PDA

View Full Version : thinning hair and sad days

sourkitteh
May 29th, 2018, 06:50 AM
Im having a really bad day in regards to my hair problems.

Ive posted in the past and mostly its been about getting advice about thinning hair and what products/vitamins to use. but today i just need to get it all out because i dont have anyone else to talk about this too and its just been a really bad couple of days.

my hair is thinning. at first i thought it was because i had a stressful six months and that the shedding would stop and the hair would come back but its coming up to three years now and yes theres some regrowth but theres still a lot of very thin areas of my hair. i was tested about two years ago and found out that i was very low in iron and was given iron tablets for four months and told to get on with my life. during these four months my energy improved, my hair was sprouting everywhere it was amazing. then the four months passed and i forgot about my hair and everything because well, i wasnt on tablets anymore so *shrugs*

at the end of last year, i thought i noticed my hair getting thin again (i would always wear my hair up so you couldnt really tell, but now even with my hair up you could tell my temples were very thin) i told myself i was being paranoid and it was fine/lighting etc.

a couple of months ago i finally gave in and realized that my hair was thinner. i think i had another shed at this time and i had to change the way i wore my hair to hide the thinning. obviously i was really upset at this time but i googled different options, i bought saw palmetto but decided against taking it, then i bought msm and started that (side note, my clicky knee really approves of msm so ill be continuing this) ive always taken biotin so my hair does grow quite quickly.

i booked a doctors appointment a month ago and pleaded with them to tell me my iron result from last time (ive been reading about how iron levels should be around 70 for good hair regrowth) and she came back and told me at the time (2 years previous) my ferritin had been only 14. she rebooked me in to get a full blood work done and off i went again. a month before i got the blood tests i took high level ferrous fumarate for two weeks before realizing that it would probably influence the blood test and stopped.

my results came back and she was so happy with them. my bloods were fine. vitamin d was amazing! and ferritin was 50! she told me to try the ferrous fumarate again and that i may just need more iron then usual (im always tired and ive been feeling dizzy and just all kinds of meh lately) she gave me two months dose.

sorry for waffling, but its been 6 weeks now for the msm and a couple of weeks for the iron and ive started to see little baby hair sprouting up all over my head. is this wishful thinking? i know 6 weeks is such a short time but i normally get about an inch growth in that time and this new hair looks kind of like that but thicker than usual.

im so scared that its all in my head and this new growth is going to just fall out like all the other little baby hairs over the past few months, because whilst the shedding has stopped and i would say i lose the average amount of hair daily, my hair just not thickening up, so im thinking its the baby hairs just not growing.

to cut a very long story short. i just need someone to talk to or just who understands what this feels like because i literally dont know what to do next because the doctors says im fine and the hair i do have is nice and soft its just not getting any better. :(

spidermom
May 29th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Be sure to follow up with your doctor regularly so problems like low iron can be caught early.

I can feel through your words how upset you are about your hair. The best encouragement I can give is to take very good care of your health and work on self-acceptance. Sometimes hair is thin and there's not much that can be done about it. My struggle is the aging process. At 64, my body just won't do many of the things I want it to do. It can be hard to know whether to push through the pain of things like arthritis or accept that I'm not going to be able to accomplish certain goals because my body is old and wearing out. I'm working at it from both sides (pushing through when I can, accepting when I can't).

sourkitteh
May 29th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Be sure to follow up with your doctor regularly so problems like low iron can be caught early.

I can feel through your words how upset you are about your hair. The best encouragement I can give is to take very good care of your health and work on self-acceptance. Sometimes hair is thin and there's not much that can be done about it. My struggle is the aging process. At 64, my body just won't do many of the things I want it to do. It can be hard to know whether to push through the pain of things like arthritis or accept that I'm not going to be able to accomplish certain goals because my body is old and wearing out. I'm working at it from both sides (pushing through when I can, accepting when I can't).

after the two months ill be asking for another blood test, im not just going to let it slide this time :)

i am really upset, or at least im letting myself just feel it the last few days because normally i like to just ignore it and think itll go away but sometimes it just hurts and i feel so stupid about it because obviously i could have a major illness or pain that isnt as superficial.

the ageing process is such a pain when you forget that your actually growing older. i turned 35 the other day and never thought i would be dealing with this....im still coming to terms with having a bad knee that the doctors cant work out whats wrong with it, maybe its the stress of that for the past year that could be effecting my hair? see its just endless circles of what ifs, i think if i could just have someone sit me down and work it out and just give it to me straight, but then something else would pop up.

thank you for your reply <3 and sorry for being such a negative nancy today

pili
May 29th, 2018, 09:23 AM
Hey, we've all been there when it comes to feeling down. I have not been through what you are going through, but I have had other issues with breakage that got me really down about my hair. Others can probably offer better advice, and I seem to recall other threads related to this issue...

I do just want to give my support. It will get better. You are working with your doctor, so that's the most important part. ((((HUGS))))

lapushka
May 29th, 2018, 10:23 AM
i was tested about two years ago and found out that i was very low in iron and was given iron tablets for four months and told to get on with my life. during these four months my energy improved, my hair was sprouting everywhere it was amazing. then the four months passed and i forgot about my hair and everything because well, i wasnt on tablets anymore so *shrugs*

The thing is with your health, you need to keep on top of this or it's no good. Not a good move to take the iron before getting tested! :(

At least the iron is doing its thing. I would go back to the doctor after these 2 months. And ask to have yearly bloodwork done.

