PDA

View Full Version : unhappy with all my hairtoys

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 9th, 2018, 03:22 PM
For the most part, I think I have like 2 jeter forks that really work with my hair.
everything else either:
slips out (90% of the time)
is too long/too big and stabs me
gives me a horrible headache

my collection isn’t large at all, in fact I own maybe 10 hair toys.
So it’s very small in comparison to most of you.
but I’m finding myself wearing my hair down more because wearing hair toys has become more of a nuisance then a pleasure, they’re constantly slipping out, or they fall out completely.
Or I try to use something to make it hold better and it ends up being too much pressure and gives me a headache. Or the pins slip out! Literally nothing stays in my hair anymore and I don’t lnow if it’s mt hair type or the products I’m using or if I can’t use hair forks with less then 3 prongs...
More often I find myself bored with the options I have; when you only own like 3 forks that work and 2 of them actually FIT your bun, it ends up getting annoyingly boring.
Then when I try other “styles” like braided buns, it doesn’t work. Most updos don’t hold up, then I have hardly any length and then hardly any hair either so nothing works. Everything just falls apart.

So I just end up wearing it down most the time or in a braid.
But then I get loads of breakage from the friction! I don’t know what to do.
i can’t afford to be buying more hair toys, so I can’t use that to curb my boredom.
id try selling the ones I have that aren’t working for me anymore but eh. I just end up not getting enough money to purchase 1 brand new fork. So it ends up being a means to an end.

Im so bored and frustrated with my hair, I’ve become tempted to color it but I haven’t because I want to get my natural color back but UGH. Unhappy with my hair toys and my style options.
sometimes I feel like going back to short hair to fill the void.

lithostoic
June 9th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Maybe you're at an awkward length. I was having this frustration last month. Try the disc bun, it's supposed to hold really well.

daisy rei
June 9th, 2018, 03:39 PM
Spin pins! I know they could seem "boring" but if you can keep your hair up without any pain or tugging, it's ultimately worthwhile.

spidermom
June 9th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Well there's nothing wrong with shorter hair. There's a lot of attitude around here like long hair is always the best choice, not surprising since it IS the Long Hair Community after all, but it's not true. Short hair can be every bit as pretty and oftentimes a lot easier to manage. I've seen you express a lot of frustration in your posts , and I'm thinking maybe long hair is not for you. If it is, you have to hold on through the awkward stages and keep experimenting until you find the styles that are comfortable for you. There's nothing wrong with that, either.

I went through about 2 years of complaining mostly in my blog about long hair, and finally I had it cut back to collarbone length. I couldn't have been happier. Now I'm ready to let it grow longer again.

lapushka
June 9th, 2018, 03:47 PM
Your hair has to be long enough for the particular bun you are trying to do. A LWB (lazy wrap bun) is the first bun I could do at around hip length or so (comfortably). So it just might be a question of needing more length.

Buns should not hurt, pull or give you a headache.

AmaryllisRed
June 9th, 2018, 04:24 PM
I hope you can find something that works for you! Sorry you're feeling frustrated. :(

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 9th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Spin pins! I know they could seem "boring" but if you can keep your hair up without any pain or tugging, it's ultimately worthwhile.

Spin pins either break my hairs, or stab me in the skull/give a headache.
They hold. I need like 4 of them to hold a simple Cinnabon, then my hair is too fine to hide it.
Let alone hold onto the weight of 4 spin pins.
They worked for a little while when I only needed 2-3 but now I need more at this length and they hurt.

daisy rei
June 9th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Spin pins either break my hairs, or stab me in the skull/give a headache.
They hold. I need like 4 of them to hold a simple Cinnabon, then my hair is too fine to hide it.
Let alone hold onto the weight of 4 spin pins.
They worked for a little while when I only needed 2-3 but now I need more at this length and they hurt.

Would you just prefer to have shorter hair then? If your hair has reached the point where it's painful and a huge hassle for you to deal with it, then just cut it back some! It will grow longer again. There's no reason to torture yourself!

akurah
June 9th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Have you tried quattros? My hair goes through phases where EVERYTHING is uncomfortable or pulls or falls out or gives me headaches. During those phases, the only thing I can usually tolerate are his sticks holding up a lwb. They’re very thin aluminum, very light, and can customize length when ordering if I recall right.

SeRe
June 9th, 2018, 05:40 PM
I'm using a Ficcare dupe and it works for me, everything else slips out. I do a variation of the LWB most days, but I do have really long hair.

Crystawni
June 9th, 2018, 05:55 PM
I have a hairtoy stash overload, and yet I go through times nothing works (uber slipmonster hair, headache, pain, heaviness, awkwardness, bunsplosions, etc.). It is what it is. I ride the waves waiting for things to figure themselves out. As with all things longhair, patience is key. Jeters are definitely something that works first and best for me at these times, though, and Quattros (simple, light forks, starlights...). Anything that distributes the weight like multi-prong, flat-tined forks, and to a lesser degree double sticks, not singles (rounder sticks hurt more, though, so flatter ones like ONN ovals, Maple Burls, etc. are better).

cjk
June 9th, 2018, 07:27 PM
For the most part, I think I have like 2 jeter forks that really work with my hair.

but I’m finding myself wearing my hair down more because wearing hair toys has become more of a nuisance then a pleasure, they’re constantly slipping out, or they fall out completely.

Okay, I'd say that you're at an awkward length. I've love my fork, hated my fork, etc...and modified my hairstyles as my length has increased.

And my hair is nowhere near as long as yours.

It's been said that variety is the spice of life. If you're bored, maybe it's time to spice it up!

Oh, and hair toys don't have to be expensive. Heck, I use nails from Home Depot as hairsticks. Or if you're crafty you could make some yourself. I've imposed a $2 limit on hair toys, myself, which makes me really watch my spending.

Chromis
June 9th, 2018, 07:57 PM
Those awkward lengths are killer! And then they happen again as you grow where suddenly nothing works anymore.

I would try seeing if any of your most offending toys might be able to find a new home on the swap board as swaps. Then you can try something lighter or just in a different style. Like maybe you need a narrower style than the Jeterforks or some head curve or maybe thinner metal sticks might suit you (there are a couple cheaper than Quattro, which might be a fair trade) Or maybe a spiral stick.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 9th, 2018, 08:46 PM
Have you tried quattros? My hair goes through phases where EVERYTHING is uncomfortable or pulls or falls out or gives me headaches. During those phases, the only thing I can usually tolerate are his sticks holding up a lwb. They’re very thin aluminum, very light, and can customize length when ordering if I recall right.

No, but I cant really afford to be ordering new hair forks that may or may not work for me.

wo
June 9th, 2018, 08:47 PM
I don't have advice but just wanted to say I am the same way. I tried flexis, sticks, a fork, and a ficcare, and gave updos several months of attempts, but they all either give me headaches, or need redone throughout the day. So I wear my hair down 90% of my life, including sleeping. If I need it up, I use a claw clip which for some reason are the only things that don't give me headaches, plus I like the way it's more of a ponytail look, than all being up in a bun. And I can do/undo it so easily. I'm not suggesting that, just saying that I haven't been impressed with the hair toy options either.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 9th, 2018, 08:48 PM
Those awkward lengths are killer! And then they happen again as you grow where suddenly nothing works anymore.

I would try seeing if any of your most offending toys might be able to find a new home on the swap board as swaps. Then you can try something lighter or just in a different style. Like maybe you need a narrower style than the Jeterforks or some head curve or maybe thinner metal sticks might suit you (there are a couple cheaper than Quattro, which might be a fair trade) Or maybe a spiral stick.

The jeter forks work.. theyre the only ones that work.
Maybe you can tell what kind of toys suit me from that?
All the ones I own are 4 prongs.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 9th, 2018, 08:49 PM
Would you just prefer to have shorter hair then? If your hair has reached the point where it's painful and a huge hassle for you to deal with it, then just cut it back some! It will grow longer again. There's no reason to torture yourself!

Probably not. I prefer longer hair. I just dont think I can ever have anything longer than TBL if it ever gets that long.

Arciela
June 9th, 2018, 09:25 PM
I went through akward stages too, they aren't fun! What I did to deal with it was I just put it up any which way I could..be it a braid, half up, even a bunch of clips. I learned a lot of side braids too. Since my hair is so thick I was not able to do a proper bun (LWB) until I was waist nearly. I enjoy learning new hairstyles and I am not that good at them..but I was stubborn, I'd sit down patiently and try over and over until I managed. :flower: When all else failed too a french braid always worked to get hair outta my face haha

Corvana
June 9th, 2018, 09:42 PM
Oh man I'm sorry you're struggling! Currently I can only comfortably do a disc bun. It's sooo boring, but it works and is comfortable so I'm dealing. Maybe a month ago? It wouldn't hold at all! My go to, and the bun generally used by those who can't get others to hold yet, just slipped constantly. And it'd been working very well beforehand. So after maybe a week I realized I was likely at an awkward spot. Hair was just a bit too long but also not long enough so it wouldn't lock in place properly.
I just went back to scrunchie buns and claw clips, which aren't exactly my favorites.

So perhaps (I hope) you're just at an awkward length where you hair is both too short and too long to anchor properly with some methods, and you'll be back to more numerous methods soon enough.

pailin
June 10th, 2018, 01:28 AM
Don't know if your stats are current or not, but at around 28-29 inches, I couldn't do most buns. That is I could do some but they would not stay until I got a few more inches. Ficcares would stay, but they'd give me a headache. But now I can wear them and they don't hurt anymore. Since you say the only toys that work are your jeters, it sounds likely you just need a bit more length. Many people find forks hold better when they're just beginning to use hair toys. Sticks often need a little more length, and maybe a little more practice. While you wait on a few more inches, you might try claw clips- maybe a couple of small-medium sized ones. They're relatively cheap if you don't already have them.

