PDA

View Full Version : Coloring Question

nycelle
June 12th, 2018, 11:12 AM
For those of you that color your hair darker (not henna but regular dye), have you noticed much damage?

I want to go one shade darker, and it does require a little lift, but I was told by people I spoke with that the worst that will happen is my hair may feel drier for a couple of weeks, and to just deep condition to get it back to normal.

What have your experiences been by going darker? Have you ruined your hair? Has it caused breakage, dryness?

I don't think I can wait much longer to color. It's been a few years now and I'm very bored of my color, especially now that the greys are coming in, I'd really love to go medium auburn...

Margarita
June 12th, 2018, 11:42 AM
I dye my hair black now. Last time i dyed my hair was 3 months ago, using an organic hair dye by Korres. Since 3 months have passed, i have no damage at all =) I dont think organic dyes damage your hair, the one i use has argan oil in it. As for dryness, my hair is super soft silky. I dont have to use conditioner after the hair dye because it seriously gets amazing. Dying your hair a shade darker will suit you for sure! Your hair is pretty =D

MidnightMoon
June 12th, 2018, 11:49 AM
I don't think it causes excessive damage itself, but my problem was that the colour I really wanted didn't last long. Just in the first couple of washes it became a tad lighter, and so on, so it didn't make much sense to damage it just a bit every two or three months just to have the exact shade I wanted for a week. Also, you will always have roots of a different colour, and that bothered me a lot. I wanted jet black near my face more than anywhere else, and because of shampooing it's where it faded the quickest. If you use a regular box dye I'd recommend using a deposit dye (or however they're called) between the normal box dyes. It's more work but it will keep the colour more vibrant, won't damage your hair and sticks better to hair that's been at least slightly bleached (which I believe applies to all dye boxes, even if just using the lowest amount).

MoonRabbit
June 12th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Well it has been a few years since I have gone darker. I always dyed my hair a dark espresso brown, the problem I had was that it began to fade quickly. Any darker dye I used would always begin to turn more reddish brown after a while. I envied people that only needed to touch up the new growth because if I needed to touch up, it was my whole head all over again to cover up the red.

Last dye job I did was a semi dark purple, in 2014 i believe, and I still have a demarcation half of my hair is still really red from where it faded.

And yet I still think about dying even though I know how it will turn out weeks after.

nycelle
June 12th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Thanks everyone.

I won't be doing it myself. Much like I don't trust myself to cut my own hair, I don't trust myself to get the color I want with a box dye either.

I think all color fades with oxidation, but for esspresso brown to fade into more of a red is odd. I would think it would just become a lighter brown? Do you have natural red in your hair?

Cybercat
June 12th, 2018, 03:15 PM
I go to Sally's beauty to get all my eye supplies. They have a after dye product from Ion. It's a dealer you put on after rinsing out dye. You put it on let it sit 5 mins rinse it out. Works great leaves hair soft and color let longer. I also use their color protect shampoo and conditioner from BioTera Color Care. My color last good 6 to 8 weeks as long as I am not in spring growth stage. I don't get any breakage either. I use their Ion color with 20% developer. I have gray roots and do a dark brown to a dark burgandy. About to dye my today a dark mohagany. They have a club card which is real good for savings.

lapushka
June 12th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Personally I have never experienced any negative side-effects from using box dye, not a shade lighter and not a shade darker (more than 1 shade lighter or darker with a store bought box dye, I would not recommend). If you follow these rules with regular box dyes, there's no issue, IMMHO; well, there wasn't for me.

(It's when I started messing with henna and bleach that I ran into serious issues.)

You'll be fine.

I also never experienced dryer ends, but this was at a time that my hair didn't surpass BSL!

GrowlingCupcake
June 12th, 2018, 07:27 PM
I dye my hair, and I use 'hi-lift' box colours. My hair does feel a bit damaged right after, but if I baby it a little bit, it's perfectly fine. I have the same issue with being bored with my hair colour.

For me, coconut oil, and conditioner fix the issues. My ends are dry, but they've always been dry, and with a bit of leave-in oil/conditioner/salve, that's no longer an issue.

Reyn127
June 12th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Years ago when I was dyeing my hair a few shades darker, I never noticed any extreme damage from it. My ends were definitely drier from it, but I didn't really care about it. The thing that made me stop though was actually how it faded, it always looked fine for a few washes but then some brassiness started showing. Even when I made sure to use the so called "cool" toned dyes, there was always a bit of red leftover as it faded. Which would have been fine, but the warm tones looked odd with my skin tone.

Alissalocks
June 12th, 2018, 10:49 PM
Make sure to avoid products with PPD.

I go black with indigo, a plant based dye and non damaging, but that may be darker and more commitment than you're thinking of. :flower:

nycelle
June 13th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Thanks for your thoughts ladies, I appreciate it.

MoonRabbit
June 13th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Years ago when I was dyeing my hair a few shades darker, I never noticed any extreme damage from it. My ends were definitely drier from it, but I didn't really care about it. The thing that made me stop though was actually how it faded, it always looked fine for a few washes but then some brassiness started showing. Even when I made sure to use the so called "cool" toned dyes, there was always a bit of red leftover as it faded. Which would have been fine, but the warm tones looked odd with my skin tone.

Thanks everyone.

I won't be doing it myself. Much like I don't trust myself to cut my own hair, I don't trust myself to get the color I want with a box dye either.

I think all color fades with oxidation, but for esspresso brown to fade into more of a red is odd. I would think it would just become a lighter brown? Do you have natural red in your hair?

Just like the above. Dark dye fades to a brassy red. I do have a natural hint of red undertone to my hair but nothing to the extreme that a dye leaves my hair in a week or so. But I was using box dye, I'm sure a professional would know what to do to not make that happen. Good luck and have fun with your new color.