PDA

View Full Version : Are bangs too feminine for a dude?

iforgotmylogin
June 8th, 2018, 06:06 AM
I am kinda a form-follows-function kinda guy, and thus I always thought having bangs had no utility. But it dawned on me recently that when somebody's hair is out, having bangs helps stop the hair from naturally covering the face. Having said that, the only people I ever see with bangs are female. Would you consider it too feminine a style for a bloke?

lapushka
June 8th, 2018, 06:26 AM
I voted "cheese", because really... it's all up to you. I don't particularly think bangs are "feminine". In the days of the Beatles a lot of young men wore bangs, think page boy hair style.

It does have to suit your face though, IMO,but you can get faux bangs just about anywhere these days for not that much money and experiment a little. :flower:

iforgotmylogin
June 8th, 2018, 06:52 AM
For everyone's information: This poll is anonymous, so don't be afraid to vote that it looks stupid/a bit silly

Equestrianchic
June 8th, 2018, 07:07 AM
I don't think it would look silly, but you are right you don't usually see guys with bangs, but it's great to be different! If you want to I say go for it :)

TreesOfEternity
June 8th, 2018, 07:13 AM
I voted cheese because I don’t see they are femenine but definitely it’s something you don’t see everyday (as well as a man with long hair for instance). Maybe knowing a little bit what is your style would help.
For me bangs and long hair look good in an indie/folkish/alternative person, someone sporty, someone who has the stereotypical andalusian look (this is more of a Spanish thing)... If you have a unique style that would compliment the bangs (meaning they look intentional and not something random you did to your hair because you don’t know better) they would look really cool. Just take into account it’s not a mainstream look and for lots of people they will look “silly” :(

lapushka
June 8th, 2018, 07:14 AM
For everyone's information: This poll is anonymous, so don't be afraid to vote that it looks stupid/a bit silly

I don't think it would, honestly! :)

You can find plenty of pictures of rockers in the 80s with bangs.

ravenskey
June 8th, 2018, 07:19 AM
I don't think it would look feminine but it does depend on your hair and face - for instance when I was younger I had bangs and looked really cute but I don't think they'd suit me now.

I'd try some faux bangs first and if you like how they look then go for it!

Guitargod
June 8th, 2018, 08:06 AM
I also voted cheese because it's all down to personal preference.
As Lapushka said a lot of hair metal bands in the 80s were doing that and quite a few metal bands too :) You could check out Bruce Dickinson in the 80s and 90s.
Personally I would never cut bangs:)

Milady_DeWinter
June 8th, 2018, 08:41 AM
No difference for me. It might look equally good or bad depending on the person, not the sex. There's also quite a lot of bangs styles. Anime example: in Slayers (https://cdn.hobbyconsolas.com/sites/navi.axelspringer.es/public/styles/main_element/public/media/image/2017/03/slayers-como-acabo-serie-dibujos-reena-gaudy.jpg?itok=ZLWwxWZb) everybody had bangs, both girls and guys, and looks cool anyway.

iforgotmylogin
June 8th, 2018, 08:44 AM
It's funny you bring up Slayers, anime gave me the idea :E

For the record I am blue eyed, dark brown hair, slightly freckled west-north European. Not exactly Andalusian :<

EdG
June 8th, 2018, 08:51 AM
I had bangs for a brief time in my early longhaired years.

Bangs are not feminine, but they present a serious maintenance problem. Because there is no delineating line between the cut and uncut hair, there will always be some hairs in-between bang-length and full-length.

I concluded that uncut hair is the only maintainable hair style. :)
Ed

TatsuOni
June 8th, 2018, 09:12 AM
I voted "cheese", because really... it's all up to you. I don't particularly think bangs are "feminine". In the days of the Beatles a lot of young men wore bangs, think page boy hair style.

It does have to suit your face though, IMO,but you can get faux bangs just about anywhere these days for not that much money and experiment a little. :flower:

I totally agree :agree:

cjk
June 8th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Whatever style you choose, it needs to suit your face shape and hair texture.

