PDA

View Full Version : For those that haven't seen this: The $1,500 Haircut

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 09:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khoxua0NDTo&feature=youtu.be

What a scam. :mad::mad:.. you know he's laughing all the way to the bank.

FennFire911
June 7th, 2018, 09:33 AM
What the hek?
It *is* a nice cut, and he was very respectful for working with hair instead of against it. But $1500?? How about no!

littlestarface
June 7th, 2018, 09:35 AM
1,500 for a shampoo a guy to play with your hair and add leave ins.. nice.

It looked exactly the same only shorter.

zanelle
June 7th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Ouch :disgust:

ravenskey
June 7th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Oh My God... How expensive are haircuts in the USA?

When my Mum and I got our hair trimmed a few months ago we paid €15 for both of us!

FennFire911
June 7th, 2018, 09:54 AM

When my Mum and I got our hair trimmed a few months ago we paid €15 for both of us!

Where I live, I pay around $25 for a wash and trim when I bother. It’s been a while, but I know it hasn’t increased to $1500 lol

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 09:57 AM
For a cut, wash and blow-out, it can easily be 1$00 here (and that's not considered high). My last trim, with a wash, but without a blowout maybe 3 or so weeks ago was $60 bucks. But this NYC, and I'm in Manhattan.

AutobotsAttack
June 7th, 2018, 09:58 AM

Don’t let this video fool you lol.

Haircuts and trims in the US can be as cheap as 5$.

lapushka
June 7th, 2018, 10:02 AM
I don't watch videos like that; clickbait - why? Why do they do it? So it can "blow up" on their channel, because a 1,500 dollar haircut, everyone is going to click on that right. Or am I just too sarcastic. ;) :p

littlestarface
June 7th, 2018, 10:02 AM
GM salon are also pretty cha-ching$$$ too and its just a trim.

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 10:05 AM

This guy is a rip-off. There is nothing in that cut, or the products he used that would justify that price.

It would have to include, a brunch with Ostera caviar, white truffles, and a few glasses of Krug Clos in take home Baccarat champagne flutes, for it to be worth that price.

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 10:06 AM
I don't watch videos like that; clickbait - why? Why do they do it? So it can "blow up" on their channel, because a 1,500 dollar haircut, everyone is going to click on that right. Or am I just too sarcastic. ;) :p

huh? that's a refinery 29 video.

Aredhel
June 7th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Lol...ridiculous.:rolleyes:

lapushka
June 7th, 2018, 10:19 AM
huh? that's a refinery 29 video.

What's a "refinery29" video? :?: Isn't it a YT channel just like so many out there?

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 10:24 AM
What's a "refinery29" video? :?: Isn't it a YT channel just like so many out there?

yeah but it's not clickbait. they do some very interesting videos.. many of them based on beauty in various cultures. They're definitely not clickbait.

littlestarface
June 7th, 2018, 10:29 AM
yeah but it's not clickbait. they do some very interesting videos.. many of them based on beauty in various cultures. They're definitely not clickbait.

Yea that's not clickbait clickbait is when they put a title as one thing but the video is about something else just to get your attention. It wasn't clickbait cuz this dumb girl actually paid that much for said trim.

lapushka
June 7th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Oooh, I thought clickbait was whenever they try to reel you in with whatever to get your attention. My mistake.

She did mention 1,500 dollars, but maybe she didn't even have to pay because she advertised the salon? I mean, you just don't know these days... :shrug: I just no longer believe a lot of what I see on YT. :(

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Oooh, I thought clickbait was whenever they try to reel you in with whatever to get your attention. My mistake.

She did mention 1,500 dollars, but maybe she didn't even have to pay because she advertised the salon? I mean, you just don't know these days... :shrug: I just no longer believe a lot of what I see on YT. :(

She didn't pay anything.. maybe refinery 29 did, or maybe he did it for free to get the attention, I don't know. But this salon is in my city, and yes, that's how much they charge for a cut with him.

