PDA

View Full Version : Catching up and Question

Saldana
November 1st, 2008, 06:42 AM
Good morning!

Having a bit of time this morning (woke up at 4:30am, gotta love that peri-menopausal no sleep thing), I decided I'd check in at LHC and see what was new. Much to my amazement, I hadn't been on LHC since 10/19!

So, catching up -
Hair growth has reached a little over 30" and is sloooooooow.
Shamp/cond about twice a week (shampoo on scalp only)
Using more oils (mostly jojoba and coconut)
Misting regularly
Still coloring using Robert Craig
Wearing hair up more often than not

My question:

All of a sudden, my hair seems to have developed a tendency to tangle. It's never really done this before, and I'm a bit mystified. It seems to have happened when it got to 30", and it tangles regardless of whether I have it up, down, braided, bunned....

I haven't changed products or routines...I guess the only thing that changed is that I went from 29.5 inches to 30.1.

My ends are dryish, but in pretty good shape (I get a microtrim every three months, and had one in Sept). I keep them conditioned, misted, oiled, and in an updo most of the time.

Is this just something that happens at this length? (I've never really been this long before) Is there anything more I can be doing? Is it going to go away when I get to, say, 30.5?

I'm also fighting static, but that's just part of living in New Mexico.

Any assistance or words of wisdom, especially from other 'straighties', would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Saldana (still in for the hair-growing long haul....:)

ChloeDharma
November 1st, 2008, 07:37 AM
Hiya :)
Have you tried clarifying? Often people find their ends get tangly when there is build-up.
I find ACV rinses make my hair easier to detangle after washing.

lizzyjo
November 1st, 2008, 11:13 AM
My hair always tangles when I have spilt ends or dry ends. Maybe you need a trim?

Carolyn
November 1st, 2008, 12:47 PM
When I start getting tangles on a regular basis, I grab my hair scissors and spend some time doing S & D. Sometimes it takes a lot of time :rolleyes: My last bout of S & D lasted nearly a week and I worked on it daily. After S & D I'd suggest using a good clarifying shampoo. Adding baking soda to regular shampoo is too harsh for me. There are lots of good clarifying shampoos out there ranging in price from $1 and on up. I don't believe just a regular shampoo with sulfates clarifys the gunkiness off the hair. Clarifying will remove moisture from your hair so do something like a nice long SMT treatment after the clarifying wash. After that a little oil on the ends to keep them moist and supple.

Curlsgirl
November 2nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
I have never had hair this long either and I have noticed the same thing. I get more tangles as it gets longer too and my hair is healthy and I trim pretty regularly. I think maybe we're just not used to longer hair. I never got tangles when mine was BSL and above and didn't understand what everyone was talking about all the time LOL. I do now!

Amara
November 2nd, 2008, 03:48 PM
I would do a serious S&D over the course of a few days or a week or whatever you can manage. It usually makes a serious difference when I'm getting all tangly. You also might need to do a slightly bigger or an additional small trim and see if that helps (I'd do the S&D first).

chantiny
November 3rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
Just want to let you know you're not alone! My hair was hitting the top of BSL and now that it's hitting the bottom of BSL, it is tangling like mad. That's actually one of the main reasons I joined the forum. Perhaps its just the weather/seasonal change. I noticed I'm shedding a little more as well. Clarifying time! :patrol: