PDA

View Full Version : Clip Extensions, Need Some Ideas

carlablack
November 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM
(I don't know if this fits into this or accessories forum, i couldn't decide)

Hello everyone!

First, let me introduce myself: My name's Carla, and i've had hennaed virgin hair (brown&wavy) down to my waist for quite a long time (over a year).

It's always been frizzy...since the time i entered adolescence. I never dyed, permed, straightened etc. but it was ALWAYS frizzy. but i didnt care back then.

now i DO care :)

I go to college very early in the mornings (before salons are open) and I always want beautiful hair. Looking through forums like this, and seeing how beautiful everyones long hair looks, i hennaed my hair and let it grow.

BUT, i figured out that not all long and natural hairs looked beautiful :( and i was an example for that.

Now, i will cut my mane and go for some nice looking clip-ins (not permanent, because longhair takes time to dry & comb etc. and i need time)

Anyone tried clip-in sets (8 pieces)? What do you think about syntethic ones?

Thanks in advance :)

sedonia
November 1st, 2008, 02:56 PM
I use clip-in human hair extensions for theatrical stage purposes. I can't imagine wearing them in everyday life, but that's just me.

What kind of regimens have you used to take care of your curly hair? Perhaps you can get some alternatives to try from the curly haired people here.

sedonia
November 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM
Oh, and here is another thing. If your hair is unusually textured (I'm not going to use the f word), you will likely have problems finding extensions that have the same texture. Cutting your hair isn't going to change the texture.

carlablack
November 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM
thanks for the reply!

i will cut my hair to be able to handle it :) i have required equipment to blowdry my hair to a nice wavy or curly style, and i'm thinking about getting wavy-curly clip-ins too.

About hair care, this "unusual texture" (which i'd rather call "untidy" ^^; ) is something to do with adolescence i'm sure. because it happened all of a sudden and no matter what i did (WO washing, air drying, olive oil treatment, henna treatment etc.) i just cannot seem to handle it.

freznow
November 1st, 2008, 03:17 PM
How long do you want your hair?

I see you have M/C hair, and that you like how it is when blowdried - it is likely that if you go for a relatively short length (BSL or shorter, I'd think) your hair will have no significant problem with blowdrying.

If you're going for waist or longer (extensions get a little scarce/expensive, too, at that length), I'd look into a few other options first. Have you tried SMTs? Aloe gel? Different oils? Misting? Maybe using large rollers to make it sleeker.

Dolly
November 1st, 2008, 03:17 PM
I would definitely think long and hard before cutting.....if you read some of the forum here, I'm sure you can get some tips and ideas on ways to minimize the unruly nature of your hair.....you'd be surprised at some of the transformations that have been made by the members here.

Aisha25
November 1st, 2008, 03:19 PM
Have you tried CO washing or acv rinse or honey treatmen with conditioner?? I hope something will work for you.

Isblå
November 1st, 2008, 03:28 PM
I am sorry if I am suggesting something that you have already tried, but have you tried to braid your hair when you go to bed? I know that when I had longer hair (a long time ago) I could get frizz free waves in the morning with a nice even wave. If you do a french or dutch braid you will get a less abrupt start to the wave pattern. Do you have any pictures of the current state of your hair? I am sure that would be helpful as your problems will surely be recognized by someone who have had the same problem and maybe found a soloution.

carlablack
November 1st, 2008, 03:32 PM
thanks everyone!

I'm not sure about classification of my hair really :P it's not straight and not afro, thats all i know :)

In fact, i love having long hair. What i don't like is "living" with long hair (if that makes sense) because i'm too occupied with all the college-work. It takes extra time to wash, dry, make an updo, brush, condition etc.

As for the 2 weeks rule, i've been considering this haircut for like 2 months or something :P

I know, this place is for longhaired people or ones who want to grow long hair, but i think some of you might have experimented with extensions before joining this forum ;)

carlablack
November 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM
braid makes good waves at the top, but as the diameter of braid decreases, waves turn to small toast-like shapes (which look far from beautiful on me)

of course i can post some pictures, but now my hair is blow-dried to straight, so it wouldn't help ;)

Isilme
November 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM
If you blowdry your hair all the time and don't care for it like curly hair sometime needs it's not surprising that it's frizzy. Step away from the blowdryer for a while and make sure your hair gets moisture (you can add a bit of your favourite conditioner to a spray bottle and fill up with water, shake and mist) and buy some nice hairsticks (pretty looking smooth shorter chopsticks are good beginner hairsticks) and then just forget about it for a while and I'm sure your hair will be much happier. From what I have read, curly hair shouldn't be brushed as that breaks the curl pattern, only a wide toothed comb or finger combing. Try these things and then reevaluate after a month or two and I'm sure your hair will be much nicer looking. Good luck!:)

manderly
November 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
Well I would recommend putting your drastic plans on hold until you spend a bit of time here at LHC and trying out some of the techniques, tips, and products that we adore.

