PDA

View Full Version : Age related thinning - at what age does it happen?

Sarahlabyrinth
June 25th, 2018, 10:15 PM
I'm curious - and in my 50's, so.... it will be looming at some stage, I'm sure. What are your experiences with this, if any?

Jo Ann
June 25th, 2018, 10:32 PM
No thanks to vitamins and MSM, mine's starting to thicken up, Sarah, at 61.

FWIW, Mom has and Daddy had full heads of hair--Daddy passed at 66, Mom's still going strong at 83. My paternal grandmother had a full head of hair and my maternal grandmother's hair was thinning around her mid-70s.

I'm hoping to keep a full head of hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 26th, 2018, 12:37 AM
No thanks to vitamins and MSM, mine's starting to thicken up, Sarah, at 61.

FWIW, Mom has and Daddy had full heads of hair--Daddy passed at 66, Mom's still going strong at 83. My paternal grandmother had a full head of hair and my maternal grandmother's hair was thinning around her mid-70s.

I'm hoping to keep a full head of hair.

Wow! My mother and elder sisters still have good heads of hair. My sisters are in their 70s and my mother just turned 94. If you stare closely you can see tiny areas of scalp here and there but really it's not too bad for that age. I can tell that my sisters' hair has thinned a little from what it was. What vitamins do you take, and what is MSM? Here's my mother's hair:

https://i.imgur.com/0GtdjUq.jpg

GrowlingCupcake
June 26th, 2018, 02:59 AM
From what I know, thinning is generally based on genes from your mother's line. If your maternal line doesn't show much thinning, you probably won't either.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 26th, 2018, 03:24 AM
From what I know, thinning is generally based on genes from your mother's line. If your maternal line doesn't show much thinning, you probably won't either.

Well, I hope not! :D

lapushka
June 26th, 2018, 05:34 AM
I think you don't need to "count" on it, Sarah, as it might not even happen. It's not a given that people's hair automatically thins out in later stages in life. Some may go through that, but others might not.

I think it all depends.

My mom lost hair after pregnancy, and it never came back. Then when menopause hit, it thinned out more (she went through menopause age 42). She is in her 70s now and her hair loss is consistent and not that much anymore. She has i (almost i/ii) hair, so a good thick i, not on the very edge of thinnest.

I think hormonal changes are the worst. And about the only thing that can do this to you.

Did you go through menopause yet? If so, I would not worry.

lithostoic
June 26th, 2018, 05:39 AM
Your mother's hair is beautiful!

Sarahlabyrinth
June 26th, 2018, 05:58 AM
I think you don't need to "count" on it, Sarah, as it might not even happen. It's not a given that people's hair automatically thins out in later stages in life. Some may go through that, but others might not.

I think it all depends.

My mom lost hair after pregnancy, and it never came back. Then when menopause hit, it thinned out more (she went through menopause age 42). She is in her 70s now and her hair loss is consistent and not that much anymore. She has i (almost i/ii) hair, so a good thick i, not on the very edge of thinnest.

I think hormonal changes are the worst. And about the only thing that can do this to you.

Did you go through menopause yet? If so, I would not worry.

Well, it's almost a year since my last period, so I guess it's happening :)Not sure quite how you define it, really.

Your mother's hair is beautiful!

Thank you, I think her hair is very lovely!

Jo Ann
June 26th, 2018, 09:17 AM
Wow! My mother and elder sisters still have good heads of hair. My sisters are in their 70s and my mother just turned 94. If you stare closely you can see tiny areas of scalp here and there but really it's not too bad for that age. I can tell that my sisters' hair has thinned a little from what it was. What vitamins do you take, and what is MSM? Here's my mother's hair:

https://i.imgur.com/0GtdjUq.jpg

Your mother is a gorgeous lady, Sarah! Her hair is very full for her age!

I take two multivitamins and about 4000 mg of MSM a day. MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is a sulphur compound, usually combined with joint supplements like glucosamine chrondroitin, to help people who suffer from arthritis. I read on a couple of threads here that it may help with hair and nail growth (and my nails are thin). You can get it in a pharmacy or health foods store, either in capsule, tablet or powder form. Make sure you also take it with orange juice (or some other beverage high in vitamin C) or vitamin C supplements--it needs vitamin C to help it work more efficiently.

lapushka
June 26th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Your mother is a gorgeous lady, Sarah! Her hair is very full for her age!

I take two multivitamins and about 4000 mg of MSM a day. MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) is a sulphur compound, usually combined with joint supplements like glucosamine chrondroitin, to help people who suffer from arthritis. I read on a couple of threads here that it may help with hair and nail growth (and my nails are thin). You can get it in a pharmacy or health foods store, either in capsule, tablet or powder form. Make sure you also take it with orange juice (or some other beverage high in vitamin C) or vitamin C supplements--it needs vitamin C to help it work more efficiently.

I always take my glucosamine/chondroitine with my multivitamin (effervescent tablet). Some jars have MSM in them, others not, and I see no difference on my hair when I do take the ones with MSM in it. Just FYI. :)

*Wednesday*
June 26th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Your mom looks great. She does have beautiful White hair. As far as age, probably like skin. Some people retain longer.

MSM has quality issues you need to watch for. Many vitamins containing MSM are from China and contain fillers and not pure MSM. You need pure MSM in order to receive any strong benefit.