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 12:41 PM
She didn't pay anything.. maybe refinery 29 did, or maybe he did it for free to get the attention, I don't know. But this salon is in my city, and yes, that's how much they charge for a cut with him.

eta: it's important to emphasize the price was because he cut it. the salon itself, while expensive, does not charge this much for haircuts with their other stylists. He's the owners, creator..what not Mr. Frou frou.

Katsura
June 7th, 2018, 12:50 PM
What, no scalp massage with washing? I got that in my salon, it was great. (I cut my own hair nowadays, so no massage anymore...)
I don't remember what a trim cost, but it was about 80€ alltogether with a nice dye too.

daisy rei
June 7th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Once again, playing to the stupid people who believe "the more expensive it is, the better the quality it must be."

Stray_mind
June 7th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Pffft. I got my hair washed with professional shampoo and conditioner, my scalp skin massaged with a minty gel to reduce itching (which worked wonders btw), my hair trimmed, combed and dried...and a lovely chat with my stylist, while she was working...

And i payed 13 euros. This is such a waste of money.

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 01:23 PM
There's absolutely nothing special about her haircut to warrant that price tag regardless of who's cutting it. Her hair looks mostly the same to me, just shorter.

ursaV
June 7th, 2018, 02:15 PM
I'm laughing because she wound up with almost the exact same haircut my mom gets for $15 at the local salon... Just hop over to Long Island Refinery29 we're much less pretentious than this guy :lol:

daisy rei
June 7th, 2018, 02:18 PM
There's absolutely nothing special about her haircut to warrant that price tag regardless of who's cutting it. Her hair looks mostly the same to me, just shorter.

I could understand how an elaborate dyeing/coloring process or even a braiding session might cost up to $1,500, but definitely not a cut.

But she's clearly paying for the "name" or the "prestige" that comes with the brand.

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 02:18 PM
I'm laughing because she wound up with almost the exact same haircut my mom gets for $15 at the local salon... Just hop over to Long Island Refinery29 we're much less pretentious than this guy :lol:

15 bucks on Long Island?? Where?? lol

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 02:22 PM
I could understand how an elaborate dyeing/coloring process or even a braiding session might cost up to $1,5000, but definitely not a cut.

But she's clearly paying for the "name" or the "prestige" that comes with the brand.

I think she's paying for him, the owner to cut it. The salon itself has prices much more in-line with the other high end salons here.

eta: but I completely agree about the coloring process.. yes, that could easily run up to 1.5k, especially with a cut and blow-out.

Arciela
June 7th, 2018, 03:03 PM
I've seen this..actually I've seen worse..lol I live in the city too, my friend gets her hair trimmed for $500.00 here. I prefer to do my own trimming for free haha

ursaV
June 7th, 2018, 03:04 PM
15 bucks on Long Island?? Where?? lol

I know right?? She skips the blow dry which would bring it up to a grand total of $20, but luckily some things are still cheap out here for us middle class suburbanites. Now if only housing would follow suit :rolleyes:

softheartedandl
June 7th, 2018, 03:13 PM
The cut was really pretty but I thought her hair before was gorgeous! Maybe it's just me who's more a fan of the natural look? :(

chiapommama
June 7th, 2018, 03:31 PM
No way I would pay that much for just a trim. Ripoff.

browneyedsusan
June 7th, 2018, 03:41 PM
1,500 for a shampoo a guy to play with your hair and add leave ins.. nice.

It looked exactly the same only shorter.

I thought the same thing!
I can experiment with a LOT of leave-ins for $1500! I'm glad she's happy with her haircut. :)

lapushka
June 7th, 2018, 04:06 PM
OMG now the amount I saved by not even trimming it myself is extortionate. LOL! ;)

I was on quite a few no trimming challenges these past years. I'm not even using and wearing away my shears. That's worth something, right. :lol:

Xlena
June 7th, 2018, 04:56 PM
It's just a layers haircut :rolleyes: Here that costs 5-15€ (being 15€ considered expensive xd)

cjk
June 7th, 2018, 05:16 PM
HAHAHAHA! New Yorkers are so stupid!

