PDA

View Full Version : Making wavy hair straighter again

Anewtake
June 20th, 2018, 08:12 PM
I am a new member, hello to all. I have been lurking around for 2 years but just decided to join as I needed help from you all.

My hair is more straight (1c), these days it has become 2a/2b and feels rough/bumpy. Any suggestions for me?

I use aussie shampoo and conditioner. I also use a leave in conditioner.

I am in late 20s, female, waist length asian hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 20th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Hi and welcome :) Sometimes hair does change over the years, it's nothing to worry about. I think you are very lucky to get nice waves :D

cailinbee
June 20th, 2018, 08:23 PM
You're on the right track if you're really wanting to encourage the waves to straighten out, I think. Look for conditioners with silicones, if you're okay with using them. I think Aussie has them? From what I recollect Aussie definitely weighed my hair down toward 1b.

Also many here don't recommend it but have you tried brushing/combing while your hair is wet? That's the main thing that kills my waves if I want straight hair for the day. You don't have to be mechanically rough; if you do brush out while wet, just keep up the use of coney (thus slippery) products to prevent tears and maybe use a wide-toothed comb instead of a dense brush.

Other things to consider are your climate and lifestyle factors that might be making your hair feel different than usual. Try clarifying and then moisturizing regular with coconut oil or something that works for you. Consider the humidity or dryness of your environment/house, the way you style or don't style your hair to sleep, how often you wash, etc.

There are so many factors that influence the swing between 1b-2a, I'm sure others here will zoom in on more ideas for you! Personally I love having waves to play with!

Anewtake
June 20th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Hi and welcome :) Sometimes hair does change over the years, it's nothing to worry about. I think you are very lucky to get nice waves :D

Thanks but I dont know how to manage this hair.

Anewtake
June 20th, 2018, 08:29 PM
You're on the right track if you're really wanting to encourage the waves to straighten out, I think. Look for conditioners with silicones, if you're okay with using them. I think Aussie has them? From what I recollect Aussie definitely weighed my hair down toward 1b.

Also many here don't recommend it but have you tried brushing/combing while your hair is wet? That's the main thing that kills my waves if I want straight hair for the day. You don't have to be mechanically rough; if you do brush out while wet, just keep up the use of coney (thus slippery) products to prevent tears and maybe use a wide-toothed comb instead of a dense brush.

Other things to consider are your climate and lifestyle factors that might be making your hair feel different than usual. Try clarifying and then moisturizing regular with coconut oil or something that works for you. Consider the humidity or dryness of your environment/house, the way you style or don't style your hair to sleep, how often you wash, etc.

There are so many factors that influence the swing between 1b-2a, I'm sure others here will zoom in on more ideas for you! Personally I love having waves to play with!

Ok I will try this. What is clarifying? I use sulphate anyway, is there a difference?

cailinbee
June 20th, 2018, 08:36 PM
Clarifying is mostly using sulfates, yeah. It's basically getting the residue from conditioners, products, and even prior shampooings off. (Residue can make hair feel dry or weighed down or other unwanted texture effects)

Some people find they don't need to specifically clarify. For me, I do it intentionally maybe once or twice a month, and my hair and scalp always feel refreshed and the texture is just...healthier-feeling.

If you want you could try specifically clarifying shampoos -- Neutrogena makes one that's a bit pricey but is made specifically to cut to the chase and just de-scum everything. Not sure how much of it is just marketing, as it definitely clarified when I tried it...

https://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Anti-Residue-Shampoo-Fl-Oz/dp/B005IHT8KI

...but for me, Suave Daily Clarifying, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Clarifying, and my husband's plain old Head & Shoulders work just as well. All worth a shot, though! Everyone's hair and scalp and water hardness and such are different.

good grief I hadn't realized just how darn many shampoos and conditioners I've tried until rattling them all off, lol!

akurah
June 20th, 2018, 08:39 PM
How do you normally wear your hair, and how often do you wash it?

Anewtake
June 20th, 2018, 08:46 PM
Clarifying is mostly using sulfates, yeah. It's basically getting the residue from conditioners, products, and even prior shampooings off. (Residue can make hair feel dry or weighed down or other unwanted texture effects)

Some people find they don't need to specifically clarify. For me, I do it intentionally maybe once or twice a month, and my hair and scalp always feel refreshed and the texture is just...healthier-feeling.

