PDA

View Full Version : Water proof/water resistant hairtoys?

Lizabeth94
June 20th, 2018, 11:04 PM
So I'm now working daily as a swim instructor (best job ever!), and my hair is almost shoulder length. Just enough that it gets in my face and gets annoying. Wearing a swim cap is generally a no no since it looks funny/scary to little kids, so I've been either pulling my bangs back into a halfback style, or doing tiny french braided pigtails. As my hair keeps growing though, I'll need a way to keep it better contained and protected from chlorine damage, and out of reach of kids who often grab onto anything when feeling scared. Today I even had a little boy grab my hair when practicing a back float, which surprised me considering how short it is. Ouch!

What kind of hair toys do well in water. My only thoughts so far are invisibobble elastics, and maybe acrylic hairsticks, but hairsticks are not allowed due to the risk of someone getting poked by it.

As a side note, i get chronic migraines so I cant tolerate tight buns or ponytails, so I'm looking for toys that are both water resistant and can secure a loose hairstyle.

cjk
June 21st, 2018, 09:48 AM
I encountered some plastic "tortoiseshell" barrettes which have no metal parts. The one I bought looks like a capital S. Uses the flex to clip onto itself. No metal barrettes.

I don't yet have enough length to wear it but I'm headed that direction.

Maybe something like that?

Katia_k
June 21st, 2018, 10:24 AM
Claw clips might be a good way to go. And the variety of sizes might be good for a variety of styles.

Lizabeth94
June 21st, 2018, 08:20 PM
Cool I will look for those!

Lizabeth94
June 21st, 2018, 08:24 PM
Claw clips might be a good way to go. And the variety of sizes might be good for a variety of styles.

I haven't had much success with claw clips in the past, I find them very painful. :( Also the metal spring on the inside will likely rust, although I've seen some other instructors wear them. Maybe they just buy replacements frequently.

PixieP
June 22nd, 2018, 06:03 AM
How about acrylic forks? Like the Crocket Mountain wood twisted forks (I have gone swimming with a braided bun held with my twisted fork, it was almost difficult to get out afterwards, that's how firm it held XD). With the twisted prongs you can have it much shorter than a stick, so not the risk of being poked. If you contact CMW prior to buying, they will usually shorten it to a length that works for you :)

Other than that I'm thinking spin pins.

Lizabeth94
June 22nd, 2018, 07:34 AM
Those are great ideas pixiep! I will look up the shop.

MlleMC
June 22nd, 2018, 09:36 AM
My go-to when swimming is a braided pinless nautilus bun, but that requires a lot more length.

At your length, you could simply tuck in your French braid without any accessory, and when it gets too long to hold this way, you could add a spin pin or two.

Lizabeth94
June 22nd, 2018, 09:20 PM
My go-to when swimming is a braided pinless nautilus bun, but that requires a lot more length.

At your length, you could simply tuck in your French braid without any accessory, and when it gets too long to hold this way, you could add a spin pin or two.

Thats a good idea, I think tucked french braids look gorgeous.

enting
June 24th, 2018, 10:12 AM
I use these (http://www.manyhorses.com/store/GHD/squarewavecombo.jpg) Good Hair Days pins for when my hair is wet. They function just like hair pins or mini two prong forks, but there is no metal at all. They have a head curve on them to help them "lock" into place. Extra bonus - if one falls out it should float.

Lizabeth94
June 24th, 2018, 09:23 PM
I use these (http://www.manyhorses.com/store/GHD/squarewavecombo.jpg) Good Hair Days pins for when my hair is wet. They function just like hair pins or mini two prong forks, but there is no metal at all. They have a head curve on them to help them "lock" into place. Extra bonus - if one falls out it should float.

Cool I haven't seen those in store yet but I will keep my eye out for them! It would be awesome if they floated as well in case they fell out. It would make them easier to find!

enting
June 25th, 2018, 11:57 AM
I ordered them online, I've never seen them at stores either. I ordered from many horses, the link above, and had a really good customer experience. They're also on eBay. I bought all the different shapes to see which works best with my hair. So far I've been gravitating the most toward the regular u pin shape and the wavy u shape. I can test out if they float in my bathroom sink, I think they do I've just never tried it to see.

CopperButterfly
June 25th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Bememo 20 Pieces Lady Style Grip Hair Pins, Magic Simple Fast Spiral Hair Braid Twist Styling Clip Pin, Black and Brown https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CCNC575/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RFsmBbJWE1W9R

Came across these on Amazon. I havent tried them myself, but they look like they'd work well.

Lizabeth94
June 25th, 2018, 01:32 PM
Bememo 20 Pieces Lady Style Grip Hair Pins, Magic Simple Fast Spiral Hair Braid Twist Styling Clip Pin, Black and Brown https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CCNC575/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RFsmBbJWE1W9R

Came across these on Amazon. I havent tried them myself, but they look like they'd work well.

Those look similar! I'll add them to my wish list. hmm, my hair is only shoulder length but I wonder if I could do some kind of french twist? I think I've seen versions for short hair! :hmm:

Lizabeth94
June 25th, 2018, 01:34 PM
I ordered them online, I've never seen them at stores either. I ordered from many horses, the link above, and had a really good customer experience. They're also on eBay. I bought all the different shapes to see which works best with my hair. So far I've been gravitating the most toward the regular u pin shape and the wavy u shape. I can test out if they float in my bathroom sink, I think they do I've just never tried it to see.

cool lemme know if they float!

enting
June 25th, 2018, 02:33 PM
cool lemme know if they float!

Sad news, they do not. I completely expected them to. Oh well.

Maybe you can give them little "floaties" at the bend!