PDA

View Full Version : What is build-up?

Astrid Carlisle
June 7th, 2018, 04:17 AM
This might be a silly question, but I can't understand what build up from silicone conditioners etc looks/feels like, how do I know if I have any?
If anyone can help with this, I'd be very thankful, because this further confuses me regarding the "using the silicone conditioners if you don't get build-up" idea, since I can't understand if I have any and can't apply/relate to the discussions regarding cones :)

Meggypoo
June 7th, 2018, 05:02 AM
Many silicones aren't water soluble so they stick to your hair in thicker and thicker layers, which can lead to your hair looking dull or feeling limp and heavy. If you use conditioner with a non-soluble silicone such as dimethicone, it needs to be washed out with a shampoo that contains sulfates.

Cybercat
June 7th, 2018, 05:04 AM
In some cases your shampoo and conditioner will both have cones. So there is a build up on them as they are never washed out. But many combo shampoo and conditioner today, the shampoo is cone free. So no real build up.

Build up itself will feel heavy and waxy and leave your hair dull. If you dye your hair, use a color safe shampoo and conditioner combo. I use either BioTera from Sally's or VO5 color protect, or Tresemme color revitalize. All are good and either have little cones to no cones. My fave is the first as it's also Sulfate free and Paraben free. VO5 is my next favorite and is easy to get in most stores. Most color safe shampoo and conditioner is more mild and contains UV protection to help color last longer. Hope this helps.

TreesOfEternity
June 7th, 2018, 06:03 AM
I feel it because my ends go from being soft to being stiff and dry, tangling to each other like crazy as if my hair was velcro.

Astrid Carlisle
June 7th, 2018, 06:23 AM
Thank you, ladies! That explains it well :)

Astrid Carlisle
June 7th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Many silicones aren't water soluble so they stick to your hair in thicker and thicker layers, which can lead to your hair looking dull or feeling limp and heavy. If you use conditioner with a non-soluble silicone such as dimethicone, it needs to be washed out with a shampoo that contains sulfates.

Ah! It has Amodimethicone :doh: So using a basic shampoo like Pantene (like Classic Clean) or any other basic one with sulfate with get rid of it? What if there is dimethicone in the shampoo too? I need to use one completely without silicones? Should I also use it on the lengths to rid the lengths of the buildup? I started CO washing, and I havent shampood since 4 weeks ago (and even then it was a gentle shampoo). And maybe diluted lemon juice rinse?

spidermom
June 7th, 2018, 06:59 AM
If you're using a shampoo that contains a sulfate, you won't get buildup.

lapushka
June 7th, 2018, 07:09 AM
This might be a silly question, but I can't understand what build up from silicone conditioners etc looks/feels like, how do I know if I have any?
If anyone can help with this, I'd be very thankful, because this further confuses me regarding the "using the silicone conditioners if you don't get build-up" idea, since I can't understand if I have any and can't apply/relate to the discussions regarding cones :)

Build-up is residue upon residue, this doesn't often immediately happen, of "old product" that hasn't been washed out, often silicones, but waxes and butters can do that as well.

And spidermom is right too, if you sulfate wash, there is nothing to worry about! Just be mindful of putting shampoo on the ends as well sometimes, and not just "always" letting the suds just run down (and put shampoo on the nape too, as I often see people just skip that).

MusicalSpoons
June 7th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Amodimethicone is apparently a special case. It bonds to the hair (in the same way that any other conditioning agent does, with the negatively charged molecules of the conditioning agent being attracted to positively charged areas of hair; more damage = more positively charged) but not to itself, so it shouldn't actually build up. Also PEG-(number)-silicones are water-soluble to an extent.

On the rare occasion I've clarified (for residue from oils, usually) I've squished the shampoo lather down my lengths then let it sit for a while in a loose bun while I got on with other shower duties, rather than rinsing straight away. I don't know if it actually makes any difference but I wanted to be sure!

Edit: removed repetition - didn't see a previous post before commenting

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 07:28 AM
In my case, I didn't really understand what build-up was until going silicone free (I was already sulfate free for months before that.)

My hair started feeling very sticky/tacky about 3 weeks ago, and my usual 'poo/condition routine didn't work so I had to clarify.

I think I got buildup when I switched to much heavier conditioners and leave-ins when I went silicone free. So now, I'll be clarifying regularly so it doesn't happen again.

Astrid Carlisle
June 7th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Thank you so much, everyone! Is it okay though if the sulfate shampoo ALSO has Dimethicone or other cones?

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Thank you so much, everyone! Is it okay though if the sulfate shampoo ALSO has Dimethicone or other cones?

If you're not cone free, sure. I was sulfate free for months before I went cone free.

Astrid Carlisle
June 7th, 2018, 09:38 AM
If you're not cone free, sure. I was sulfate free for months before I went cone free.

I mean, because I will use shampoo to get rid of the buildup and cone that my mask has (which I use as CO wash), and it will have cone itself.. so will it even get rid of the buildup? I don't know how stupid my question is on a scale 1-10 :pray:

nycelle
June 7th, 2018, 09:42 AM
I was only sulfate free because sulfates irritate my scalp so I never cared if my shampoo had silicones.. but this is an interesting question. I mean it should.. but...?? hmm..

