PDA

View Full Version : Manic Panic dye experiment failure

spidermom
June 15th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Soooooooooooo .....

Sometimes I like to try something new with my hair. I can't afford to see my stylist/colorist, but I have a partial bottle of Manic Panic Crimson sitting around, so I got the bright idea to try a color melt experiment. Starting above the nape of my neck, I divided my hair into about 1-inch thick, horizontal sections. I painted MP at the top of each section from ear to ear, then combed through with a fine tooth comb. Then I made a looped ponytail kind of a thing and left it for a couple of hours.

So, for reference, here is the color I started out with and the color I ended up with.
https://i.imgur.com/TRoPuc5.jpg?2 https://i.imgur.com/7l6S30Q.jpg?1
It's not what I was going for, plus turned out kind of patchy and weird, which doesn't really show up in the photo, but I don't hate it.
Here's a braid to show how patchy it it:
https://i.imgur.com/K5PMHk3.jpg?1

Meh. It's all going to come out in the wash in a few weeks anyway, so no harm done. I like how the different concentrations of dye are playing with the different natural tones in my hair.

I'll come back in a few washes and update.

If anybody else has dye experiment failures to share, please do.

Kiiruna
June 15th, 2018, 03:01 PM
I think it looks super nice, even if it's a bit patchy!

My worst dye experiment failure was when I dyed my hair purple, but somehow it turned green. I wasn't too happy about it... :lol:

Sarahlabyrinth
June 15th, 2018, 03:09 PM
I like the way it looks! Just a gentle colour.

spidermom
June 15th, 2018, 03:39 PM
I like the way it looks! Just a gentle colour.

Awww; thanks.

spidermom
June 15th, 2018, 03:42 PM
I think it looks super nice, even if it's a bit patchy!

My worst dye experiment failure was when I dyed my hair purple, but somehow it turned green. I wasn't too happy about it... :lol:

Oh my goodness; I wonder why that happened. I once dyed my hair MP purple, and it faded through a not very nice shade of grayish. I didn't like it but I wasn't too upset; I knew it would be completely gone sooner or later.

Robot Ninja
June 15th, 2018, 03:53 PM
If you didn't clarify before you dyed, that could explain the patchiness. If you did clarify, then I dunno. I wouldn't call it a fail though, and your waves will make any missed spots less obvious.

My worst hair color fail was when I decided I wanted silver bangs so I bleached them without fading out all the Pravana dye first. They turned a gross patchy green, and the green wouldn't fade at all. So I found a hat (I never wear hats,) went to the drugstore, got some MP Atomic Turquoise, dyed over them and pretended I totally meant to do that.

Aredhel
June 15th, 2018, 03:55 PM
I dunno, I actually really like it!! Wouldn't have really thought of it as patchy if you hadn't pointed it out first. :)

Dark40
June 15th, 2018, 04:19 PM
I also really like it too! :) It doesn't look patchy at all to me.

melesine
June 15th, 2018, 04:24 PM
Is your hair virgin? It doesn't take as well on virgin hair.

spidermom
June 15th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Is your hair virgin? It doesn't take as well on virgin hair.

Well ... my hair is not bleached. I wouldn't call it virgin; it's been around (lol). My stylist/colorist has foiled it with rose gold in the past, also dusty rose. Like Manic Panic, those colors fade out.

I'm sure it turned out patchy because my sections were too thick. I should have gone more like 1/2 inch than 1 inch. But it's o.k. Like I said, it wasn't what I was going for, but I don't hate it. In fact, I think it's pretty, but I'm sure my colorist would frown.

Beckstar
June 15th, 2018, 06:42 PM
It's a pretty pastel gradient. I like it. Did you put a plastic cap or bag over the top of your head while it processed? That heat can help the color to catch better and be more vibrant.

SeRe
June 15th, 2018, 06:56 PM
I think it looks great, I can't see where it's patchy tbh.

Lady Stardust
June 15th, 2018, 07:04 PM
I like it! Just wear it with confidence and it will look intentional.

FennFire911
June 15th, 2018, 07:23 PM
I don’t think that’s a fail. It looks cute to me. :)

cailinbee
June 15th, 2018, 07:40 PM
Lovely results, honestly, the patchiness doesn't register when I look at the photo -- really nice effect, I think!

JennGalt
June 15th, 2018, 07:41 PM
It looks great :) Not a fail, IMO.

I don't really have any dye fail stories... But I tried to bleach my off-black hair as a teenager so I could dye it like all my friends were doing. It didn't work; it got about a shade lighter. Apparently the undertones in my hair are almost black too, so I'll have to wait 'til I start going gray to play with dyes.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 15th, 2018, 09:18 PM
It looks very intentional and nice! I like it.

Jo Ann
June 15th, 2018, 09:54 PM
It looks like you had your color freshened, Spidermom. You ROCK it, Girl! http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg24/peanibbles/HeadbangingStick.gif

https://awesomesquad.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/headbanger.gif

spidermom
June 15th, 2018, 09:57 PM
It's a pretty pastel gradient. I like it. Did you put a plastic cap or bag over the top of your head while it processed? That heat can help the color to catch better and be more vibrant.

I didn't think about that! Next time.

Margarita
June 16th, 2018, 12:22 AM
This is a very beautiful candyfloss pink! =)

MidnightMoon
June 16th, 2018, 01:22 AM
I don't see the patchiness, but maybe it's the photo quality. I think it looks good :p