The MSM should have such by OptiMSM and CGMP compliant. I take Solgar SHN which has OptiMSM. I see no difference in my hair thickness by my nails benefit from it.

I’ll just give mention. Another supplement that’s supposed (I have no support) to be good for hair is Fo Ti. It is a Chinese herb. I’ve been taking this for liver and kidney support. There are people who swear it’s helped reverse or lessen some (not all) of their grays if they are less than 40% gray, as well as assisted in hair growth and hair loss. It is supposed to have skin, hair and nail benefits. As with all herbs proceed with caution. Most are claims.

harpgal
June 26th, 2018, 11:49 AM
This coming Saturday, I will become 70! It just does not seem possible. Except for threads of moonlight, there is not any noticeable thinning. The idea that everybody loses their hair when getting older is just not true. There are many, many other factors involved.

spidermom
June 26th, 2018, 11:53 AM
I would say that my hair has thinned from crazy thick to normal thick with my advancing age, so not a lot of change so far.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 26th, 2018, 04:03 PM
It's good to hear that thinning doesn't "automatically" happen, I have been known to worry about it :p :D

enting
June 26th, 2018, 04:11 PM
My paternal grandmother never had any noticeable thinning. My maternal grandmother does have thinning. Many elderly people do seem to get that "dandelion clock" effect with thinning, but that's not everyone. DH's grandmother had very thick hair, I'm sure it was thicker than mine, in her 90s.

If it worries you, I'd say to measure your circumference once in a while just to reassure yourself :)
Should thinning happen, as unlikely as it seems in your case, your hair will still be glorious. There's no doubt about that.

lapushka
June 26th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Your mom looks great. She does have beautiful White hair. As far as age, probably like skin. Some people retain longer.

MSM has quality issues you need to watch for. Many vitamins containing MSM are from China and contain fillers and not pure MSM. You need pure MSM in order to receive any strong benefit.

The MSM should have such by OptiMSM and CGMP compliant. I take Solgar SHN which has OptiMSM. I see no difference in my hair thickness by my nails benefit from it.

I’ll just give mention. Another supplement that’s supposed (I have no support) to be good for hair is Fo Ti. It is a Chinese herb. I’ve been taking this for liver and kidney support. There are people who swear it’s helped reverse or lessen some (not all) of their grays if they are less than 40% gray, as well as assisted in hair growth and hair loss. It is supposed to have skin, hair and nail benefits. As with all herbs proceed with caution. Most are claims.

I take MSM supplements that are produced locally and not in China, and still I see no difference. Are you claiming that if you can't see a difference something must be wrong with the MSM? I somehow doubt that. Not everything impacts us the same way. And there are no "miracles" out there, not even if they're called "MSM". ;)

*Wednesday*
June 26th, 2018, 04:42 PM
I take MSM supplements that are produced locally and not in China, and still I see no difference. Are you claiming that if you can't see a difference something must be wrong with the MSM? I somehow doubt that. Not everything impacts us the same way. And there are no "miracles" out there, not even if they're called "MSM". ;)

No, not at all. My thoughts, if one were going to give it their all with MSM I would recommend using at least good quality. I think people misinterpret it for hair growth. It's claim is made in extending the anagen phase. I don't know how scientifically proven that is. I had read that using high-quality is where you would get the most benefit (joint management, inflammation, SHN) from it. If you would see it all. I'm using good quality and like you see no difference except in my nails which led me to take it.

Maybe some of these supplements and vitamins produce more of a psychological effect making us think something's happening and nothing's happening.

Jo Ann
June 26th, 2018, 06:14 PM
No, not at all. My thoughts, if one were going to give it their all with MSM I would recommend using at least good quality. I think people misinterpret it for hair growth. It's claim is made in extending the anagen phase. I don't know how scientifically proven that is. I had read that using high-quality is where you would get the most benefit (joint management, inflammation, SHN) from it. If you would see it all. I'm using good quality and like you see no difference except in my nails which led me to take it.

Maybe some of these supplements and vitamins produce more of a psychological effect making us think something's happening and nothing's happening.
Well, I like to think that it's made a difference ;) Between going back to work, eating better, taking vitamins and MSM, I've noticed a difference. Maybe it's just me :shrug:

YMMV, as always :flower:

*Wednesday*
June 26th, 2018, 08:40 PM
Well, I like to think that it's made a difference ;) Between going back to work, eating better, taking vitamins and MSM, I've noticed a difference. Maybe it's just me :shrug:

YMMV, as always :flower:

Sorry. I know I seem negative. I do realize some people get more out of them than others. Sometimes the vitamins work in combination with other things. I do take vitamins myself but just for overall health reasons. I do believe it can help the quality of your hair. That is important.

Jo Ann
June 26th, 2018, 09:47 PM
You weren't negative, *Wednesday*, and the caveat is appreciated. :flower: Sometimes I forget the "YMMV" part when I tout something.

eresh
June 27th, 2018, 07:01 AM
My hair has thinned the last 3 years, I lost 3 cm of thickness in circumference.
But I'm still a ii.
I'm 42 now.
Maybe it wasn't thinning because of age but because of stress, also possible....I dunno.

I'm not taking any special suplements for hair, only Supradyn daily tablets to solve in water, they have a mix of minerals and vitamins.
What vitamins are good to take especially for your hair?