PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to sulphate-free shampoo

SeRe
June 9th, 2018, 05:30 PM
Hello All,

In my previous threads I have posted that I am giving curly girl a fair chance, so for 2 weeks now I have given up sulphates and silicones.

I always use oil on my hair as a pre-conditioner overnight prior to washing out the next morning. I have noticed that the sulphate-free shampoo I am using is making my hair feel like straw. It does manage to get all the oil out in one wash but it's not soft like it was with sulphate shampoo.

The other issue is that my scalp becomes very oily the next day, faster than usual.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Do you have product recommendations for me? I want to give this a second chance before giving up.

I'm currently using Nature's Gate Daily Herbal Shampoo. If you have other recommendations that will be able to remove my hair oil (mix of sesame and coconut oil), please advise.

EDIT - I must add based on the responses so far that my scalp hates conditioner, so co-washing is not an option for me.

Also, I'm sorry that I am posting a lot of late and even starting new threads. I have noticed that whenever I post questions in existing threads, they don't get answered as much. Please excuse this, and let me know if there is any issue with starting new threads. This forum has helped me so much, I would hate to do something that annoys the mods or others.

Thank you all.

Jo Ann
June 9th, 2018, 05:46 PM
The thing that's taken me the longest to get used to with using a sulphate-free shampoo is the lack of suds.

I also don't use shampoo to remove oils from my hair--I slather conditioner on about 30 minutes before I wash my hair, rinse out the conditioner, then follow my usual routine.

littlestarface
June 9th, 2018, 05:52 PM
For me it was finding the right sulfate free shampoo. I used to use so many brands before and they never worked but now I found CHI and my hair and scalp love it. I also use conditioner before shampooing to remove oils first.

Arciela
June 9th, 2018, 07:24 PM
I had this issue for the longest time..I tried so many sulfate free shampoos, they all made my scalp super oily. It was only when I switched to Suave Clarifying conditioner and diluted it with water to wash my hair did it finally not only stop being oily...it actually takes over a week for it to get greasy now >.> Very weird, but I guess all it takes is finding the right shampoo/condish :flower:

SeRe
June 9th, 2018, 09:02 PM
The thing that's taken me the longest to get used to with using a sulphate-free shampoo is the lack of suds.

I also don't use shampoo to remove oils from my hair--I slather conditioner on about 30 minutes before I wash my hair, rinse out the conditioner, then follow my usual routine.

I just updated that my scalp doesn't do well with conditioner so co-washing is not an option for me.

SeRe
June 9th, 2018, 09:02 PM
For me it was finding the right sulfate free shampoo. I used to use so many brands before and they never worked but now I found CHI and my hair and scalp love it. I also use conditioner before shampooing to remove oils first.

I just updated that my scalp doesn't do well with conditioner so co-washing is not an option for me. Does CHI remove oil?

SeRe
June 9th, 2018, 09:03 PM
I had this issue for the longest time..I tried so many sulfate free shampoos, they all made my scalp super oily. It was only when I switched to Suave Clarifying conditioner and diluted it with water to wash my hair did it finally not only stop being oily...it actually takes over a week for it to get greasy now >.> Very weird, but I guess all it takes is finding the right shampoo/condish :flower:

I just updated that my scalp doesn't do well with conditioner so co-washing is not an option for me.

Did you try Suave shampoo?

Rowdy
June 9th, 2018, 09:52 PM
I found Nature's Gate to be incredibly drying and harsh, much more so than most sulfate shampoos I have used. L'oreal Everpure was pretty good and less harsh when I used the color care one but still made me over produce oil a bit. My favorite shampoo by far is Hask Keratin. I need way less and it is great with removing oil without leaving my hair with that 'first day stripped' feeling. If you can get some where you are it is worth a try!

lapushka
June 10th, 2018, 04:47 AM
Like Jo Ann says, less suds is something to get used to, *if* it suds less, some shampoos do, others don't.

OGX is also known to be drying. I wouldn't go with that one either.

I also got oilier faster with sulfate-free, but my scalp protested in more than that way though as it flared up my SD.

I would start by washing more, and if in the end you can't do sulfate-free, then go back to sulfates. If you have no issues with sulfates, then it is absolutely *fine* to use. I use them, I just double condition afterwards and it's fine for my wave pattern.

Katsura
June 10th, 2018, 05:19 AM
I've been trying to go sulphate free too recently. I keep my previous sles-washing liquid at hand, and now my routine has been one sles-wash in a week, and other times I've used sulphate free shampoo. I need to wash my hair more than once a week because my scalp gets easily irritated when I do something that causes sweating. Any head covering against uv-rays also can irritate my scalp.
I use small Finnish manufacturer's product, my previous product is also theirs. I've liked both so far. Each product costs less than 5€ a bottle.

nycelle
June 10th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Don't remember ever having an adjustment period. But in my case, sulfates irritate my scalp so no sulfates are an improvement.

Currently using Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture and Shine shampoo. It's sulfate and silicone free, and does not dry out my hair. Unfortunately, the conditioner from the same line is not silicone free.
On the higher end I've also used MorrocanOil Hydrating shampoo. I don't find it as moisturizing as Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla, but it's also much less heavy.

I will say when I switched to sulfate free, I need to shampoo twice. So my first wash is more of a pre-wash, and my second is when I really massage it into my scalp. I don't massage anything into my length, as it travels down anyway.
My scalp and hair get very clean this way. But it's a longer process.

There's another brand I just ordered from called INOAR Divine Curls (it's a Brazilian company). The shampoos is supposed to be "amazing." It's also sulfate and silicone free, and so is the conditioner.
I believe the shampoo is something like 12 bucks, so not the cheapest, but definitely not on the higher end either.

lapushka
June 10th, 2018, 07:41 AM
I think sulfate-free doesn't have to be expensive. The Hask line for instance is something I rave about even though I don't use it myself. I know people who use it, it's affordable and it is a luxury product for the price it's at. Shea Moisture is affordable, esp. if they go on BOGO, and also Maui Moisture, same deal.

I used to, when I first started taking care of my hair, dabble in more expensive products, only to find out with all of my experimenting (and I experimented a lot), that it doesn't make a difference whatsoever what you put on the hair. With that I mean, more expensive isn't necessarily better. I tried Jessicurl for instance and I am no longer spending 16 dollars on a darn rinse-out conditioner. That is for sure!

That is why I just stick to my cheaper drugstore products and why I am using so much of them up currently.

But YMMV.

Mind you I still pay quite the price for my styling products, but they go a long way, so it justifies the price to me. And for gel I use just about any gel or Eco Styler.

nycelle
June 10th, 2018, 07:59 AM
I think sulfate-free doesn't have to be expensive. The Hask line for instance is something I rave about even though I don't use it myself. I know people who use it, it's affordable and it is a luxury product for the price it's at. Shea Moisture is affordable, esp. if they go on BOGO, and also Maui Moisture, same deal.

I used to, when I first started taking care of my hair, dabble in more expensive products, only to find out with all of my experimenting (and I experimented a lot), that it doesn't make a difference whatsoever what you put on the hair. With that I mean, more expensive isn't necessarily better. I tried Jessicurl for instance and I am no longer spending 16 dollars on a darn rinse-out conditioner. That is for sure!

That is why I just stick to my cheaper drugstore products and why I am using so much of them up currently.

But YMMV.

Mind you I still pay quite the price for my styling products, but they go a long way, so it justifies the price to me. And for gel I use just about any gel or Eco Styler.

It absolutely depends on the product, but you shouldn't make a blanket statement that more expensive isn't better. Better depends on your definition.

For instance, many people don't want certain ingredients, or want vegan, cruelty free, or want natural. They don't want the first 4 or 5 ingredients listed to be chemicals. It's different for everyone.
For me, I need to see results, and not one drugstore brand that I have tried (and I've tried at least 90% of them) even comes close to doing for my hair what Briogeo has.

lapushka
June 10th, 2018, 11:00 AM
It absolutely depends on the product, but you shouldn't make a blanket statement that more expensive isn't better. Better depends on your definition.

