PDA

View Full Version : How often do you henna?

MeMyselfandI
March 22nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
How often do you henna?

Do you henna to cover greys or just to refresh colour, new growth, condition hair?

Do you do your growth?

Do you do your length?

I was going to change the poll to read:

2 weeks --> 2-3 weeks
4 weeks --> monthly.

abqbelly
March 22nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
i have been doing it every week! trying to get my hair in good shape.

MeMyselfandI
March 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Now, my hair I have done 3 of then in 13 days. Ouch sounds like a lot.

Once I figure out the colour. I think I will be doing it 2-3 weeks. That is the maximum I can stand my greys showing.

MeMyselfandI
March 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Please Delete.

khyricat
March 22nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
I henna every 3 weeks, but as it wasn't an option put 4, which is what I hit when life gets the better of me, I can't stand the amount of roots after 4 weeks, so its every 3-4 weeks as time allows realistically

zift
March 22nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
I henndigo when my hair needs the color. I don't have roots showing because they're already dark colored but the indigo fades quickly so I had to redo it every 3 weeks or so to put the darkness back.

MadHatter
March 22nd, 2008, 01:21 PM
I henna my roots every month. I've noticed that when a month is gone and that much of my roots are showing, it makes all of my hair look more *brown*. But when I henna the roots, all of my hair looks unmistakably red again. Weird.

cassie_g
March 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
I've only henna-ed once. Just a chunk of hair in the front.

prosperina
March 22nd, 2008, 02:22 PM
Every three to four weeks depending on time. I usually just do the hair all around my hair line, at my temples and the places on top that will show. I bother with the underlying roots (I have tons of hair) that don't show when they start to show. :D

karishaf
March 22nd, 2008, 02:46 PM
I have only hennaed once so far. But I used to dye my hair all of the time. I chose to cover grey every 6 weeks, but it is also because of new growth. Mainly the grey though...it drives me crazy, I have not come to terms with it yet.

akurah
March 22nd, 2008, 07:29 PM
I henna anywhere between once every week to once every three months.

It just depends on how much I want to play with mud.

tiny_teesha
March 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
My option isn't in there.
I am aiming for natural hair, so i am only hennaing my already damaged hair from hair dye monthly-ish not to the day.

Gothic Lolita
March 24th, 2008, 03:27 AM
I Hennagloss every 4-8 weeks. My original color is very similiar to the henna one, so my roots aren't really showing up, you can't tell where the henna starts and the new growth ends, it's kind od blurred. Normally, I henna when I think my hair needs color.

winter
March 24th, 2008, 04:07 AM
I do it every two months to cover up new growth. I am lazy and don't want to do it every month, and I actaully like the roots showing a bit. It looks nice.

squiggyflop
March 24th, 2008, 06:02 AM
it really depends on how much growth i get... if i grow half an inch in 2 weeks i henna every 2 weeks if i get half an inch in a month i henna once a month... whenever my roots are really showing i henna

Remke
March 24th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Every 4-6 weeks. Sometimes all of it, the other times just till my ears and the length with coconut cream.

Nightshade
March 24th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I do root touchups once a month. I'd do it every 3 weeks, which is when I need it, but I'm not about to bother my SO about my hair more than I already do :o

almudena
March 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM
To cover greys every three weeks

wintersun99
March 24th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I voted "for new growth, 2 months"

LanaMonsoon
March 24th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I've only done it 4 times. Just whenever my roots are showing... I'm due for another application. This time I'll only do the roots and do a henna gloss on the length, I don't want it to get darker.

birdiefu
March 24th, 2008, 12:42 PM
The first year or so I henna'd, I did it once a week. Well, I alternated a full henna one week and a gloss the next. That was for color and conditioning on my damaged hair.

Nowadays since I'm busier, I just henna when I think I can find the time- that ranges from 3 weeks to 3 months. But I try to do it monthly. You can't really see any roots since my hair is pretty dark, and I mostly henna for the conditioning properties now since my lighter bits have darkened up to blend with my darker hair. I've given up on trying to get RED on my dark hair without doing something drastic to it first.

Islandgrrl
March 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I henna monthly or so and gloss a couple times in between with the leftovers.