Seriously, though, the price has nothing to do with the haircut. You're paying for the privilege of getting a haircut from HIM. And, to be perfectly frank, it's an attractive haircut that was competently administered, so if he is capable of commanding that sort of price, more power to him.

Paul McCartney actually wrote a song about this sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDthfiHNl-M

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 05:21 PM
HAHAHAHA! New Yorkers are so stupid!

Seriously, though, the price has nothing to do with the haircut. You're paying for the privilege of getting a haircut from HIM. And, to be perfectly frank, it's an attractive haircut that was competently administered, so if he is capable of commanding that sort of price, more power to him.

Paul McCartney actually wrote a song about this sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDthfiHNl-M

Why are you so damn rude? There's plenty of us New Yorkers on this forum and I can assure you, none of us are "stupid."

cjk
June 7th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Why are you so damn rude? There's plenty of us New Yorkers on this forum and I can assure you, none of us are "stupid."

Well I had intended it as lighthearted sarcasm, but obviously it didn't come across that way.

Sorry.

MoonRabbit
June 7th, 2018, 05:33 PM
I agree it is paying for the privilege. If someone wants to feel "superior" by having an expensive cut then I see nothing wrong with the dude charging that price. If anyone would actually pay that amount it would be to flex after. Like how people will pay 600 dollars for a plain Gucci T shirt. It may be ridiculous but there are people out there that want it so why not make the money off of them...

cathair
June 7th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Yea that's not clickbait clickbait is when they put a title as one thing but the video is about something else just to get your attention. It wasn't clickbait cuz this dumb girl actually paid that much for said trim.

Is the name calling necessary? How would you feel reading that if someone said that about you.

If it makes her happy and she can afford it, more power to her. It's her hair, her choice. Just like long hair is ours.

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 06:05 PM
I agree it is paying for the privilege. If someone wants to feel "superior" by having an expensive cut then I see nothing wrong with the dude charging that price. If anyone would actually pay that amount it would be to flex after. Like how people will pay 600 dollars for a plain Gucci T shirt. It may be ridiculous but there are people out there that want it so why not make the money off of them...

Yeah, the privilege, that's all it is- not the actual haircut as there was nothing "bespoke" about it.

The Gucci tee comparison.
Aside from paying for the name (yes, huge mark-up), you're also paying for the quality of the cotton, the fit, and I'm pretty sure Gucci goods are made in Italy so the manufacturing as well.
At the end of the day, it's a much better t-shirt, and feels pretty good on, enough that you notice it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy the 30 buck one over the 600 Gucci any day, but the quality difference is definitely there.

daisy rei
June 7th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Yeah, the privilege, that's all it is- not the actual haircut as there was nothing "bespoke" about it.

Aside from paying for the name (yes, huge mark-up), you're also paying for the quality of the cotton, the fit, and I'm pretty sure Gucci goods are made in Italy so the manufacturing as well.
At the end of the day, it's a much better t-shirt, and feels pretty good on, enough that you notice it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll buy the 30 buck one over the 600 Gucci any day, but the quality difference is definitely there.

The idea that a Gucci t-shirt is "better quality" is ridiculous! They're made in the exact same Malaysian factories as the $6 ones!

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 07:41 PM
The idea that a Gucci t-shirt is "better quality" is ridiculous! They're made in the exact same Malaysian factories as the $6 ones!

Last I checked they were made in Italy. Unless of course Gucci, their labels, and Kering, the group who owns Gucci is lying.

