PDA

View Full Version : Why am I still letting my hair grow longer?

M.McDonough
June 3rd, 2018, 09:39 AM
Do you ever ask yourself this question. This is me 3 years ago. That's about 2 years into growth and it was the best time of having long hair for me . Curls are so shiny and ringlety:cool:
Voluminous and defined.

https://s22.postimg.cc/x8bezlpe9/IMG_1127.jpg

Margarita
June 3rd, 2018, 09:53 AM
Im not sure if i ever questioned about this to myself but, i can tell you im still wondering why my hair doesnt grow 10 times faster? lol (common curly problem, being not able to see growth until its straight and wet)
You have amazing curls, wish i had ringlets. I have spiral curls and they get ruined and frizzy easily..

EdG
June 3rd, 2018, 09:56 AM
Your hair is doing what hair naturally does.

The question to ask is why aren't other people doing the same. :hmm:
Ed

M.McDonough
June 3rd, 2018, 10:03 AM
Your hair is doing what hair naturally does.

The question to ask is why aren't other people doing the same. :hmm:
Ed

You mean like letting hair grow longer? :) Well, lots of reasons, if you have really long hair you pretty much have to keep it tied back at all times. What's the point of having super long hair if it's gonna be always in bun? Sometimes I ask myself this question. For some reason I refuse to cut a big chunk of my hair even though it's flat and weighed down like 90% of the time

EdG
June 3rd, 2018, 10:10 AM
You mean like letting hair grow longer? :) Well, lots of reasons, if you have really long hair you pretty much have to keep it tied back at all times. What's the point of having super long hair if it's gonna be always in bun? Sometimes I ask myself this question. For some reason I refuse to cut a big chunk of my hair even though it's flat and weighed down like 90% of the timePeople who ask that question do not wear buns. The purpose of the bun is to have the equivalent of short hair when you want that, and long hair when you want that.
Ed

Alissalocks
June 3rd, 2018, 11:00 AM
I like to wear my hair down on wash days for that very reason; I like to have a day or two a week to remind myself that I have long hair and to enjoy it. Most other times it's braided and down, so I still enjoy the sensation of long hair, even if braided. I don't wear buns as much as I once did, I'm more prone to headaches from buns and ponytails, and avoid them nowadays.

Aredhel
June 3rd, 2018, 11:04 AM
You mean like letting hair grow longer? :) Well, lots of reasons, if you have really long hair you pretty much have to keep it tied back at all times. What's the point of having super long hair if it's gonna be always in bun? Sometimes I ask myself this question. For some reason I refuse to cut a big chunk of my hair even though it's flat and weighed down like 90% of the time

I actually love having my hair in a bun more than I like having it loose... :) I love the way my hair looks when loose and flowing, but I am much more comfortable with my hair in a bun. The longer my hair is, the easier it is to bun... I couldn't do anything with my hair when it was waist-length and shorter, other than have it loose and constantly in my way.

Ligeia Noire
June 3rd, 2018, 11:30 AM
People who ask that question do not wear buns. The purpose of the bun is to have the equivalent of short hair when you want that, and long hair when you want that.
Ed

So much This!

And my hair looks way more appealing to me in an intricate bun. So that is why I keep on growing, to add more layers of intricacy to it ;p

littlestarface
June 3rd, 2018, 11:34 AM

People who ask that usually don't have very long hair and trust me short hair will be attempted to be put up as well.

Joules
June 3rd, 2018, 11:41 AM

I'm not sure if people who think like that get the whole point of hair.

Hair is meant to be fun for its owner. "I'm not here to decorate your world" - that means, among other things, that your hair should be the way you want it, not the way someone else wants to see it. I don't wear my hair down in public. Last time I wore it down outside of my house it was halfway between APL and BSL, now it's at hip and I don't know if I'd feel safe just letting it flow in the wind (which gets super strong here where I live). I just love long hair, I love seeing it grow, I love feeling how long it is when it touches my lower back in the shower, I love taking care of it, I love braiding it, I love how easy it is to get it out of the way. I love when people compliment my braids, I've got some braiding skills, lemme tell ya. I'm not growing my hair to wear it down, I'm growing it to enjoy having it, I had short hair in the past, I wore it down all the time and I wasn't necessarily loving it.

Chromis
June 3rd, 2018, 12:26 PM
Why wouldn't I want to grow my hair longer?

Groovy Granny
June 3rd, 2018, 01:20 PM
IMHO ~ Short hair is much more work to style, costs more to maintain, and it misbehaves more often than not.

I like having a variety of style options depending on the occasion and weather, and it gives me virtually no bad hair days.

You last trim pic looked good....pretty close to the pic you just posted.

Only YOU can answer why YOU want your hair long....or not; whatever makes you the happiest....go for it.

Hair is not perfect.....treat it right and enjoy it....at whatever length you love the most :cheer:

ravenskey
June 3rd, 2018, 01:50 PM
I grow my hair long because 1. I like it long, 2. If it's MBL or shorter it is triangular in shape(not a good look on me), and 3. I want to learn a load of hairstyles that it needs to be longer for.

If my hair was the 1a texture it was about 5 years ago it would probably still be SL, but now? Long and longer is the only way it looks nice.

lapushka
June 3rd, 2018, 02:41 PM
I think maybe there's times like this sometimes, of doubt. Maybe it's getting to be a more unmanageable length, IDK?

I wear a bun because with hair this long... it gets difficult and gets into things and it is a plain safety hazard. For me, it mostly just gets in the way. I wear it loose at night and love it then, but during the day, I do want it contained.