Delilah
March 31st, 2008, 03:04 PM
I'm the one who voted 'when my hair needs the conditioning'
The difference in color with or without henna in my hair is negligible.

jesamyn
March 31st, 2008, 05:44 PM
I henna every 4-6 weeks over my entire head. It's partially to cover the silver, partially to refresh the color and keep it as deeply saturated as possible, and partially just because I want to.

lisanoemi
March 31st, 2008, 05:51 PM
I henna every 3-5 weeks depending on the appearance of grays. I henna all over not just the roots.

rainee
April 1st, 2008, 10:49 AM
once every few months when my hair starts looking mousy-brown again in indoor light.

vindo
April 1st, 2008, 01:50 PM
When I feel my hair needs the color and conditioning which is usally after 3 months. I have about 6cm of roots by then and its just getting to dark and the red fades..:(

Nadezhda
April 4th, 2008, 04:13 AM
When I henna'd regularly, I'd do it about every 6 weeks. Now that I'm back to henna-ing, it'll probably be the same thing, along with glosses. Way back when I used to dye my hair with henna, glossing wasn't very common, so when I finally did one last summer, I was shocked at how much colour I got from it. I had lots of henna left over from my first henna session on this hair so I'll probably have a few glosses from that before I do another full-head of pure henna.

Delenn
April 4th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I admit I'm lazy. Usually 2-3 months can go by before I remember to do my roots. Ideally I'd like to do it monthly because fresh-henna on a blonde is wayyyyy different than henna+roots but I'm just not that focused. I'll wake up monday morning and go !@#$ I forgot to henna! :doh:

yzkaloha
April 4th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I Henna once a month for conditioning purposes, since my hair is natural dark, I am not concerned with the color, although I love the reddish hue in the sunlight.

cherryblossom
June 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM
just the once recently

froglet
June 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM
To cover grays, every 4 weeks.

Belisama
June 24th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I have to henna every 3 weeks. I used to go every 4, but my natural hair color is ash blond and looks grey against the red and to me, looked awful. Even 3 weeks is pushing it as I have major rootage going on by then. I just feel every 2 weeks is a little too soon. :shrug:

thankyousir74
November 8th, 2008, 11:12 AM
I just finished my swim season and am celebrating with some henna! I've discovered that there is no clear line of demarcation between my henna and real color, mainly because the color I had got messed with from the chlorine I had before I started hennaing. So yeah I've been missing the brightness from the henna for a while so it's sitting on my head atm. :) It's been like two and a half months since my last henna so I am happy to get back into the habit of caring for my hair after the past three months. (swim season)

Eden Iris
November 8th, 2008, 11:59 AM
My tentative schedule, subject to change if I feel like it:

Full head application every six months
Gloss in between

The last full head was around the equinox, so I will try to remember to do it with the season change. My hair is very dark, so although I do see a color change, roots are not an issue.

Anje
November 8th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Well, I gave up on trying to grow out the henna, so lately the answer is "annually." I henna my roots when I think I have too much showing, but the color is reasonably close to my natural tone, so historically I haven't felt much need to do it more than every 6-8 weeks.

shrimp
November 8th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Other - i.e. when I can be bothered and actually remember to buy the stuff :oops:

joyjoy
November 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I henna the roots about every two week. Last time, I did a SMT on the length at the same time, and then did a coconut oil massage on my scalp after I rinsed out the henna. Then I left the oil on over night, and did a CO wash the next morning. This worked out great for my hair and scalp.

Since I'm doing the roots every two weeks, it's no big deal if I miss a spot or two, which I sometimes do:).

Aisha25
November 8th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I usually do henna when I feel I need it for the conditioning I dont do it for color, so maybe it will be once amonth or 2months also depends if I have it ;)

MandaMom2Three
November 8th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I'm just about to start hennaing but here is my plan. Full head quarterly (my natural colour is reddish brown so I'm not too concerned with roots showing for that length) and a weekly gloss in between.

happymommy
November 8th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm trying to shoot for once a month to cover roots. However I keep forgetting to buy the actual henna, so I've actually gone a couple of months with icky dark ash blonde roots and chestnut length :)

Not a very attractive combination I might add. But, as I type, I've got some green gloop on my head fixing the problem.

AnneAdeline
November 9th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I henna about every two months. My roots don't show all too bad, so I can get get away with it. It's a lot of work, so I try to do it as little as possible.

burns_erin
November 11th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I am mostly hennaing to cover greys, so it depends on how fast my hair is growing how often i really need to, especially as I am doing roots only now. I think it has actually been 6 weeks this time but before it was every 2 & 3 weeks.