TreesOfEternity
June 7th, 2018, 09:49 AM
I mean, because I will use shampoo to get rid of the buildup and cone that my mask has (which I use as CO wash), and it will have cone itself.. so will it even get rid of the buildup? I don't know how stupid my question is on a scale 1-10 :pray:

I know what you mean, I honestly don’t know what’s the point in them putting cones into a shampoo if it’s own sulfates are going to get rid of it, I don’t understand the chemistry behind that. But if so many shampoo brands do that is shouldn’t cause build up otherwise people’s hair would be a mess.

lapushka
June 7th, 2018, 10:04 AM

I prefer to use sulfate but silicone-free shampoos. Sometimes the shampoo does have silicones, though, and I have to be careful (SD, seborrheic dermatitis), but once in a while it's fine.

I'm sure it's fine, if once in a while you clarify with a sulfate-only shampoo (no silicones)!

MoonRabbit
June 7th, 2018, 10:10 AM
I know what you mean, I honestly don’t know what’s the point in them putting cones into a shampoo if it’s own sulfates are going to get rid of it, I don’t understand the chemistry behind that. But if so many shampoo brands do that is shouldn’t cause build up otherwise people’s hair would be a mess.

I have cones in my current shampoo and it make my buildup worse. I notice when cones are present in shampoos my hair is never squeaky clean after rinsing, there is actually a decent slip to it.

EdG
June 7th, 2018, 11:00 AM
There is more than one kind of build-up.

Since I use water-only washing, the build-up I get is composed of lint and waxy sebum. It is stubborn stuff, removable only by careful combing.
Ed

lapushka
June 7th, 2018, 12:47 PM
I have cones in my current shampoo and it make my buildup worse. I notice when cones are present in shampoos my hair is never squeaky clean after rinsing, there is actually a decent slip to it.

I don't know. I sometimes have a squeaky clean feel after a silicone shampoo ("zijde-doorkammer" (=Dutch) by Schwarzkopf, the pink bottle), and sometimes I just have a mild silky feel after a regular no silicone shampoo. It is just plain odd to me; and I can't get to the bottom of it, but there are so many more ingredients in a shampoo!

MusicalSpoons
June 7th, 2018, 02:10 PM

I don't know. I sometimes have a squeaky clean feel after a silicone shampoo ("zijde-doorkammer" (=Dutch) by Schwarzkopf, the pink bottle), and sometimes I just have a mild silky feel after a regular no silicone shampoo. It is just plain odd to me; and I can't get to the bottom of it, but there are so many more ingredients in a shampoo!

I think it depends on so many factors - the other ingredients, how your hair handles things, what other products you use and so on. For me, I tried Head & Shoulders for a while (before going sulphate- and cone-free) and it just made my hair a greaseball. I don't know that the silicone built up particularly, but my hair just couldn't take silicones at the roots. Neither can my brother's hair (though he spent years refusing to try anything else despite it never looking clean even straight after washing :rolleyes: in fairness, it did the job for his dandruff, just didn't appear to clean the hair!)

Astrid Carlisle it's probably safer to use a silicone-free shampoo to properly clarify. That way you can be sure it will have done the job, and they're not difficult to find :)

lapushka
June 7th, 2018, 04:10 PM
I think it depends on so many factors - the other ingredients, how your hair handles things, what other products you use and so on. For me, I tried Head & Shoulders for a while (before going sulphate- and cone-free) and it just made my hair a greaseball. I don't know that the silicone built up particularly, but my hair just couldn't take silicones at the roots. Neither can my brother's hair (though he spent years refusing to try anything else despite it never looking clean even straight after washing :rolleyes: in fairness, it did the job for his dandruff, just didn't appear to clean the hair!)

Yes I think so too, each shampoo is its own unique bundle of ingredients. You can never predict what it's gonna do. I'm pretty OK using my shampoos up these past months, so... I guess it's fine.

I haven't had that experience with H&S. It cleans really well for me.

Astrid Carlisle it's probably safer to use a silicone-free shampoo to properly clarify. That way you can be sure it will have done the job, and they're not difficult to find :)

^^ Totally agree!

MoonRabbit
June 7th, 2018, 05:20 PM

True, it is really odd. I am currently using up my Tresemme curl hydration shampoo and conditioner, both contain cones. The shampoo leaves my hair pretty silky and doesn't do jack to clean the build up from the conditioner..which I find really weird.

Astrid Carlisle
June 8th, 2018, 02:12 AM
Thank you everyone for your input and patience!!! :pegasus: I will get a silicone free, but sulfate containing shampoo!! I really really appreciate all your help :D

lapushka
June 8th, 2018, 06:30 AM
True, it is really odd. I am currently using up my Tresemme curl hydration shampoo and conditioner, both contain cones. The shampoo leaves my hair pretty silky and doesn't do jack to clean the build up from the conditioner..which I find really weird.

Maybe switch the bottles up, and don't use matching shampoo/conditioner. It may help. :shrug: I never have matching sets. :o