PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite, or Most Disliked Products (2018) and Why?

nycelle
June 18th, 2018, 09:09 AM
So we have a most liked but have you guys tried something that just left your hair a mess? I have.

Thinking we can post what hair products just didn't work for us.

So I'm a product Junkie and have tried a crap load of drugstore and high end brands.
I can honestly say there has only been one (until now) over the years that I really disliked (Garnier products don't work for me.)

And here's another to add to my list:

INOAR Divine Curls shampoo and conditioner (sulfate, silicone and cruelty free.)

My cousin told me about this brand last year. Then recently, I saw a video on Youtube of CurlyPenny using it and loving it so ordered it.

I can't stand this line.
The shampoo, and conditioner (along with the leave-in I always use) left my 2a/2b, medium with some coarse hair, stringy, flat and greasy. It was a horror show.
Yes, the shampoo is very moisturizing, and on 2c or curly hair, the products may work beautifully.
But looser waves need to be very careful with this line, especially if you have fine hair.

This was a huge :no: for me.

So what are your dislikes?

lapushka
June 18th, 2018, 09:15 AM
The Novex line is "hyped up" (aka sponsored) on YT too.

That is why I never use products anyone on YT recommends. I'd rather trust people here. It is how I came about the curl enhancing smoothie and JBCO leave-in by SM, the Cantu leave-in, the Eden Bodyworks leave-in, etc.

I can't say there was a product I disliked and that didn't work for me. I can make pretty much anything work, with a little effort.

So no, no real fails for me. Yes, CO-washes and sulfate-free washes in particular, but that's just in general. No particular brands.

nycelle
June 18th, 2018, 09:36 AM
The Novex line is "hyped up" (aka sponsored) on YT too.

That is why I never use products anyone on YT recommends. I'd rather trust people here. It is how I came about the curl enhancing smoothie and JBCO leave-in by SM, the Cantu leave-in, the Eden Bodyworks leave-in, etc.

I can't say there was a product I disliked and that didn't work for me. I can make pretty much anything work, with a little effort.

So no, no real fails for me. Yes, CO-washes and sulfate-free washes in particular, but that's just in general. No particular brands.

If my cousin didn't recommend it first, I doubt I would of tried it solely off a youtube recommendation, as I never have with anything before. But she loves this line, and when I saw the video, I thought why not. My mistake as my hair is nothing like either
of theirs. My cousins hair is extremely coarse and straight though, and this works for her.. go figure.

Milkchocolate
June 18th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Coconut oil. Particularly virgin coconut oil. I don’t understand how it has such a cult following with hair care! I’ve tried it so many times as a deep conditioner. Even in small amounts, but nope! It made my hair fall out like crazy. I had never seen so much hair shed in my life. I would run my fingers through my hair and long strands would come out like string cheese. I’m not prone to hair shed either, so that scared me like no other. I’ve grown to truly dislike coconut oil and I will never touch it again >:(

Agabeth
June 18th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Aussie's 3 minute miracle Strong. I absolutely Love the 3 minute miracle moist and used it for more than a year with great success. One day, I was trying to get a refill, but could only find the strong. My hair HATED it. Apparently, I don't need any more protein in my hair ;)

ravenskey
June 18th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Insight Hydrating Anti-Frizz Conditioner.

This stuff turned my already frizzy hair into a dry, crunchy, and easily broken mess. Even with twice daily oilings it didn't truly recover until a week later when I washed with my normal conditioner.

Katia_k
June 18th, 2018, 01:55 PM
I have super picky hair...I've had a lot of product failures.

-Coconut oil, unless used very lightly on the very ends.
-Shea Moisture products: hair hates Shea, or at least has since I started doing henna.
-Tresseme Perfectly Undone and Botanique: Botanique has too much coconut oil, and PU left me looking like a drowned swimmer.
There were a couple of other ones that bombed for me, but mostly because everything has coconut, or shea, or jojoba, none of which work. Luckily, "not working" for me usually means just leaving me frizzy and undefined, not destroying my hair.

Arciela
June 18th, 2018, 01:58 PM
The product my hair dislikes the most is Hello Hydration Conditioner >.> I know here a lot love it and have nice results but for me it just makes my hair like velcro and filled with tangles :(

toastmouse
June 18th, 2018, 02:58 PM
My hair hates shampoo bars and all the Bentley Organic and Jason products I've tried and complains bitterly if I go near it with any kind of oil. Though the coconut oil in my current conditioner seems to be fine.. :confused:

melikai
June 18th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Only thing that comes to mind right now is a product from the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus line that came in a tub. I think it was the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. It was much too heavy for my hair, and the smell was atrocious. :puke: So cloying! And that was after hearing so many raves about the scent of their products.

lapushka
June 18th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Oh yeah, coconut oil is not for me. That is about the only oil I have to stay away from. Not even fractionated (always liquid) coconut oil gives me smooth hair (always brittle & crispy crunchy). Oddly enough though, the one coconut oil I could deal with was the Dabur Vatika one. That one I could get along with... for some reason. I emptied one bottle of that one!

nycelle, too bad that didn't work out for you - at least you know now.

Shorty89
June 18th, 2018, 04:07 PM
I don't know if it's hyped on LHC, but I used to use Garnier Fructis's Long and Strong line. It made me shed like crazy! I don't know why.

lithostoic
June 18th, 2018, 04:07 PM
I'm not a product junkie but the Shea Moisture fruit fusion weightless shampoo took a huge L. I normally love their products. Here's the website's description:

"This is a sulfate-free shampoo that gently cleanses and hydrates hair weightlessly. It helps to block humidity to help control frizz and makes the hair shiny, healthy, smooth, and silky."

Everything in bold was not my experience. My hair had never felt so dry, rough, and tangly. I had to deep condition the next day. My boyfriend who has coarse, thick, oily hair now uses this shampoo ONCE a week followed by a hydrating conditioner (the marshmallow one).

joiekimochi
June 18th, 2018, 11:48 PM
Christophe Robin Hydrating Shampoo Bar. Made my scalp tight and flakey and my hair stiff and sticky. I really love Christophe Robin products (the Baby Blonde mask did wonders when I had platinum blonde bleached hair) but this one sucked.

Ouai Rose Hair & Body Oil. Didn't do much on my hair, so I'm using it as an after-shower body oil to apply on wet skin, as it's too oily applied to dried-off skin.

Ouai Volume Spray. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. It's nice and light but leaves the hair on my roots feeling weird and rough. Not much discernible volume but I might be using it wrong.

Stray_mind
June 18th, 2018, 11:59 PM
The entire live clean line.. Their shampoo and conditioner left me with itchy scalp and i still haven't fully gotten rid of it. It's been 6 months

NikitaJane
June 19th, 2018, 01:23 AM
Honestly, I can't stand coconut oil (and I really wish I liked it because it smells really good!) It makes my hair suuuuuper crunchy and dry even if I only use a little, I prefer to use EVOO if I need a bit of extra moisture on my ends.