For instance, many people don't want certain ingredients, or want vegan, cruelty free, or want natural. They don't want the first 4 or 5 ingredients listed to be chemicals. It's different for everyone.
For me, I need to see results, and not one drugstore brand that I have tried (and I've tried at least 90% of them) even comes close to doing for my hair what Briogeo has.

As far as I know I didn't make a blanket statement when I said YMMV, and also that more expensive isn't "necessarily" better. ;)

littlestarface
June 10th, 2018, 12:10 PM
As far as I know I didn't make a blanket statement when I said YMMV, and also that more expensive isn't "necessarily" better. ;)

Neither is cheaper is better.

SeRe I was just writing down what works for me. CHI does remove all the oil on my scalp for me since I dont apply conditioner on my scalp I need a good shampoo to clean really good or else I get itchy scalp.

MusicalSpoons
June 10th, 2018, 12:46 PM
I use Natura Siberica neutral and sensitive (or something like that). I tried a couple of other sulphate-free shampoos before that, that didn't agree with my scalp, but they were still better than sulphate shampoos. To be honest, I think it's the same principle as finding an ordinary shampoo that works for you, though perhaps it is slightly more hit and miss because sulphate-free shampoos might have more of a variety of alternative ingredients, whereas sulphate shampoos seem to be a bit more generic, at least those in the price range I'm willing to pay anyway.

I had no adjustment period that I remember, though I think there was a slight adjustment in sebum production when I went from SLS to SLES. SLES to sulphate-free was no issue though; sebum production just steadily declined for a while.

SeRe
June 10th, 2018, 02:01 PM
I found Nature's Gate to be incredibly drying and harsh, much more so than most sulfate shampoos I have used. L'oreal Everpure was pretty good and less harsh when I used the color care one but still made me over produce oil a bit. My favorite shampoo by far is Hask Keratin. I need way less and it is great with removing oil without leaving my hair with that 'first day stripped' feeling. If you can get some where you are it is worth a try!

It's available at Walmart, I'll go see if I can find it. Thank you!

SeRe
June 10th, 2018, 02:03 PM
Like Jo Ann says, less suds is something to get used to, *if* it suds less, some shampoos do, others don't.

OGX is also known to be drying. I wouldn't go with that one either.

I also got oilier faster with sulfate-free, but my scalp protested in more than that way though as it flared up my SD.

I would start by washing more, and if in the end you can't do sulfate-free, then go back to sulfates. If you have no issues with sulfates, then it is absolutely *fine* to use. I use them, I just double condition afterwards and it's fine for my wave pattern.

So far I have found the sulphate-free shampoo I'm using drying, but my hair fall has reduced a lot! That's why I am keen on continuing.

SeRe
June 10th, 2018, 02:04 PM
I've been trying to go sulphate free too recently. I keep my previous sles-washing liquid at hand, and now my routine has been one sles-wash in a week, and other times I've used sulphate free shampoo. I need to wash my hair more than once a week because my scalp gets easily irritated when I do something that causes sweating. Any head covering against uv-rays also can irritate my scalp.
I use small Finnish manufacturer's product, my previous product is also theirs. I've liked both so far. Each product costs less than 5€ a bottle.

I've made the transition by totally going sulphate free after doing one last clarifying sulphate wash to remove build-up.

SeRe
June 10th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Don't remember ever having an adjustment period. But in my case, sulfates irritate my scalp so no sulfates are an improvement.

Currently using Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture and Shine shampoo. It's sulfate and silicone free, and does not dry out my hair. Unfortunately, the conditioner from the same line is not silicone free.
On the higher end I've also used MorrocanOil Hydrating shampoo. I don't find it as moisturizing as Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla, but it's also much less heavy.

I will say when I switched to sulfate free, I need to shampoo twice. So my first wash is more of a pre-wash, and my second is when I really massage it into my scalp. I don't massage anything into my length, as it travels down anyway.
My scalp and hair get very clean this way. But it's a longer process.

There's another brand I just ordered from called INOAR Divine Curls (it's a Brazilian company). The shampoos is supposed to be "amazing." It's also sulfate and silicone free, and so is the conditioner.
I believe the shampoo is something like 12 bucks, so not the cheapest, but definitely not on the higher end either.