Not everyone can wear bangs.

But those who do tend to look pretty good.

Todd
June 8th, 2018, 10:08 AM
I love bangs. I had them in my first go-around with long hair, back when I first joined the forum. I'd get them again if not for the amount of time it would take to grow them back out if I change my mind (and my hair is much longer now).

Alun
June 8th, 2018, 12:30 PM
Used to be common in the 70s. I wore my hair that way, but it was only shoulder length. For some reason a fringe (bangs in American) is no longer a popular style for guys, but I'm not sure why. Could be because it does take more work. Guys are not keen on high maintenance styles, in general.

pailin
June 8th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Also, it depends upon your hair- if it's not fairly straight, there's a good chance you'll never be able to get them to look like how you want them to. And I don't usually expect a guy to put up with, say, using a curling iron on them every day (like I did in high school. Not that it worked).

lapushka
June 8th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Also, it depends upon your hair- if it's not fairly straight, there's a good chance you'll never be able to get them to look like how you want them to. And I don't usually expect a guy to put up with, say, using a curling iron on them every day (like I did in high school. Not that it worked).

Yeah, the only thing I would base this decision on is the texture of your hair. If it is curly, I wouldn't do it. If it's wavy, I wouldn't do it. Unless you want to be styling them every minute of the day. If you have dead straight hair, then... yep. Oily hair? Nope. Too high maintenance.

All factors to consider.

lithostoic
June 8th, 2018, 02:29 PM
One of my friends in high school (male) had long hair with bangs :)

blushy
June 8th, 2018, 03:25 PM
What kind of bangs are you thinking? :) Like...side-swept, or blunt straight across bangs? Or layered "emo" bangs? I voted that it might look a bit silly but then I saw you mentioning you were inspired by anime and I've seen many male cosplayers have long hair and bangs and it looks pretty cool on them haha! I say do whatever you want!

daisy rei
June 8th, 2018, 03:32 PM
I've seen bangs on dudes plenty of times; they don't look feminine at all to me. But blunt bangs are easier for straight hair and longer or side-swept bangs might better suit curly hair.

njrb
June 8th, 2018, 05:10 PM
I don't think they're inherently feminine. The idea makes me think of 70s and 80s bands mostly. As a guy I have never had them with long hair and and I wouldn't. While they'd be more convenient with hair loose I don't think they'd look good with my hair tied back. Im sure you could pin them, but that becomes more work than just not having them. All depends on what you're looking for as with most hair related things.

nycelle
June 8th, 2018, 06:03 PM
I don't care either way really, but bangs on guys with long hair definitely gives me Whitesnake kinda vibes.

Taliesin
June 8th, 2018, 08:19 PM
I grew up on late 80's, early 90's thrash metal and there were bangs aplenty among those guys. I'm sure you can do it, just keep in mind what works with your face shape/bone structure.

daisy rei
June 8th, 2018, 09:28 PM
I don't care either way really, but bangs on guys with long hair definitely gives me Whitesnake kinda vibes.

Maybe it's just me...but their hair was kind of dreamy. So big, and full of secrets..... :grin:

EdG
June 8th, 2018, 09:45 PM
I grew up on late 80's, early 90's thrash metal and there were bangs aplenty among those guys. I'm sure you can do it, just keep in mind what works with your face shape/bone structure.

Maybe it's just me...but their hair was kind of dreamy. So big, and full of secrets..... :grin:80s/90s hair metal music going out of style was one of the great setbacks in the quest for hair equality. ;)

ETA: Whenever I hear the Aerosmith song "Dude looks like a lady", I think "All of those 80s rockers looked like ladies." :rollin:
Ed

daisy rei
June 8th, 2018, 09:55 PM
They certainly were beautiful!

EdG
June 8th, 2018, 09:59 PM
They certainly were beautiful!It was a weird decade. ;)

I wish the long hair did not get tossed out along with the rest of glam. :(
Ed

daisy rei
June 8th, 2018, 10:05 PM
It was a weird decade. ;)

I wish the long hair did not get tossed out along with the rest of glam. :(
Ed

Hey, if men wearing platform boots is coming back into style, anything can happen.

EdG
June 8th, 2018, 10:13 PM
Hey, if men wearing platform boots is coming back into style, anything can happen.I would not be surprised. Today's hip-hop music sounds to me like a re-hashing of 80s new wave. Maybe hair metal will be the next to be rehashed. :)
Ed

iforgotmylogin
June 8th, 2018, 10:24 PM
Your hair in your avatar looks wicked EdG

For the record, here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=146556) is what my hair looks like

EdG
June 8th, 2018, 10:37 PM
Thanks, iforgotmylogin.

You have awesome hair. :)
Ed

Simsy
June 8th, 2018, 11:04 PM
If a guy has bangs, then they are masculine bangs by definition.

ponine
June 9th, 2018, 12:07 AM
If you are concerned about them being too feminine I would recommend not getting thick blunt bangs.
But maybe something like this? http://www.fashionisers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/short_bob_hairstyles_haircuts_with_bangs16.jpg
Basically don't cut too much hair (as in too many strands) so they blend to your hair a bit but don't get to your eyes.

But I would also say that if you want bangs don't let them being feminine stop you!

Beckstar
June 9th, 2018, 12:11 AM
Bangs are what you want them to be. What's feminine to someone else isn't necessarily feminine to a different person.

Stray_mind
June 9th, 2018, 12:25 AM
It's just a hair style. Just like a hair bun.
If it suits your face shape-go for it.
Be sure to test it out with faux bangs first though.

embee
June 9th, 2018, 04:23 AM
They are a pain to grow out. Other than that, go for it.

MidnightMoon
June 9th, 2018, 06:27 AM
Depends on the bangs for me. Are we talking about this: https://hips.hearstapps.com/cosmouk.cdnds.net/cm/14/30/53d3485bf3166_-_emma-stone-fringe-lgn.jpg

or this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1e/c2/4a/1ec24ac4ef0cf3b0ac1e29bceafa605f.jpg

or this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/56/a3/b3/56a3b38be41f28e3b1bb2833381085f6.jpg

?

The first one, also because of the cut, yes, looks feminine to me. The second and third not. My husband has hair similar to the last pic, though longer in the back and I don't think it looks feminine at all. Granted, he's +6 feet, has a beard, etc. The second style gives a bit of a baby face style but it's very common, and I'd say it can look rather "delicate" if the guy in question is shaved, rather slim or small, dresses a certain way, etc. But I wouldn't think it looks "gay", more like "eh, maybe he takes too much care of his appearance" and I don't find that very attractive in guys.
In any case, I saw your picture and I wouldn't even call that bangs, they look like face framing layers to me. Again, it depends on your clothes and gestures. I don't think the hair alone would make me think immediately it looks feminine.

iforgotmylogin
June 9th, 2018, 06:56 AM
I hadn't really thought about how they differ, in my mind I was thinking something like the first or second of your examples, where the forehead is pretty much covered.

I haven't cut them that short yet and have in fact today decided not to, the main factor of that being that I couldn't have all the hair on my head in a ponytail, I'd have to do something extra for the short hair. The weather is hot here for a lot of the year and I remember now how it felt was when all my hair was that kinda length and it was on my forehead all the time so I think I'll do without the complication

MidnightMoon
June 9th, 2018, 07:08 AM
I hadn't really thought about how they differ, in my mind I was thinking something like the first or second of your examples, where the forehead is pretty much covered.