Lady Stardust
June 19th, 2018, 04:12 AM
I tried the Body Shop Rainforest deep conditioner, it was awful. The smell was so overpowering it drove me to distraction and gave me a headache. It didn’t seem to do anything for my hair. It also contained sulphates - the Rainforest shampoo and conditioner don’t contain sulphates, silicones etc so I didn’t notice the sulphates until after I’d used it. I didn’t expect to see sulphates in conditioner.

lapushka
June 19th, 2018, 05:13 AM
The entire live clean line.. Their shampoo and conditioner left me with itchy scalp and i still haven't fully gotten rid of it. It's been 6 months

That usually means there's more going on. I would have it checked out; that can no longer be just from a "bad" shampoo. IMMHO. I am an SD sufferer, I know when there's an itch I have a bout of it, and it has nothing to do with whatever product I have used. But that's me, that does not have to be you, which is why I recommend just having a doctor take a look at it. :flower:

That itch must be awful! :(

nycelle
June 19th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Christophe Robin Hydrating Shampoo Bar. Made my scalp tight and flakey and my hair stiff and sticky. I really love Christophe Robin products (the Baby Blonde mask did wonders when I had platinum blonde bleached hair) but this one sucked.

Ouai Rose Hair & Body Oil. Didn't do much on my hair, so I'm using it as an after-shower body oil to apply on wet skin, as it's too oily applied to dried-off skin.

Ouai Volume Spray. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. It's nice and light but leaves the hair on my roots feeling weird and rough. Not much discernible volume but I might be using it wrong.

I want to try Christophe Robin's Regenerating Mask with Rare Prickly Pear Seed Oil. Only thing holding me back is the price. $71 for a mask is more than I'm willing to pay.

It's so funny you mention Ouai, they make my HG hair oil. The stuff is amazing. Keeps my hair smooth and frizz free for hours, and can be used multiple times a day without my hair getting greasy. The best hair serum I've ever used. Have never tried the products you've mentioned though.

nycelle
June 19th, 2018, 06:44 AM
I don't know if it's hyped on LHC, but I used to use Garnier Fructis's Long and Strong line. It made me shed like crazy! I don't know why.

For whatever reason, any Garnier product I've tried over the years, never agreed with my hair or scalp. I don't think I've used them in a couple of years now.

Shorty89
June 19th, 2018, 09:34 PM
For whatever reason, any Garnier product I've tried over the years, never agreed with my hair or scalp. I don't think I've used them in a couple of years now.

At least it's not just me.

embee
June 20th, 2018, 04:42 AM
The worst thing I tried on my hair was baking soda. Took quite a while to get over the "straw hair" feel. Never again.

renia22
June 20th, 2018, 08:41 AM
I absolutely *hated* what I tried in the new Herbal Essences Bio Renew line. Surprising, because that has always been a favorite brand of mine (the Retro Smooth / Shine collections, Drama Clean, Body Envy, etc are some of my favorites). The smell of the new products reminds me of how Bath & Body works “layers” scents now, and most of them have some kind of harsh layered smell. One of them make me shed like crazy (the green tea one), the conditioners are thick-ish and weigh my hair down, without really even detangling or conditioning very well. More expensive than their other lines too. Huge fail for me :(

Aunt Rapunzel
June 20th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Joico K-Pak clarifying shampoo. I used it just once, and my hair didn't like it at ALL.

TreesOfEternity
June 20th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Definitely the Naturaleza y Vida (Natur Vital) leave in sprays. When I started growing they were helpful but now my hair is healthier they make it dryer.
Have a coney leave in spray that was giving me trouble but found out if I damp my hair a little bit before applying it between washes it helps with moisture.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 21st, 2018, 10:29 PM
Most if not all the hask products. It has to be the silicones? I think.
My hair is mostly indifferent to everything though, nothing really ever wows me.
Except maybe one or two Devacurl products and a few SM items.

BlueKittyMeow
June 22nd, 2018, 11:04 PM
All of the Devacurl products!
I tried the One Condition conditioner, the no-poo shampoo, and two different leave in/styling products. My hair had never been so lank and awful. My wife uses both the leave ins with no problem though.

I thought it must be silicones because it was a similar state to when I used those but I just read the label for at least the conditioner and it’s silicone free so it is a mystery awooOOOooo :)

Bookprincess
June 22nd, 2018, 11:38 PM
The Devacurl no-poo shampoo, conditioner, and gel. I don't know which one of these was the main culprit since I used them all at the same time, but they didn't do well for me at all.

I brought them along with me on a vacation and they were the only products I had to use. At first, my hair looked awesome- shiny, moisturised curls. After a few uses, however, my hair become disgusting! It was an unusual combination of limp, gummy, frizzy, and flat. It stayed that way until I used a protein treatment and clarifying shampoo. Ew.

I still don't know what caused it!

Andthetalltrees
June 23rd, 2018, 12:11 AM
Renpure tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner, Made my hair feel unclean, very waxy and dry. Left my scalp itchy for days to where I had to get medicated shampoo again to fix it(I have SD). I've been really good about sticking to things i know work, But sometimes you end up experimenting and paying for it :shrug:

cathair
June 23rd, 2018, 12:24 AM
I absolutely *hated* what I tried in the new Herbal Essences Bio Renew line. Surprising, because that has always been a favorite brand of mine (the Retro Smooth / Shine collections, Drama Clean, Body Envy, etc are some of my favorites). The smell of the new products reminds me of how Bath & Body works “layers” scents now, and most of them have some kind of harsh layered smell. One of them make me shed like crazy (the green tea one), the conditioners are thick-ish and weigh my hair down, without really even detangling or conditioning very well. More expensive than their other lines too. Huge fail for me :(

Welp. Just bought this to try. I'm going through a phase of my hair hates almost everything.

Apart from a 60 second cone heavy protein treatment by Tresemme. Which I have a sneaking suspicion is discontinued.

Stray_mind
June 23rd, 2018, 12:39 AM
That usually means there's more going on. I would have it checked out; that can no longer be just from a "bad" shampoo. IMMHO. I am an SD sufferer, I know when there's an itch I have a bout of it, and it has nothing to do with whatever product I have used. But that's me, that does not have to be you, which is why I recommend just having a doctor take a look at it. :flower:

That itch must be awful! :(

It really started with those products. I switched to indola line and the itching is now gone. It significantly lessened after the first wash already. There's still some minor flaking going on, but in general my scalp feels completely fine (until it gets really oily of course). I never got random bouts of itching like that.
My long haired friend said she also Hates live clean, as her scalp also got super itchy after a wash and her hair felt really awful..

My stylist also said my scalp doesn't look irritated or flaky at all, it looks completely fine...She was surprised when i said i was itchy. She used a serum with menthol on the itchy spots and the itching stopped very soon.

Sometimes the "100% natural" hair products just don't do.......

BlueKittyMeow
June 23rd, 2018, 12:50 AM
The Devacurl no-poo shampoo, conditioner, and gel. I don't know which one of these was the main culprit since I used them all at the same time, but they didn't do well for me at all.

I brought them along with me on a vacation and they were the only products I had to use. At first, my hair looked awesome- shiny, moisturised curls. After a few uses, however, my hair become disgusting! It was an unusual combination of limp, gummy, frizzy, and flat. It stayed that way until I used a protein treatment and clarifying shampoo. Ew.

I still don't know what caused it!

Yes!! That’s what happened to mine. (Although protein wasn’t a part of it, I’m super protein sensitive and doing protein treatments makes my hair crunchy). I feel like maybe it was building up and the shampoo was not cleansing enough to keep that from happening perhaps?

