PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a trim?

Synester
June 22nd, 2018, 01:26 PM
My last trim was months ago? maybe 4 months ago in early Feb. I like to keep a blunt straight across hemline. And recently my hemline is so...scraggly and "puffy" "frizzy" looking at the ends. I stopped using heat 2 months ago. and S&D every now and then, why is my hair so scraggly at the ends or so frizzy looking. should I trim? my last cut they too WAY too much off almost 3 inches and now I feel like I just got my length back, I need to trim it again.
https://postimg.cc/image/uaxtwybr5/
https://postimg.cc/image/epgid1htd/

im stressing out lol.

Bookprincess
June 22nd, 2018, 01:45 PM
When you look at the end, does it seem to have split ends? To me it just looks like they could do with some oiling and maybe some protective hairstyles. I hate trimming!

ursaV
June 22nd, 2018, 01:50 PM
I would wait if I were you. Just in my opinion, you look like you're in need of some moisture, especially since you only quit heat styling very recently. I'm sure if you do some moisture treatments and keep your ends lightly oiled and out of the way for a bit they will look better. Then you can avoid trimming and keep some of the progress you made, so when you do feel like cutting off the damage it won't be as painful.
Don't stress! :heartbeat

Kellylee
June 22nd, 2018, 02:52 PM
It looks like you have a similar hair type to me. Your ends just look dry. Have you tried giving them a good long hair mask?

lapushka
June 22nd, 2018, 03:07 PM
I think your ends look just fine! :) I would examine for white dots up the shaft, possibly S&D those a bit.

Synester
June 22nd, 2018, 08:13 PM
No white dots or splits which is great. and I just did a mask right before that photo. and it looked so poofy and frazzled. i need to learn how to tame my ends. my hair is mostly straight at the top...wavy at the ends. but yeah I really dont want to trim them but i will do w.e. i can is best for my hair.

_fred_
June 23rd, 2018, 03:41 AM
Your ends look really similar to mine sometimes, though different hair type and mine's a lot shorter. I've always found that the final few inches of my hair can look like that, and it doesn't matter whether I've had a trim lately. I've been getting good results by moisturising them - spraying on water or a leave-in conditioning spray, and sometimes also oiling a little once it's damp.

Best of luck!

spidermom
June 23rd, 2018, 09:59 AM
Have you done a clarifying wash all the way to the ends in recent weeks? If you haven't, it's worth a try. Sometimes buildup can make ends look like that.

Follow the clarifying wash with a moisture treatment or use your regular conditioner twice, letting it marinate a little longer than usual.

AutobotsAttack
June 24th, 2018, 04:44 AM
I would wait if I were you. Just in my opinion, you look like you're in need of some moisture, especially since you only quit heat styling very recently. I'm sure if you do some moisture treatments and keep your ends lightly oiled and out of the way for a bit they will look better. Then you can avoid trimming and keep some of the progress you made, so when you do feel like cutting off the damage it won't be as painful.
Don't stress! :heartbeat

I definitely second this.

You most certainly do not need to clarify to your ends whatsoever. Moisture. Moisture. And more moisture. Definitely.

Your ends look good though. Just by looking at it, I thought you already had trimmed your ends. But once again, definitely do some thorough deep treatments, and add a serum or light oil to the ends.

lapushka
June 24th, 2018, 09:03 AM
No white dots or splits which is great. and I just did a mask right before that photo. and it looked so poofy and frazzled. i need to learn how to tame my ends. my hair is mostly straight at the top...wavy at the ends. but yeah I really dont want to trim them but i will do w.e. i can is best for my hair.

I would try the clarify wash (also put shampoo on the ends, don't just let the suds travel down). Then do a few conditioning treatments one after the other, or a good long deep conditioner; and possibly use a leave-in or serum on the ends after hair comes out the towel.

Good luck!

Synester
June 25th, 2018, 08:52 PM
can anyone recommend some good moisture treatments or serums (preferably no silicone) im doing a experiment with no cones to see if maybe its too heavy for my ultrafine hair. good moisture, good serums..good oils or masks or anything. im all ears. im glad everyone thinks from the photos it looks alright.

MusicalSpoons
June 26th, 2018, 08:11 AM
can anyone recommend some good moisture treatments or serums (preferably no silicone) im doing a experiment with no cones to see if maybe its too heavy for my ultrafine hair. good moisture, good serums..good oils or masks or anything. im all ears. im glad everyone thinks from the photos it looks alright.

The best thing I recently did for my hair was co-wash. I don't think it was the co-washing itself that made it feel amazing, but the effect of leaving a relatively huge amount of conditioner - that I know my hair likes - on for much longer than usual. I used to use what I felt was a sparing amount because I thought it still did the job, but since than I use a more generous amount when I do a full wash and my hair rather likes it! :grin: Basically, a deep condition with a conditioner you know your hair likes :) [You may find it needs to be rinsed exceptionally well, especially if your hair is ultrafine.]

I also find using mineral oil or sweet almond oil for the rinse-out oil method helps keep the ends nicely moisturised for a week between full washes. If it's something you're interested in trying, I recommend reading as much of the ROO thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191) as possible to work out what sort of oil your hair might like :)

Deborah
June 26th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Your hair looks a little dry, that's all. Maybe you would benefit from conditioner only washing (CO washing.) Many folks find that this keeps their hair better moisturized if they have some damage from using heat on their hair.