PDA

View Full Version : what can i do about straight hair on top and curly underneath??

jess_
June 11th, 2018, 03:54 PM
First of all, sorry if this is a thread somewhere else, but I'm really seeking advice. On the underside of my hair, it curls/waves really pretty. The top layer of hair kind of straightens with a very slight wave and just looks dumb. How can I get my top layer of hair to match the underside? I'd rather a long term solution rather than short term like styling products. I think it looks bad. Both pictures are naturally dried hair. http://i67.tinypic.com/sb7v3o.jpg - this picture you can see my curls/waves. http://i67.tinypic.com/124kc43.jpg - this picture shows the top layer that covers those waves. Send help. Is there anything I can do that won't require me to cut my hair?

lapushka
June 11th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Looks like you have a 1b/c texture, to me; and it's pretty normal looking to me too.

I think there's nothing you can do, it's just how your hair lays. :)

MoonRabbit
June 11th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Do you heat style? Heat can damage your natural wave texture and make it appear more loose and straight. When I stopped the heat. My under layer recovered much faster, while my top layer took awhile to get the waves back.

You can try doing a wavy/curly routine. Maybe try scrunching and plopping after showering to up your wave pattern.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 11th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Mine is the same way. I don't think there's anything to be done about it, it's just the way it is :)
And I have never done heat styling. Well, not for 14 years....

jess_
June 11th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Do you heat style? Heat can damage your natural wave texture and make it appear more loose and straight. When I stopped the heat. My under layer recovered much faster, while my top layer took awhile to get the waves back.

You can try doing a wavy/curly routine. Maybe try scrunching and plopping after showering to up your wave pattern.

i straighten my hair from time to time but i don't do it too often. i wear it up a lot though since i work out regularly. i will try the scrunch/plop method though!

lapushka
June 11th, 2018, 04:54 PM
i straighten my hair from time to time but i don't do it too often. i wear it up a lot though since i work out regularly. i will try the scrunch/plop method though!

If you do that, might want to also try some styling products. Take a look at the LOC/LCO method for styling; the link is in my signature. HTH! Good luck with the new method.

Luna Starsetta
June 12th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Id try deep conditioning weekly for at least 20inutes for a few months see if that improves anything. I know it helped my curls bounce back!

lapushka
June 12th, 2018, 09:49 AM
I OTOH got the impression that the OP got annoyed by the curly layer on the bottom and that she thought it was abnormal.

Trust me, it is your natural texture. If you don't want to deal with that, that's a shame, but it is not bad or abnormal or wrong in any way, and there are things you can do to enhance it all over, rather than straighten it. :flower:

Hairkay
June 12th, 2018, 10:20 AM
I OTOH got the impression that the OP got annoyed by the curly layer on the bottom and that she thought it was abnormal.

Trust me, it is your natural texture. If you don't want to deal with that, that's a shame, but it is not bad or abnormal or wrong in any way, and there are things you can do to enhance it all over, rather than straighten it. :flower:

Well from what I see, she has described her under layer as pretty. That's the curly bit. Her top layer is straight and she wants it curly like the rest of her hair.

It might be that she has more than 1 hair type. She could also try out the curly girl method to see if this helps.

neko_kawaii
June 12th, 2018, 10:33 AM
I have a similar mix of hair types. Nothing is going to make my upper canopy curl or wave more on its own. However, my hair holds curls/waves well, and if OP is the same, I’d suggest looking into heatless methods. Rope braid waves are very close to the natural texture of my undercoat, so if I wanted all my hair to look the same, I’d damp rope braid it and take the braid out carefully.