Estrid
June 23rd, 2018, 01:46 AM
The Paul Mitchell original leave in conditioner. I really wanted it to work out, but it was a huge disappointment.
I know my hair doesn't respond to conditioners in general (as in: I can't notice a difference), but at least they sometimes makes my hair a bit more smooth and/or soft. That leave in conditioner did absolutely nothing more than make my length feel odd to the touch, and I tried using everything from a very little to a more generous amount, didn't change anything. People are giving it such great reviews online that I thought that maybe it could do some good, but no.

Thankfully it can be used as a lotion, so that's what it is for me now.

Another fail I suppose was the wet brush, I know that my hair looks much worse if I brush it, but I guess I thought it would be fine to brush it when it was soaking wet. I tried it out several times in different states of wet hair, very wet, soaked in conditioner, almost dry, damp... It doesn't work for me, my hair just looks worse.

Bookprincess
June 23rd, 2018, 02:11 AM
Yes!! That’s what happened to mine. (Although protein wasn’t a part of it, I’m super protein sensitive and doing protein treatments makes my hair crunchy). I feel like maybe it was building up and the shampoo was not cleansing enough to keep that from happening perhaps?

You're probably right! I spent so much time trying to massage my scalp with that "no-poo" but it really didn't feel like it was cleaning anything. I read up about the products a bit later on and read that the polyquats in the conditioner are known to cause build-up for some people. Ew! At the time though, I thought it was due to over-hydrating my hair so I did a protein treatment (which was fine because I was long overdue for one anyway :D).

AutobotsAttack
June 23rd, 2018, 05:24 AM

You're probably right! I spent so much time trying to massage my scalp with that "no-poo" but it really didn't feel like it was cleaning anything. I read up about the products a bit later on and read that the polyquats in the conditioner are known to cause build-up for some people. Ew! At the time though, I thought it was due to over-hydrating my hair so I did a protein treatment (which was fine because I was long overdue for one anyway :D).

It depends on what line you get.

The color of the caps on the bottles indicates which products would be best suited for your hair type. If you used the bottles with the green or turquoise caps, it more than likely is too heavy, and the shampoo isn’t cleansing enough because it’s technically meant for folks with my hair texture. (E.g, Kinky/coily). They formulate the products according to how the majority of their consumers style their hair. In the case of the green and blue lines, folks who use them typically do wash and go’s, flat twists, regular twists, freestyle braids, braidouts, or purposefully clump their coils for that springy look.

There’s a line in which the bottle cap color is yellow, it’s meant for slightly wavy to loose curls. The formulation is extremely light, which helps prevent the issues you guys stated above. To be honest, there’s not really a need to use their gel. Unless you’re after that heavily clumped wash n go style. The low poo delight is cleansing enough, and you really only need the One Condition labeled bottle for a slight rinse.

But if you ever do try them later, get the yellow cap bottle.

For protein treatments, legit ones to say the least, they’re supposed to make the hair crunchy. Protein treatments aren’t generally moisturizing. If they are, they’re protein/moisture balanced. But in general, They’re not supposed to be moisturizing like a conditioner. When doing a protein treatment, it’s usually advised to follow up with a moisturizing treatment. I’ve come to find out there’s really no one who’s protein sensitive, except maybe very young children who’s hair hasn’t been exposed to much of anything. What I and other people mistake for protein sensitivity, mainly has to do with how high of a concentration of certain proteins are in whatever product you use. And you typically won’t know until you’ve already put it on your hair. Usually if it’s causing issues, it’s too high of a concentration, and that number will vary according to the individual, or as mentioned above, people aren’t following up with a moisturizing treatment to balance the protein treatment.

Some people only need lighter concentrations of protein treatments, some need heavier concentrations, but it generally doesn’t equate to protein sensitivity.

renia22
June 23rd, 2018, 08:38 AM
Welp. Just bought this to try. I'm going through a phase of my hair hates almost everything.

Apart from a 60 second cone heavy protein treatment by Tresemme. Which I have a sneaking suspicion is discontinued.

Oh no! Hope you don’t have the same experience as I did!

cathair
June 23rd, 2018, 12:19 PM
Oh no! Hope you don’t have the same experience as I did!

Was this the one?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/883/42251604734_57ed2fe9c8_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27nCw4G)
Herbal Essences Bio Renew Passion Flower and Rice Milk (https://flic.kr/p/27nCw4G) by Cat Hair (https://www.flickr.com/photos/132137951@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/892/42970331641_4ea0d187b1_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28t9bwV)
Herbal Essences Bio Renew Passion Flower and Rice Milk (https://flic.kr/p/28t9bwV) by Cat Hair (https://www.flickr.com/photos/132137951@N03/), on Flickr

I'm not unhappy with the results, which is a bit of a relief :) Hair is soft, can run my fingers through to the ends easily. Not really surprised with dimethicone being so high up the ingredient list. I'd say it has a sheen to it, but not a ton of shine. I like the smell, but it's pretty strong. I can see why others wouldn't.

My previous wash was a clarifying and chelating one, follow by a protein treatment, not really a standard one. So I guess I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

TreesOfEternity
June 23rd, 2018, 03:31 PM
I disliked the Organic Shop Avocado & Honey Hair Mask. It smells like Play-Doh and did absolutly nothing for my hair, in any case it made it less manageable.

renia22
June 23rd, 2018, 09:00 PM
Was this the one?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/883/42251604734_57ed2fe9c8_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27nCw4G)
Herbal Essences Bio Renew Passion Flower and Rice Milk (https://flic.kr/p/27nCw4G) by Cat Hair (https://www.flickr.com/photos/132137951@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/892/42970331641_4ea0d187b1_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/28t9bwV)
Herbal Essences Bio Renew Passion Flower and Rice Milk (https://flic.kr/p/28t9bwV) by Cat Hair (https://www.flickr.com/photos/132137951@N03/), on Flickr

I'm not unhappy with the results, which is a bit of a relief :) Hair is soft, can run my fingers through to the ends easily. Not really surprised with dimethicone being so high up the ingredient list. I'd say it has a sheen to it, but not a ton of shine. I like the smell, but it's pretty strong. I can see why others wouldn't.

My previous wash was a clarifying and chelating one, follow by a protein treatment, not really a standard one. So I guess I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Oh good, glad you like them! I tried and didn’t like the rosemary, grapefruit and green tea ones (the rosemary and grapefruit shampoos were just okay, the green tea one made me shed, and none of the conditioners were good on my fine hair) :(.

Flipgirl24
June 24th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Coconut oil and Hask Charcoal clarifying shampoo. Coconut oil made my hair crunchy and nowhere near moisturized or in any way conditioned. The Hask shampoo did nothing. I took a chance on buying non-salon shampoo and it proved to me that you get what you oay for.

BlueKittyMeow
June 25th, 2018, 12:33 AM
It depends on what line you get.

The color of the caps on the bottles indicates which products would be best suited for your hair type.

Thank you for sharing all of that info! I had never heard that before and it makes so much sense. The caps on mine are light but I’m very sensitive to some kinda of buildup (with the right products though my hair just drinks up so so much oil and leave ins!)

Regarding protein it might be the fact that I’ve got henna on my length - I’ve read bits and pieces that imply that that can make hair “protein sensitive”. If that’s wrong please feel free to correct me, that’s just gleaned from here and there in comments on here!