I haven't cut them that short yet and have in fact today decided not to, the main factor of that being that I couldn't have all the hair on my head in a ponytail, I'd have to do something extra for the short hair. The weather is hot here for a lot of the year and I remember now how it felt was when all my hair was that kinda length and it was on my forehead all the time so I think I'll do without the complication

Well, sounds reasonable. I guess it takes some adjusting if it's not a style you've worn for years, but it's definitely better to avoid it if you think it will be too much of a problem. Other than that, you're not missing out on anything tbh, I don't feel like they add much to most people, but that's my preference.

nycelle
June 9th, 2018, 07:53 AM
Maybe it's just me...but their hair was kind of dreamy. So big, and full of secrets..... :grin:

I was jealous of their hair..lol..

daisy rei
June 9th, 2018, 10:28 AM

The idea that bangs will be "low maintenance" is always hopeful and alluring, but usually it ends up just being wishful thinking. Especially if you're someone like me where your hair has to look a certain way.

Sarahlabyrinth
June 9th, 2018, 03:00 PM
I think it would depend on face shape, hair etc, rather than whether the person was male or female. Bangs on me, for example, look bad - they stick out in all the unwanted directions....

Frazzled
July 10th, 2018, 02:09 AM
I voted "too feminine". I'll admit it's not easy being a guy and having limited options when it comes to long hair, but it's the price we have to pay. I even feel weird rocking a simple functional braid to keep my hair protected at work.

Serimel
July 10th, 2018, 02:32 AM
I think right kind of bangs would look cool on a guy. I would also test the outcome with a faux bang to be sure, it's a commitment. And bangs are also lot of work to maintain them looking nice, get oily fast and might demand daily washes, styling etc. So if your aim is to make things easy in life, bangs might not be the choice. Had them twice, grew them out twice. Couldn't deal with the high maintanance though they looked pretty awesome!

iforgotmylogin
July 10th, 2018, 03:13 AM
OP here, a little update

In the end I decided to say f%*k it and cut that section of my hair anyway. Not so short as to not be able to tie it up into a high ponytail though. My hair naturally parts in the middle so it's like I have blunt side bangs (example (https://78.media.tumblr.com/3e766c6e30b592b409dab18d7dc3621a/tumblr_p8xuvmdYZH1uzmjt6o4_500.jpg)), unless I part asymmetrically, at which point I look closer to my current avatar

Originally the idea was to have hair out of the way when I lean forward (eating, smoking) and my hair isn't up, an idea I got from watching people eat in anime. In the end it's now actually in the way more :E I chose fashion over function, knowing it's winter and my hair grows quite fast, and that I should really probably just tie my hair up when I might accidentally eat or burn it

Frazzled
July 10th, 2018, 03:34 AM
That doesn't sound so bad. My hair pretty much does what you described anyway, due to damage. It can get annoying, but it looks great, so who cares?

OP here, a little update

In the end I decided to say f%*k it and cut that section of my hair anyway. Not so short as to not be able to tie it up into a high ponytail though. My hair naturally parts in the middle so it's like I have blunt side bangs (example (https://78.media.tumblr.com/3e766c6e30b592b409dab18d7dc3621a/tumblr_p8xuvmdYZH1uzmjt6o4_500.jpg)), unless I part asymmetrically, at which point I look closer to my current avatar

Originally the idea was to have hair out of the way when I lean forward (eating, smoking) and my hair isn't up, an idea I got from watching people eat in anime. In the end it's now actually in the way more :E I chose fashion over function, knowing it's winter and my hair grows quite fast, and that I should really probably just tie my hair up when I might accidentally eat or burn it

vampyyri
July 10th, 2018, 04:39 AM
I see nothing wrong with doing what you want, regardless of how it reads to others. It doesn't have to be a masculine vs feminine thing, you do you!

daisy rei
July 10th, 2018, 05:18 AM
I personally love the look of bangs, but that's always how it goes! Bangs are fun for like two weeks and then you realize you had no idea why you wanted some of your hair to be slightly shorter than the rest of your hair. :rolling:

Peppergirl
July 10th, 2018, 05:19 AM
Be yourself. :)

Arciela
July 10th, 2018, 08:12 AM
I say do what makes you happy and what you like :)

daisy rei
July 10th, 2018, 12:58 PM
OP already updated guys, he said that he went for it.