PDA

View Full Version : Hair Tieless/Pinless/Stickless just hair updos

Shepherdess
June 11th, 2018, 11:17 AM
Does anyone else do these? As my hair has grown longer, it has been harder for me to use anything in my hair without it pulling and hurting, because my hair is heavy, though I have found that certain hairstyles and updos that don't require anything to hold them in place have been the gentlest on my scalp. Plus they are the only style that will hold up for me all day or longer in my hair!! :) I first started out by doing this one that I found on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ms8ODU42k&feature=youtu.be), but then slowly have been changing them up and doing my own thing. I only have pictures of the more recent one I made up, though next time I do the other one I could try taking a picture.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32211&d=1528735608

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32212&d=1528735629

Does anybody else do this? Would love a thread where anyone can share more pictures and ideas!!! :)

MusicalSpoons
June 11th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Beauuuuutiful! My hair is wimpy and absolutely cannot stay up without mechanical reassurance At. All! I do admire (and slightly envy) those whose hair can hold itself together :grin:

AmaryllisRed
June 11th, 2018, 02:03 PM
I only have one but I need more!
The only one I can do is a knot bun on top of my head. I just twist and twist like a bee butt and then once I have just a few inches left, I push them up through the center. The tail sticking out the top isn't flattering but it works in a pinch.

prairie lark
June 11th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Lovely style, Shepherdess. Without at least one stick, my hair is stubbornly updon't.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 11th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Wow, so lovely Shepherdess! How did you do that? I haven't yet found a pinless style which will hold for me (hair just slithers right out) and I wish I could.

neko_kawaii
June 11th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Shepherdess, do you have a tutorial for your own variation?

Interlaced braids work great for me, no absolute need to tie off the braids. A Nautilus will hold well enough without a stick, but not during more than a brisk walk.

In theory, Amish Braids and the Elingwoman's Bun should also require no tools.

Shepherdess
June 11th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Beauuuuutiful! My hair is wimpy and absolutely cannot stay up without mechanical reassurance At. All! I do admire (and slightly envy) those whose hair can hold itself together :grin:
Thank you!! :o :flower: Aw, bummer. My hair tends to be really slippery a lot of times, so the only way that has worked for me is weaving braids together basically, although it might stay in partly due to the length, I'm not sure what would happen with lengths above classic. :hmm: Using hairtoys are so lovely too though. :)

I only have one but I need more!
The only one I can do is a knot bun on top of my head. I just twist and twist like a bee butt and then once I have just a few inches left, I push them up through the center. The tail sticking out the top isn't flattering but it works in a pinch.
Oh, those top knot buns are so cute!!! I never have been able to figure out how to do them in such a way that they stay, but I really think they are so cute on other people!!!! :D

Lovely style, Shepherdess. Without at least one stick, my hair is stubbornly updon't.
Thank you, prairie lark!! :o :blossom: Aw, well hair sticks are really lovely too!!! :)

Shepherdess
June 11th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Wow, so lovely Shepherdess! How did you do that? I haven't yet found a pinless style which will hold for me (hair just slithers right out) and I wish I could.
Thank you, Sarah!! :flowers: I tried to make a video, though I couldn't get the camera on my phone propped the right way so part of it is missed/docked off at the top. Basically I separated two small sections from the sides of my hair, then braid my main length and then braid the two separated sides, then I wrap the main part as you would to make a nautilus bun, but instead of putting a hair stick through it I stuck my finger through to make an opening, and then I pulled one of the side braids through, and then I pulled the other one through the same way, then I pull both of them until snug and the bun is tightened, next I wrap them around my bun (I make sure to slide them under the two side braids that already were woven through the bun when I am wrapping them around just so they don't slide off the top) and then I pull them through the nautilus bun again just like at the beginning. I keep repeating this until I only have a little bit of hair left and then I tuck the ends underneath. :)
Here is the video that I tried to make, it didn't turn out, though maybe I could try making another video later on if I am able to get someone's help recording it lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vecAIavk9Q&feature=youtu.be