Thanks for helping us solve the deva curl puzzle :)

Unofficial_Rose
June 25th, 2018, 12:54 AM
I tried the Body Shop Rainforest deep conditioner, it was awful. The smell was so overpowering it drove me to distraction and gave me a headache. It didn’t seem to do anything for my hair. It also contained sulphates - the Rainforest shampoo and conditioner don’t contain sulphates, silicones etc so I didn’t notice the sulphates until after I’d used it. I didn’t expect to see sulphates in conditioner.

Oh gosh, ditto that. I'm rarely allergic to stuff but my scalp itched like crazy. I also haaated the smell. Wish they'd bring back their Olive S & C, they were lovely.

RubberDucky
June 25th, 2018, 05:18 AM
Garnier Fructis Papaya Hair Food: smells delicious but left my hair poofy, sticky and incredibly dry.

Wendyp
June 25th, 2018, 06:14 AM
I feel like I don’t really hate any products, it’s really about my routine. I think I can use anything as long as shampoo is diluted and as long as it’s sulfate free.

Oh yeah update lapuska reminded me, shikakai dries out my hair. Brahmi and and alma work great though.

lapushka
June 25th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Clay masks and herbal washing didn't work for me. I tried Rhassoul/Ghassoul clay and Shikakai and Areetha, I believe. I got velcro hair; absolute nightmare. Baking soda: absolute nightmare and about the same results. ACV did nothing for me at all.

Lemon rinses did work, but not to the point that I continued with it.

ETA

And I believe henna has to get on this list too. It had the same effect on my hair that bleach did. So no longer an option for me; let's not even get into the mess it makes. ;)

JeniBear
June 25th, 2018, 07:53 AM
Pretty much everything from the Deva Curl line. I hate to admit that because I spent so much money on those products, but my hair just hated it! I used the Delight Line (for wavy hair) and it just made my hair so crunchy and frizzy. Live and learn I guess!

AutobotsAttack
June 25th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Thank you for sharing all of that info! I had never heard that before and it makes so much sense. The caps on mine are light but I’m very sensitive to some kinda of buildup (with the right products though my hair just drinks up so so much oil and leave ins!)

Regarding protein it might be the fact that I’ve got henna on my length - I’ve read bits and pieces that imply that that can make hair “protein sensitive”. If that’s wrong please feel free to correct me, that’s just gleaned from here and there in comments on here!

Thanks for helping us solve the deva curl puzzle :)

I only get specific on the whole protein sensitivity thing because there’s a lot of folks who may shy away from it, while not fully grasping that protein isn’t anything to shy away from. It’s a mix and match thing that you just learn over time.

So I often suggest pairing some type of moisture treatment with anything that’s protein based. Most women who use Deva Curl products on the regular deep condition every time it’s wash day for them. Not all, but the majority of them do.

They have regimens that follow this basic outline:

Pre poo
Shampoo
Condition
Protein treatment
Deep condition
Detangle again
Leave ins

That’s a lot of steps but they do that repeatedly on full fledged wash days. I’ve noticed quite a few ladies here do their deep treatments and protein treatments independent of one another, and it works for some, but more textured hair like mine, I’ve noticed does a lot better when both protein and moisture treatments are done together, back to back, and a bit more on the frequent side. That’s what I’ve noticed concerning issues surrounding protein sensitivity. It’s more or less finding an equal balance of both. Deep conditioning with heat also makes the world of difference. The majority of deep conditioners will indeed just sit on your hair if left on in temperature environment that’s close to room temperature. Using a heating cap or a steamed hooded dryer allows heat help the treatment take a bit better and not just sit on top of your hair. A lot of products that typically give me build up, won’t if I use heat and then rinse, and then allow my hair cuticles to close back up.

Concerning build up, that just comes down to formulation. And it’s perfectly understandable that the Deva Curl products don’t go well with your hair. They are okay for my hair, but they weigh them down too simply because my hair is fine textured.

Your hair probably isn’t as coiled as mine so it makes since that you’re after a more free flowy look, with not so heavy of products. A lot of the Deva Curl products have Glycerin, esters, and oil derivatives in them. Most are on the heavy side. So it’s understandable to not like them.

I was just chiming I’m because sometimes there’s certain lines of products that are meant for certain hair types and using the wrong one could be a bit frustrating if there’s a line suited for you that you haven’t tried yet.

And regarding Henna, as fickle as it can be with other products that more than likely a possible cause. I’ve used Cassia once before and it did not like any other manufactured product I tried. Whether it was a high end or low end product.

Winter Fox
June 25th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Conditioner: Tresemmé BOTANIQUE NOURISH AND REPLENISH

It did nothing to my hair to the point where I didn't even want to use it because I could have just done nothing to my hair at all.
It wasn't completely awful but the worst conditioner I had until now this year.

Shampoo: Udo Walz I am precious

It not only made my hair shedd super much it also was not cleaning my scalp at all.
My hair felt lump and awful after using it. As if I had tried to wash with a super oily/heavy conditioner. :(

Mask: Garnier Oil Repair 3

Just like the Tresemmé conditioner it did nothing to my hair. But furthermore I got puffy ends that felt like straw once my hair was dry.

lapushka
June 25th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Conditioner: Tresemmé BOTANIQUE NOURISH AND REPLENISH

It did nothing to my hair to the point where I didn't even want to use it because I could have just done nothing to my hair at all.
It wasn't completely awful but the worst conditioner I had until now this year.

Shampoo: Udo Walz I am precious

It not only made my hair shedd super much it also was not cleaning my scalp at all.
My hair felt lump and awful after using it. As if I had tried to wash with a super oily/heavy conditioner. :(

Mask: Garnier Oil Repair 3

Just like the Tresemmé conditioner it did nothing to my hair. But furthermore I got puffy ends that felt like straw once my hair was dry.

If you have a bad shampoo, the rest might not work as well either, so that might have been an issue too. :flower:

Winter Fox
June 25th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Totally true Lapushka! But I was also using the mask/conditioner with different shampoos and they showed the same (bad) results unfortunately.

BlueKittyMeow
June 25th, 2018, 10:37 PM
I only get specific on the whole protein sensitivity thing because there’s a lot of folks who may shy away from it, while not fully grasping that protein isn’t anything to shy away from. It’s a mix and match thing that you just learn over time.

So I often suggest pairing some type of moisture treatment with anything that’s protein based. Most women who use Deva Curl products on the regular deep condition every time it’s wash day for them. Not all, but the majority of them do.

They have regimens that follow this basic outline:

Pre poo
Shampoo
Condition
Protein treatment
Deep condition
Detangle again
Leave ins

... snipping quote for length

I wish we had a like button on here! Nothing to say in reply just wanted to say thanks :)

lapushka
June 26th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Totally true Lapushka! But I was also using the mask/conditioner with different shampoos and they showed the same (bad) results unfortunately.