Starchild494
June 7th, 2018, 07:44 PM
Did you guys see the one where the uses fire and swords?

https://youtu.be/0IBZ1PxmOAw

Um.... No thank you

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 08:15 PM

Um.... No thank you

I wouldn't let him anywhere near me with those swords, or that little blow torch.. :scared::scared:

cjk
June 7th, 2018, 09:11 PM

Um.... No thank you

WOW!

Scary, but somehow cool.

And it's a no from me, too.

Astrid Carlisle
June 8th, 2018, 03:40 AM
I watched it yesterday, was on my YT feed. So ridiculous and funnily, the lady didn't even give an opinion in the end.

Astrid Carlisle
June 8th, 2018, 03:42 AM
You can pay for so many really proper things with that money... like education, put it in for a car, rent...

Joules
June 8th, 2018, 04:29 AM

I think the shoes comparison would be better.

I prefer more expensive footwear because my feet are delicate af. I can get awful blisters even from beach slippers, plus I like long walks, and something slightly uncomfortable would turn into medieval torture after 5th mile. I still get blisters with leather shoes, but it's mothing compared to the bloodbath faux leather stuff would give me. Plus my feet are shaped weirdly and only a few particular brands make shoes that can fit me. Meanwhile my friends wear faux leather generic stuff half the price of my shoes and think I'm spoiled.

But here's the thing: haircuts isn't the same as clothes and shoes. I can understand that a 2000$ dye job from Guy Tang might be worth it, because the guy is a genius, but a cut? They're all the same in the end of the day. And they definitely can't make your hair significantly different, you'll end up with the same hair just in different length (or lengths). If you're filthy rich and 1500 dollars is pocket change for you, then by all means, go for it. If not, then jeeez, half of this forum self-trims and their hair looks better than the majority of the population.

Also, some of the quality feeling is bias. You paid more, you expect more, your brain makes you see only good things. Same thing might happen with cheap stuff: you subconsciously expect it to be bad, so your brain tricks you into seeing things worse than they are.

ravenskey
June 8th, 2018, 05:38 AM

Um.... No thank you

Okay, this is just scary shudder:

iforgotmylogin
June 8th, 2018, 05:45 AM
For $1,500 I would want a limo to pick me up and drive me home, an all you can eat gourmet buffet, an all you can drink bar tab, a carton of smokes, an ounce of cannabis and some uncut cocaine

Mademoiselle
June 8th, 2018, 06:16 AM
If I had 1500$ at this moment I would go to the Caribbean with everything included, and damage my hair with the sun and the sea and I would not mind doing it :cheese:

littlestarface
June 8th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Is the name calling necessary? How would you feel reading that if someone said that about you.

If it makes her happy and she can afford it, more power to her. It's her hair, her choice. Just like long hair is ours.
If I was paying for a trim for that price and broadcasting it to the world I deserve to be called any name in the book and off the books too.

Sorry but comparing designer brands to a hair trim doesn't even make sense, its not even in the same ballpark not even the same sport.

Um.... No thank you
What the!!!!?!????!

MoonRabbit
June 8th, 2018, 10:16 AM

I get that but honestly if someone would be willing to pay 1500 for a cut, that person feels like they are getting better quality, in well trained hands, possibly being serviced by an established stylist. It no longer becomes just a cut (yes a 1500 cut may appear exactly the same as a 10 dollar cut from supercuts) but that these prices you are paying for a a brand.

Joules
June 8th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Swords and fire? What an amateur!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwB71PSlXs4

MoonRabbit
June 8th, 2018, 10:30 AM
If I was paying for a trim for that price and broadcasting it to the world I deserve to be called any name in the book and off the books too.

Sorry but comparing designer brands to a hair trim doesn't even make sense, its not even in the same ballpark not even the same sport.

What the!!!!?!????!

