PDA

View Full Version : My 1 year LHC anniversary

JEMTheNerd
June 17th, 2018, 03:16 AM
As of right now, I've officially been a member on this site for an entire year!!! :thud: tbh the time has flown! When I first joined this site I was very upset with my hair, or rather how others viewed it. It was six months after I shaved my head into a faux hawk and spent it being treated very different than what I was with long hair. It was learning experience though!!! I was able to experiment with such a huge change and even if those around me hated it, I loved it while I had it. It's been a year now and my hair is about six inches longer than it was this time last year. I wanna share some of the changes I've gone through in one year!! Maybe everyone else can do the same, too!

- I've learned to treat myself and my hair with more respect than ever before. I used to hate myself to the point I'd never let my picture be taken, or be seen without a hoodie on. I'm beautiful, and I really mean that. I'm not fat, I'm healthy. I fell into anorexia for about six months and I was never more depressed. I've broken out of it long ago and I'm ok now, I'm eating and maintaining a weight healthy for me. Just a few hours ago I saw myself in my one piece swim suit and I was stunned. I couldn't believe that was me. The person with deep curves and broad hips and shoulders, the person with the full lips and bright eyes, the person with subtle, yet visible cheek bones and a nice jaw line. I never believed when my parents told me that I'm lucky because I'm an hour glass but boy I do now. I just stared forever, I took in myself in such a different view that I stunned myself. Usually whenever I looked in the mirror I was looking for flaws, all of them. But this time, this time I took in my perfections and I thought to myself for the first time since I was very small that I'm not undesirable... I'm.. pretty.

- I've started to think about what I want to be rather than what I need to be. I always told myself I'd be a doctor because I want a stable life financially. I also handle (Crave) stress. A few months ago though, my dad looked at me and said in such a sad tone "Ya know, I've never heard you say you wanted to be something because you love it." And it hit me deep, because I knew he was right. I knew I'd never take a class I wanted to because I liked it. I always took classes I knew would look good on my transcript. I changed that. I immediately emailed my counselor and asked (begged) to be put into an acting class. I got in. I'm taking classes next year I want to, to discover myself further because I love the idea of being a Marvel actress but I never believed in myself enough to even entertain that fantasy. Well, I'm not only entertaining that fantasy but I'm actively working to pursue it. If I don't like acting, I know for a fact I love voice acting- I do it as a hobby. I want to focus more on my happiness rather than my silly worries.

- I'm enjoying the slower paced process of things, like growing my hair out. I used to get frustrated and angry it wouldn't just grow faster but I've reached freedom from the mullet stage and am at a more in style of the season look. Those lovely bobs and lobs everyone's getting these days- I feel fashionable and I love it. I want to continue to grow my hair and I'm going to enjoy watching it change as I myself do nonstop. I grow as a person, as my hair grows.

I know this is pretty ridiculous to be posting something so not hair related on a hair forum, but I feel like I've changed a lot and I'm proud... Small steps always lead to bigger ones and I want these steps I'm taking, like not ever using heat on my hair and not washing my hair every day to help me learn to care for my hair better. Just as me taking steps to a dream that may be ridiculous, but not impossible. I want to hear your changes, and your steps too... :)

I want to thank everyone here too, from sharing pictures and tips- even motivation when I'm frustrated and unable to just understand myself. Y'all are amazing and I hope every single one of you achieve any dream and goal you can. <3 Thank you so much for making me apart of your community.

Dendra
June 17th, 2018, 05:12 AM
Happy anniversary JEM! It sounds like you've had some really positive changes in your year here and it's good hear you're on the way to an even happier you :cheer:

So your hair is a bob/lob length now? I'd love to see if you ever feel like posting a pic (I'm nosey ;))

- I'm enjoying the slower paced process of things, like growing my hair out. I used to get frustrated and angry it wouldn't just grow faster but I've reached freedom from the mullet stage and am at a more in style of the season look. Those lovely bobs and lobs everyone's getting these days- I feel fashionable and I love it. I want to continue to grow my hair and I'm going to enjoy watching it change as I myself do nonstop. I grow as a person, as my hair grows.

I like that idea.

embee
June 17th, 2018, 05:40 AM
Happy Anniversary. :) That's a whole lot of change in a year! Best wishes for enjoying your journey.

ravenskey
June 17th, 2018, 06:48 AM
Happy Anniversary and good growing!

JEMTheNerd
June 17th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Happy anniversary JEM! It sounds like you've had some really positive changes in your year here and it's good hear you're on the way to an even happier you :cheer:

So your hair is a bob/lob length now? I'd love to see if you ever feel like posting a pic (I'm nosey ;))

I like that idea.

