PDA

View Full Version : If you cut your hair: Does the texture and style change?

Sweetalexandria
June 2nd, 2018, 10:57 AM
So I have wavy hair, it's not curly and it's not exactly straight but it is waist length and thick. It is also prone to frizz and getting into knots if I don't condition my hair which I get tired of!

I am thinking of cutting my hair but don't know when :)and I know I will suit having layers. I'm just wondering, whether cutting hair, changes the texture?. Some people say, their hair goes wavy.

GrowlingCupcake
June 2nd, 2018, 11:02 AM
When my hair is short, it is more 2a, some times 2b. When long, it is 1c/2a. The frizz, and tangles do not go away.

Groovy Granny
June 2nd, 2018, 12:16 PM
I would do small trims so you can see/feel the difference seeing you are that long.

You don't say if you have F/M/C hair but most types need conditioning to avoid tangles.

Wavy hair can curl if sensitive to humidity; I can go from 1c wavy/sleek in dry air....to 2c curl explosions in humid weather.

What I thought was frizz is actually new growth with curls....but my hair is also fine /wispy.

Layers will lighten the thickness and waves may increase; my hair is too fine and I grew them out.

Take it slow.....you can always cut more, but it takes longer to grow the more you cut.

Aredhel
June 2nd, 2018, 12:42 PM
Sometimes people's naturally wavier hair may tend to straighten slightly with length due to the increased weight of the hair... I guess in this sense, the hair can appear wavier once you cut it, but it's just not weighed down anymore. :)

GrowlingCupcake
June 2nd, 2018, 12:46 PM
Sometimes people's naturally wavier hair may tend to straighten slightly with length due to the increased weight of the hair... I guess in this sense, the hair can appear wavier once you cut it, but it's just not weighed down anymore. :)

I definitely experience this. When I have short hair (just touching my shoulders with waves), the waves never went away. Now they're mostly gone as soon as I brush.

DweamGoiL
June 2nd, 2018, 01:40 PM
I would think it depends on how drastic the cut is. And yes, the actual texture doesn't change just the hair show more of the natural texture because it's not being weighed down. If you cut a few inches, you may see a bit more body, but if you cut to shoulder, you will notice much more of a difference.

spidermom
June 2nd, 2018, 02:23 PM
Your hair itself doesn't change, but a different length will make it behave differently. For example, once my hair reaches about APL, I start to see a few spiral curls. Until that length, I just have a lot of messy wave (as in my signature picture). Plus length adds weight, so my hair appears less poufy at longer lengths.

lapushka
June 2nd, 2018, 02:49 PM
So I have wavy hair, it's not curly and it's not exactly straight but it is waist length and thick. It is also prone to frizz and getting into knots if I don't condition my hair which I get tired of!

I am thinking of cutting my hair but don't know when :)and I know I will suit having layers. I'm just wondering, whether cutting hair, changes the texture?. Some people say, their hair goes wavy.

Cutting mine didn't change its texture, at all; it will look different if you are going for layers, but that's just the nature of the beast. I had waist length blunt cut hair and put layers into it myself.

There's 2 methods for layering your own hair (ponytail on forehead, ponytail up top). I would *not* use this if your hair is shorter than waist, waist is about right.

If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself, please go to a stylist. If you don't feel like experimenting, don't do it! :)

leayellena
June 3rd, 2018, 12:33 AM
thatīs why I like to strand type (typing a strand, not the whole hair). even my strands tend to be straighter (weighed down) because they are too long now to curl.
I couldnīt be happier when I found this method. I canīt remember where though, but I am telling you, black women are the best when it comes to knowing your hair.
reading this canīt wait for a true 1c when my hair grows to class and beyond