PDA

View Full Version : Is this bad boy not getting any longer?!

M.McDonough
May 30th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Hi there!

So it's been almost 5 years since I started my hair growth journey. My hair was only 2 inches long back then. I've had a lot of growth over the past 4 years, but I'm really disappointed this year :( I have a feeling that my hair is not growing anymore. I don't know if that's due to breakage, damage, shedding, not using oils & products, split ends or terminal length. My goal is not even that far from what I've reached so far. I want my hair to be hip length, but the thickness is not quite there yet. as you can see the ends look thin and dull. From the looks of it, I feel like I'm supposed to cut off 7 inches. :rolleyes:
What do you think I should do?

This one was taken about a year ago, I never cut my hair since this photo

https://s22.postimg.cc/cdkbmabdd/20170619200024_IMG_0970.jpg

Taken today

https://s22.postimg.cc/p3ojzttqp/20180530224909_IMG_2038.jpg

https://s22.postimg.cc/zf0wryb01/20180530224829_IMG_2037.jpg

Updated!

This is how much I took off

https://s22.postimg.cc/yl7t9gh4x/IMG_20180531_145800.jpg

https://s22.postimg.cc/tmkaveim9/20180531145942_IMG_2060.jpg

Kind of shorter.. Looks better?

Dark40
May 30th, 2018, 02:16 PM
It might be due to some breakage or terminal length. If you really want to reach your goal quickly or if you want your hair to grow start using oils and brush it really well with a BBB.

lapushka
May 30th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Do you do any heat styling at all? Comb or brush too roughly? Ponytail your hair?

I think you should just leave it and hopefully the thickness travels down some. I think the fairytale "look" might also be due to the curls clumping together.

M.McDonough
May 30th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Do you do any heat styling at all? Comb or brush too roughly? Ponytail your hair?

I think you should just leave it and hopefully the thickness travels down some. I think the fairytale "look" might also be due to the curls clumping together.

No I don't do any of these things. And before I took these photos I detangled my hair and washed it

lapushka
May 30th, 2018, 03:43 PM
No I don't do any of these things. And before I took these photos I detangled my hair and washed it

I do see the thickness *has* traveled down. It used to be at around APL, and now it is BSL. So it does grow down! Have faith and just leave it and take care of it like it is. That's what I would do. :flower:

spidermom
May 30th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Your hair looks shorter in the "taken today" photo to me.

lapushka
May 30th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Oh my bad, I thought the last picture was the most recent one. Huh? How's that possible? It seems to me that the last picture is the longest? No? Is that just me? :hmm:

cjk
May 30th, 2018, 06:45 PM
Have your curls become more assertive in the last year?

Texture makes for shrinkage.

EdG
May 30th, 2018, 06:52 PM
You appear to be at terminal length. Your taper today has become less abrupt than the taper of a year ago. This is good.

You don't need to change anything. :)
Ed

daisy rei
May 30th, 2018, 07:06 PM
i think your hair looks way thicker than the "before" photo.

slynr
May 30th, 2018, 07:10 PM
Only thing I want to add is that your hair is gorgeous. That is all:)

*Wednesday*
May 30th, 2018, 07:14 PM
Unless it's due to shrinkage, you're "taken today" photo I would have to agree look shorter. Unless it's the way the photo taken with you in the yellow shirt. It looks like you have no arms/shoulders and I can't see a body marker as with your "taken today" photo.

M.McDonough
May 30th, 2018, 10:46 PM
i think your hair looks way thicker than the "before" photo.

The one with the yellow sgirt was taken last year and the white shirt was taken today, just to be clear

M.McDonough
May 30th, 2018, 10:50 PM
I'll trim today and we'll see...

I found this video, maybe it's relevant to my issue?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3G4RyJMKtTc

Alissalocks
May 31st, 2018, 12:41 AM
The thickness is definitely moving down. It's really lovely, just wonderful curls too :D

daisy rei
May 31st, 2018, 12:45 AM
The thickness is definitely moving down. It's really lovely, just wonderful curls too :D

yeah, that's what i meant by it looking thicker. your hemline is filling out.

lucid
May 31st, 2018, 02:48 AM

I don't see this to be honest, the thickness still appears to taper from about apl/bsl? I might be wrong, since the posture is different in the before/after pics, so it's a bit hard determining body markers.

Anyway, your hair is lovely! Gorgeous curls, pretty color and it looks healthy :)

Edit: looking at it again I may agree that the taper has gone from starting a bit above apl to more like apl/bsl.

Borgessa
May 31st, 2018, 05:27 AM
Only thing i can think of is, there is more frizz in the first photo the one from last yr, and the one from today, is tamer, less poofy and frizzy, I think your curls are tighter, as you know the curls change from day to day, some days they tight and some days they lose, only way to really tell is to stretch it out and measure. Otherwise we just guessing.

EdG
May 31st, 2018, 08:04 AM
M.McDonough - you are getting a ton of complements. You are one of the rare people who don't need to do anything to their hair. This is like reaching the end of the proverbial rainbow and finding the pot of gold. Enjoy it! :)
Ed

MoonRabbit
May 31st, 2018, 04:42 PM
I'm not a curly so please correct me if I am wrong. From first glace it seems like in the before photo your curl pattern is looser, the taper is more like waves than actual curl. I first thought it was shrinkage that made those curls spring back up again which would account for the shorter appearance. But then you also show a photo of stretching it which seems to be shorter than what it was, No? Maybe it is a photo illusion, I think the only way to tell is if you measure your hair to see if it has grown since then.

M.McDonough
June 1st, 2018, 12:15 AM
M.McDonough - you are getting a ton of complements. You are one of the rare people who don't need to do anything to their hair. This is like reaching the end of the proverbial rainbow and finding the pot of gold. Enjoy it! :)
Ed

Thank you, that's sweet of you to say. all of you <3

M.McDonough
June 1st, 2018, 12:42 AM
Okay I just trimmed my ends, tell me what you think..

Groovy Granny
June 1st, 2018, 01:12 PM
I can't see a pic :hmm:

ETA: Oh...found it; you added it to your OP :thumbsup:

That looks great!

Shorter yes, but it looks thick.... and I love your curls :)

Maybe just micro trim to maintain thickness and gain length :cheer:

yahirwaO.o
June 1st, 2018, 06:23 PM
Fantastic hair after the trim!!!!! You should invest into micro trimming and thickness will travel man!

If you've reached terminal lenght it still pretty long and pull down must be around waist so that's good!!!

M.McDonough
June 3rd, 2018, 02:41 AM
Fantastic hair after the trim!!!!! You should invest into micro trimming and thickness will travel man!

If you've reached terminal lenght it still pretty long and pull down must be around waist so that's good!!!

Thanks, well hip length is my goal. I'm not going beyond that even if it's possible

maborosi
June 3rd, 2018, 09:15 AM
It's a bit hard for me to say, because of your texture, but honestly, it does look like the thickness is traveling down the length of your hair!
I don't think you've quite hit terminal yet.

Beeboo123
June 9th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Your thickness looks like it has travelled down, for sure. Also, you have the most beautiful, perfectly formed spiral curls! It looks so bouncy and full of life. I’m in love

M.McDonough
June 22nd, 2018, 12:56 AM
Your thickness looks like it has travelled down, for sure. Also, you have the most beautiful, perfectly formed spiral curls! It looks so bouncy and full of life. I’m in love

Thank you!

Alissalocks
June 22nd, 2018, 11:06 AM
I love the new cut! Now grow grow grow :D :cheer: