PDA

View Full Version : Daily shampooing - will it hurt growth?

joiekimochi
June 18th, 2018, 01:01 AM
When I rocked hip-length hair a couple of years ago, I would wash my hair every 3-4 days. My hair was in pretty good condition and so was my scalp.

When I started my bleach adventure, I would stretch the washes up to 5 days, since my scalp was so dry from constant bleaching, and my bleached hair soaked up sebum and didn't look greasy.

However, I started getting heavily into fitness a short while later, and ended up having to wash my hair after each workout since I sweat a lot. At that time it was every other day, since I worked out on alternate days.

Then, when I graduated into becoming an instructor, I began teaching and working out every single day. At first I stuck to alternate day washing and kept my hair in stinky French braids, but some time last year, it turned into the worst case of scalp eczema, urticaria and SD combined I've ever experienced. My scalp was constantly on fire, burning, itching, with big swollen welts.

In the end I cut my hair to a short bob and have been maintaining at that length for over a year. I stopped bleaching, and wash my hair every day, even on my rest day, because skipping one day makes my scalp itch. The issues have otherwise gone away - after so many months of burning, itching scalp, waking up everyday with a normal scalp is such a relief.

Anyway, I am back on the growing bandwagon. My question is, as my hair starts to get longer, will daily washing hurt the health and quality of my lengths? Are there ways to avoid mechanical damage on my ends while still keeping my scalp clean and clear of irritants?

Thanks in advance!

Sarahlabyrinth
June 18th, 2018, 01:10 AM
I tried daily washing for several months and it dried my ends out terribly.
Maybe you could use diluted shampoo rather than full strength, it would be very much gentler on your hair, and of course, conditioner (not on your scalp, just the ends), You could also try just rinsing your hair in water some days, and doing a wash less often? Generally speaking, hair prefers less washing rather than more. You will need to see what your hair (and particularly, scalp) prefers.

Joules
June 18th, 2018, 02:17 AM
Yes, frequent shampoo washes hurt hair. Some people can grow longer hair with everyday washes than others, but in general hair is so much better off withoug being messed with every single day.

I'd suggest co-washing, if your scalp can tolerate it. It gets rid of excess sebum and sweat without completely stripping and drying hair. You could alternate between co-wash and shampoos, or maybe even doing shampoos every third day, and in between two co-washes.

If it's not an option, then you could try oiling ends before each wash. Also, try gentle sls-free shampoos, again, if your scalp agrees with it. When your hair gets longer, you could start scalp-only washing (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=137528).

lapushka
June 18th, 2018, 03:52 AM
If there is no more bleach, then you can *for sure* wash daily without a concern. It is a myth that you *need* to stretch washes to grow long successfully. It is more cumbersome maybe with long hair to have to wash it daily, but it's not due to concerns over scalp issues or scalp health. On the contrary even. Some scalps really thrive on a good clean, often. It really depends on the person.

Just make sure (at chin it's not an issue) that when you grow longer, you use some kind of leave-in or serum on the very ends.

Happy growing to you!

AutobotsAttack
June 18th, 2018, 06:01 AM
There’s seriously no problem washing daily.

Just dilute your shampoo quite a bit, and coat some conditioner on your mid shaft to your ends. Focus the shampoo from the scalp to the ears, and then rinse.

You can even put some oil on your ends just so you’re not washing all the things that provide moisture and protection from your older parts of your hair.

I train every other day as well, and stretching washes more than 2-3 days severely messes with my scalp. So I have to wash rather frequently, I just keep shampoo on my roots, and protect the rest with conditioner, and then rinse.

Alissalocks
June 18th, 2018, 08:07 AM
I kinda wondered if the scalp issues you went through were more bleach related than wash related? I know that's not your main point, but just thinking...?

I second what Joules said entirely. Maybe CO wash alternatively, stretching the shampoo wash days if possible, and oil on the ends, always. Even a light oil to protect them might help :flower:

The-Young-Maid
June 18th, 2018, 09:00 AM
If it makes your scalp happy- keep washing daily. A happy scalp is paramount. Just use extra oil/serum and a good conditioner and your ends won't get dried out. Co washing sounds like a disaster for your scalp, I wouldn't recommend trying that. I also wash daily because if I don't my scalp gets super itchy. I had to learn the hard way that sometimes you just need to listen to your scalp. Some on here have had success with scalp only washes, you might find those helpful!

CopperButterfly
June 18th, 2018, 09:29 AM
I think this its very much a case of know your hair and know your scalp. I have hair that's pretty resilient. When I was 18 I had hip length hair, that I washed daily, wore down all the time, trimmed only every 6 months to a year, wore in ponytails, and brushed all the time. I still had nice thick ends, very little taper. The only thing I did right by lhc standards was no dye and no heat.

Anyway I'm still a daily washer, sometimes I do scalp only washes and keep my my hair dry below my chin. It helps speed up the drying process.

Anyway, my point is, you do what's best for your hair, and for your scalp. There's no cut and dry rules to what is best when it comes to washing frequency.

Enjoy your growing journey!

lithostoic
June 18th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Try CWC if you are washing daily!

nycelle
June 18th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Personally, I never had an issue with daily shampoos. My hair still grew and my hemline was fine until I started coloring and highlighting.

