PDA

View Full Version : Insane Shedding

Tangles
November 1st, 2008, 01:15 PM
I've been shedding WAY more than usual these past four or five days. I just started using Giovanni shampoo and condish. I think if it's a product I'm using it's either the Rainbow indigo, the Giovanni, or the jojoba/shea combo I've been using. More likely it's just seasonal, but I'm losing more hair than I have in a really long time. About 100 strands a day. My pony circumference is now barely 3.5". I've had to change my thickness to ii!

At least I still have lots of new hairs growing on my scalp.

Heidi_234
November 1st, 2008, 01:53 PM
It might be the winter season, though. Alot of people around here reported a seasonal shedding. I haven't experienced that, I feel like I shed alot all the year.

Kirin
November 1st, 2008, 02:02 PM
It could just be an annual shed. I don't think its your products or the indigo at all, likely its just that phase of your hair where some follicles stop growing and they hairs shed out.

I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you think you are shedding well over 200 hairs a day, and it keeps up for two weeks straight.

Amoretti
November 1st, 2008, 02:53 PM
Every autumn I shed like crazy. It's probably seasonal.

HairColoredHair
November 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM
I don't notice much seasonality to my shedding, but if I'd have to guess I'd say I shed more in the spring. :)

Melisande
November 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
I've heard that it takes about three months for follicles to react so recent changes cannot make your hair fall out.

Sometimes I lose a lot of hairs per day, sometimes less. I don't count. I think it evens out over time. I measure my ponytail circumference every six months to see whether it's constant.

Don't worry too much about peaks in shedding. Next week may be much better. Minimize stress for your hair, take care of your nutrition and if you feel the shampoo is to blame, discontinue use. Maybe try in a month or two again. I don't think it's the shampoo change but if you have a bad gut feeling, simply put the bottle away... and return to your tried and trusted.

atlantaz3
November 1st, 2008, 08:53 PM
If it's any consolation I think I'm in a major shed. The dh is finding my hair all over - but he tells me he does that all the time.

Tangles
November 2nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
I estimate that I'm losing 100 per day, at minimum. At least I've got a lot of hair...

mellie
November 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
That's a lot!

If you can find soapnuts locally, you might want to try shampooing with them. I've noticed I have way, way less shedding when I wash with them! Yay!!

Tangles
November 2nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Does anyone here shed more with use of

--henndigo?
--sulfate shampoos (i use every time i wash)
--jojoba oil/shea?

trying to isolate possible causes...

Aisha25
November 2nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
For me its sulfate shampoo after I shampoo I always see more fall.

mellie
November 2nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
Yes, the sulfate shampoo does it for me.

Redheaded Raven
November 2nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
Okay one of the things I notice is if I get certain condish on my scalp, it will make my hair shed even worse. My mom taught me this one, she has told others about it when they are shedding alot and they quit when they stopped using it to scalp. I don't know if that is what you do or not.

I would try elimination of all of the changes and then add them back slowly one change at a time. That is how I have run down issues of allergies and such.

Yes RECENT changes can indeed cause a major shed. It takes very little time and follicles can be smothered by things. Oxygen is needed to prevent hair loss. Many allergies can cause immediate problems. But don't down load any pages, when doing a search the other day mom got a trojan:p during a download.
Good luck and stay safe.

Tangles
November 2nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
OMG my pony circumference went down to 3.5" where it used to be over 4. I'm REALLY beginning to worry. (My hair looks thick but it obviously isn't.)

ChloeDharma
November 2nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
That's a lot!

If you can find soapnuts locally, you might want to try shampooing with them. I've noticed I have way, way less shedding when I wash with them! Yay!!

I 2nd this, well...not soapnut specifically as i've not used that yet, but when i go herb only the reduction in shedding is amazing, once i use CO washing again my shedding goes up.
I can't comment on sulphates as it's so long since i've used them.....i gave them up a few months before i joined here, though have used them a few times here and there.
Try not to panic though, hard as it is....added stress as you know just is no help at all.

DavidN
November 2nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
Everyone goes through a different time of year when shedding is more pronounced, Tangles, and it is probably related to the growth cycle of your hair. I am aready aware of some members who experienced lots of shedding, then it passed, and everything was fine. I hope that everything works out for you, and try not to worry. If it continues, then it might be a good idea to talk to a doctor, preferably a dermatologist. I am not aware that certain shampoos cause more shedding than others.

Heidi_234
November 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Does anyone here shed more with use of

--henndigo?
--sulfate shampoos (i use every time i wash)
--jojoba oil/shea?

trying to isolate possible causes...

Actually henna (and ingido the same way), should not cause hair loss, but help fight it. It strengthens the roots. I was adviced to do root touch-ups every week or two to fight the shedding.

Samikha
November 2nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
OMG my pony circumference went down to 3.5" where it used to be over 4. I'm REALLY beginning to worry. (My hair looks thick but it obviously isn't.)

Relax! My pony circumference went down a little too due to shedding of late. I don't suppose you measured prior to joining LHC? Do you remember having this sort of shedding before? (I know I shed a lot last autumn so I'm pretty relaxed.)

squiggyflop
November 2nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
i think its the season.. my hair has been shedding so much.. over 70 hairs when i wash my hair.. and then a heap more when i detangle it..

Speckla
November 2nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
I have tumbleweed clumps of hair when I wash and detangle. No thinning spots on my scalp though.
________
Suzuki lj history (http://www.suzuki-tech.com/wiki/Suzuki_LJ)

skydancer7
November 2nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
You know what, I just started using giovanni too!!! About a week ago. And I have also noticed increased shedding. I was about to throw that stuff away, and then I saw your thread. I guess our heads just don't like that stuff...
Heidi

Tangles
November 2nd, 2008, 02:03 PM
I really hope it's not the Giovanni, because I like this product.