Have you tried Shea Moisture shampoos? The JBCO one has rave reviews.

Carol's daughter is available at Walmart, let me see if I can find it at Ulta.

SeRe
June 10th, 2018, 02:06 PM

Does Briogeo sell travel sized trial packs? I would like to try it without investing too much $$

SeRe
June 10th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Neither is cheaper is better.

SeRe I was just writing down what works for me. CHI does remove all the oil on my scalp for me since I dont apply conditioner on my scalp I need a good shampoo to clean really good or else I get itchy scalp.

Ok thank you for letting me know about CHI :)

SeRe
June 10th, 2018, 02:07 PM
I use Natura Siberica neutral and sensitive (or something like that). I tried a couple of other sulphate-free shampoos before that, that didn't agree with my scalp, but they were still better than sulphate shampoos. To be honest, I think it's the same principle as finding an ordinary shampoo that works for you, though perhaps it is slightly more hit and miss because sulphate-free shampoos might have more of a variety of alternative ingredients, whereas sulphate shampoos seem to be a bit more generic, at least those in the price range I'm willing to pay anyway.

I had no adjustment period that I remember, though I think there was a slight adjustment in sebum production when I went from SLS to SLES. SLES to sulphate-free was no issue though; sebum production just steadily declined for a while.

I agree. If I can't find a good one, I'll go back to sulphates. Which shampoo contains SLES but not SLS?

Obsidian
June 10th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Does the shampoo absolutely need to be cone free? I really like Kirkland moisture shampoo, its sulfate free but it has cones.
It lathers great, leaves my hair soft, keeps it clean between washes and never dries it out.

lapushka
June 10th, 2018, 02:59 PM
So far I have found the sulphate-free shampoo I'm using drying, but my hair fall has reduced a lot! That's why I am keen on continuing.

I saw no difference in shedding between the two, but it's highly individual. That's great to hear, though! :)

lapushka
June 10th, 2018, 03:01 PM
I agree. If I can't find a good one, I'll go back to sulphates. Which shampoo contains SLES but not SLS?

I'd look for Garnier Whole Blends; in the EU they have SLES + CB and no SLS. AFAIK, SLS is only found in Pantene and Herbal Essences these days. Over here I mean. I don't know how things are in the US with the Garnier Whole Blends line. You'd have to check.

MusicalSpoons
June 10th, 2018, 03:47 PM

Lots of drugstore brands use SLES and not SLS, so they're a good place to start. I can't quote any off the top of my head though, sorry - and different markets have different formulations too (just to be really useful!)

I'd look for Garnier Whole Blends; in the EU they have SLES + CB and no SLS. AFAIK, SLS is only found in Pantene and Herbal Essences these days. Over here I mean. I don't know how things are in the US with the Garnier Whole Blends line. You'd have to check.

I don't know how it is specifically in the UK for SLS (still irrelevant to OP), but oh boy it was SO much easier to find SLS-free than sulphate-free when I first started investigating these things.

OP, Ammonium Lauryl/Laureth Sulphate are supposed to be less of an irritant than the Sodium Sulphates (larger molecule size) so if the stripping effect is not a factor in trying to stop using sulphates, that might be worth looking into as well. I have no idea which current shampoos use those though, sorry! I seem to recall it was more the midway, proudly declaring 'SLS/SLES-free!' partly-natural brands; the only one I knew for certain has long been discontinued.

ravenskey
June 10th, 2018, 04:47 PM
OP, Ammonium Lauryl/Laureth Sulphate are supposed to be less of an irritant than the Sodium Sulphates (larger molecule size) so if the stripping effect is not a factor in trying to stop using sulphates, that might be worth looking into as well. I have no idea which current shampoos use those though, sorry! I seem to recall it was more the midway, proudly declaring 'SLS/SLES-free!' partly-natural brands; the only one I knew for certain has long been discontinued.

Faith in Nature shampoos have Ammonium Laureth Sulphate in them but I'm not sure how many countries they are available in.