Oh OK. I didn't think you knew this (it's not well-known), so I thought I'd mention it. :)

Mademoiselle
June 26th, 2018, 07:34 AM
My hair does not like PROTEIN treatments, I bought keratin blisters (tahe), it is progressive keratin, it is used after washing and it is left in the hair, drying with a hot air dryer (I did it with care).
I eliminated the frizz but my tips were stiff, hard and with strange shapes.
When washed and hydrated it returned to normal. It surprised me a lot since I have bleached hair (I wore dark brown a year ago and now dark blond with light blond flashes), I thought keratin was good for bleached hair.
The OILS make my hair look very heavy, even if I put a minimum amount. My hair was 1c but since I blew it is rather 2a, not very manageable, with frizz and very dry ... I dont know what to do with it, it only looks good using heat, if I let it dry in braids or ribbons so it has a Pretty shape just does not dry, it keeps all the moisture in it.

lemonlife
August 30th, 2018, 03:19 PM
ShiKai natural moisturizing shampoo (itchy, I might be allergic to something in it)
coconut oil (dries me out)

Carolyn
August 30th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Baking soda washes followed by ACV rinses were the worst thing. The BS dried my hair out and made it like straw. The ACV with a little oil just made it a mankey mess. Shampoo bars were a close second to the BS horror. As for commercial products the only thing I can think of the was truly horrible was a long hair line that had Jessica Simpson's name on it. I returned it. I am an admitted product junkie and don't have problems with anything other than any Pantene product. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pantene yet.

For you ladies who can't use coconut oil in your hair, put it in your coffee with some heavy whipping cream (HWC). Heavenly. It is absolutely delicious and has health benefits.

illicitlizard
August 30th, 2018, 10:00 PM
Baking soda washes followed by ACV rinses were the worst thing. The BS dried my hair out and made it like straw. The ACV with a little oil just made it a mankey mess. Shampoo bars were a close second to the BS horror. As for commercial products the only thing I can think of the was truly horrible was a long hair line that had Jessica Simpson's name on it. I returned it. I am an admitted product junkie and don't have problems with anything other than any Pantene product. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pantene yet.

For you ladies who can't use coconut oil in your hair, put it in your coffee with some heavy whipping cream (HWC). Heavenly. It is absolutely delicious and has health benefits.

Now I'm curious about coconut oil in coffee, doesn't sound half bad. I love coconut so much :)

I'm kinda surprised people use bicarb soda to wash their hair? The only time I used bicarb on my hair was to scrub out some really stubborn pink and purple fashion colours on the advice of my hairdresser. Who mentioned that using bicarb on your hair would make it really dry, which was definitely my experience...

nycelle
August 31st, 2018, 09:41 AM

I can't use Pantene. It's fine for short term use, but long term gives me dandruff. By long term I mean by the 3rd wash. No idea what's in their products that causes it, but I had the same reaction to WEN.

GoddessIvanna
August 31st, 2018, 04:17 PM
Coconut oil is the worst in my hair. Leaves my hair crunchy when i try using as a leave in (which my bff suggested because it works GREAT for her and her daughter)

If I apply a tiny bit on the ends it'll add some shine but doesn't help me much with frizz :blueeek::no:

Crna Kosa
August 31st, 2018, 04:28 PM
Coconut oil is the worst in my hair. Leaves my hair crunchy when i try using as a leave in (which my bff suggested because it works GREAT for her and her daughter)

If I apply a tiny bit on the ends it'll add some shine but doesn't help me much with frizz :blueeek::no:

I have also problems with leave ins. Seems like the only thing I can use for leave in is olive oil on my ends. I tried gliss winter repair leave in conditioner and got crunchy ends .I have also tried garnier fructis nourishing mask banana hair food as an leave in my hair got really tangled and dry( Note: I love to use this product as a conditioner and regular mask, but as a leave in never again (it actually says on the container that it can be used as a leave in, but it's not for me really.))

lapushka
August 31st, 2018, 04:43 PM
I recently had a bad run in with the "fix my hair" hair mask by Aunt Jackie's - it tangles up my hair badly.

Also, I had to toss the "curl la la" curl cream by Aunt Jackie's because it flaked in my hair, on its own! Not even with gel added.

Now I do have the Every Strand curl cream too, that absolutely doesn't pair well with other products but has an amazing hold on its own, so it's a good one and done on wash day, for styling.

Let's just say Aunt Jackie's is no longer on my favorites list. I do, however, have the "Quench!" leave-in by Aunt Jackie's too, but it won't pair well with gel either.

Natalia_A00
September 4th, 2018, 08:19 PM
I bought an onion shampoo from CuidaDos, and while the smell was great and I think my hair actually grew faster, I was shedding too much hair. I realized it was the shampoo because I got another one and I didn't shed as much at all. I don't think I'm going to buy it again, honestly.
It wasn't super exaggerated, but it was enough for me to notice.

Natalia_A00
September 4th, 2018, 08:23 PM
I have also problems with leave ins. Seems like the only thing I can use for leave in is olive oil on my ends. I tried gliss winter repair leave in conditioner and got crunchy ends .I have also tried garnier fructis nourishing mask banana hair food as an leave in my hair got really tangled and dry( Note: I love to use this product as a conditioner and regular mask, but as a leave in never again (it actually says on the container that it can be used as a leave in, but it's not for me really.))
I actually get a lot of build up with olive oil, but not with coconut oil, it's curious. Coconut oil was ok if I left it for 5-6 hours (more or less) and then wash it. But not as an overnight treatment.

renia22
September 24th, 2018, 11:26 AM
I hate what Pantene did to their products this year!! Changed the scent, got rid of Aqualight.. :(

Ylva
September 24th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Natura Siberica Frozen Berries Vitamin Shampoo
My favorite sulfate shampoo of all time comes from Natura Siberica, so I was looking forward to this one. Turns out, it was way too drying for me and left my hair feeling tangled and coarse.

Organic Shop Organic Avocado & Honey Express Repair Hair Mask
My hair got so frizzy as a result of using this. And I'm someone who doesn't particularly struggle with frizz to any bothersome degree in general. I used it as a second conditioner, and my hair came out worse than if I had used the first conditioner alone. I'm starting to think my hair just doesn't like glycerin all that much.

MoreSky
September 24th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Garnier Sleek and Shine conditioner - I CO with Suave coconut and once a week add a small squirt of the S&S shampoo, but the conditioner makes my hair feel dirty and gummy. I’ve experimented with vinegar rinses while using it, but my hair just isn’t happy using it.

Arciela
September 24th, 2018, 01:49 PM
I just noticed Unilever just bought the Shea Moisture line and kind of messed up my hair.

So recently I ran out of the raw moisture shea butter conditioner and bought a new bottle. As I kept using it I noticed my hair getting more and more dry..I was like okay what is going on? Then I checked the ingredients...they're totally different!!

New:
Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*♥, Glyceryl Caprylate, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Silk, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dicaprylyl Ether, Sodium lsostearoyl Lactylate, Sodium Benzoate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend)

Old: Deionized Water, Decyl Glucoside(Coconut Oil), African Butyrospermum Parkii (shea Butter)*, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Argan Oil, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Rosemary Extract, Sea Kelp Extract, Vitamin E, Guar Gum, Lonicera Capifloium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Avacado Oil *Certified Organic Ingredients.

They put PROTEIN IN IT! Ugggh that is my hairs worst nightmare and that's why my hair was getting Velcro/dry/crispy ends again....I have like 2 inches left of bleach so I thought it just needed to be cut and had my BF do another cut. I could have waited..it wasn't the bleached hair getting damaged, I just cut from TBL to APL. It was because the changed ingredients and the protein :( After I ditched it and went back to using my Klorane Mango and Butter conditioner my hair slowly went back to normal..ugh.

nycelle
September 24th, 2018, 01:54 PM
I just noticed Unilever just bought the Shea Moisture line and kind of messed up my hair.

