PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get your hair wet in the shower?

wannabe-rusalka
June 27th, 2018, 08:42 AM
Hi, I have been wondering for a while how many (if any) of you get your hair wet everytime you shower, especially if you shower daily. I’ve noticed that when I don’t do this my hair feels nicer.

When I get my hair wet in the shower, I always use conditioner but it still seems dry when I wet it daily.

For some reason, I assumed that everyone always wet their hair in the shower but, after putting some thought into it, that would mean that your hair is always wet for some of you.

browneyedsusan
June 27th, 2018, 09:27 AM
It depends on the day.
I also shower at night, if that makes a difference. :) If I spend time indoors, and my hair doesn't get full of pollen-- a big allergy trigger for me -- I just put it in a topknot when I shower. It stays mostly dry.

If it's a workout day, or I've been driving around with the top off my Jeep, I try to rinse it out. If I do that, I condition the length and rinse it again. Follow with a light oil and coney serum on top of that. If it's late, I'll put it in a top knot for sleep. If it's not, I'll look at TV and knit for a while, then it will be mostly dry when I go to bed. When I get up the next day, I'll take it down while I get coffee, dress, and get ready for my day. My hair is usually about dry when I fix it for work. I wear a wide variety of styles, and this works for me. :)

My hair feels the same whether I wet it down or not. I tend to get a headache if it gets dirty, so I wash every few days.

lapushka
June 27th, 2018, 09:37 AM
I wash (wet) my hair once a week. Wash day is early Sunday for me.

Maybe you could try and see how long it takes before it becomes truly oily. That is your cut-off point for really wetting / washing it.

TreesOfEternity
June 27th, 2018, 09:45 AM
I bun my hair and put on a shower cup so it doesn’t get wet. Water only touches it on wash day every 4 or 5 days.

Milady_DeWinter
June 27th, 2018, 09:49 AM
I shower every day without getting my hair wet, unless it's wash day. In summer, or if I do a heavy workout, I can have it wet every day or almost everyday, without washing it (wáter only, may be a bit of conditioner).

Arciela
June 27th, 2018, 09:51 AM
For me it just depends when I feel like it, sometimes its every day, sometimes its every 2-3 days.

wannabe-rusalka
June 27th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Thank you all for the imput! I am trying not getting it wet and it seems to be working.

However, I will probably still dampen my hair a little bit with a spray bottle to braid it just because my hair is so fine and slippery if I don’t my braids will start to shred within 15 minutes.

irodaryne
June 27th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Every five days, when I wash it. Otherwise I stick it up in a bun under a shower cap (or if I'm at my partners place where I just haven't bothered to get a shower cap I just bun it and am very careful to not get it wet). I'll rinse it if it gets into something gross, though.

Also this isn't counting the nape hairs that will get wet regardless of what I do.

MoonRabbit
June 27th, 2018, 11:24 AM
Once a week when I actually wash my hair.

I've been thinking about getting the PonyDry for scalp only washes to see if I can push not washing my length even longer.

https://www.ponydry.com/products/pony-dry-waterproof-hair-sleeve

Dendra
June 27th, 2018, 11:36 AM
I only wet my hair when I'm shampooing it, otherwise my shower cap goes on! The less you wet your hair the better (hygral fatigue) so unless your scalp needs a wash then I'd avoid it.

That being said, I err on the side of 'if my scalp kind of feels like it needs cleaning, clean it', ever since I tried to stretch washes and my scalp freaked out.

MusicalSpoons
June 27th, 2018, 12:13 PM
I shower daily (well, nightly) but I only wet my hair when I wash it. Which, for my scalp hair, is every two days, with a full wash once a week on average, so actually pretty frequently :lol: But only because my scalp needs it to be presentable, not because I want to.

A couple of summers back I did occasionally just rinse my hair on non-wash days when my scalp felt all gross from sweating, but my hair did not like that. Nowadays if I don't need my hair to be presentable I will go three or four days between any type of washing, in which time I don't get it wet in the shower.

Wildhorserider
June 27th, 2018, 12:32 PM
I co wash daily for two reasons. 1 I also will be in big trouble if I leave pollen in my hair. I’m allergic to everything! 2 it’s short right now so I have to wet it to get it to lay down right. When it’s heavier/ linger and not allergy season, I’ll push wash days.

wannabe-rusalka
June 27th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Once a week when I actually wash my hair.

I've been thinking about getting the PonyDry for scalp only washes to see if I can push not washing my length even longer.

https://www.ponydry.com/products/pony-dry-waterproof-hair-sleeve

Oooh- if you buy that please let me know if it works!

Mademoiselle
June 27th, 2018, 01:06 PM
I wet it every three or four days (when I wash it with shampoo) but sometimes I have to wet it with a spray in the morning because it takes strange shapes while I sleep = (I have apl+ with layers at the height of the jaw and it is difficult to have a decent way :horse:

Pumpkin3826
June 27th, 2018, 02:01 PM
I only get my hair wet on wash days (sundays). The rest week when I shower I clip it up on top of my head with two claw clips I have on the shower curtain, I also put on a little cotton headband because I am 6 months into growing out blunt bangs and sometimes they just do not want to behave. I keep my headband and clips next to the shower to help remind me. I hate just getting my hair wet but not washing it, I just feel like it is unnecessary damage. I always used to see people in movies and tv shows shower with their hair up and it baffled me, "they don't get their hair wet?!" Now I totally get it. Lol. :pumpkin:

Sarahlabyrinth
June 27th, 2018, 02:10 PM
I only wet mine when it is washed, so twice a week (or now that I wear a head cover, once, as my hair doesn't get as oily or generally dirty now). I just have my hair bunned and don't put it under the water. My nape hairs get wet but I don't worry about those getting wet - they are dry half an hour later anyway.