If you want you could try specifically clarifying shampoos -- Neutrogena makes one that's a bit pricey but is made specifically to cut to the chase and just de-scum everything. Not sure how much of it is just marketing, as it definitely clarified when I tried it...

https://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Anti-Residue-Shampoo-Fl-Oz/dp/B005IHT8KI

...but for me, Suave Daily Clarifying, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Clarifying, and my husband's plain old Head & Shoulders work just as well. All worth a shot, though! Everyone's hair and scalp and water hardness and such are different.

good grief I hadn't realized just how darn many shampoos and conditioners I've tried until rattling them all off, lol!

Thanks I will buy Suave and try tomorrow.

I also have many conditioner and shampoo :)))

Anewtake
June 20th, 2018, 08:47 PM
How do you normally wear your hair, and how often do you wash it?

I wash once in 2 days, sometimes once in 3. I wear loose on day 1, pony on day 2.

SeRe
June 20th, 2018, 08:49 PM
henna makes hair straighter, have you tried it?

Anewtake
June 20th, 2018, 08:49 PM
henna makes hair straighter, have you tried it?

Yes, I apply once a mont

MoonRabbit
June 20th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Thanks but I dont know how to manage this hair.

Do you not like this new texture because you don't know how to style and care for it? Or do you want to straighten it because you don't like more defined waves?

Anewtake
June 20th, 2018, 09:30 PM
Do you not like this new texture because you don't know how to style and care for it? Or do you want to straighten it because you don't like more defined waves?

I'm used to my hair, it doesn't frizz. This is frizzy and waves are not uniform. Some are big and some are tight. I want my straighter hair back.

MoonRabbit
June 20th, 2018, 09:38 PM
I'm used to my hair, it doesn't frizz. This is frizzy and waves are not uniform. Some are big and some are tight. I want my straighter hair back.

Maybe you should try embracing these new waves. I am a 2a/b and before I started my journey I would try to style and care for my hair like it was straight, which actually made it more frizzy and unhealthy. Yes waves do come in all shapes and sizes but if you treat them right they can really shine and look beautiful. It took me a long time to figure this out, and once I started to see results I began to love them. Just a thought...I know in the long run it is easier to work with a texture than trying to work against it.

Anewtake
June 20th, 2018, 09:41 PM
Maybe you should try embracing these new waves. I am a 2a/b and before I started my journey I would try to style and care for my hair like it was straight, which actually made it more frizzy and unhealthy. Yes waves do come in all shapes and sizes but if you treat them right they can really shine and look beautiful. It took me a long time to figure this out, and once I started to see results I began to love them. Just a thought...I know in the long run it is easier to work with a texture than trying to work against it.

I tried it and used conditioner to wash, it caused more hair to fall during washing. Then I applied my roommate's curl cream, it made my hair oily.

cathair
June 20th, 2018, 09:51 PM
I use cones. Separate my hair with my fingers, then finger comb every so often till dry. Which is enough to pull the waves out these days. Usually under a very under powered, wall mounted fan heater. Ceiling fan works the same why when it's warm.

Doesn't end up pin straight, but there's no sign of any waves anymore.

You could also look up hair wrapping. I hear it's effective, though I've never tried it.

MoonRabbit
June 20th, 2018, 09:53 PM
I tried it and used conditioner to wash, it caused more hair to fall during washing. Then I applied my roommate's curl cream, it made my hair oily.

Finding a routine that works for you is going to take some time and experimentation. What works for one person may not work for someone else even if they have the same texture hair. I also didn't like co washing, it caused my scalp to flare up and shed. Some people can't handle oils or conditioners on their scalp. As for the curl cream it may have just been too heavy for you. There are plenty of forums around here that are dedicated to wavy folks, with tons of info for caring. As for myself, my hair likes it simple. I deep condition before every wash day which is once a week, then follow with a sulfate shampoo, and cone conditioner. Then I plop for an hour and let it air dry. If I want really uniform waves I will put my hair in double dutch braids after plopping and let them dry overnight.

It will take some time to see results, but if you are having frizz issues I would definitely try a deep treatment.