Tangles
November 2nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
I'm going to try doing more scalp massages too.

maliha
November 2nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Hi Tangles,,

I think there are so many possiblities for hair shedding,,
lately i feel i am shedding a lot more hair than usual,,,but there culd be several reason,,,
The best you can do right now is...get to the basics,,,
* Sleep enough and stay relaxed(As Chloe said stress is not gonna help anyway)
* Ofcourse you are on a right track for scalp massage,,but you may still notice shedding coz massagin also helps get rid of weak hair,,so dont lose patience...
*Switch back to all previous hair care routine and dont use new products for a while..(soapnuts are really good,,but you can save that for later)
* Drink more water and air dry ur hair
* Be super careful during detangling,,,start all from bottom length.
* As weather could b 1 of the reasons,,,You may just need patience for your hair to get back to normal..

Hope You notice less hair shedding :)

rx queen.
November 2nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
You know what, I just started using giovanni too!!! About a week ago. And I have also noticed increased shedding. I was about to throw that stuff away, and then I saw your thread. I guess our heads just don't like that stuff...
Heidi

oddly enough, this is my situation as well! hm :/

maunaloa
January 23rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
I'm going to get some garlic pills tomorrow. I heard they are good for shedding.

tiny_teesha
January 23rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
I shed more if anything is on my scalp or I massage my scalp. Sebum, oil, conditioner...etc. Everything makes me shed!

Annushka
January 23rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
I had some massive shedding late last summer, and it felt like it was never going to end. Unfortunately I hadn't discovered the LHC yet, so I don't know what my pony circumference used to be. Maybe it's better that I don't know!

I had left a stressful job for a new job that turned out to be even more stressful shudder: so I'm hoping that the hair loss was just stress-related and that it'll grow back.

Lately it seems that I'm not losing quite so much...

Cantabile
January 23rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
It could be seasonal, or it could be that your hair is adjusting to the new shampoo/conditioner. I know that when I switched to shampoo bars, it was shedding in clumps, but now it's down to only about a dozen strands or so. You might want to look into whether the shampoo is too harsh for your scalp, because sulfates can be irritating to the scalp.

Silver & Gold
January 23rd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Count me in as a seasonal shedder. I don't shed much at all most of the year but I do have a heavy shed in the fall and one not quite so heavy in the spring as well. I don't fret about it because I recognize the cycle.
You should make note of this shed. The time of year, the duration of the shed, the products you were using and also any dietary or lifestyle changes. Do this whenever you hit a period of shedding and perhaps you'll uncover a cycle or a reason.

Tressie
January 23rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
i think its the season.. my hair has been shedding so much.. over 70 hairs when i wash my hair.. and then a heap more when i detangle it..
I am in this same boat Squiggy. I shed in the shower and I shed a ton when I detangle. I try to detangle only once a day, to minimize the loss. I hope I can find an Indian grocery store so I can try Mellie's soapnuts.

I have always shed a good bit, but I never really worried about it, before joining LHC! Now, I seem to be more aware of everything about my hair. On the bright side, I am saving my shed hairs in a little fabric covered box and I'm going to make a hair "rat" with them. It's going to be a big one obviously..........more like a gopher! LOL!

Darkhorse1
January 23rd, 2009, 09:40 PM
I went through a shed recently. My 4.5 circumfrence is now just over 4. It's part of the cycle of hair. I didn't shed nearly as much as I did last year, so I can credit LHC and/or healtheir eating or...less stress?? Who knows :D

Beloved
January 23rd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Tangles, did anything major happen in your life about 8 weeks ago? Extra stress, surgery, a big weight loss, a medication, can all make your hair fall out 2 months after the fact. (The stress can shock your follicles into resting phase, which lasts about 2 months, so two months later you see a big shed.)

jojo
January 23rd, 2009, 10:58 PM
I tend to shed in September, but I too recommend soapnuts and garlic capsules. I started using mega tek and noticed a slight increase in shedding (I had hardly any shed with soapnuts) after taking garlic capsules for a few days I now have no shed whatsoever.

Tressie
January 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I tend to shed in September, but I too recommend soapnuts and garlic capsules. I started using mega tek and noticed a slight increase in shedding (I had hardly any shed with soapnuts) after taking garlic capsules for a few days I now have no shed whatsoever.
Hijack warning! jojo, what was the garlic casule content/size and did you just take one daily?

hijack over! (o:

sandigirl
January 24th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I don't see your age. When I hit menopause I lost at least one fifth of my VERY THICK hair and I was frantic. It did come back but it was VERY traumatic.

Forever_Sophie
January 24th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Last fall was the worst shed of my life, I think! It may have been seasonal, but I also started taking evening primrose oil (I read that it helps sometimes...). I'm losing much, much less these days.

Darkhorse1
January 24th, 2009, 02:03 PM
But, isn't shedding hairs normal? I mean, you will lose them as hair has a life cycle, so to speak. Hair is dead, but the root is alive, and lives for X amount of time, then dies. I mean, if it didn't, we'd be pretty hairy ;)

I'm worried about losing hair when I hit menopause, but my mom didn't--she lost her hair/thinned when she was diagnosed/developed and autoimmune disease. :( But, it's growing back now with help and it looks pretty good! She keeps it short now for personal reasons.

jojo
January 25th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Hijack warning! jojo, what was the garlic casule content/size and did you just take one daily?

hijack over! (o:
I take one 1000 mg capsule it contains just pure garlic, no garlic burps or anything. It is rather large but it has worked wonders for my shed rate. I first learnt about it on another hair forum which were discussing mega tek and how to reduce shed, it worked for a lot of them too. There is also a shampoo which contains garlic available in America which a lot was using too.