PDA

View Full Version : I'm gonna do something super extra

softheartedandl
June 12th, 2018, 07:11 PM
So after chopping my classic (or almost classic) hair to mid-back in October 2016, I've been itching to get back my length. Now because I'm an HSP and super paranoid I'm going to type up my entire hair care routine step by step and I would reaaaaaaally appreciate it if anyone could let me know if I'm doing something that might be damaging to my hair. I know this is way over-the-top and paranoid but I just feel like I need to have someone double check this. I know everyone's hair is different and something that works wonderfully for me my be horrible for one of y'all, but I feel like if I do this I might have a whole lot of weight lifted off my shoulders (as long as that weight that's lifted off isn't my hair :laugh:)

To start off, I wash and condition my hair every other day. I know this seems like a lot to most of you but this is what works best for me. My hair gets oily very quickly and it leads to a very itchy and gross and flaky scalp. So every other day works for me. I only use shampoos and conditioners that have no sulfates, etc etc that whole spiel. I also do an ACV rinse once a week or so to help get rid of the build-up. I also do a fermented rice water treatment on my hair once a week by massaging FRW into my scalp and letting it soak in my hair for twenty minutes or so before washing it out.

I wash at night and let it air-dry. If it dries before it's time for bed I'll braid it, if not I'll just sleep with it down.

On nights I don't wash my hair I de-tangle it either with finger combing or a wide-tooth comb. Then I brush through it with a boar bristle brush from the scalp to the tips. Then I do a mini oil treatment with either coconut oil, avocado oil, or sweet almond oil. I do this but take a little bit of oil (not so much that it would make my hair look gross the next day) and focus first on my ends. Then I'll run the rest that's left over on my hands through the shaft of my hair. Then I'll braid it in a loose braid to keep it from getting tangled in my sleep and head to bed.

If I'm going somewhere with second day hair I'll almost always use my coco powder/cornstarch mixture as dry shampoo. (If you're blond you can just use cornstarch, but if there are any brunettes reading this, the coco powder will make your hair smell amazing! also, using this on my hair gives me great volume, which can be a problem for me since my hair is naturally straight)

I do a coconut oil treatment once a month and leave it in for 3-8 hours depending on how much time I have that day or if I have anything to do.

Well that's pretty much it. Once again I want to apologize for such a lengthy, weird post but I don't have anyone else near me who knows anything about hair care. It's all heat tools and bad chemicals with them and nobody really understands. Growing up, all I ever really got complemented on was my hair so I'm kind of desperate to have it as nice as I can.

SeRe
June 12th, 2018, 09:23 PM
Your routine seems fine to me. Happy growing! :)

Alissalocks
June 12th, 2018, 09:46 PM
I agree, sounds like you've got a good routine going. Are you experiencing any specific problems?

ChloeDharma
June 13th, 2018, 12:59 AM
Your routine sounds excellent. If I were being super picky and paranoid then maybe the frequent washing could pose a problem with hygral fatigue BUT you need to prioritise scalp health. If you develop a problem as you gain length you could maybe work out a way to soak your length in coconut oil for longer (a heavier application of it) to reduce the stress on the older length from the repeated expansion and contraction of the shaft from the water.
That said, I really am just saying that as you asked what could pose a problem potentially and am being super picky. The routine does sound wonderful though and I certainly wouldn't want to suggest washing your scalp less as I've come to appreciate more frequent scalp washing myself in recent years.

Five of Five
June 13th, 2018, 02:21 AM
Sounds great to me! With the frequent washing, it might be a good idea to avoid combing it or brushing it while wet if at all possible, if your hair tends to be on the delicate side.

MusicalSpoons
June 13th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Sounds great! My hair is envious after reading your routine :wink:

The only advice I could give is if you feel your lengths don't need washing as often as your scalp, (especially at longer lengths, like ChloeDharma mentioned) ou could try scalp washing :) and wearing it up in protective styles using non-damaging accessories for maximum hair health.

softheartedandl
June 27th, 2018, 06:12 PM
Thanks everyone! Sorry for late replies, but I just got back from vacation. Idk how people feel about this, but I pretty much only ever wash my scalp. I never really wash the length of my hair besides letting the suds I rinse from my scalp descend down it as I rinse all the shampoo out. And I NEVER brush or comb my hair when it's wet! Anyway, thank you all for replying! I know this was super out-there and probably not at all necessary but it did help quell my paranoia. Thanks again!

Julescarm
June 27th, 2018, 09:49 PM
Your routine is almost mine down to a T. Only I don't use cornstarch and was my hair every 3-4 days and coconut oil treatments every week if I remember. Scalp massages are relaxing to me.