in conditioners for deep conditioning treatments.

Jo Ann
June 28th, 2018, 11:13 PM
When I use coconut oil on my damp hair, I dip three fingers in up to the first joint past the nails and use that amount on each side of my hair (hair is divided in half) and only from the ears down. On dry hair, I use an argan oil serum (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spring-Valley-Organic-Morroccan-Argan-Oil-Serum-2-Oz/46342028): first, I divide my hair into fourths (the top in two halves, and the back and sides in half); then I use seven drops for each of the back/sides halves and five-seven drops on each top half. The bottle comes with it's own eyedropper.

illicitlizard
June 28th, 2018, 11:24 PM
When my hair was shoulder length I'd use maybe 2 drops, spread them over my hands and rake it through my mids-ends.

Bookprincess
June 29th, 2018, 12:30 AM
I oil the ends of my hair with olive oil pretty much every day, just with a little (like 3 drops). I prepoo with it on the length too and really saturate my hair with it. Fun! I love oils

Alissalocks
June 29th, 2018, 08:33 AM
Morning, a few drops of a light oil from Nightblooming and comb it in so it disappears.

Before bed, a few drops of the same, just finger combed in, before braiding for sleep.

Before shampoo day, a palmful of sweet almond oil on each side of my head, applied from the ears down until saturated, and sleep overnight (or 2 nights, if it's a lazy stay at home weekend).

Pacific
June 30th, 2018, 12:11 AM
On wash days I use 3 palms coconut oil on my scalp and hair as a pre wash treatment.

Wendyp
June 30th, 2018, 11:55 AM
I use 3-4 drops of nightbloomings monthly blends, rub my hands together and apply ears down focus on ends. I do this every morning and night.

Zesty
June 30th, 2018, 02:25 PM
I use several palmfuls of herb-infused coconut oil every other wash and let it sit under a heat cap. In between I'll sometimes put a bit of amla oil on my ends, but that's just a sheen on my palms on each side.

Joules
June 30th, 2018, 02:48 PM
If we're talking pre-poo oilings, I soak my hair completely. The oil has to be dripping off my ends, otherwise it's not enough oil :D I don't know whether oils are actually mosturizing or what, but I do know that pre-poo heavy oilings are probably the main thing that transformed my hair and allowed it to grow long.

When it comes to leave-in oils, I use 10 drops max.

I also like to add my fave oil blend with lanolin to my conditioner (half a teaspoon per 100ml of conditioner).

I found that for me food-grade extra virgin oils from my local grocery store work best. I love olive, grapeseed, castor, coconut, sea buckthorn, flaxseed, hempseed. I do use cosmetic argan oil as a leave-in, and I have some other cosmetic oils and butters, like shea and cocoa, but not all of them work as good as "food oils". I do plan to downsize my stash and go minimalistic.

Simsy
June 30th, 2018, 06:19 PM
I use Argan oil, a palmful for each half split down the back of my head; applied 1-3 times a week during detangling, depending on hair styles. I also drench my braid tassels in oil before bunning, in addition to the first round of oil. If the mop is being particularly argumentative, it gets an extra palmful or 2 of oil while being detangled.

For some reason, Jojoba or olive oil doesn’t quite do the trick so I’m left with the more expensive option.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 30th, 2018, 08:03 PM
I try to only apply oils heavy before wash day, because oils on dry hair attracts lint.
And too much oil on wet hair after washing, just looks oily and gross lol

Othala
July 1st, 2018, 06:10 PM
I use about half a teaspoon (2.5 ml) of mineral oil every morning on damp or wet hair.

leayellena
July 2nd, 2018, 08:57 AM
Just one drop is enough for me

paiged
July 25th, 2018, 10:13 PM
I don't really have an exact amount. I just keep adding a little bit of oil at a time until I feel satisfied.

yahirwaO.o
July 25th, 2018, 10:18 PM
2 Drops for me. I like subtle application even for deep treatments. It copes better with very few!

MissMuse
July 26th, 2018, 12:35 AM
Just a few drops otherwise it looks too oily

RosieFleurNuit
July 26th, 2018, 06:44 PM
2 or 3 drops for me!

Kat-Rinnè Naido
July 28th, 2018, 01:44 PM
It basically depends on what I am doing.
As a pre wash treatment, I use extra like 1-2 spoons full.
I sometimes oil between washes damping my hair first then apply a few drops.
If I use coconut oil I do tend to go heavy handed. As my hair tends to drink up the oil pretty fast.

LittleHealthy
July 28th, 2018, 03:47 PM
I use about 6-7 drops of olive oil in my ends after a wash while my hair is still wet. The first day it looks a little greasy but after that it all seems to absorb in and disappear :)

*Wednesday*
July 28th, 2018, 03:57 PM
After I wash my hair, I separate each side into 4 quadrants. Then I oil each section about 2 to 3 drops.

Dark40
August 2nd, 2018, 04:53 PM
After washing I apply a half 3 half dollar size amount of oil to my hair. I have to apply a lot. Because, my hair is very thick.

vampyyri
August 2nd, 2018, 04:57 PM
Wash day: easily two quarter sized amounts that I let sit in my hair for 1-2 hours before I wash my hair. Then once I'm out of the shower, 10 drops from the ears down.
Normally: As needed, usually 2-3 drops whenever I redo my sleep braided bun.

nycelle
August 2nd, 2018, 05:06 PM
I generally only oil my ends when I need extra slip, and use less than a dime sized amount.

Recently I found an oil serum I love without silicones.. yaay.. I've been using two pumps, about a dime throughout my length and ends the day after my wash. I like using it on dry hair for shine, softness and frizz control.

daisy rei
August 2nd, 2018, 10:54 PM
I've only tried coconut oil so far, which is solid. I completely coat my entire scalp and length until it's heavily saturated before I CO wash. I still find it amazing that conditioner alone manages to get it all out and leave my hair super fluffy! I don't feel any need to decrease the amount, especially since my dry/sensitive scalp loves coconut oil. :p