PDA

View Full Version : Help me try something new :) - 1c/2a

SeRe
June 1st, 2018, 08:15 PM
Hello to all the lovely LHC members!

I want to try something new and need your help. I'm a 1c/2a (or maybe even a full 2a) and usually prefer to treat my hair like it's straight. I would like to try wearing it wavy for a while but don't know where to start. I absolutely need to oil my hair 3x times a week and leave the oil in overnight. Please don't change this in my routine, and please suggest a wavy hair routine I can follow. If my hair fails to wave properly, it's alright, atleast I tried!

I looked at a ton of youtube videos but none of them suit 1c/2a hair.

If not any direct suggestions, please share your 1c/2a routine that is heatless.

Cheers!

lithostoic
June 1st, 2018, 09:03 PM
You could try rinse out oil method!

SeRe
June 1st, 2018, 09:08 PM
You could try rinse out oil method!

Does this involve lightly applying (few drops) oil to washed hair in the shower, waiting a few and then rinsing? If yes, I have tried it and it didn't work.

If this is something else, what does it involve?

Corvana
June 2nd, 2018, 12:53 AM
My waves are best when I don't use any silicones. Sulfates don't seem to matter too much (but my scalp does prefer them to be around way less often), but silicones are a no go for me! I also like to plop my hair as it dries, which seems to make a difference as my hair isn't getting stretched out by being in a regular turban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai4TiIdZBgc

SeRe
June 3rd, 2018, 09:47 AM
My waves are best when I don't use any silicones. Sulfates don't seem to matter too much (but my scalp does prefer them to be around way less often), but silicones are a no go for me! I also like to plop my hair as it dries, which seems to make a difference as my hair isn't getting stretched out by being in a regular turban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai4TiIdZBgc

Thank you for sharing the video, this youtuber knows quite a bit, strange she doesn't have many subscribers.

I bought a trial pack of devacurl products for wavy hair. They are silicone and sulphate free, I'll report back the findings.

Why don't you like silicones?

Corvana
June 3rd, 2018, 06:35 PM
Thank you for sharing the video, this youtuber knows quite a bit, strange she doesn't have many subscribers.

I bought a trial pack of devacurl products for wavy hair. They are silicone and sulphate free, I'll report back the findings.

You're welcome!

I like them plenty! But it's one of those things where they're fine and dandy and make my hair soft and such, but they weigh my waves down just enough that all I get is frizz and flippy ends :laugh:

SeRe
June 3rd, 2018, 07:30 PM
You're welcome!

I like them plenty! But it's one of those things where they're fine and dandy and make my hair soft and such, but they weigh my waves down just enough that all I get is frizz and flippy ends :laugh:

Thank you. Could you please share your hair routine? I think my hair is similar to yours, but its very long (cut it to waist recently from tailbone).

Corvana
June 4th, 2018, 01:22 AM
Thank you. Could you please share your hair routine? I think my hair is similar to yours, but its very long (cut it to waist recently from tailbone).

I have a few I cycle through depending on how I'm feeling, and what result I'm looking for.

Routine #1:

Wash with Shea Moisture manuka honey shampoo, condition twice with Suave essentials cherry blossom conditioner, ACV rinse. On sopping wet hair, I apply a smidge more of conditioner as a leave-in, a couple drops of oil, and my curl cream (Cantu coconut). Then I plop in a microfiber towel until it's damp, and either air dry the rest of the way or diffuse on low or cool if I need my hair dry faster.
Results in very nice waves, like my avatar. I think I do this one least often, simply because I put my hair in a bun so much now that I don't see the point in bothering :laugh:.

Routine #2:

The same as #1, except I've got low energy/feeling lazy, and don't do any of the products after I wash. I go from ACV rinse to plopping, and I don't bother diffusing unless I absolutely have to.
Results in very loose waves, but I don't care because I'd ruin them with a bun anyway.

Routine #3:

Clarify with Suave daily clarifying, deep condition with shea moisture manuka honey deep conditioner, ACV final rinse. Apply products and dry like in routine #1.
Results in the same waves as routine #1. Only happens when I put off washing my hair too long (I don't always have the energy to wash when I can, and often end up not having the time when I have the energy), or I've got build-up.

Routine #4:

Same as #2, but the product/drying of #2. My "lazy clarifying", for when I've got low energy.
Same results as #2, usually.