Dendra
June 10th, 2018, 03:31 AM
When everything else slips out of my hair, I also fall back on my Jeter. I can't really recommend much apart from soldiering through relying on the two jeters you do have :shrug: I hope it gets easier for you.

Chromis
June 10th, 2018, 05:28 AM
The jeter forks work.. theyre the only ones that work.
Maybe you can tell what kind of toys suit me from that?
All the ones I own are 4 prongs.

Nice! I haven't tried the Jeters myself yet but I really like the lovely woods they use. Someday!

I do have a 4 prong by 60th St that I really love and a 3 prong by Pens&Pics that holds even better (which is pretty amazing). Maybe you just need lots of prongs? I used to have a five or six prong that was super great back when my hair was much shorter and was at one of those spitting things out stages actually. Might have been a QueCraft? I haven't had it in ages.

lapushka
June 10th, 2018, 06:58 AM
Jeters are about the only thing that I have come across that doesn't work for me in the slightest. They are just too tight and thick.

I think more length might do it, Rebeccalaurenxx, and trying simpler buns. The LWB is a center-held bun and might be easier to start with. Out of all buns it was the first I could do at my length (hip). Shorter than that and the bun pulled, didn't stay, etc., so I wore a peacock twist, later more like a log roll up to the point I could actually do a bun comfortably. You gotta do what you gotta do. :)

Sora Rose
June 10th, 2018, 08:07 AM
As I've always only had one hairstick that I wear day in and day out, I don't really have any suggestions. But I did have a lot more 'slip' to my buns several months ago. Suddenly it just clicked, and the bun (Celtic knot, in my case) started holding better. I used to have to redo my buns five or six times a day, but now I can wear one all day long without too much trouble - or only have to redo it twice if my hair is especially slippery. It does get better.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 10th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Thanks guys.. maybe I do need more length.
My hair is fine but I have a lot of it at 3” circumference

I don’t use hair sticks really at all only forks
Hair sticks will not work for me, unless they are curved.
So I have 1 that is sort of s shaped, wavy. It holds better than any stick I have tried.

I do LWB and then what I think is a natalus bun? That’s it.
Natalus won’t hold much at all, LWB will for the most part if I anchor it a few times.
It’s just frustrating me. I don’t like being bored with my appearance.

bparnell75
June 10th, 2018, 05:24 PM
I don't have advice but just wanted to say I am the same way. I tried flexis, sticks, a fork, and a ficcare, and gave updos several months of attempts, but they all either give me headaches, or need redone throughout the day. So I wear my hair down 90% of my life, including sleeping. If I need it up, I use a claw clip which for some reason are the only things that don't give me headaches, plus I like the way it's more of a ponytail look, than all being up in a bun. And I can do/undo it so easily. I'm not suggesting that, just saying that I haven't been impressed with the hair toy options either.

I know I sent you some hair toys once...but there is nothing wrong with wearing hair down. 85% of long hair I see is worn down.

wo
June 10th, 2018, 06:37 PM
I know I sent you some hair toys once...but there is nothing wrong with wearing hair down. 85% of long hair I see is worn down.

Bparnell, did you? I don't think I ever bought from you on the swap board. 🤔 Or are you talking to rebeccalauren?

prairie lark
June 10th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Have you tried a spritz of dry shampoo to give your hair a little more texture and grab? Accent braids throughout your canopy are also really good to help anchor pins in updos. Your hair is so pretty, I wish you could enjoy it.

:flowers: For sure, don't try to spend your way to happiness in hair dying or etsy hair toy moneypits. Try some inexpensive claw clips and updo pins in a variety of sizes from your local stores (our dollar stores always have many to choose from that are as smooth and undamaging as $$$$$ French acetate if I choose carefully) until you learn the updos your hair WILL stay styled in.

everything else either:

slips out (90% of the time)

... they’re constantly slipping out, or they fall out completely.
Or I try to use something to make it hold better and it ends up being too much pressure and gives me a headache.

.... Or the pins slip out!
Literally nothing stays in my hair anymore .... Most updos don’t hold up .... Everything just falls apart.

Rebeccalaurenxx
June 10th, 2018, 09:32 PM

Yes, I outgrew them.

Julescarm
June 10th, 2018, 11:28 PM
I bought a hair stick, a year ago, and I couldn't get it to stay. Turns out my hair wasn't long enough. Its two inches longer and I can wear it now. I'm now dying to know if my husband bought me a hair stick but have been too timid to ask.