Ahhh! I'd love to share hair pics but I can not for the life of me figure out how to on this site!!! :'( Do you happen to know how to post hair pics?

JEMTheNerd
June 17th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Thank you so much!!! <3

JEMTheNerd
June 17th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Thank you!! You too! <3

lithostoic
June 17th, 2018, 10:49 AM
Congrats so much!

The way I post pics is

1. Upload pic to a private album on facebook
2. Open the pic in a new window
3. Copy the link and paste it in between this code -->

The link goes in between the ] and [/

Dendra
June 17th, 2018, 11:16 AM
Ahhh! I'd love to share hair pics but I can not for the life of me figure out how to on this site!!! :'( Do you happen to know how to post hair pics?

litho's way is good, just thought I'd add what I do too:

1. Click on My Profile
2. Go to Albums and click on the album I want to add the picture to (you will have to create one first)
3. Upload the picture to that album from my computer
4. Copy the BB code which appears underneath the picture once it's uploaded
4. Paste the BB code into a message

Hope that helps!

ravenskey
June 17th, 2018, 12:04 PM
litho's way is good, just thought I'd add what I do too:

1. Click on My Profile
2. Go to Albums and click on the album I want to add the picture to (you will have to create one first)
3. Upload the picture to that album from my computer
4. Copy the BB code which appears underneath the picture once it's uploaded
4. Paste the BB code into a message

Hope that helps!

I'd go with this one it's really easy and you don't have to make accounts/albums on other websites.

lapushka
June 17th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Happy 1-year, JEMTheNerd. You've learned a lot where your hair is concerned. :) And not only that. I was borderline anorexic in my late teens (16/17); my mom shaped me up rather fast!

Have fun with your classes!

And it is *not* ridiculous posting this here, at all!

You're happy, for sure let it show! :D

:happydance:

Lady Stardust
June 17th, 2018, 05:31 PM
JEMTheNerd it’s lovely to read about your progress! You sound so much happier. Finding hobbies and passions make life so much better. It absolutely ties in with hair care and growth. Every part of you functions so much better when you feel happy and fulfilled.

TatsuOni
June 18th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Happy anniversary! :)

Alissalocks
June 18th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Wow you have really come a long way and have so much to be proud of!!! You not only grew your hair, your changed your entire paradigm. :flower: I also overcame an eating disorder, and understand that shift that must take place inside from things you have to make "perfect" (grades, jobs, external validation) to things you learn to love :cloud9:

I wish you much success in your acting endeavors! Go to your local theaters, find the ones whose work you like and ask how to get on their audition list, they will email you every time it's a casting call. I've been working as a dancer, actor, choreographer and stage manager in theatre for over 25+ years, there's always a strong need for new talent. And don't get discouraged if you don't get a callback, just go to the NEXT audition and Keep At It! Practice your craft, improve every day because you CAN and because you love it and have passion for it, not because you have to make it "perfect".

JEMTheNerd
June 21st, 2018, 07:34 PM
Thank you so much!!!!!! I really appreciate your advice!!! :,D I hope to be like you, and live my dream!!

JEMTheNerd
June 21st, 2018, 08:03 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32411&d=1529632855

Here is what my hair looks like currently!

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32408&d=1529632820

And here is what it looked like January 2017! :)

Julescarm
June 21st, 2018, 11:04 PM
You are a beautiful person! I don't tear up reading on other peoples stories, but yours I did. I had a bout of anorexia from 14 until 16 but never felt truly free until moving states and suddenly realising one day at 22 that I was free. We grow and mold daily, by the minute. Keep up the good work and remember that when you fall, you can rise back up.

Spikey
June 21st, 2018, 11:22 PM
Your hair is growing out really fast! And it looks like very healthy growth too, nice and shiny. Congrats on one year and everything you've overcome.

Milady_DeWinter
June 22nd, 2018, 02:12 AM
Happy 1st anniversary Jem! :flower:

Lady Stardust
June 22nd, 2018, 03:08 AM
Your hair looks great and has grown so quickly! I like the pixie cut you had too.

MusicalSpoons
June 22nd, 2018, 06:47 AM
Wow, that's a pretty awesome year of personal and hair growth you've had! It's lovely that your hair growth has sort of reflected your personal situation too :flower:

JEMTheNerd
June 26th, 2018, 03:59 PM
Thank you so much everyone!!! You're all so kind and I really am so glad I found this website!!! <3333333333