I have noticed, though, that my waves in my low energy/lazy routines are stronger than they used to be. I think my pattern is starting to really solidify more, which is nice! I wonder if I'll ever push into fully 2a :hmm:

lapushka
June 4th, 2018, 03:30 AM
My routine is in my signature. It works for me. I would leave the shampooing routine up to you, but the LOC/LCO method is key I think in any wavy routine.

OhSuzi
June 4th, 2018, 03:40 AM
Basic Plaits whilst damp? would prob add a wave and if theres allready an inclination for your hair to be wavy they are more likely to stay than fall out. And if your not against products in your hair a bit of hair spray or salty beach wave stuff (can be drying tho) or even a teeny tiny bit of gel or wax run through your damp hair before plaiting?

If your hair has a natural wave just air drying after a wash, with no brushing or only very loose finger brushing should just let the waves appear.

SeRe
June 4th, 2018, 08:03 AM
I have a few I cycle through depending on how I'm feeling, and what result I'm looking for.

Routine #1:

Wash with Shea Moisture manuka honey shampoo, condition twice with Suave essentials cherry blossom conditioner, ACV rinse. On sopping wet hair, I apply a smidge more of conditioner as a leave-in, a couple drops of oil, and my curl cream (Cantu coconut). Then I plop in a microfiber towel until it's damp, and either air dry the rest of the way or diffuse on low or cool if I need my hair dry faster.
Results in very nice waves, like my avatar. I think I do this one least often, simply because I put my hair in a bun so much now that I don't see the point in bothering :laugh:.

Routine #2:

The same as #1, except I've got low energy/feeling lazy, and don't do any of the products after I wash. I go from ACV rinse to plopping, and I don't bother diffusing unless I absolutely have to.
Results in very loose waves, but I don't care because I'd ruin them with a bun anyway.

Routine #3:

Clarify with Suave daily clarifying, deep condition with shea moisture manuka honey deep conditioner, ACV final rinse. Apply products and dry like in routine #1.
Results in the same waves as routine #1. Only happens when I put off washing my hair too long (I don't always have the energy to wash when I can, and often end up not having the time when I have the energy), or I've got build-up.

Routine #4:

Same as #2, but the product/drying of #2. My "lazy clarifying", for when I've got low energy.
Same results as #2, usually.

I have noticed, though, that my waves in my low energy/lazy routines are stronger than they used to be. I think my pattern is starting to really solidify more, which is nice! I wonder if I'll ever push into fully 2a :hmm:

Thanks for your very detailed message. Just one more question is that I notice you don't scrunch. I was actually looking for a non-scrunching technique myself, so I might try your routine.

Also, do you think ditching the silicones and sulphates has led to a better curl pattern? In some of your pics in the signature, your hair looks straighter. Was your routine different here?

SeRe
June 4th, 2018, 08:11 AM
My routine is in my signature. It works for me. I would leave the shampooing routine up to you, but the LOC/LCO method is key I think in any wavy routine.

Thanks Lapushka. Which products are you using currently for L, O and C? And I know that you scrunch. I am a bit hesitant to try scrunching as I don't want to create tangles. Have you found that scrunching damaged your hair at all?

Do you follow the gel technique, where you gel heavily, allow to dry and then break the cast?

At 29, I still don't know how to do my hair properly :(

SeRe
June 4th, 2018, 08:13 AM
Basic Plaits whilst damp? would prob add a wave and if theres allready an inclination for your hair to be wavy they are more likely to stay than fall out. And if your not against products in your hair a bit of hair spray or salty beach wave stuff (can be drying tho) or even a teeny tiny bit of gel or wax run through your damp hair before plaiting?

If your hair has a natural wave just air drying after a wash, with no brushing or only very loose finger brushing should just let the waves appear.

I tried braiding in the past, it creates very uneven waves in my hair that don't look very good. But your finger combing suggestion is good, perhaps I should try it. Ditching the comb is going to be hard for me, as I comb several times a day!

nycelle
June 4th, 2018, 08:23 AM

I like their products, but I really love their "Wave Maker whip." It's given me nice waves that have lasted up to 3 days. I scrunch it in and air dry, but plopping should benefit 1c type hair.

SeRe
June 4th, 2018, 08:29 AM
I like their products, but I really love their "Wave Maker whip." It's given me nice waves that have lasted up to 3 days. I scrunch it in and air dry, but plopping should benefit 1c type hair.