So recently I ran out of the raw moisture shea butter conditioner and bought a new bottle. As I kept using it I noticed my hair getting more and more dry..I was like okay what is going on? Then I checked the ingredients...they're totally different!!

New:
Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*♥, Glyceryl Caprylate, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Macrocystis Pyrifera (Kelp) Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Silk, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Dicaprylyl Ether, Sodium lsostearoyl Lactylate, Sodium Benzoate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend)

Old: Deionized Water, Decyl Glucoside(Coconut Oil), African Butyrospermum Parkii (shea Butter)*, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Argan Oil, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5), Rosemary Extract, Sea Kelp Extract, Vitamin E, Guar Gum, Lonicera Capifloium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract, Avacado Oil *Certified Organic Ingredients.

They put PROTEIN IN IT! Ugggh that is my hairs worst nightmare and that's why my hair was getting Velcro/dry/crispy ends again....I have like 2 inches left of bleach so I thought it just needed to be cut and had my BF do another cut. I could have waited..it wasn't the bleached hair getting damaged, I just cut from TBL to APL. It was because the changed ingredients and the protein :( After I ditched it and went back to using my Klorane Mango and Butter conditioner my hair slowly went back to normal..ugh.

I will never be without that Klorane Conditioner for the rest of my life.

Over the weekend I used my SM Gel souffle again. I gotta get rid of it. It actually left my hair sticky and I barely used any.

Doreen
September 24th, 2018, 05:24 PM
I tried Function of Beauty custom haircare and absolutely hated it. Way overpriced and made my hair worse. Customer service has ignored my emails trying to get a reformulation or refund.

chiapommama
September 24th, 2018, 06:25 PM

New:

Yep, and they changed the shampoo too and added a bunch of other stuff.

Arciela
September 24th, 2018, 06:59 PM
I will never be without that Klorane Conditioner for the rest of my life.

Over the weekend I used my SM Gel souffle again. I gotta get rid of it. It actually left my hair sticky and I barely used any.

Yessss..that Klorane Conditioner is one of the *best* conditioners I ever used! I hope they never change it!!

Reservechic
September 24th, 2018, 07:20 PM
Most stuff by Shea Moisture, Cantu, CURLS, Ecostyler gel (doesn't matter the version), Pantene, most Tresemme products, EdenBodWorks, most Garnier Fructis products, just as out the entire As I Am line except for their Coconut Co-Wash, most DevaCurl products except for a very few, most Ouidad products for a very few, most of Maui Moisture's products, raw Shea butter by itself, and I don't think that shampoo bars from any company are best for use on my hair and scalp period. They all appear to be very drying to my hair and scalp, plus, I feel like there is some type of invisible shampoo bar residue still left on my hair and scalp, no matter how many times I rinse my hair. Also, my hair absolutely detests just about every Aphogee product I've tried and that's their 2-Minute Reconstructor. I also have learned to stay away from anything from Renpure, as that stuff is just awful for my hair, period. OGX also is a total fail for my hair, and so is anything by Paul Mitchell. My hair just doesn't agree with Paul Mitchell,products, period.

When it comes to Herbal Essences, there's nothing that I have tried from the line that I've ever liked, which is why, I have no interest in buying any of their products ever again. I also have to add in The Mane Choice products, as their pricey, and they have a lot of great ingredients in them, but I just don't see where they do anything major for my hair at all. I just feel like I'm paying for hype, which is why, I am 100% through with spending anymore products on that line, period. I also stay away from Luster's products, and a lot of old school brands that have been sold in the ethnic hair care isle, that just aren't a good fit for my hair period. When I was growing up, yes, that's what my mom looked to when it came to products to use on my hair, I I have naturally curly hair (due to my being of Black/African American, Caucasian, Mexican, and Creole descent), so growing up she went with stuff from the ethnic isle, because that's what she felt she was supposed to do. Now, I'm not saying that those products may not have done something for my hair back in the day, but nowadays, my hair just says NO to that stuff big time! Nowadays, there's been a lot of advances in haircare made since that time, and there are a plethora of products for curlies now, when unfortunately back when I was growing up there wasn't. So, my mother had no other choice but to make due with what they had.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 24th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Garnier Whole Blends.

Absolutely hate it. It’s waxy, gave me absolutely no shine whatsoever.

Longlegs
September 24th, 2018, 11:52 PM
Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil shampoo, It's only recently become available in Australia. I have never experienced such knotty, tangled hair after using it. It was awful.

postpixie88
September 25th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Hair food Jasmine & Vanilla cleansing conditioner. I'd had good luck with a different cleansing conditioner, bought this one because the other was out of stock, and had flat roots, dry lengths, and had to use a TON of the product to get my hair clean.

Natashap
September 25th, 2018, 12:20 PM
Shea moisture products ,my hair hates it.

I just tried one kind shampoo to help my hair ,but it was really bad.

Gummy hair,buildup ,tangles..velcro hair ...I have no idea which shampoo is doing it as now rotate my shampoo .

Need to be consistent and see whats causing this problem.

My hair hates any leave in conditioners and also allergic to coconut oil,major shedding.

kph12
September 25th, 2018, 12:24 PM
I've recently started using coconut oil and I actually like it despite what many people say! I feel like it helps make my hair more manageable. Also I started using Hask Shampoo and Conditioner and I really like those as well. I know they have silicones in them but they really make a huge difference in the smoothness and texture of my hair.

renia22
September 25th, 2018, 01:41 PM
^ I also can’t stand Shea Moisture, OGX (except for the lavender serum) and Not Your Mother’s. Also didn’t like most of the Garnier Whole Blends scents. I do have and like the Chamomile shampoo & conditioner, but only those.

Oh, and the changes to Aubrey Organics!! Yikes! Ruined beyond recognition!

nycelle
September 25th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I'm another one that doesn't do well with Garnier products. Have tried their various lines over the years and none have worked for me. They never leave my hair moisturized, and I find the scents to be overwhelming.

Brittny
September 25th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Moroccanoil treatment.

Picked up a bottle from TJ Maxx - it felt extremely sticky in my hands and worse on my hair.

It left my hair extremely weighed down and sticky. The absolute worst experience I had with an oil product.

nycelle
September 25th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Moroccanoil treatment.

Picked up a bottle from TJ Maxx - it felt extremely sticky in my hands and worse on my hair.

It left my hair extremely weighed down and sticky. The absolute worst experience I had with an oil product.

That's very weird. I've used it in the past, and it's not sticky at all. Maybe it's expired?

Dark40
September 28th, 2018, 07:56 PM
I would say that the old version of Suave shampoo and conditioner is my least favorite product. Because, it had always made my hair look and feel like a shaggy dog. It would always make my hair feel rough or brittle.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 29th, 2018, 12:04 AM
Moroccanoil treatment.

Isn’t half of a product like that not actually real oils? I wouldn’t trust hair products from tjmaxx, or Marshall’s or any of those discount stores. The products are usually expired and not good quality.