Reservechic
June 10th, 2018, 05:04 PM
There are actual co-washes and cleansing conditioners that you can use to cleanse your hair and scalp with. I noticed that you mentioned about not doing the conditioner-washing firm of co-washing. I can totally understand such, as using conditioner to wash my hair doesn't work well for my hair and scalp at all. However, there are plenty of co-washes and cleansing conditioners on the market, that you can most surely try and possibly see which one wires best for you. I know in the past when I have pre-pooed with pure oils, I have never experienced co-washes or cleansing conditioners not removing all of the oil out of my hair at all. Plus, where I live at it is very hot, humid, and sticky out and all that I do is use either Jessicurl's Hair Cleansing Cream (actual co-wash), or As I Am's Coconut Co-Wash (is the best co-wash I've ever used), and I am able to get my hair and scalp completely clean without my hair being left greasy or with any type of leftover residue on it all. Plus, either one of these products are safe enough to be used every day if need be. And, following up with conditioner isn't a necessity, like one has to do with shampoo, however, if conditioning is a strong that you can't go without at all, then you can always condition your hair afterwards as usual.

Jo Ann
June 10th, 2018, 06:01 PM
I didn't suggest CO-washing to get rid of oils, SeRe--I suggested using conditioner to "cut" the oil (make it easier to get the oil out) before following your usual hair cleansing routine. I've found that slathering a conditioner to "cut" the oil saves one from shampooing over and over (and over...) again to get rid of the oil used.

FWIW, I WCC--shampoo, condition and condition, regardless of what shampoo I use, because my hair needs moisture to be happy.

SwanFeathers
June 10th, 2018, 06:46 PM
For me, stretching the washes really helped, and castile soap in the summer when it gets oily

nycelle
June 10th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Does Briogeo sell travel sized trial packs? I would like to try it without investing too much $$

I think so. But I know with Sephora, you can try it and return if they don't work for you. Ulta doesn't carry Briogeo.

The thing is, with Briogeo, at least for me, it took about month before I noticed results, using their products twice a week. It's a cumulative effect.

Jo Ann
June 10th, 2018, 07:18 PM
SeRe, one other thing you might keep in mind: Some people have found they still need to clarify, even when sulphate-free. Put another way, some sulphate-free products still can cause a build-up on one's hair. I keep a SLS/SLES shampoo on hand when my hair's not feeling it's best to keep any build-up down. YMMV.

FWIW, I use Shea Moisture's Intense Hydration shampoo and conditioner as my first WC--no matter what shampoo/conditioner combination I use, I ALWAYS use Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration as my second conditioner.

daisy rei
June 10th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Don't use OGX! That's the one I mentioned in the other thread. It was always tempting to me because it smells amazing but it dried the **** out of my scalp.

nycelle
June 10th, 2018, 07:28 PM
SeRe, one other thing you might keep in mind: Some people have found they still need to clarify, even when sulphate-free. Put another way, some sulphate-free products still can cause a build-up on one's hair. I keep a SLS/SLES shampoo on hand when my hair's not feeling it's best to keep any build-up down. YMMV.

FWIW, I use Shea Moisture's Intense Hydration shampoo and conditioner as my first WC--no matter what shampoo/conditioner combination I use, I ALWAYS use Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration as my second conditioner.

Very true. In my case I needed to clarify once switching to sulfate and silicone free. Prior to that I didn't know what build-up was.
But I use an activated charcoal clarifying shampoo (no sulfates). It leaves my hair extremely clean, and my scalp squeaks..lol.

Jo Ann
June 10th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Nycelle, I use either a baby shampoo (SLS & SLES) or a purple shampoo to clarify my hair; sometimes, I borrow Oldest Dear Son's Head & Shoulders shampoo or whip out an old bottle of Prell shampoo :p

I use one of those about every 3-4 washes with my SM shampoo--I'm not taking any chances ;)

SeRe
June 11th, 2018, 07:33 PM
I think so. But I know with Sephora, you can try it and return if they don't work for you. Ulta doesn't carry Briogeo.

The thing is, with Briogeo, at least for me, it took about month before I noticed results, using their products twice a week. It's a cumulative effect.

Okay, that's good to know, thank you. Not sure yet if i'll try it unless I can find a travel sized pack.

SeRe
June 11th, 2018, 07:34 PM

That's very valuable input, I will remember it.