PDA

View Full Version : Hairtoys and airport security?

CopperButterfly
June 25th, 2018, 11:46 AM
My first question is, does anyone have an experience with flexis in metal detectors? Would I be better off not wearong one through airport security. I'll be traveling with my kids, and definitely don't want to to be redoing my hair in the airport.

Second question, what do you all find to be the most comfortable hair for traveling? Braids tend to become a disheveled mess very quickly for me, but I'm thinking buns get in the way of head rests, making them uncomfortable also. Maybe a really high bun, top knot type of thing?

enting
June 25th, 2018, 01:27 PM
I usually fly with a braided bun. I either make sure it's very high, or I take it down and let it just stay in its braid for the flight and pin it back up around landing. In my experience I usually have to redo a bun at some point anyway because if I opt out of the American backscatter machine and have a patdown they squish my hair for good measure.

AshtangiPNW
June 25th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Yes, I was wondering the same about ficcares and TT sticks! I would hate to lose one in security....

MidnightMoon
June 25th, 2018, 02:58 PM
It's definitely not a problem. I've also traveled with bigger and heavier toys with a more "menacing" shape and no problem. I usually put my hair toys in hand luggage, all of them, including flexis, fakkares, sticks, metal forks, etc. and have had no problem.
For traveling I prefer one oe two braids, though. You said you don't like them very much, but it's hard not being able to rest your head properly in long haul flights.

akurah
June 25th, 2018, 03:08 PM
I wouldn’t take anything expensive through and i put it down to go through the xray machine. I’ve taken my quattros through no problem. I also usually put the bun on top of my head so it’s not in the way when I lean my head back on the seat.

They will probably pat down your back. My hair has always set off that scanner and they’ve always patted my back there to check. I asked the lady once and she confirmed it was the hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 25th, 2018, 03:18 PM
I will be travelling next month and plan to wear a flat cinnabunned braid held with a pair of claw clips. It worked well for me last time and there were no questions at security.

As for hair toys, I'm putting them all in my checked luggage and hoping it doesn't get lost.

tangocurl
June 25th, 2018, 09:01 PM
A wooden fork works well for me when I have to go through metal detectors.

pailin
June 25th, 2018, 11:01 PM
I had my braid patted down once- that time the security lady said it probably seemed suspicious because it was still wet.
I usually do a braid, and carry an acrylic hairstick to bun the braid, but leave the braid down when actually on the plane.
On my last trip, I had some acrylic sticks and ficcares in a roll-up cloth pencil case, and it held me up at security a couple of times. Once I had to take it out and show them, and they checked the points on all my sticks. Another time I think the ficcares were the problem - they thought they might be tweezers. If I remember correctly, it happened in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Can't remember about Bangkok. So although I don't want to put expensive things in my checked baggage, some things may slow you up at security. Maybe it wouldn't happen if the security people knew about hairtoys....

ETA I'll probably break down and check the ficcares next time rather than risk them with overzealous security people.

trolleypup
June 25th, 2018, 11:44 PM
Most of the time I forget my stainless stick and walk through with no issues. Once in a while, they ask about it. Rarely they do a bun check...and get a bit annoyed when I pull the stick and short circuit their bun squeezing.

Wendyp
June 26th, 2018, 05:56 AM
My flexis and ficcares don’t set the mag off going through the courthouse. I’m not sure if the mags are set higher at the airport. I would caution using hair sticks and anything pointy. They are considered weapons and security could make you toss them. I can’t wear anything pointy when I’m headed to court.

cjk
June 26th, 2018, 08:56 AM
I had the same concern. They use metal detectors to detect stuff they might consider dangerous but also use their eyes.

For instance I wouldn't suggest bringing a ceramic knife on board a plane, even though the metal detector wouldn't find it.

Stabby and pointy things like hair sticks might be problematic, depending on how gung-ho the TSA officer is.

CopperButterfly
June 26th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to try a high bun with claw clips. It's not that I dislike braids, they just fall out, and I don't just mean shred. The hair at my scalp just gets looser and looser until some hair its no longer in the braid. I'm open to any tips to keep slippery hair in braids. :)

Thanks for sharing the hair toy experiences. My sister has had metal clips set off the airport metal detectors. When my hair was shorter I'd just leave it loose for traveling.

MusicalSpoons
June 26th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to try a high bun with claw clips. It's not that I dislike braids, they just fall out, and I don't just mean shred. The hair at my scalp just gets looser and looser until some hair its no longer in the braid. I'm open to any tips to keep slippery hair in braids. :)

Thanks for sharing the hair toy experiences. My sister has had metal clips set off the airport metal detectors. When my hair was shorter I'd just leave it loose for traveling.

It's not ideal, but the only way I can do it (even though my shortest face-framing layers are now ~APL :rolleyes: ) is to start with a ponytail. I personally hate hairties and what they did to my hair, so I understand if you don't wish to use them, but occasional use may be better tolerated :) Even if I want to do a braided bun, I have to start with a ponytail (or I can get away with a French braid, if I'm mentally prepared for a full complement of wispies!)

Thinking about it, a couple of times I did replace the hairtie with a small flexi-8, which should be okay if security agents use any kind of common sense. It still was less effective for me than a hairtie, though.

Conflizzled
June 26th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Iíve had my hair pinned with bobby pins before and they usually give me a head pat down, but then no further problems. Lately Iíve been wearing braids with hair ties just so itís one less thing to worry about. They do look a little frazzled after an overnight flight, but I canít get comfortable with a bun. Iíd love to figure out a way to not look quite so haggard after a long flight!

Conflizzled
June 26th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Also, since they allow knitting needles (even metal ones) to be carry-ons, I feel like they really should be easier-going about hair toys! 🤷🏻*♀️

lakhesis
June 26th, 2018, 01:59 PM
I think I have the same thing going on with a braid as you described. When I went for a long bus trip I first put my hair into low ponytail with a satin scrunchie and then braided the rest and it didn't fall apart that much :)

Conflizzled
June 27th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Thatís a great idea about the low-pony and scrunchie! Iím going to have to try that!