Dark40
June 18th, 2018, 11:23 AM
I agree with lupushka and The Young-Maid. Daily washing makes your hair look and feel much happier than if you stretch wash it. I know, because I used to wash mine with shampoo every single day, and my hair and scalp was a lot happier than it is now with me now washing it on alternate days. It is a myth if you stretch-wash it to grow longer hair.

ravenskey
June 18th, 2018, 11:50 AM
I'd say keep doing what you're doing to keep your scalp happy but add some kind of leave in oil or serum for your ends so they don't get too dry.

lapushka
June 18th, 2018, 03:20 PM
I'd say keep doing what you're doing to keep your scalp happy but add some kind of leave in oil or serum for your ends so they don't get too dry.

Or, try scalp-washes (tied back lengths, not "letting the suds run down") as of the moment you can do them to protect your ends.

Arciela
June 18th, 2018, 03:43 PM
If there is no more bleach, then you can *for sure* wash daily without a concern. It is a myth that you *need* to stretch washes to grow long successfully. It is more cumbersome maybe with long hair to have to wash it daily, but it's not due to concerns over scalp issues or scalp health. On the contrary even. Some scalps really thrive on a good clean, often. It really depends on the person.

Just make sure (at chin it's not an issue) that when you grow longer, you use some kind of leave-in or serum on the very ends.

Happy growing to you!

This is so true. My great Aunt washed her hair daily and had thick hair to the floor! It varies from person to person :) I cowash my hair quite often and its growing quickly.

Lizabeth94
June 18th, 2018, 08:06 PM
I think having a healthy scalp takes priority, and having an inflamed scalp is bound to cause more hairloss than shampooing daily would. Besides, its not so much the shampooing as it is the extra brushing and blow drying rough towel drying ect that can cause hairloss. As long as you are gentle, use a wide toothed comb, let you hair air dry instead of using a hair dryer or being rough with a towel daily, i don't think it makes a difference.
If it helps im a swim instructor who teaches mornings and evenings and often have to wash my hair twice a day. I generally rinse my hair out in the morning and shampoo in the evening being as gentle as possible when drying and detangling and i havent seen any ill effects other than dryness from chlorine.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 18th, 2018, 08:13 PM
You have to experiment. This is very much a YMMV type situation.
I was infrequently and with sulphate free shampoo for the most part.

Jo Ann
June 18th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Pre-LHC, I washed almost daily during the summer because it could get downright HOT working in a cement-block building in Florida during the summer. My hair length at the time was between APL and BSL, and I had no problems with my hair feeling dry or damaged.

I would think it would depend on the products you use, rather than the frequency of your shampoo schedule, that would determine how healthy your hair remains. If dry ends are a problem, maybe a serum/oil used daily would help keep them moisturized/protected after you shampoo and condition. Also, as others have stated, with your history of scalp issues, I'd be more concerned with keeping your scalp happy and healthy.

pailin
June 18th, 2018, 10:39 PM
Daily washing can be fine! I'm still washing daily, at classic length. My hair is fine, tends to be dry easily, and tangles like easily. But my scalp does NOT do well with stretching washes; it gets very itchy and greasy and if I don't start washing more soon it gets flaky too. And I especially wouldn't skip shampooing after exercise; it's very hot and very humid here, so I sweat buckets.
Some people have recommended cowashing; you could give it a try, but I think it's more useful for people with dry scalp who are washing more frequently (ie after exercise). If you started washing daily because of itching/ dandruff/ seborrheic dermatitis etc, conditioner on your scalp can make things worse. So you can try it, but pay close attention. Some people will shed more. For me, it makes my scalp itch.
My solution has been to continue washing daily - and I don't even use a particularly gentle shampoo- and go really heavy on the moisturizing. I have a thick, rich conditioner I love, and I use it twice, but never on my scalp. Also I use baby oil as a rinse out oil, and I use a silicone serum as a leave in. In drier climates I use a leave-in conditioner as well. At shorter lengths I didn't need quite as much though. Since my hair tends to tangle easily, I gauge whether I'm getting enough moisture into it by how hard it is to detangle - if I'm doing it right, it doesn't take that long.

Anyway, do what your scalp needs. If washing less than daily gives you an itchy scalp, then wash daily and do not feel guilty.

trolleypup
June 18th, 2018, 10:56 PM
Do what makes your scalp happy...daily washing with shampoo probably isn't going to do a huge amount of damage on its own.

Personally, my whole routine is based on keeping my scalp happy. So...for me it is making sure there isn't product residue left on my scalp. And I keep products that tend to cause scalp anger for me away. I use a well diluted shampoo and then rinse it out with a strong water spray (yay scalp massage too). Conditioner is only on the ends, and finish with a (fairly strong) vinegar rinse. This is really just the results of trial and error. Also, if I need to wash after heavy exercise, when I'm still overheated, I'll skip the shampoo part and just do the power rinse.

Good luck finding a route to keep your scalp happy.

joiekimochi
June 18th, 2018, 11:24 PM
Thank you for all the advice! They are all super helpful!

I'm glad to hear that daily washing isn't too disastrous for my hair. I'm at shoulder-grazing length now, and only the last 2-3 inches of my top layers are bleached, but the rest of my hair is virgin hair. Scalp comfort is of utmost concern to me, and I do get mild inflammation, itching and flakes if I try to skip a day of shampooing. I do use conditioner on the ends and a leave-in serum to smooth down the bleached ends.

Now I'm not so worried about having to stretch washes as my hair grows longer!