Sarahlabyrinth
June 11th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Thank you, Sarah!! :flowers: I tried to make a video, though I couldn't get the camera on my phone propped the right way so part of it is missed/docked off at the top. Basically I separated two small sections from the sides of my hair, then braid my main length and then braid the two separated sides, then I wrap the main part as you would to make a nautilus bun, but instead of putting a hair stick through it I stuck my finger through to make an opening, and then I pulled one of the side braids through, and then I pulled the other one through the same way, then I pull both of them until snug and the bun is tightened, next I wrap them around my bun (I make sure to slide them under the two side braids that already were woven through the bun when I am wrapping them around just so they don't slide off the top) and then I pull them through the nautilus bun again just like at the beginning. I keep repeating this until I only have a little bit of hair left and then I tuck the ends underneath. :)
Here is the video that I tried to make, it didn't turn out, though maybe I could try making another video later on if I am able to get someone's help recording it lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vecAIavk9Q&feature=youtu.be

Thank you, the explanation on its own was easy to understand and the video was lovely to see. Unfortunately braids take so long for me to do that this style wouldn't be practical for me. I will just have to try and find a suitable tieless pinless non-braided style that my hair might like :)

lapushka
June 11th, 2018, 05:11 PM
I have found that the longer my hair gets (as of hip I could do buns), the looser I can do my LWB, and that is the key to it not hurting and being more comfortable (for me).

I can't do something pinless, but I have noticed that when I take out my fork at night, that my bun stays on its own. Still it would not last long that way, because after a while it does come undone. :)

lithostoic
June 11th, 2018, 05:20 PM
My hair would never. Even an accent braid unravels in minutes if not secured.

lithostoic
June 11th, 2018, 05:22 PM

Updon't XD love it

trolleypup
June 11th, 2018, 08:08 PM
Heh! Updon't!

In a pinch...and how often are you completely bereft of an improvised hairstick or elastic? I can do an ugly self-secured bee-butt good enough for a
good long hot spring soak.

Aredhel
June 11th, 2018, 08:11 PM
I can't even fathom my hair being able to do this, my hair even slips out of hairsticks sometimes.:lol: This is SO cool though!

AmaryllisRed
June 11th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Updon't! Adorable. <3

Shepherdess, that's a great description and it's now on my to-try list.
I keep meaning to try interlaced braids, too.

Spikey
June 11th, 2018, 09:25 PM
That looks awesome Shepardess!

Mine isn't really long enough to support itself like that yet, but I am fond of Celtic knots if I don't have any pins around. When I get it right, my hair is out of my face and it's a nice looking half-up anyway.

lithostoic
June 12th, 2018, 05:53 AM
I can't even fathom my hair being able to do this, my hair even slips out of hairsticks sometimes.:lol: This is SO cool though!

This exactly!

littlestarface
June 12th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Well I was inspired by this thread and also tried this type of style so I followed haartraum amish bun yesterday afternoon but left out the amish pins I only used 2 silicone rubber bands to tie the ends of the braids and its the next day and its still up after a nights sleep. The ends haven't even came out of the bun,my bangs are still in the braid. I'm gonna do this everyday now so my hair will be safe. Thank you for making this thread shepherdess.

After I made the braids and the bun itself.
https://i.imgur.com/poTiX3C.png
https://i.imgur.com/CKx3Xtj.jpg

Khristopher
June 12th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Shepherdess, littlestarface, gorgeous updos! :heartbeat
When my hair is longer than classic I'm able to do pretzel (knot?)buns and bee-butt buns that hold themselves pretty well and are super comfortable. Braids also hold well without elastics, but I prefer to secure them because they stay neater. I've tried the elling woman updo but I couln't get it to stay... maybe I've done it wrong or need more practice. I'm gonna have to try Shepherdess updo as well!

Reyn127
June 12th, 2018, 06:30 PM
My hair will hold a nautilus bun pretty well on its own. Also I can make braids stay if I dip the ends in water and give them all a little twist together. I haven't tried much else more complicated, but I think you're on to something with how these styles really don't pull as much.

Agabeth
June 13th, 2018, 11:11 AM
My hair will hold a nautilus bun pretty well on its own. Also I can make braids stay if I dip the ends in water and give them all a little twist together. I haven't tried much else more complicated, but I think you're on to something with how these styles really don't pull as much.

That's brilliant! I've never thought to use water to hold my braid ends. I have to try this.

MlleMC
June 14th, 2018, 09:51 AM
The only entirely pinless updo that I know how to do is a nautilus bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVkg9TJDrL4). When done right, it can hold for a full day. It's a really practical style to know when you don't have any accessories with you and need to quickly put your hair up. It does take a certain length to work though, especially with thicker hair.