Packed with cones:
Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Fragrance, Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract, CI 26100 (Red 17), CI 47000 (Yellow 11).

yamsha23
September 29th, 2018, 03:23 AM
A Tresemme sulfate & silicone free shampoo. Didn't pay attention to the alcohol ingredient at the top of the ingredient list, ruined my hair...

Estrid
September 29th, 2018, 05:20 AM
This isn't really a product in the sense of that they sell it specifically for hair, but apple cider vinegar does absolutely nothing for me. It made my hair feel smoother (note: only when my hair was wet) after using a shampoo bar, but it did not remove build up or anything, totally useless.

Another product that I think bought in the late 2017s but know I used a few times in the early 2018 was the paul mitchell leave in original conditioner. I don't know exactly that that thing was supposed to do, but it didn't do anything noticeable to my hair.

Obsidian
September 29th, 2018, 07:32 AM
Shea moisture jbco leave in. It does nothing for my hair and if I use it bit too much, it leaves a weird dry film.
Not to mention the smell, like a cross between rotten fruit and play doh. It's by far the worse smelling hair product I've ever used.

lapushka
September 29th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Most stuff by Shea Moisture, Cantu, CURLS, Ecostyler gel (doesn't matter the version), Pantene, most Tresemme products, EdenBodWorks, most Garnier Fructis products, just as out the entire As I Am line except for their Coconut Co-Wash, most DevaCurl products except for a very few, most Ouidad products for a very few, most of Maui Moisture's products, raw Shea butter by itself, and I don't think that shampoo bars from any company are best for use on my hair and scalp period. They all appear to be very drying to my hair and scalp, plus, I feel like there is some type of invisible shampoo bar residue still left on my hair and scalp, no matter how many times I rinse my hair. Also, my hair absolutely detests just about every Aphogee product I've tried and that's their 2-Minute Reconstructor. I also have learned to stay away from anything from Renpure, as that stuff is just awful for my hair, period. OGX also is a total fail for my hair, and so is anything by Paul Mitchell. My hair just doesn't agree with Paul Mitchell,products, period.

When it comes to Herbal Essences, there's nothing that I have tried from the line that I've ever liked, which is why, I have no interest in buying any of their products ever again. I also have to add in The Mane Choice products, as their pricey, and they have a lot of great ingredients in them, but I just don't see where they do anything major for my hair at all. I just feel like I'm paying for hype, which is why, I am 100% through with spending anymore products on that line, period. I also stay away from Luster's products, and a lot of old school brands that have been sold in the ethnic hair care isle, that just aren't a good fit for my hair period. When I was growing up, yes, that's what my mom looked to when it came to products to use on my hair, I I have naturally curly hair (due to my being of Black/African American, Caucasian, Mexican, and Creole descent), so growing up she went with stuff from the ethnic isle, because that's what she felt she was supposed to do. Now, I'm not saying that those products may not have done something for my hair back in the day, but nowadays, my hair just says NO to that stuff big time! Nowadays, there's been a lot of advances in haircare made since that time, and there are a plethora of products for curlies now, when unfortunately back when I was growing up there wasn't. So, my mother had no other choice but to make due with what they had.

OMG; what's left to like? :lol:

Ylva
September 29th, 2018, 03:27 PM
Shea moisture jbco leave in. It does nothing for my hair and if I use it bit too much, it leaves a weird dry film.
Not to mention the smell, like a cross between rotten fruit and play doh. It's by far the worse smelling hair product I've ever used.

Do you have the new formula? The one with parfum pretty high up on the list?

aethyra
September 29th, 2018, 04:56 PM
I cannot use Garnier products of any kind. Even when my hair was in optimal health I had massive dryness when using their conditioner. Comb out was a nightmare. Redken products do very little for me; Even their intensive treatment "Extreme" conditioner. I also find that Acure products do nothing helpful for my hair. I cant get through my hair with my fingers using their mega moisture conditioner or their pumpkin conditioner.

Obsidian
September 29th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Do you have the new formula? The one with parfum pretty high up on the list?

Yes, they really need to redo it. I can't even give it away due to the smell

Spar
September 29th, 2018, 09:49 PM
I've been through so many products this year <_<

The absolute worst:

Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo, Conditioner, and Milk Leave In
I thought this would be great for wavy hair, but it dried out my ends and I was having so much breakage :( I had to cut off a few inches. My ends were always tangling, no matter how much I combed or brushed. My hair looked great for the first couple of weeks but slowly started getting worse and worse ...

Chi Iron Guard Thermal Protection
This was terrible too. Same effect as the Shampoo & Conditioner as above. Dried out my hair and tangled it like crazy.

Shea Moisture Coconut Finishing Oil Serum

This dried out my ends as well. Made my hair feel really greasy, but in like a "dry grease" way if that makes sense.

Best Products:
Amika Bombshell Blowout
This is a blow-dry spray that adds volume and shine. It's very nice! I don't notice a ton of volume due to how long/thick my hair is, so I think shorter hair types would benefit from the extra volume. However, it makes my hair super soft and BOUNCY! Plus so much SHINE!

Hot Tools Ceramic Curling Iron
I love this iron so much! My hair does NOT get stuck or snag. I was previously using a Conair Curling Iron and my hair GOT STUCK in the clamp! Ever since that incident I've had curling iron PTSD and gave up on curling irons. This iron changed my mind. The temperature is also adjustable and I keep it on the lowest setting. (270F)

Mademoiselle
September 30th, 2018, 09:09 AM
My hair does not like PROTEIN treatments, I bought keratin blisters (tahe), it is progressive keratin, it is used after washing and it is left in the hair, drying with a hot air dryer (I did it with care).
I eliminated the frizz but my tips were stiff, hard and with strange shapes.
When washed and hydrated it returned to normal. It surprised me a lot since I have bleached hair (I wore dark brown a year ago and now dark blond with light blond flashes), I thought keratin was good for bleached hair.
The OILS make my hair look very heavy, even if I put a minimum amount. My hair was 1c but since I blew it is rather 2a, not very manageable, with frizz and very dry ... I dont know what to do with it, it only looks good using heat, if I let it dry in braids or ribbons so it has a Pretty shape just does not dry, it keeps all the moisture in it.

I add to my worst list f 2018
L'Oréal Stylista The Sleek Serum--This product leaves my hair rough, as if drying it,it doesnt leave it softer like other oily serums, my hair hate it.Shampoo tressemme smooth & silky-- I had peeling when I used it, plus my scalp was greasing faster.

Makyle
January 29th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Reviving!

OGX niacin3 & caffeine shampoo and conditioner.... if you want crunchy over protein packed ends this is it.

My experience anyway.

Ylva
January 29th, 2019, 12:37 PM
Maybe it's time to make a 2019 thread for most disliked products?

Makyle
January 29th, 2019, 12:41 PM
Maybe it's time to make a 2019 thread for most disliked products?

YES, fully agreed

Sparkles122
January 29th, 2019, 12:42 PM
The it’s a 10 miracle hair mask. It does nothing for my hair yet its too heavy for my hair all at the same time. I dont even know how to explain it. And $32 for that jar is outragous.

