PDA

View Full Version : Wedding hairdo

MlleMC
June 14th, 2018, 10:41 AM
As some of you may know, I'm getting married soon (in 51 days!), and I want to do my hair myself.

I'm currently about half-way between mid-thigh and knee (this is what it looked like in March (https://imgur.com/EN6uit3), and I trimmed most of the growth that happened since them), so I really want to take advantage of the full length and to show it off.

I'm thinking of curling the ends a bit, but I need to find a good way to to it. So far, I've only tried Victorian rag curls, but they worked a little too well (https://imgur.com/beXPxYH) - and it was really uncomfortable to sleep - and I want something softer, more like waves. My hair is naturally wavy, but I can't really count on that as the waves vary a lot from day to day. Also, I'm not sure if I should use some kind of product to make sure they hold for the entire day (I normally don't use any products).

I also want to do something braided and stylish with the top to keep it out of my face, but I don't know what. I have a comb, a 5 cm claw clip and a barrette, so the style can use either of those (or hidden pins). I only want the top to be braided as I want to keep as much thickness as possible in my ends, since they're quite thin.

So, any ideas? I'm quite good at braiding, so it doesn't need to be easy to do, as long as it doesn't require another person to help.

ravenskey
June 14th, 2018, 11:35 AM
I do quite a lot of Game of Throne braided half updos to keep my hair out of my face - Daenerys in the earlier seasons has some styles that don't use up to much hair.

SilVousPlaits and Kayley Melissa do YouTube tutorials for loads of them - they do tend to use hair ties but I'd say they could be held with pins or a barrette.

There are also a variety of ways to do a half crown braid eg. Fishtail, English, Four Strand etc.

cjk
June 14th, 2018, 11:58 AM
As some of you may know, I'm getting married soon (in 51 days!), and I want to do my hair myself.

So, any ideas? I'm quite good at braiding, so it doesn't need to be easy to do, as long as it doesn't require another person to help.

What is the theme of your wedding? What does your gown look like? The whole look must be considered.

The way you've described what you want, I'm thinking crown braid. But as a nerd I'd be remiss if I didn't point out some of the fabulous hairdos in both Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Lots of inspiration in both franchises.

SallySue
June 14th, 2018, 12:18 PM
First of all, congratulations! Second, you could try the same method you used for the rag curls (i assume you slept in them with damp hair?) but with a larger circumference. Someone on here used toilet paper rolls as rollers on the ends, producing soft, buoyant curls.

Aveda "Air Control" hairspray is what I used at my wedding and it worked pretty well. Active ingredient is flax, and it smells great. I shaped my curls with wand (which I do not recommend but is very popular here) and eventually they fell out of shape, but overnight heartless curls might hold up better.

nycelle
June 14th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Oooh.. Huge Congrats, you must be so excited!!

Here's a video I bookmarked, it shows four ways to do various kinds of waves, excellent video. My favorite, and the one I think would look lovely on your wedding day is the way she does "Twists." Very pretty, soft and natural looking waves.

https://youtu.be/fqT60YSg74E

prairie lark
June 14th, 2018, 12:48 PM
.... 51 days!....

Best wishes to you!

I really love Victorian curls (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ZgOhopgL8), but it's not my day:o. Maybe try sectioning your hair into 3 or 4 cinnabuns over night, for bun waves?

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHLGN7QrEss) is lovely and summery

lapushka
June 14th, 2018, 02:58 PM

I'm currently about half-way between mid-thigh and knee (this is what it looked like in March (https://imgur.com/EN6uit3), and I trimmed most of the growth that happened since them), so I really want to take advantage of the full length and to show it off.

I'm thinking of curling the ends a bit, but I need to find a good way to to it. So far, I've only tried Victorian rag curls, but they worked a little too well (https://imgur.com/beXPxYH) - and it was really uncomfortable to sleep - and I want something softer, more like waves. My hair is naturally wavy, but I can't really count on that as the waves vary a lot from day to day. Also, I'm not sure if I should use some kind of product to make sure they hold for the entire day (I normally don't use any products).

I also want to do something braided and stylish with the top to keep it out of my face, but I don't know what. I have a comb, a 5 cm claw clip and a barrette, so the style can use either of those (or hidden pins). I only want the top to be braided as I want to keep as much thickness as possible in my ends, since they're quite thin.