I wasn't really comparing it like that in that way. What I meant was, if I personally was in need of a plain shirt, my first choice would be a 5 pack of plain ts from Walmart because it would be quick, cheap, and get the job done. Same as if I needed a cut, I would go to a salon that charged like 20 bucks because all I would need is just that a trim...At 1500 dollars, I feel like people are paying for the privileged experience, and yes, from a well established 'brand'.

littlestarface
June 8th, 2018, 10:41 AM
I wasn't really comparing it like that in that way. What I meant was, if I personally was in need of a plain shirt, my first choice would be a 5 pack of plain ts from Walmart because it would be quick, cheap, and get the job done. Same as if I needed a cut, I would go to a salon that charged like 20 bucks because all I would need is just that a trim...At 1500 dollars, I feel like people are paying for the privileged experience, and yes, from a well established 'brand'.

I feel like that trim would be just for bragging about it like "oh yea well I get my hair cut for so n so thousand dollars" *holds up chin* cuz who's honestly gonna see a difference when it comes to hair a cut. Unlike designer clothes at least one can see the wonderful superior craftsmanship you know.

I at least actually hope this guy uses the most sharpest most rarest damask steel handcrafted by the ancient artisans of japan scissors known to any man on earth or in the galaxy for that matter to cut said hairs.

MoonRabbit
June 8th, 2018, 11:06 AM
I feel like that trim would be just for bragging about it like "oh yea well I get my hair cut for so n so thousand dollars" *holds up chin* cuz who's honestly gonna see a difference when it comes to hair a cut. Unlike designer clothes at least one can see the wonderful superior craftsmanship you know.

I at least actually hope this guy uses the most sharpest most rarest damask steel handcrafted by the ancient artisans of japan scissors known to any man on earth or in the galaxy for that matter to cut said hairs.

Dollars to donuts that customer would be flexing about it nonstop.

I definitely feel like that place would have to have something going for it to be able to charge that price, maybe the best equipment, trained professionals, possibly the stylist does celebrity hair..if not then I tip my hat to the owner for getting such naive people to fall for it.

lunasea
June 8th, 2018, 11:12 AM

Conan cuts your hair!

bparnell75
June 8th, 2018, 11:16 AM
If I had 1500$ at this moment I would go to the Caribbean with everything included, and damage my hair with the sun and the sea and I would not mind doing it :cheese:

Yup I could fin alot of other things to use that money on. I don't need the STATUS. but then I am sure I do not move in the same circles she does.

ravenskey
June 8th, 2018, 11:25 AM

I would NOT trust an axe that close to my head.

nycelle
June 8th, 2018, 11:28 AM
I get that but honestly if someone would be willing to pay 1500 for a cut, that person feels like they are getting better quality, in well trained hands, possibly being serviced by an established stylist. It no longer becomes just a cut (yes a 1500 cut may appear exactly the same as a 10 dollar cut from supercuts) but that these prices you are paying for a a brand.

yeah i understand.. too bad with something like a haircut, they're really not getting a better quality cut that they would with anyone who's a good stylist.
but yes, the bragging rights are there.

i'm one of those people that will spend big bucks on certain things like shoes, handbags and scarves by a particular company. but it has to be a substantial piece, and I have to see the quality in the material and workmanship. i think that's why i'm having such a tough time wrapping my head around this..

nycelle
June 8th, 2018, 11:34 AM

Not in this life time.

nycelle
June 8th, 2018, 11:37 AM

YES!! You'd find me in St. Martin, on Maho beach watching the planes come in, and drinking at my favorite beach bar. Had the best time of my life there.

GrowlingCupcake
June 8th, 2018, 12:06 PM

If I had an extra $1,500, that's going back in the bank to make up for hair toy spending xD

RE: the haircut - That's just insane. Yeah, it's a prestige/status thing but I mean, I hate coughing up $12 for a two inch trim so... I'm cheap as hell?

*Wednesday*
June 8th, 2018, 12:14 PM
I spent about that for my pool to be opened, closed, and maintained for the summer. A cute little pool boy comes with it 😘 a haircut, no way.