GlassEyes
November 11th, 2008, 01:29 PM
My schedule was random. I could go a few months without hennaeing, or I could go only a few weeks. It's mostly for the conditioning rather than the color, but I like that too. :)

I've been overdue for months. My hair is dark enoguh so that no one's commented on roots or anything, but I can tell. XD That, and I think the 'henna barrier' has been worn thin, so I'm overdue for a revamp of the potective coating.

Angharad
August 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
I use cassia as often as I think/feel/see it is needed. My hair is really uplifted, shiny and healthylooking after a treatment, so when it is not, it is time!!!!

There is not really a routine; sometimes it is once a week, once a fortnight or sometimes twice a week for strenghtening my hair.
I now haven't used cassia for almost a month now, so it is about time.

hmmm
November 22nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
I henna every week. Is that weird? :p

ooo
November 26th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I don't henna. It would dry my hair to death. There is also no colour, that I could reach with henna, I'd want.

myrrhmaiden
November 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Help! I can't stop!

hmmm
November 27th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Help! I can't stop!

Lol... me neither. :cheese:

Speckla
November 27th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I do a complete application once a month and then use the little bit of leftovers w/ conditioner to do a gloss about two weeks later. I still get root coverage that way.

halo_tightens
November 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Help! I can't stop!

Lol... me neither. :cheese:

I'm with you guys. :D

After only two weeks or so, I get very unhappy with how my roots look. I always thought my hair had a warm cast to it, but when I see it next to the hennaed length, the color is dead and awful. I have to do the roots to match!

Lately I've just been doing the roots full-strength and doing either a henna gloss or plain SMT on the rest. It took me a while to build up to this level, but now I'm somewhat satisfied.

cobblersmaid
November 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I have been doing it every 3 months, due ot the expense. The roots are terrible, but what are you gonna do?

I did the roots with full henna, and the length gloss. I am not sure if I am going to repeat that this time.

Leah Polamalu
November 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Mmm I would love for my locks to smell like musk.

Leah Polamalu
November 27th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I bought some henna a while ago and haven't gotten the guts to use it yet. Maybe one day.

mira-chan
November 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM
How often do you henna?
When I feel like it, for conditioning. This can be anywhere from 2 months to a year between.

Do you henna to cover greys or just to refresh colour, new growth, condition hair?
For conditioning mostly.

Do you do your growth?Do you do your length?
Roots to tip. every time.

Hagazussas
November 29th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I henna my hair at the latest all 4 weeks. My hair grows fast and, unfortunately, many are grey.

beastair
June 12th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I also do it every 2 weeks!

slythwolf
June 17th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I henna when I see that my roots are getting bad and I have the cash for more henna.

Esther84
June 19th, 2010, 08:30 AM
When I feel my hair needs the colour.

SerenityBlue
June 19th, 2010, 04:04 PM
My time table wasn't in the poll, so I chose other.

I do my henna to cover gray and do it about every 8 weeks due to my hair growing rather slowly. I actually have mine sitting on my hair right now.:) I am doing a full head application this time to get a bit closer to saturation.

JenniferNoel
June 20th, 2010, 02:43 PM
As we speak, I'm still trying to achieve my dream color, and due to lack of patience I've been hennaing once a week. My hair is loving it though, I have the kind of hair that likes lots of treatments and that kind of thing. Once I'm finally satisfied I'll revert to roots only. I'm going to have 25 inches of beautiful deep cherry black-ish brown that slowly fades towards the roots to a bright red-orange on top of my natural tawny-ish red in about a year. Woohoo!

SlightlySoprano
July 17th, 2010, 04:10 PM
I think I'm going to end up doing it about once a month (maybe once every 5-6 weeks?) depending on when I get home... Will vote in the poll once I figure it out!

Prettyeyes23
July 19th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I voted other because I have not used henna yet. Part of the reason I joined this site was to read the articles about henna and to figure out what is going to work for me.

Lemur_Catta
July 19th, 2010, 04:43 AM
For new growth, every 1-2 months. Usually, when the growth is obvious (to me at least :D) or when the color start fading where I had highlights. So I voted "when I feel my hair needs the color).

serious
July 19th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I henna whenever my gray roots are showing, usually it's every 3 or 4 weeks.

Becky9679
March 7th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Only just done my first application but I'm edging towards the idea of weekly gloss applications and a full henna application every month/6 weeks. I want saturation!

