PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about food!!!

softheartedandl
June 7th, 2018, 04:07 PM
So I'm currently reconstructing the way I eat (or trying too at least. curse this sweet tooth!) and I know it's always better for everything, including your hair, to just eat as healthy as possible. That being said, are there any specific foods you've eaten and noticed your hair reacting in a positive/negative way?

lapushka
June 7th, 2018, 04:36 PM
No. I eat healthy and take a multivitamin. I still get 1/2 inch a month. ;)

Xlena
June 7th, 2018, 04:52 PM
I used to eat really bad. I've been eating healthy the past half a year. Didn't see any difference in growth speed tbh

Dark40
June 7th, 2018, 05:11 PM
I eat healthy and to vitamins every single day. I've noticed when I eat a lot of protein like nuts, peanut butter, and chicken, or any type of meat my hair grows a lot better and healthier. I get 2 an a half inches of growth every 2 months.

lapushka
June 7th, 2018, 05:15 PM
I eat healthy and to vitamins every single day. I've noticed when I eat a lot of protein like nuts, peanut butter, and chicken, or any type of meat my hair grows a lot better and healthier. I get 2 an a half inches of growth every 2 months.

That's insane growth, how long have you had to go to reach WL? OMG; that's awesome. :D

MoonRabbit
June 7th, 2018, 06:04 PM
I get negative reactions when I restrict calories, my hair growth will slow a lot. Also when I was vegan for 7 years my hair was in the worst condition it has ever been in my life. Not saying that lifestyle is bad for hair, I went vegan when I was 13..so that was 12 years ago and it wasn't as mainstream as it is today and finding information about keeping healthy was really hard for me at that time and I was just going off of what I could not eat instead of everything I could eat. I was uneducated which resulted in straw hair.

Maintaining a healthy weight is the best thing for my hair growth. I don't grow more than 1/2 on average unless I get a spurt in the summer but I doubt it has anything to do with what I eat. I like to think avocado and fish are really good for my hair so I eat those a lot. Drinking lots of water is the ultimate hair medicine in my opinion.

AutobotsAttack
June 7th, 2018, 06:37 PM
As someone who compete in sports I eat around 160-180 grams of protein. And I typically get an inch or 1.5 inches a month.

But to be honest it’s a bit of a necessity to exercise. And by exercise I mean weight training. Hair, and any other energy system your body goes through, will always be at its best when you exercise AND implement a diet filled with nutrient dense foods. Cardio is okay, but weight training is crucial since added muscle means a more active metabolism and active immune system, and of course hair growth since it’s tied, to a degree with your body’s metabolism. A lot of ladies would do well to put on 5-10 pounds of pure grade muscle. And no, lifting weights does not make you bulky. That’s such a giant misconception that I wish would die out already.

And even if it’s difficult, or there are barriers that keep you from exercising you can always do isometric stuff, which can be done while sitting, laying down, using your own body weight, etc.

I typically eat anywhere from 2500-3,000 calories of whatever meat I have, veggies, rice, and some sort of dietary fat from nuts or whatever if I have them available.

browneyedsusan
June 7th, 2018, 06:58 PM
I get 1/2" a month like clockwork.

My diet has always been good; I'm careful, but do splurge on weekends. :beercheer:
When I first started growing, I was sedentary, got 1/2" a month.
Now, I exercise (lift weights, rock climb, do hard yard work) 3 - 4 times a week, and get 1/2" a month.

I think it's mostly genetic, but that's just my opinion.

Garnetgem
June 7th, 2018, 07:52 PM
In the past i went through a bad shedding so much so i had to see a trichologist ( scalp/hair expert) i guess my diet was not as good as i thought it was,but i soon got back on track and she advised me to help with new healthy growth to eat the following,rice with whole grain being the best for hair,tuna,chicken and fruit and vegetables,and to take a mutli vitamin and mineral supplement..she also advised me to cut back on chocolate as this caused thicker sebum which resulted in more shedding,i have not liked chocolate since!

but sugary foods is not good as expected it wont do anything for hair except cause a greasy scalp..not sure why but peanut butter caused me to shed lots too i think as it made my scalp more oily than usual.

the foods i mentioned that i was told to add to my diet really helped,my new growth came in pretty fast and was healthy and strong..

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 08:02 PM
I never noticed my hair growing faster or slower regardless of what I was eating.

But I did notice my hair getting thinner when I would diet.

softheartedandl
June 7th, 2018, 08:30 PM
So from what I'm getting is a nice balanced diet, with maybe a focus on foods with good natural fat? (which women are supposed to eat more of, anyway)

,i have not liked chocolate since!

Oh my word! You must have amazing self-control! There's no way I could give up chocolate-- even for my locks! :)

afreckledgirl
June 9th, 2018, 07:14 AM
I'm vegan so generally, my main meals are packed with veggies! But I am known to be pretty lazy with food prep and so I can live of Quorn nuggets and chips for a couple of weeks every month or so. :D I am also really bad when it comes to snacking. Overall, I think my hair goes through periods of faster growth when I do eat and exercise well. But because I'm not one to stick to routine it fluctuates.

MidnightMoon
June 9th, 2018, 07:33 AM
I had an iron and vitamin D deficiency, so I started taking that, as well as a multivitamin (for about 6 months now). My growth speed hasn't increased as far as I can tell, but it has gotten thicker.

Stray_mind
June 9th, 2018, 07:38 AM
I don't know... i have always eaten whatever i like... my hair was always growing pretty fast (between 0.5 and 1 inch a month). I did eat coconut oil and a lot of quark for a while. Ny hair became more shiny and my nails became very strong.

Margarita
June 9th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Im hungry all the time. I eat healthy and also i have sweet tooth! :3