That is *very* pretty. How about a very simple half-up with curled up ends? And then a sort of tiara or flower crown on top. I would experiment with curling the ends a bit.

My mom uses my curl enhancing smoothie on her 1b/c hair and then a little gel, before she roller sets her hair. She does so every time after washing her hair. The smoothie + gel give her hair great hold. Might be worth it to try it. You don't need much; especially if you are only curling the very ends, just a pea to a tiny coin size, spread through palms and smooshed or scrunched in, will do - same amount of gel!

MlleMC
June 14th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the various suggestions, I'll look them all up when I have time.

What is the theme of your wedding? What does your gown look like? The whole look must be considered.

The way you've described what you want, I'm thinking crown braid. But as a nerd I'd be remiss if I didn't point out some of the fabulous hairdos in both Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Lots of inspiration in both franchises.

There's no theme to the wedding, it will be a fairly simple affair. I chose my dress taking into account the fact that I wanted to wear my hair down, so there's nothing on the back that will be hidden. The top is lace though, with a fairly high neckline.

Best wishes to you!

I really love Victorian curls (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ZgOhopgL8), but it's not my day:o. Maybe try sectioning your hair into 3 or 4 cinnabuns over night, for bun waves?

This (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHLGN7QrEss) is lovely and summery

I also love Victorian curls, but considering the tangled mess that my previous experience made, I'm a little hesitant to try them again. The cinnabuns could work though, I'll have to try them.

I absolutely love the style in that video, and I saw that there are other beautiful styles on that channel. Thanks a lot!

Anastasia Hope
June 14th, 2018, 11:22 PM
OH WOW your hair is GORGEOUS

enting
June 16th, 2018, 01:46 PM
Will you be wearing a veil and do you want to take that into account when deciding on a style?

As for braided and stylish at the top to keep it out of your face, my go-to for that is lace braiding or lace roping the area that would be where one has bangs. You could braid or rope that section of hair all the way down and turn it either into a headband by looping it under the rest of your hair, or a coronet by looping it around over your hair. You could also loop it part of the way around like the beginning of a coronet braid and just coil the length into a bun at the back. You could use your comb to hold the bun in place.

It's so interesting what aspects of wedding wear are hard to figure out. For my wedding I had no clue what style dress I wanted and spent forever trying to pick something, but I knew *exactly* how I wanted my hair.

littlestarface
June 16th, 2018, 01:48 PM
What about that style that estrid has in her avatar? I think that would be so pretty. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=146718&p=3562118&viewfull=1#post3562118

Robot Ninja
June 16th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Have you tried bandanna waves? I've done them using two pigtails and got nice loose waves. Of course, you'd probably need something longer than a bandanna; I used strips of fabric left over from sewing projects, but I'm sure you can find some suitable pieces of cloth.

As for styles, cascade braids are always pretty, and can be fastened with a barrette or bobby pins.

MlleMC
June 18th, 2018, 09:36 AM
So I tried to get waves with three buns. It worked, but I think I'd like something a little more 'spirally'.

Will you be wearing a veil and do you want to take that into account when deciding on a style?

As for braided and stylish at the top to keep it out of your face, my go-to for that is lace braiding or lace roping the area that would be where one has bangs. You could braid or rope that section of hair all the way down and turn it either into a headband by looping it under the rest of your hair, or a coronet by looping it around over your hair. You could also loop it part of the way around like the beginning of a coronet braid and just coil the length into a bun at the back. You could use your comb to hold the bun in place.

It's so interesting what aspects of wedding wear are hard to figure out. For my wedding I had no clue what style dress I wanted and spent forever trying to pick something, but I knew *exactly* how I wanted my hair.

No, I won't be wearing a veil.

For me it was the opposite. I knew exactly what style of dress I wanted, and I had it ordered just a week after getting engaged! I do however have a vague idea of how I want my hair, just nothing specific.

Have you tried bandanna waves? I've done them using two pigtails and got nice loose waves. Of course, you'd probably need something longer than a bandanna; I used strips of fabric left over from sewing projects, but I'm sure you can find some suitable pieces of cloth.

As for styles, cascade braids are always pretty, and can be fastened with a barrette or bobby pins.

I still have the fabric strips (from bedsheets) that I used to try Victorian rag curls, but I'm not sure about the look of bandana waves.

I like cascade and lace braids a lot, but since I wear them fairly often to accent various styles, I feel like I should get something a little fancier.