CopperButterfly
June 27th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Oooh- if you buy that please let me know if it works!
I have one of those pony dry things, my scalp needs daily washing. Anyway, it definitely works, you just have to do a nice high pony. A low pony lets the water slide down in.

Cg
June 27th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Never. I wash my hair separately, once a week. I don't shower with a cap, just keep hair bunned.

Lizabeth94
June 27th, 2018, 06:14 PM
My hair gets wet often twice a day, morning and evenings, but im a swim instructor so its kinda inevitable. I use tons of conditoner and even do some CO washes, it helps with yhe constant dryness.

*Wednesday*
June 27th, 2018, 07:12 PM
I shower nightly. I only get it wet twice-weekly Sunday and Wednesday which are wash days for me. That's the only time it gets wet.

Chromis
June 27th, 2018, 07:18 PM
I only wet mine when I wash it. I put it up and wear an extra-extra large shower cap other says since our showerhead tends to overspray otherwise. I always take a showercap on vacation too since hotel showers are the worst for that!

nycelle
June 27th, 2018, 07:38 PM
My hair goes up in a claw clip on the days I don't wash it (I shower daily.)

Bookprincess
June 27th, 2018, 08:07 PM
Only on wash days, so once or twice a week. Otherwise I put it in a claw clip and wear a shower cap.

Teazel
June 27th, 2018, 08:18 PM
I scalp wash every second day, and the length of my hair only gets wet when I wash/condition it, which is every 3 months or so. No, it doesn't get smelly. :D Since the "health" of my hair is spectacular, if I do say so myself, I think it benefits from not getting wet.

EdG
June 27th, 2018, 08:23 PM
I water-only wash my hair every 1-3 days. Since the weather is now hot, I wash almost daily.

I don't think there is much need to avoid getting the hair wet with water-only. The sebum isn't being washed out. Washing is helping to get the lint tangles out. :)
Ed

Bookprincess
June 27th, 2018, 08:27 PM
I scalp wash every second day, and the length of my hair only gets wet when I wash/condition it, which is every 3 months or so. No, it doesn't get smelly. :D Since the "health" of my hair is spectacular, if I do say so myself, so I think it benefits from not getting wet.

How do you wash only the scalp? Today is the first day I heard about this!

AutobotsAttack
June 27th, 2018, 08:44 PM
Sometimes daily if I co-wash daily and shower twice a day.

If I’m stretching washes I’ll not wet my hair every 3-5 days.

spidermom
June 27th, 2018, 09:03 PM
I have a shower cap to keep my hair dry when it doesn't need to be washed.

Teazel
June 27th, 2018, 11:09 PM
How do you wash only the scalp? Today is the first day I heard about this!

I described the method I use here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119848&page=6&p=3033516&viewfull=1#post3033516). :)

Deborah
June 27th, 2018, 11:15 PM
I wash my hair on Saturdays, and that's the only day it gets wet in the shower. The rest of the week I put it up in a sloppy bun, and it stays dry.

eresh
June 28th, 2018, 07:43 AM
I shower without getting my hair wet (bun it).
I wash my hair once a week, shampoo, conditioner, a bit of coconutoil.

MlleMC
June 28th, 2018, 08:36 AM
My hair takes about 12 hours to fully dry (or more if I don't leave it down, which is getting problematic at my length), so I never get it wet unless I'm washing it. I pretty much always wear a shower cap to keep it dry on non-wash days.

Wildhorserider
June 28th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Teazel- oh my gosh, you just changed my life! When my hair is longer, this is what I’ll do! I learn something new here every day!

Carolyn
June 28th, 2018, 09:32 AM
If I'm not all sweaty I usually shower every other day and I do a CO wash or an S & C wash. Once in a great while I will shower and not want to wash my hair so I just claw clip it up. Every other day washing seems to keep my hair the softest and most moisturized. If I go to the third day my scalp gets super itchy and I am scratching at my scalp with my nails. That can't be a good thing. Now that it's summer and hot I am showering and washing my hair every day.

TatsuOni
June 29th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Only when I wash it and that is every other week or less. Otherwise I just use a shower cap.

Shorty89
June 29th, 2018, 11:14 AM
My hair gets wet pretty much every time I shower. I usually shower every other day. I only need to wash once a week but I often get sweaty or use bug spray in the summer so I need to rinse it often.

trolleypup
June 29th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Only when I wash it, so about once a week. Otherwise it is bunned up. I suppose the edges get damp.

Beckstar
June 29th, 2018, 06:31 PM
I wash my hair once a week in the tub. I rarely take showers.
So I'd say I get it wet once a week.

illicitlizard
June 29th, 2018, 11:46 PM
Only when I need to wash it... Otherwise it makes my hair feel weird, and seems to make it dirtier faster. Shower caps are my best friend :P

Pacific
June 29th, 2018, 11:50 PM
I shower twice daily and use a shower cap. My hair gets wet by washing it every other day.