PDA

View Full Version : Help with son's awkward stage hair in the summer heat.

njrb
June 16th, 2018, 11:48 AM
My DS 10 (soon to be 11) is growing out his hair currently. He's getting close to making it out of the awkward stage, but probably won't truly reach the end for another couple months or so. Right now he just wears his hair loose and has been struggling a bit as the weather has gotten quite warm. He has shot down any suggestion that he tie his hair back since not all of it is long enough for a ponytail yet and unsurprisingly has been a bit resistant to pins etc. He's fairly determined and might just tough it out, but I wondered if anyone else had suggestions?

iforgotmylogin
June 16th, 2018, 12:03 PM
As a dude who's always lived in a warm climate, allow me to recommend a baseball cap. Keep it off the face and particularly the forehead makes a big difference.

Alternatively, when I grew my hair out again in the last couple of years I had as much of it as I could tie together, tied together, then used a thin beanie that was not big enough to reach my ears to pull the remainder back from my forehead and cover the small ponytail

njrb
June 16th, 2018, 12:16 PM
Thanks iforgotmylogin. Unfortunately he has been very resistant to the idea of a partial ponytail, but I'll see if that sounds better to him if he also is wearing a hat.

prairie lark
June 16th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Half-up (https://hippypotomus.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/long-hair-men.png) kiddo! :)

He might like an undercut at the nape, too.

lapushka
June 16th, 2018, 04:24 PM
My advice? :) Don't take him out of his comfort-zone. Don't make him wear pins or tie it back if he doesn't want to. If he'd rather tough it out, then so be it; his choice to make, IMMHO. It's a finicky age as well, just before puberty full-on hits. So he's probably sensitive, very much so, to things he doesn't want (to do).

lithostoic
June 16th, 2018, 05:06 PM
A bandana might be cool! Or he could wear a ball cap. But that's *IF* *HE* wants it out of his face. When I was his age it was cool to have your hair all in your face, skater boy style :P

Sarahlabyrinth
June 16th, 2018, 05:08 PM
I would leave him to it unless he asks you what he should do with it.

Lizabeth94
June 16th, 2018, 05:32 PM
I second the hat idea!

cjk
June 16th, 2018, 06:02 PM
I wear a spandex buff as a bandana. Have posted several photos recently.

njrb
June 17th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Thanks all. Decided not to push the issue too much as he is very sensitive about being told what to do these days. I just gave him the suggestions about hats and bought him a pack of hair ties so he has his own for if/when he decides he wants them.

iforgotmylogin
June 17th, 2018, 10:34 PM
https://harlanrusso.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/beatkid41.jpg