Yup, in my $12 trial kit, I will receive their no poo shampoo (which I plan not to try), their weightless waves conditioner (I'll try this) and their wave maker whip (most excited for this). Full size products are expensive so I don't want to invest till I know they work.

Do you still use wave maker?

I have no idea why I am hesitant to scrunch, maybe it's cos I had fine hair (before I started henna), and I am afraid to create tangles.

nycelle
June 4th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Yup, in my $12 trial kit, I will receive their no poo shampoo (which I plan not to try), their weightless waves conditioner (I'll try this) and their wave maker whip (most excited for this). Full size products are expensive so I don't want to invest till I know they work.

Do you still use wave maker?

I have no idea why I am hesitant to scrunch, maybe it's cos I had fine hair (before I started henna), and I am afraid to create tangles.

Yes, I've been using it. The rest of their products (I have the same ones you do) are nice as well. I may switch to them on day but right now I'm in love with my Briogeo conditioners and treatments.

My hair gets tangles too, so I always use a WTC comb before I scrunch in any product. But once I do that, scrunching is fine.

Corvana
June 4th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Thanks for your very detailed message. Just one more question is that I notice you don't scrunch. I was actually looking for a non-scrunching technique myself, so I might try your routine.

Also, do you think ditching the silicones and sulphates has led to a better curl pattern? In some of your pics in the signature, your hair looks straighter. Was your routine different here?

Oh, I do scrunch! All that detail and I miss that one, and the fact that once I turn the shower off I don't comb or brush my hair at all (until it's like day 2 or 3, or I want to braid it or something).

My hair doesn't tangle as much now, so I don't really worry about it anymore. Why? Idk! I honestly have no idea what it was that made my hair tangle less. I'm not, complaining, though!

And yes, the first two photos in my signature were taken before I knew I was a wavy so I was still using lots of cones and brushing my hair as straight as possible. The third one, I'd started a wavy routine with no cones, but I still brushed my hair out and flattened any wave I had.

SeRe
June 5th, 2018, 08:33 AM
Yes, I've been using it. The rest of their products (I have the same ones you do) are nice as well. I may switch to them on day but right now I'm in love with my Briogeo conditioners and treatments.

My hair gets tangles too, so I always use a WTC comb before I scrunch in any product. But once I do that, scrunching is fine.

Nycelle, which Briogeo products do you use? I seriously don't mind spending the $ but I really want to give this CG stuff a chance.

I was told that it's important to apply product on soaking wet hair before washing. Is this true? If you do this, do you wet hair again after combing with a WT comb?

I am currently sulphate and silicone free but I'm combing twice a day, I can't show up to work with my hair looking like a hot mess. The waves are not forming.

SeRe
June 5th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Oh, I do scrunch! All that detail and I miss that one, and the fact that once I turn the shower off I don't comb or brush my hair at all (until it's like day 2 or 3, or I want to braid it or something).

My hair doesn't tangle as much now, so I don't really worry about it anymore. Why? Idk! I honestly have no idea what it was that made my hair tangle less. I'm not, complaining, though!

And yes, the first two photos in my signature were taken before I knew I was a wavy so I was still using lots of cones and brushing my hair as straight as possible. The third one, I'd started a wavy routine with no cones, but I still brushed my hair out and flattened any wave I had.

How did you manage to give up combing? It seems that I am married to my comb, LOL. I am currently sulphate and silicone free (first time ever) but I'm combing twice a day as I wake up with weird hair. I can't show up to work without combing.

I feel it's easier to ditch the comb when using silicones, as hair is almost straight and has slip. Did you face a similar issue?

nycelle
June 5th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Nycelle, which Briogeo products do you use? I seriously don't mind spending the $ but I really want to give this CG stuff a chance.

I was told that it's important to apply product on soaking wet hair before washing. Is this true? If you do this, do you wet hair again after combing with a WT comb?

I am currently sulphate and silicone free but I'm combing twice a day, I can't show up to work with my hair looking like a hot mess. The waves are not forming.

Pretty much every Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair treatment, including the leave-in spray mask. I alternate the Don't Despair leave-in with their Rosarco milk leave-in which leaves my hair softer.

My shampoo is Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture and Shine Shampoo (sulfate free) for the most part. Sometimes I'll use my DC low poo Delight for wavies.

Since going silicone free, I've noticed product build-up which I'm thinking is from using heavier conditioners.
So I started clarifying more with an activated charcoal shampoo as sulfates irritate my scalp. I'm only mentioning this because your hair is m/ii so similar to mine, and the Briogeo Don't Despair, and the Rosarco Milk line are on the heavier side I think. At least
I find them heavier than the DC One Condition Delight.

eta: I don't apply the whip on soaking wet hair, it's very damp though. But I only want some definition for my waves, not looking to spend a ton of time on them since a day later I'm a 1c anyway.

Corvana
June 5th, 2018, 06:55 PM
How did you manage to give up combing? It seems that I am married to my comb, LOL. I am currently sulphate and silicone free (first time ever) but I'm combing twice a day as I wake up with weird hair. I can't show up to work without combing.

I feel it's easier to ditch the comb when using silicones, as hair is almost straight and has slip. Did you face a similar issue?

My main issue with tangles tends to come from sleeping. I had no problems when I used a sleep cap (it's too small now, LOL), and now I braid it and have no problems either.

I do still get minor tangles, but I always gently pull them apart with my fingers (I have a sensitive scalp and prefer finger detangling because there's less pulling). And other than when I first wake up, or am going to bed, or if I'm getting a migraine, my hair is always up in a bun. It only needs to be detangled enough for me to put it up :laugh: If I can split it in two for a disc bun (the only reliable one at my length), or three for a braid (for bed, or migraine days), then it's detangled enough for me!

The only time I truly struggled with tangles was when my hair was very bleach damaged.

In your last comment you mention your waves aren't forming, and combing will absolutely make them drop. Finding your own personal balance between waves and detangling will likely take you some time and trial and error!

cailinbee
June 5th, 2018, 07:47 PM
This thread is such gold, thanks for starting it and to everyone who has responded!

I very tentatively put myself in 1c/2a after reading more about the bridge state between the two. I would say with absolutely zero interference and a no-cones routine, my hair is 2a. However, zero-interference is not my favorite look because my crown gets a baby-hair halo that I can't stand. I've been trying out just lightly combing or boar bristle brushing the crown and that's worked pretty well for me!

Also, curl mousse works pretty well for me, but I run my fingers through my hair by habit all day so that naturally sort of slowly destroys my waves...and mousse makes them stick together more, so I don't always opt to use it.

SeRe
June 5th, 2018, 10:46 PM
Pretty much every Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair treatment, including the leave-in spray mask. I alternate the Don't Despair leave-in with their Rosarco milk leave-in which leaves my hair softer.

My shampoo is Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla Moisture and Shine Shampoo (sulfate free) for the most part. Sometimes I'll use my DC low poo Delight for wavies.

Since going silicone free, I've noticed product build-up which I'm thinking is from using heavier conditioners.
So I started clarifying more with an activated charcoal shampoo as sulfates irritate my scalp. I'm only mentioning this because your hair is m/ii so similar to mine, and the Briogeo Don't Despair, and the Rosarco Milk line are on the heavier side I think. At least
I find them heavier than the DC One Condition Delight.

eta: I don't apply the whip on soaking wet hair, it's very damp though. But I only want some definition for my waves, not looking to spend a ton of time on them since a day later I'm a 1c anyway.

Wish i had known about Briogeo before. Oh well, I should try Deva Curl, maybe it turns out to be my HG, we shall see.

Thanks for putting my "product in wet hair" concerns to ease.

I'm using Nature's gate shampoo. I have noticed that sulphate free shampoos tend to make hair more dry. I do use a lot of oil and I'm glad that they can remove heavy oilings too.

If I stick to this routine, I'll try Carol's daughter next time, thank you!

SeRe
June 5th, 2018, 10:47 PM
My main issue with tangles tends to come from sleeping. I had no problems when I used a sleep cap (it's too small now, LOL), and now I braid it and have no problems either.

I do still get minor tangles, but I always gently pull them apart with my fingers (I have a sensitive scalp and prefer finger detangling because there's less pulling). And other than when I first wake up, or am going to bed, or if I'm getting a migraine, my hair is always up in a bun. It only needs to be detangled enough for me to put it up :laugh: If I can split it in two for a disc bun (the only reliable one at my length), or three for a braid (for bed, or migraine days), then it's detangled enough for me!

The only time I truly struggled with tangles was when my hair was very bleach damaged.

