PDA

View Full Version : Hair Length and Bun/Updo Variations

MoonRabbit
June 10th, 2018, 06:26 PM
Reading other posts on this forum, I have come across many members saying which buns they can and can not do due to length and or thickness. I find it very interesting when I see someone with type ii mbl/waist length hair that can't do certain buns that I was able to do at that length. Does stand thickness ago play a part in this? I know the fine and slippery hair may have an issue with buns falling out.

So at what lengths did you finally unlock a certain bun?

For me, I have 2.5 circumference, medium strands. I started my growth at bsl but didn't get into bunning until mbl.

At midback length, I was able to do.
LWB
Nautilus
disc
orchid
infinity/figure 8
treble clef
cinnabun ( though I could never get it to hold with just a stick..and still can't with bcl now)

Sadly I haven't really played around with any other types as I've grown past 3 other markers.. but my braids now fully wrap around my head for some interesting updos!

Rowdy
June 10th, 2018, 07:45 PM
I have very coarse hair that is between 3.8" - 4" depending on the time of year. I haven't tried out that many buns.

BSL 26" - I could only do a ponytail base 1 loop cinnabun and a lazy wrap but it was painfully tight and unwearable. (I probably could have been able to do a disc bun but I didn't know of it then)

MBL 28" - At 28 - 30 " I could do a no ponytail cinnabun held with a fork, a lazy wrap held with a stick and a disc bun with a stick. At this point buns no longer hurt but still weren't that comfortable.

WL 32" - This unlocked the nautilus! At first only held with forks but after layers grew out sticks as well. Cinnabun held up with only a stick was unlocked at this point as well which was very exciting.

Current 33 - 34" - This made the lazy wrap unstable so I do the double wrap one now. I have tried both the celtic knot and the figure 8 and need about 4 more inches at least for both. (I know this because I can make them if I do double buns)

JennGalt
June 10th, 2018, 07:52 PM
I really only did cinnabuns, braids, and ponytails until I found the LHC at just past WL. Nothing really worked well/to my liking at that point except the LWB and the cinnabun. A few inches longer after trimming two-ish inches of thin ends has made a massive difference. Now at HL I can do the Nautilus (no hair toy needed), the Chameleon bun, the Nessa, the Beebutt, the Spock, and one version of the Maki bun. Torrin Paige posted a tutorial for her simple wrap bun after I hit HL, and it has become my go-to style. And of course the LWB and the cinnabun still work.

ETA: the LWB now requires two sticks or a fork instead of a single stick. It started to become unstable at HL for me too.

Haven't tried wrapping braids around my head; I don't really think it would suit me. The Orchid bun continues to evade me, and I really want to try the Helix bun, but I need much more length.

cailinbee
June 10th, 2018, 07:56 PM
I only got to my first "checkpoint" so to speak at around APL, (about 23", ii, F) but I found I can do the following:

-Lazy wrap bun It's a little tight but it works and holds
-Disc bun this one works the best!
-Pha bun (it holds great but looks a little funny due to the lack of wraparound)

leayellena
June 11th, 2018, 04:05 AM
at bra strap: beebutt bun
at mid-back, waist and hip length: the nautlius, the cinnabun, the lwb, the figure 8
at hip length buns start to look like buns, but I can't do the figure 8 without securing it with a hair tie or scrunchie
at bcl: nautilus on the whole hand.

MoonRabbit
June 11th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Oh how did I forget about the Spock bun. I wear it everyday. I leaned about it around waist+ and that' when I started doing it, but I am sure I could have done it at shorter lengths as well.

I was doing a whole hand nautilus at mbl. Never felt comfortable with 2 or 3 fingers..So that is very interesting you could only do it at bcl.

Corvana
June 11th, 2018, 11:10 PM
Reading other posts on this forum, I have come across many members saying which buns they can and can not do due to length and or thickness. I find it very interesting when I see someone with type ii mbl/waist length hair that can't do certain buns that I was able to do at that length. Does stand thickness ago play a part in this? I know the fine and slippery hair may have an issue with buns falling out.

So at what lengths did you finally unlock a certain bun?

For me, I have 2.5 circumference, medium strands. I started my growth at bsl but didn't get into bunning until mbl.

At midback length, I was able to do.
LWB
Nautilus
disc
orchid
infinity/figure 8
treble clef
cinnabun ( though I could never get it to hold with just a stick..and still can't with bcl now)

Sadly I haven't really played around with any other types as I've grown past 3 other markers.. but my braids now fully wrap around my head for some interesting updos!

My circ fluctuates between 9 and 9.5cm, and my hair is on the medium side of fine. I'm at upper BSL now (24.5"~), and I can do:

A very comfortable disc bun
A cinnabun/beebutt (because it's still just the main coil, the rest tucks under like a beebutt), that I can hold with a stick sometimes
A semi too-tight nautilus

Before about APL I could do:

A semi too-tight disc bun
A cinnabun/beebutt with a scrunchie.

katydid317
July 30th, 2018, 03:32 PM
I'm still struggling to do any buns with mine and I'm just below bsl. Maybe it's thickness but also maybe the layers at the bottom? I can do a cinnabun but it has to be held with a hair band.

lithostoic
July 30th, 2018, 06:13 PM
I'm close to hip and I can just now get a full-hand wrap lwb to stay securely and comfortably. My hair loses an inch of pony circumference halfway down where my bleach starts.

CopperButterfly
July 31st, 2018, 06:54 AM
This is a fun interesting thread. Helps me know ascot when I can expect to do more buns. Atm I've got about 26" of length and a 4 inch ponytail circumfrance. I can only do a disc bun reliably, I can almost do a lwb. Nothing else has remotely worked.

AutobotsAttack
July 31st, 2018, 08:21 AM
It depends on your hair density, and possibly hair texture.

Even at TBL the only styles I can do comfortably that will stay are:

LWB
Nautilus (can only use two fingers)
Cinnabun

When my hair is completely dry and fluffy my circumference is upwards of 6 inches. If it’s damp or compressed down with products it can go all the way down to 2”. Even then it really doesn’t matter because I have curled hair.

I don’t think I’ll be able to do others like:

Spock bun
Nautilus (whole hand)
Rose
Cameo
Disc
Etc...

Until I’m at least Classic length or FTL

samanthaa
July 31st, 2018, 09:53 AM
Really the only bun that ever "clicked" for me after a certain length was the cinnabun, which only starting holding for me about a year ago past hip.

I do like the double-wrapped LWB which needs some length, but I don't think I tried it for the first time until I had appropriate length...probably approaching BCL.

I've been able to do a nautilus for a while now, probably since waist.

I have fine hair measuring 2.5" in circumference.