Anewtake
June 20th, 2018, 10:03 PM
I use cones. Separate my hair with my fingers, then finger comb every so often till dry. Which is enough to pull the waves out these days. Usually under a very under powered, wall mounted fan heater. Ceiling fan works the same why when it's warm.

Doesn't end up pin straight, but there's no sign of any waves anymore.

You could also look up hair wrapping. I hear it's effective, though I've never tried it.

Ok I will try. Which product do you use?

Anewtake
June 20th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Finding a routine that works for you is going to take some time and experimentation. What works for one person may not work for someone else even if they have the same texture hair. I also didn't like co washing, it caused my scalp to flare up and shed. Some people can't handle oils or conditioners on their scalp. As for the curl cream it may have just been too heavy for you. There are plenty of forums around here that are dedicated to wavy folks, with tons of info for caring. As for myself, my hair likes it simple. I deep condition before every wash day which is once a week, then follow with a sulfate shampoo, and cone conditioner. Then I plop for an hour and let it air dry. If I want really uniform waves I will put my hair in double dutch braids after plopping and let them dry overnight.

It will take some time to see results, but if you are having frizz issues I would definitely try a deep treatment.
Thanks, but when I comb them they frizz up. If I dont comb them they all stick, and I look like my hair has 3-4 clumps like ropes

MidnightMoon
June 21st, 2018, 02:43 AM
You can blow dry it (no need to dry it completely, just comb it wet and take most of the water out), and put it up in a bun, at least the first day or two. That works for my hair. If I wash and leave it down it gets much more wavy. Also, it's wavier after every wash, and straightens as the days go by, so you could try washing less often.
Blow drying isn't even that necessary, but it's quicker. Just putting it in a tight bun for a whole day works for me.

ravenskey
June 21st, 2018, 04:39 AM
I found that putting some almond oil on my hair really defines the waves but if you want straight hair you could check out Glitch's no heat method - I don't know when/where she last posted but if you wait until you have 25 posts you should be able to find her profile and she has it in her signature.

lapushka
June 21st, 2018, 05:41 AM
Have you ever heard of the "curly girl" method? It is a book by Lorraine Massey that teaches you how to cope with this "new" hair that you suddenly appear to have. Changes sometimes are hormonal and you are just 20, so definite possibility.

Would *totally* recommend the book.

You can find some info on the method online, but nothing compares to the insights you'll get from the book. Totally recommend it.

Peppergirl
June 21st, 2018, 06:17 AM
We didn't know my daughter's hair was curly until she was a teen and started taking care of her own hair. I thought it was just frizzy, she has ringlets. Wish I did!

nycelle
June 21st, 2018, 06:21 AM
I understand how you feel about wanting it straighter. I'm a wavy 2a/2b for about 4-5 hours after it dries. Then my hair starts to get straighter and straighter, and by the following day I'm more of a 1c. The CG method requires a bit of work when you have much looser waves, at least I think so, plus day 2 refreshing. I can't see anyone who doesn't want wavy hair doing it.

So here's the method that Glitch uses, It seems to work beautifully for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXgXNfW1XBM

Good luck.

cathair
June 21st, 2018, 06:40 AM
Ok I will try. Which product do you use?

Up until very recently (experimenting again at the moment), Ultimate Blends Honey Treasures shampoo and conditioner. Not the deep treatment though, that's not good.

If you need more cones, you can use a leave in with them in on wet hair. I liked the Aussie spray one.

I i throw a towel over my head when I get out of the shower and squeeze most of the water out before before I start combing it. No rubbing hair or moving the towel, that will make it frizz. Then go to the leave in if you need it then finger comb.

When it's very nearly dry sometimes I use a fine tooth comb in the roots only, that makes it even smoother (and flatter). But most of the time I don't bother as I'll be wearing it up anyway.

JeniBear
June 21st, 2018, 07:39 AM
I have 1C/2A hair and I found that when I washed my hair with heavy silicones, or a shampoo and conditioner with lots of coconut oil in it (Calia Naturals) it weighed my hair down just enough to pull the tight waves down, but my hair didn’t look greasy or waxy. I also brush my hair with a wide tooth comb when it’s wet...very gently.

This Hair type can be very frustrating. Just keep experimenting and hopefully you can learn some tips and tricks from long hair community.