I think you can get your hair to be something you love. I've fought my hair my whole life and always had frizzy not-curly-not-straight hair. My nickname used to be "Bush". Now I have the hair that I love (it mimics old extensions I once owned!).

DO NOT CUT YET. Give LHC a chance to save what you've got.

may1em
November 1st, 2008, 04:07 PM
Try washing at night and putting it in a damp bun on the top of your head before you go to sleep. It might not be completely dry in the morning but it will be dryer and the waves should be well-defined and not crazy.

With wavy and curly hair, handling is everything. It almost doesn't matter what wash method you use (as long as it gets the moisture it needs), what matters is how you handle it. Brushing will make our hair poof out, so combing is preferable. Normal towels and heat are also harmful, so I dry mine with a microfiber towel that I got in the auto section of Target or an old T-shirt. If I need to blowdry, I use a diffuser on low heat, just until enough moisture is gone that it will dry on its own relatively quickly. Another important thing: do not touch it at all until it dries!

Also, how often do you wash your hair? Trying to stretch washings and wearing it up (updos don't have to take a lot of time - I can get mine in a bun with sticks in under a minute) will save you time in the morning.

Addy
November 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
If you don't have time to mess with your hair now, you certainly won't have time for the clip ins. They are high maintenance putting them in every day, believe me, I've been there done that and ruined the t-shirt dying them to get an exact match, not to mention sewing the clips on myself to save money.

If you are going to go through with this, I caution you against cutting your hair short. Clip ins and/or any other type of extension works best with longer hair. The shorter your hair, the more layering will be needed to blend the extension in with your natural hair.

I won't leave until I warn you that clip ins will damage your hair and break it off at the scalp just like they did to mine. They are NOT damage free! They are certainly cute and fun but they are also a PITA to deal with not to mention the quality of hair you may be using, could get yucky in one wash flat.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I can't see this being a great idea if you already don't have time but I certainly wish you well!~ :)

StephanieB
November 1st, 2008, 04:48 PM
I, too, wonder how you will find the time for the clip-ins, Carla, if you don't have enough time to bun or braid your hair... what about a banded ponytail (a/k/a "caterpillar")??

Even if your hair is... let's say 50 inches long and exceedingly thick -- doing the banded pony tail should only take you 10 minutes, even if you add a ponytail band every inch! NOBODY's hair can frizz out of a tail banded every inch... And if it's so thick & long that it's difficult to make one ponytail - make two and band it every inch. If you don't care for the traditional pigtail look - then make 'em right up next to each other, at the back of your head... and they can hang straight down so close to each other than they appear to be one tail at first glance.

30isthenewblack
November 2nd, 2008, 12:41 AM
I think you should definitely try a few suggestions at the LHC before cutting your waist long hair. It would be great if you could take a picture in your natural state. It's very easy for curly hair to become fuzzy. When I wash my hair, I only use my fingers to separate the curls. I never comb and definitely do not brush my hair. A lot of girls with curly or wavy hair don't use cones in their hair and use conditioner only. I also put jojoba oil on damp hair of a night time. These small changes have made big differences in my hair. Have a look at this link for some tips - http://www.biracialhair.org/TheRules.aspx or see if you can beg, borrow or steal a copy of the Curly Girl book which is like the bible for curly hair.

Stevy
November 2nd, 2008, 04:27 AM
Hi Carla!

Sorry to be discouraging, but I don't think you're going to find that clip-in extensions are less work than your own hair. I had a friend who used them, and the clips showed and looked ugly unless she spent ages styling. Also, the hair started to look kind of ratty and mangled after a couple of weeks, though that could have been because she went clubbing a lot and didn't take good care of it.

suicides_eve
November 2nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
if its that bad why not consider getting it cut to maybe BSL with long layers? i found that helped my hair when it was that long.

rather then opt for clips in if your very serious about. get real extensions put in with a good quality hair. it can run around 600 for an install but i have seen amazing transformations .

i did clip ins for a while, very high maintenance. now i only wear them if i'm going out some where wear it helps to look my best.
i personally wouldn't recomend them. it sounds nice in theory but in the long run its just a hassle

sneakybea
November 2nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
Have you ever visited naturallycurly.com? I've heard great things about that site, and they might have some tips for minimizing both your frizz and the time it takes you to get ready in the morning, whether you decide to cut or no.