Chromis
June 8th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Modly reminder. Please remember our KNIT Rule! A brief refresher:

Before you hit the "Submit" button, review what you're about to say.

Is it Kind?
Is it Necessary?
Is it Informative?
Is it True?

Starchild494
June 8th, 2018, 05:06 PM
That axe video is just a silly as the guy with the blow torch and swords.... Again that's a no for me

afreckledgirl
June 9th, 2018, 06:53 AM
For that price, I was expecting the works, plus some freebies. Erm, I don't understand what he did that was worth $1500. :rolleyes:

enting
June 12th, 2018, 07:06 AM
Oh my goodness, how much upkeep is that going to need? It's never going to look that good after day 1 without doing all the same manipulation to it every day. Her hair is naturally wurlier than that. I just watched the first few seconds of hairstyling and skipped to the final product. She could probably do just as well learning how to oil and use leave ins on her own rather than whatever this cut entailed.

Agabeth
June 13th, 2018, 11:20 AM
For $1500 I would want the magic comb from the Stardust movie that Captain Shakespeare uses to make Tristan's hair grow. Actually, for that I might pay $3000.

MusicalSpoons
June 13th, 2018, 11:33 AM
yeah i understand.. too bad with something like a haircut, they're really not getting a better quality cut that they would with anyone who's a good stylist.
but yes, the bragging rights are there.

i'm one of those people that will spend big bucks on certain things like shoes, handbags and scarves by a particular company. but it has to be a substantial piece, and I have to see the quality in the material and workmanship. i think that's why i'm having such a tough time wrapping my head around this..

I too am willing to pay somewhat more (not big money, but still definitely more) for significantly better quality items for similar reasons, but also because I expect such items to last MUCH longer than a cheap version. This haircut isn't going to last any longer than an ordinary or cheap haircut, because the hair still grows! :laugh:

EDIT: even for bragging rights, $1500 is a phenomenally huge sum of money to pay - maybe it's just the bragging rights of 'look how much money I had spare to spend on something that will only last a few weeks' :rolleyes:

Dendra
June 13th, 2018, 04:32 PM
I cannot believe that guy chops hair with an axe, why?!

nycelle
June 13th, 2018, 04:45 PM
I too am willing to pay somewhat more (not big money, but still definitely more) for significantly better quality items for similar reasons, but also because I expect such items to last MUCH longer than a cheap version. This haircut isn't going to last any longer than an ordinary or cheap haircut, because the hair still grows! :laugh:

EDIT: even for bragging rights, $1500 is a phenomenally huge sum of money to pay - maybe it's just the bragging rights of 'look how much money I had spare to spend on something that will only last a few weeks' :rolleyes:

Yep, same. It has to last much longer.

I have two high end designer bags that go back to 2004 and 2005. The leather and color saturation on them is unreal, just beautiful. You would never guess the bags are that old, and I still use them today.

Have another one from the same house that goes back to 2003, again gorgeous leather but this one has seen better days. Too much bulldog drool on leather is a no-no..lol..

nycelle
June 13th, 2018, 04:45 PM

For the shock factor I'm guessing. Nothing else would make sense.

Beckstar
June 13th, 2018, 11:16 PM
Just give me the $1500 and I'll cut my own.

Joules
June 14th, 2018, 02:02 AM

to get attention and publicity, obviously :D his haircuts don't even look good :D

Dendra
June 14th, 2018, 02:26 AM
For the shock factor I'm guessing. Nothing else would make sense.

to get attention and publicity, obviously :D his haircuts don't even look good :D

I guess :laugh: I mean it can't be that accurate or good for the hair right.

Anastasia Hope
June 14th, 2018, 02:49 AM
omg what a rip off

enting
June 15th, 2018, 02:12 AM
For $1500 I would want the magic comb from the Stardust movie that Captain Shakespeare uses to make Tristan's hair grow. Actually, for that I might pay $3000.

I think a lot of people out there would pay for that magic comb! (I love that movie.)