Anewtake
June 21st, 2018, 10:01 PM
You can blow dry it (no need to dry it completely, just comb it wet and take most of the water out), and put it up in a bun, at least the first day or two. That works for my hair. If I wash and leave it down it gets much more wavy. Also, it's wavier after every wash, and straightens as the days go by, so you could try washing less often.
Blow drying isn't even that necessary, but it's quicker. Just putting it in a tight bun for a whole day works for me.

With a bun my ends become curly. How to avoid that

Anewtake
June 21st, 2018, 10:01 PM
I found that putting some almond oil on my hair really defines the waves but if you want straight hair you could check out Glitch's no heat method - I don't know when/where she last posted but if you wait until you have 25 posts you should be able to find her profile and she has it in her signature.

OK i will wait till 25 post, thx

Anewtake
June 21st, 2018, 10:02 PM
Have you ever heard of the "curly girl" method? It is a book by Lorraine Massey that teaches you how to cope with this "new" hair that you suddenly appear to have. Changes sometimes are hormonal and you are just 20, so definite possibility.

Would *totally* recommend the book.

You can find some info on the method online, but nothing compares to the insights you'll get from the book. Totally recommend it.

Yes my roommate told me. But I want my hair straighter and not curly

Anewtake
June 21st, 2018, 10:03 PM
I understand how you feel about wanting it straighter. I'm a wavy 2a/2b for about 4-5 hours after it dries. Then my hair starts to get straighter and straighter, and by the following day I'm more of a 1c. The CG method requires a bit of work when you have much looser waves, at least I think so, plus day 2 refreshing. I can't see anyone who doesn't want wavy hair doing it.

So here's the method that Glitch uses, It seems to work beautifully for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXgXNfW1XBM

Good luck.

OK i will try this. thx for sharing this link wit me

Anewtake
June 21st, 2018, 10:04 PM
Up until very recently (experimenting again at the moment), Ultimate Blends Honey Treasures shampoo and conditioner. Not the deep treatment though, that's not good.

If you need more cones, you can use a leave in with them in on wet hair. I liked the Aussie spray one.

I i throw a towel over my head when I get out of the shower and squeeze most of the water out before before I start combing it. No rubbing hair or moving the towel, that will make it frizz. Then go to the leave in if you need it then finger comb.

When it's very nearly dry sometimes I use a fine tooth comb in the roots only, that makes it even smoother (and flatter). But most of the time I don't bother as I'll be wearing it up anyway.

I will try this, thx

Anewtake
June 21st, 2018, 10:04 PM
I have 1C/2A hair and I found that when I washed my hair with heavy silicones, or a shampoo and conditioner with lots of coconut oil in it (Calia Naturals) it weighed my hair down just enough to pull the tight waves down, but my hair didn’t look greasy or waxy. I also brush my hair with a wide tooth comb when it’s wet...very gently.

This Hair type can be very frustrating. Just keep experimenting and hopefully you can learn some tips and tricks from long hair community.

Yes. Before my hair was straight, now its wavy. It looks different daily so how can i prepare it to look similar everyday

victorian girl
June 22nd, 2018, 04:57 AM
Sometimes people's hair type can change even in their 20's. It happened to my friend - he had straight hair all his life and one day he came home on vacations... very wavy, almost curly! His mom and sister have wavy/curly hair too. Maybe someone in your family has wavy hair, then it might be just natural. Otherwise, some lifestyle or health changes might be the reason. And the fact that you tried one product and it didn't work doesn't mean that your new hair is unmanageable and "wrong" in any way!

lapushka
June 22nd, 2018, 05:36 AM
Yes my roommate told me. But I want my hair straighter and not curly

Then just try brushing your hair out after it comes out the towel (after washing), and brush it a few more times while it is drying, otherwise you can always blowdry it until 80% dry and then paddle or roundbrush it straight. It is what I used to do as a teen, when I wasn't crimping it.

lovelymoon
June 26th, 2018, 12:48 AM
This happened to me too, a few years ago. I used to be 1a, now I'm 1c. I was like 19 and suddenly my hair was drying wavy all the time. I brush it when wet now, otherwise it'll dry in waves. When my hair was shorter, sleeping on it to straighten it worked too. I can't do that anymore, so I do 2 very loose rope braids at night or mid air-drying if it starts getting too fluffy. I think for me it was just genetic because my mom had wavy hair until her twenties when it became very curly.