The repair and protect shampoo from Pantene, I love the way my hair looks after using it but the day after washing my hair, my scalp is itching VIOLENTLY

Sparkles122
January 29th, 2019, 12:45 PM
Is there a favorite products thread?

priinnz
January 29th, 2019, 12:49 PM
Rusk deepshine oil shampoo—soooo drying and makes my hair tangly

nycelle
January 29th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Is there a favorite products thread?

yes.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145787

ArabellaRose
January 29th, 2019, 12:55 PM
Palmer's Coconut Oil Co-wash, I used it three times and it completely trashed my hair. It left my hair dry, brittle, and riddled with splits and breaks, I don't think it was even because of the coconut oil as my hair usually likes that stuff. It set me back right at the beginning of my journey to better hair and the only thing that saved my hemline was an accident in a microtrim that led to me chopping an inch off to fix it.

nycelle
January 29th, 2019, 12:57 PM
I forgot how much I hated Garnier Whole Blends Care Legendary Olive Cream Hair Mask

Just one of the worst products I've tried in years. It left my hair a frizzy mess.

Sparkles122
January 29th, 2019, 01:03 PM
yes.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145787

Thank you :)

Milkchocolate
January 29th, 2019, 06:51 PM
OGX tea tree mint shampoo is horrible. Makes the hair feel staticky, tangled, rough, dry, wispy. The absolute worst!! I also haven’t touched my Shea Moisture JBCO in a looong time! =[ feel so bad about it. Purchased an abundance of them but it started making my hair feel dry and brittle and not smoothing at all. I later on discovered that my hair needs coney masks and conditioners :/

PixieNixie
January 29th, 2019, 07:23 PM
I tried Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Sea Salt Spray. I dont know what I was thinking. Was hoping to define my waves more and get those "beachy waves" you see all over the nets. Didnt happen. This stuff just dried out my hair and left it almost crunchy. Tried it once and wont ever use it again.

Longlegs
January 29th, 2019, 09:30 PM
Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil strengthen and restore shampoo , for a sulphate-free shampoo I felt it was really harsh, and made my hair so knotty and tangled ! it was awful.

blackgothicdoll
January 29th, 2019, 09:37 PM
Any of the shea moisture leave-ins besides that silicone-free miracle leave-in. And the cantu cream that comes in a jar, for that matter. Greasy, heavy, smelly, yuck. Nothing else really comes to mind.

Copasetic
January 30th, 2019, 06:38 AM
Giovanni direct leave in conditioner. It was a favourite of mine (and everyone else) when I first joined the LHC, but they changed the formula. The smell is completely different and it is borderline runny compared to the old formula.

Sid0rela
January 30th, 2019, 08:08 AM
I really hated the SunSilk Perfect Straight Leave In Conditioner!
I've been using it sometimes, after i washed my hair when it was still damp.
My hair ended up drying out so frizzy and got super oily since the second day. It felt awful.
I have the bottle full so i need to use it, but i really don't want to.
I know it's not mentioned here as much, but i wanted to share anyways.

Natalia_A00
January 30th, 2019, 08:35 AM
Blumin Onion Shampoo (Idk if I commented this before), made my hair feel stiff, coarse, knotty and coated. Velcro hair. What's more it messed up my scalp and now I notice that it's more itchy and I have more dandruff (and I was shedding more than usual). It felt pretty harsh and drying. I didn't like it at all. I didn't even finish the bottle.
I'm not having good experiences with onion shampoos. I tried one before this one (from CuidaDos), and it wasn't that bad, but I wasn't satisfied either.

Dark40
February 3rd, 2019, 12:25 PM
The product my hair dislikes is the old Suave shampoos and conditioners from the 1980s. I've tried those products and it left my hair full of tangles and lots of dryness. My hair also did not have any shine while using them at all.

Groovy Granny
February 3rd, 2019, 02:05 PM
Shea Moisture S&C ~ discolored my whites/silver (argan oil in it ) :(

Before that they had a product with a fragrance that made me :puke:....ugh just the thought of it!
It was @4 years ago...I can't remember which one and don't even see it....so maybe it was taken off the shelves?
I dumped it because it stunk so bad :tmi:

Thankfully after a clarifying and a few silver shampoo washes the discoloration faded :p

Needless to say, I do NOT buy anything by them :lol:

sophia_
February 3rd, 2019, 03:06 PM
A hotel I stayed at during the summer had Pantene Pro-V products in the rooms, and I thought I'd try it because a lot of people who use cones said it worked well for them. It made my hair so crunchy I had to wash it again with my Renpure conditioner the next day, I was afraid it was going to break off! It was a horrible feeling, and I'm scared to ever use another Pantene product, or even another hotel conditioner...

lemonlollies
February 3rd, 2019, 04:38 PM
Not a specific product as such, but coconut oil does nothing for my hair, in fact it makes it worse... it seems to make it lank and greasy but crispy and dry all at the same time. I must be in the minority here though, it’s very frustrating as I know how many people swear by it!

nycelle
February 3rd, 2019, 07:41 PM
Paula's Choice CALM Redness Relief Toner for normal to dry skin.

I've been using it for over a week, and it does not relieve redness nor do anything else. I can't remember the last time I used a product that did absolutely nothing. I mean either they do what they say, or they don't work for my skin for whatever reason (like drying, or irritating).
This one though does absolutely nothing. Hasn't helped or hindered. Either way it's a complete waste of money.

Astrid Carlisle
February 7th, 2019, 04:56 AM
Shea Moisture S&C ~ discolored my whites/silver (argan oil in it ) :(

I hope it's okay if I ask a question in this thread. Groovy Granny, how did it get dicolored? Became yellower? Because I have blond hair mid-down the length, and I just started using a Shea Moisture mask that also has argan oil in it :/ Now I'm rethinking..

Crystawni
February 7th, 2019, 05:42 AM
Astrid, it may be a YMMV kinda thing because argan oil doesn't change the colour of my whites and silvers at all like it does GG's, and I've been using it for years. Maybe see how you go?

Worst product for 2018 for me was BIOSILK Silk Therapy 17 Miracle Leave in conditioner spray. I found it does absolutely nothing for my hair apart from making it limp, and it stinks to high heaven. I tried it about three times at various intervals to see if it may work, but can't stand the stuff on me--it triggers migraines, and I have to wash it out ASAP. Blergh.

Reyesuela
February 8th, 2019, 03:26 AM
PANTENE CHANGED THEIR CONDITIONER FORMULA.

I’ve never had build up in my life before now. :(((

chiapommama
February 8th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Cantu leave in Conditioning cream. (Silicone free)Gave me pretty good definition, but made my hair so tangly and dready, and felt like it sucked all the moisture out of my hair. Had to soak my head in diluted conditioner and work it over with a wide toothed comb.That was two days ago.

Aeonian
February 9th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Kerastase shampoo and conditioner, it was totally a waste of money. Made my hair go limp and greasy. I have noticed that my doesn't respond well to expensive high end products, at the moment I'm using a very cheap shampoo - no sulphates/parabens/perfume and my hair is in great condition. Can someone explain this?

nycelle
February 9th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Kerastase shampoo and conditioner, it was totally a waste of money. Made my hair go limp and greasy. I have noticed that my doesn't respond well to expensive high end products, at the moment I'm using a very cheap shampoo - no sulphates/parabens/perfume and my hair is in great condition. Can someone explain this?

It just means your hair doesn't like the ingredients, or concentration of certain ingredients in a particular product. Not so much high vs low end.