PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to grow long hair when you have got sebhoreic dermatitis?

Crazylazy34
June 10th, 2018, 05:18 PM
So basically I have sebhoreic dermatitis, due to bad health, infrequent hair care and bad hair care. I used to be able to grow my hair out long just down to my hips and since I have developed this I can no longer do that and my hair seems to be taking a lot longer to grow. Is there anyway I can surely cure the spots on my head and be able to grow it out again ?

MusicalSpoons
June 10th, 2018, 05:42 PM
If you can get it under control with medicated shampoo, and then keep it under control with improved hair care habits, then yes absolutely you can grow long! One member who springs to mind is lapushka who has recently reached classic length, and there are many others on here with SD who are happily growing away :)

Jo Ann
June 10th, 2018, 09:09 PM
Sure is! And there's a SD Support thread, too: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54045

You can thank me later :flower:

lapushka
June 11th, 2018, 04:43 AM
So basically I have sebhoreic dermatitis, due to bad health, infrequent hair care and bad hair care. I used to be able to grow my hair out long just down to my hips and since I have developed this I can no longer do that and my hair seems to be taking a lot longer to grow. Is there anyway I can surely cure the spots on my head and be able to grow it out again ?

I have SD too, and have just hit classic length, like MusicalSpoons just said. :)

I do wash with sulfates in between bouts as I find keeping my scalp squeaky clean helps *hugely* in keeping me from having to use my medicated shampoo too often, which is Nizoral 2% (12 euro for a 100ml bottle).

You do have to get a grasp on your condition, though.

Have you been to a dermatologist for it? I gather you have because otherwise you wouldn't have a diagnosis. But how's the treatment going? :flower:

I would check out the SD support thread, and continue the conversation there!

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 11th, 2018, 11:27 PM
I have SD but I wouldn’t consider my hair long, by any means.

Beeboo123
June 11th, 2018, 11:52 PM
I was an inch away from classic. Not crazy long by LHC standards, but decently long. I don’t even have to use medicated shampoos anymore (I was on Nizoral many years back). I used to shampoo once or twice daily with a sulfate shampoo, but that didn’t stop it from growing long. I’ve switched to cowashing, and I still don’t get any flare ups. As long as I keep oils away from my scalp, I’m good =] As long as your condition is under control, gaining length shouldn’t be a problem at all

joiekimochi
June 12th, 2018, 12:45 AM
I had pretty bad SD a few years ago but I managed to hit hip length. I don't get flare ups very often any more, now that I've switched to gentler shampoos and keep conditioner away from my scalp. I found Selsun Yellow useful when I had the bad itchies, though!

lapushka
June 12th, 2018, 05:18 AM
I will say how we deal with it is very individual, and you have to experiment with that. Just don't use "regular" shampoo to *treat* it when you have it. Then you need a medicated shampoo, so please go see a dermatologist for that. How you cope in between "bouts" is up to your particular scalp.

mrsmushroom
July 22nd, 2018, 03:54 PM
I have severe plaque psoriasis on my scalp, which is real similar to SB. What really works for me is saltwater soaks in the bath and getting laser light therapy on my scalp twice a week. Doing that for ~4 months has me almost clear, though it is expensive ($30 per visit, even with good insurance). Maybe visit a dermatologist and ask about it?