In your last comment you mention your waves aren't forming, and combing will absolutely make them drop. Finding your own personal balance between waves and detangling will likely take you some time and trial and error!

Okay, makes sense. I think I may be obsessed with combing, I tend to comb many times a day. Hmmm. Tomorrow I need to put myself to test and finger comb only!

SeRe
June 5th, 2018, 10:49 PM
This thread is such gold, thanks for starting it and to everyone who has responded!

I very tentatively put myself in 1c/2a after reading more about the bridge state between the two. I would say with absolutely zero interference and a no-cones routine, my hair is 2a. However, zero-interference is not my favorite look because my crown gets a baby-hair halo that I can't stand. I've been trying out just lightly combing or boar bristle brushing the crown and that's worked pretty well for me!

Also, curl mousse works pretty well for me, but I run my fingers through my hair by habit all day so that naturally sort of slowly destroys my waves...and mousse makes them stick together more, so I don't always opt to use it.

Thank you! I have similar hair. I think 1c/2a has the best of both worlds but it is also a challenge to find the right routine. I know what you mean by baby hair halo, I had a lot of regrowth that caused baby hair all over my scalp. But I'm not complaining, I would rather have thick hair and deal with the frizz than be thinning.

Please share your routine. Thank you.

cailinbee
June 6th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Please share your routine. Thank you.

Nothing outrageous really -- I use whatever shampoo or conditioner without silicones I fancy at the moment I've been through Herbal Essences Shine/Smooth collection, basic Suave, and L'Oreal Elvive extraordinary clay recently. I wash every day. I air dry and if I brush at all it's either just on the crown or with a wide-toothed Cricket comb.

I moisturize in a braid with leave-in creams and coconut oil in a braid every few nights overnight.

SeRe
June 6th, 2018, 10:52 PM
Nothing outrageous really -- I use whatever shampoo or conditioner without silicones I fancy at the moment I've been through Herbal Essences Shine/Smooth collection, basic Suave, and L'Oreal Elvive extraordinary clay recently. I wash every day. I air dry and if I brush at all it's either just on the crown or with a wide-toothed Cricket comb.

I moisturize in a braid with leave-in creams and coconut oil in a braid every few nights overnight.

Nice routine. Would you say your hair is more straight or more wavy? Mine changes pretty much everyday, LOL!

cailinbee
June 7th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Nice routine. Would you say your hair is more straight or more wavy? Mine changes pretty much everyday, LOL!

Definitely more wavy -- it's only totally straight if I blow dry it really aggressively (which I don't do anymore, haha). Whether it's 1c or 2a just depends on how much I've brushed or manipulated it. It's definitely tenuous so the waves fall a bit, sometimes all the way to 1b, if I brush a lot.

I did try pretending to be a "curly girl" and tried that method and plopping (https://www.buzzfeed.com/augustafalletta/plopping-is-the-best-kept-secret-for-perfect-natural-curls?utm_term=.kcd21jB6n#.hh4NKa5gQ) once out of curiosity, and that kicked it up to 2b/2c, but that's more work than I like to put into my daily routine...it's fun knowing I could be wavier if I wanted, though!

cailinbee
June 7th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Mine changes pretty much everyday, LOL!

And yes, totally. Humidity, how much and what kind of product or brush, and even just taking a nap on it and rumpling a bit changes it completely! One thing I notice is if I get caught momentarily in a downpour, I love what rain does to my hair -- I think the getting-random-locks-wet-but-not-totally-drenching-my-head effect makes the waves turn beachy and I even get curls at the nape of my neck. I've found rain is hard to replicate, though, haha!

lapushka
June 7th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Thanks Lapushka. Which products are you using currently for L, O and C? And I know that you scrunch. I am a bit hesitant to try scrunching as I don't want to create tangles. Have you found that scrunching damaged your hair at all?

Do you follow the gel technique, where you gel heavily, allow to dry and then break the cast?

At 29, I still don't know how to do my hair properly :(

I use either a leave-in (JBCO leave-in by Shea Moisture) + gel (mostly Eco Styler, but it can vary) + a serum. Or, I use a curl cream (Curl Enhancing smoothie by Shea Moisture) + gel + a serum.

I don't use much, though and that is key for me! I use about a coinsize of each "layer" I put in, and that is *more* than enough.

I usually don't need to break any gel cast because I don't use enough gel for that to happen.

It's all in how much product you use, especially if you are barely wavy (not much product needed).