Like Ed said, you can go short (bun) and long in seconds, and I love that about it!

But it seems, OP, like you have some thinking to do. Maybe just trim an inch off, and see how you feel, if you do want to cut a bit off. I would go slowly, not do anything drastic at all as you might regret that.

And if it's not growing, or growing slowly, it beats cutting it shorter, right? I would just leave it be... but I tend to say that a lot! ;)

Five of Five
June 3rd, 2018, 03:01 PM
I understand your thoughts. It is important that you enjoy your hair and it isn't some sort of obligation or burden on you. Some time ago I realised that I had enjoyed my hair a lot more at a shorter length, and that I was growing more out of habit and fear that I'd regret cutting back all of my hard work.

If you're wondering whether you'd be happier with your hair at that length, you could try cutting it halfway between that and what you have now. You can always cut it a little more if it still isn't quite where you want it, but it's still a big enough cut to let you know whether you are ready for the whole lot or not!

Sarahlabyrinth
June 3rd, 2018, 03:38 PM
I'm growing mine longer out of curiosity, to see what it will look like, and also because I want big buns, and because my hair is very compactible when bunned, I need as much hair as possible to achieve this, methinks :p Maybe more than I will ever be able to grow. We'll just have to see.

Plus, of course, it just grows on its own, unless I trim it...

pili
June 3rd, 2018, 04:04 PM
I grow it long because it is easier to manage once I learned to bun it. Anything shorter than MBL and my hair is almost impossible to deal with and very limiting. Plus, I just love it. I love it down. I love it up. I have wanted really long hair since I was a child. So I grow it for me.

spidermom
June 3rd, 2018, 04:24 PM
I laugh sometimes to realize that my hair usually looks about the same at this length (almost APL) as it did at much longer lengths because I wear it up more often than not. One of the reasons that I cut it back to about shoulder length was because I didn't like how I looked with hair put up and wanted to wear it down. However, that decade and a half of long hair created a new me that was driven crazy by hair in my face and tickling my neck. So now I'm growing it longer, but I don't really know why. From a practical standpoint, I can already put it up, and the way I look from the front won't change with longer hair. I didn't spend much time looking at my hair from the back and won't in the future, so bigger, more intricate buns and braids don't particularly excite me.

ursaV
June 3rd, 2018, 06:08 PM
Those curls look do look so shiny! Don't get discouraged! I think I saw your other thread and IMHO the trim really helped your thickness become more evenly distributed.

I have pretty much the opposite hair type as you and I have doubtful thoughts sometimes too, like why would I just let this flat pancake hair get any longer? What's the point if I'm not even sure how long I can grow it, or what it will look like if it gets long? But then I also think, that every time I've had doubts and chopped my hair short that I've regretted it over time. So I'm not going to keep wasting my time with silly questions, I'm just going to do what I want! Even if I keep it bunned for a while, when I let my hair down at the end of the night to brush and oil the process is so therapeutic it's worth it. Once it gets long I will take pride in the care I have put into it to get it that way. Also, I just feel like long hair represents the person I am on the inside, and my most ideal self, so I want to keep working toward it every day.

Simsy
June 3rd, 2018, 08:42 PM
I’m still growing because I’m too lazy to cut it. I started growing it because it is much easier at this length. I can put it up and not have to deal with it for the rest of the week; I don’t have to use a lot of product to control it; and I occasionally get to play with it when the mood strikes.

njrb
June 3rd, 2018, 09:48 PM
I asked myself this question more and more over the last year before I decided to cut back to APL. I realized that I had just been growing to grow my hair for awhile and that I didn't really enjoy my hair as much at the length it had gotten to. I think it can be easy to get caught up in the process of growing. I started with a buzzcut and it took well over 2 years to get to my original goal, then I ended up with other goals, then I just found it was getting longer for longer sake and becoming a bit of a burden. I have enjoyed my hair a lot more since the cut. For some less is more. And I can grow it longer again and plan to. Give it some thought and just make sure you do what makes you happy and makes it so you enjoy your hair the most.

M.McDonough
June 4th, 2018, 02:44 AM
IMHO ~ Short hair is much more work to style, costs more to maintain, and it misbehaves more often than not.

I like having a variety of style options depending on the occasion and weather, and it gives me virtually no bad hair days.

You last trim pic looked good....pretty close to the pic you just posted.

Only YOU can answer why YOU want your hair long....or not; whatever makes you the happiest....go for it.

Hair is not perfect.....treat it right and enjoy it....at whatever length you love the most :cheer:

No in this photo it's much shorter prbably around 13 inches

Groovy Granny
June 4th, 2018, 11:46 AM
Well it looks good ....micro trim to gain length and thicken your hemline...and then see where it grows :cheer:

Deborah
June 4th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Do you ever ask yourself this question. This is me 3 years ago. That's about 2 years into growth and it was the best time of having long hair for me . Curls are so shiny and ringlety:cool:
Voluminous and defined.

If I felt this way about my hair, I would cut back to the length that made me happy. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do now.:flower:

Rustam
June 4th, 2018, 03:52 PM
I like wearing mine tied back and it gets easier and looks better the longer it gets. To me a bun or ponytail are different than short hair and I really like the look.

njrb
June 4th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Voluminous and defined.

If I felt this way about my hair, I would cut back to the length that made me happy. Best of luck with whatever you choose to do now.:flower:
This is great advice.

Xan
June 9th, 2018, 01:56 AM
Why wouldn't you, long locks rocks. I started wanting waist now almost classic. I'm still not happy let's go to floor if I can make it just to try just out of curiosity, or maybe a bit of the LHC itis.