Nae
March 7th, 2011, 07:16 AM
About every two to three weeks. I do the roots and then gloss the rest. Mostly because I like to make my henna last and I don't think I am getting any darker on the length anways.

Idun
March 7th, 2011, 07:56 AM
When I did it yesterday I hadnīt been hennaing since september or something like that. I do a henna-cassia mix to cover greys and give a warm glow to my hair. The aftregrowth doesnīt show much at all. Only... now I find the greys are growing in faster and faster, so I think in the future I might henna more often.

jaderose
March 7th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I first used henna three weekends in a row, then waited two or three weeks and did a gloss. I like the ritual of the henna application and sitting around with it on my head all day. (Weird?) One, two, or three times a month. Whenever I feel like it. Use sometimes when I get emotional, as a bit of a change, in the form of a color boost, will brighten my mood as well.

NouvelleNymphe2
March 7th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I chose "other" because I gloss with a cassia or henna mix to add vibrancy to my hair so far about once a month. It gradually rinses out, and then when I feel I need a boost I do another gloss.

MaiCarInMtl
March 7th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Honestly, I henna mine every 1-2 months - it really comes down to when I have some time to put it in and don't mind sleeping in it.

I'll be trying a gloss soon though.

Jeno86
March 8th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I have just started using Henna however, I do it when I see a few inches of new growth and then color the whole thing (growth and length). I think I will start doing it monthly.

Wavelin
May 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
When I used chemical dyes I coloured the roots every month. Now with henna it's about every other month, because it's messier and smells more. :D I do a gloss when I feel the need for it, not every time.

LaceyNg
May 17th, 2011, 01:35 PM
i do a gloss every couple months :)

mamaherrera
May 19th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I have been doing it every day just to learn how and make it work. But man, not even once a week is enough to keep those white hairs hidden around the temple. I'm so wondering if permanent dye would last longer on those roots because I almost spend the same amount of time henna-ing as I do enjoying no whites. This is ridiculous!

GoatLady
June 2nd, 2011, 09:10 PM
I henna every 4 weeks to cover my gray roots. I like red much better than gray.

Scarlet_Heart
June 3rd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Every 6 weeks or so and glosses in between.

CrystalStar
June 3rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
When my roots are bad enough to be embarassing. :p

Seeshami
June 3rd, 2011, 01:20 PM
Normally every two weeks because I am having fun playing with it. Sometimes when I feel like being really really stupid I will really mess up my color trying to fix places I missed. :wigtongue

But right now I cannot re-henna for a month. I am trying the monistat thing and I want to have an easy growth indicator, roots.

Pallas
June 4th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Whenever I want colour/whenever I feel like it. The colour doesn't show up drastically on my hair. It's a noticable red one, especially in the beginning, but you don't notice the roots are a different color unless you hold the ends up to my roots. As of now, I haven't hennead for way over 6 months (!) and the "roots" are veeeery long. I don't mind that, as there's no noticable line, but I'll henna again if I want that *boom* of colour back :)

MagicAndMayhem
June 5th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Whenever, really. I did it once in Nov, once in March, and I hennigoed a few weeks ago and am gonna indigo it again sometime next week since I am doing a color transition.

Amber_Maiden
June 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I do my entire hair monthly, but am going to start doing it every 2 months instead now.

TheMechaGinger
June 28th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I'm a natural red head, so I henna a few times a year for the great silky shine and strength it gives my hair

prettykitty
June 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM
For the time being, monthly. I'm working at building up my colour :)

Tehillim408
July 1st, 2011, 10:15 AM
I henna once every two months.

blueygirls
July 9th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Just curious, how much time has to elapse before you do your next henna? Does that time vary for hendigos?

Catlover
July 17th, 2011, 03:50 AM
I used to henna my hair every month - but seeing I am white/gray without the henna am doing it every two weeks - was going to let it go all natural gray, but got the better of me and decided to henna - will be interesting to see how well the roots covered up this time - yes I am sitting here with henna on my head - trying to leave it on for 6 hours (normally leave it overnight) but have to go to work tomorrow.

Vanessa_za
July 21st, 2011, 07:07 PM
When I feel my hair needs the condtioning. since the color dosen't really show on my dark brown hair.

EAE
July 22nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Every 2 wks to cover my greys/white haris. I have a jet black hair so the white hair really stand out, hate it.