Hang in there, but really go back to the doctor often especially with a condition that can impact your hair as much as this. :flower:

sourkitteh
May 29th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Hey, we've all been there when it comes to feeling down. I have not been through what you are going through, but I have had other issues with breakage that got me really down about my hair. Others can probably offer better advice, and I seem to recall other threads related to this issue...

I do just want to give my support. It will get better. You are working with your doctor, so that's the most important part. ((((HUGS))))

Thank you *hugs* ive gave myself today to just wallow and be sad, hopefully by tomorrow my brain will kick itaelf right again

sourkitteh
May 29th, 2018, 01:52 PM
The thing is with your health, you need to keep on top of this or it's no good. Not a good move to take the iron before getting tested! :(

At least the iron is doing its thing. I would go back to the doctor after these 2 months. And ask to have yearly bloodwork done.

Hang in there, but really go back to the doctor often especially with a condition that can impact your hair as much as this. :flower:

Yeah i panicked took it for just over a week and then rang the doctor and got tested. I will be going back after the two months if only to let them know this is really effecting me now and so i dont just get fobbed off again. (The doctor i went to was better then the rest but their still not that concerned)

Im hoping ive just let my anxiety go a bit ott today and itll all sort itself out again like it was doing a couple of years ago whilst on the iron tablets.

pathetic
May 29th, 2018, 06:55 PM
how is your diet? do you eat a lot of nutrient-rich foods and plants? most of my iron deficiency problems were solved by eating more nutritious meat, haha.

and the only way to be certain your new growth is really coming in is to take pictures and track it! or try measuring it.

spidermom
May 29th, 2018, 07:12 PM
I think using cast iron cookware helps keep my iron levels normal. I've seen some research that agrees.

sourkitteh
May 30th, 2018, 05:37 AM
how is your diet? do you eat a lot of nutrient-rich foods and plants? most of my iron deficiency problems were solved by eating more nutritious meat, haha.

and the only way to be certain your new growth is really coming in is to take pictures and track it! or try measuring it.

It could always be better! But i think i eat a variety and probably too much meat sometkmes 🙈

I took phoyos last year then somehow lost thrm, so any new pictures ihave now i cant compare ( i did find some pics from years ago when my hair was so thick, it actually made me feel worse but i couldnt stop comparing....why do we do this?!) But i will do this again in regards to any kind of progress 🤞 my ponytail circumference has been 2inches for two years now, i dont know what i was before.

sourkitteh
May 30th, 2018, 05:38 AM
I think using cast iron cookware helps keep my iron levels normal. I've seen some research that agrees.

I hzve also heard this, ill have to look into it a bit more!

berr
May 30th, 2018, 05:49 PM

We use cast iron as well. I got scared of all the coatings on other stuff. I think the only other thing I would like to try is water less cookware. Cast iron is in my budget. The other is not. I check ebay sometimes and might get a small pan just to try it out.

Queerantine
May 30th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Hang in there friend! You're doing good!

The iron helped before, you're doing it again and noticing new, better growth again - these are good things. It's probably -not- in your head, I think our insecurities make us more likely to see negative trends than positive ones, and considering how upset this seems to have you, I feel like your headspace right now wouldn't let you see a false positive trend, if that makes sense.

Keep up with your iron and remember it will take time, and most importantly, you are not alone! We see you, we hear you, and we are here for you. It is absolutely natural to feel worried about this new growth coming in. It sucks, and only time will show you, but it seems like you're on the right track.

sourkitteh
May 31st, 2018, 03:30 AM
We use cast iron as well. I got scared of all the coatings on other stuff. I think the only other thing I would like to try is water less cookware. Cast iron is in my budget. The other is not. I check ebay sometimes and might get a small pan just to try it out.

I never thought about checkjng ebay! Thanks for the advice 😊

sourkitteh
May 31st, 2018, 03:38 AM
Hang in there friend! You're doing good!

The iron helped before, you're doing it again and noticing new, better growth again - these are good things. It's probably -not- in your head, I think our insecurities make us more likely to see negative trends than positive ones, and considering how upset this seems to have you, I feel like your headspace right now wouldn't let you see a false positive trend, if that makes sense.

Keep up with your iron and remember it will take time, and most importantly, you are not alone! We see you, we hear you, and we are here for you. It is absolutely natural to feel worried about this new growth coming in. It sucks, and only time will show you, but it seems like you're on the right track.

Aww thank you for such a lovely reply, its been a few days now and im slowly feeling better, still feeling queasy whenever i think of my hair and ive been told by family that it rly doesnt look that bad, but i guess its just one of those things.

I have booked to see a doctor to see if i can get a referral to a dermatogist? Might as well be pro active along with the sadness lol

CrowningGlory
May 31st, 2018, 05:22 AM
I, too, experienced shedding and thinning due to low ferritin levels. That was back in 2010. Once my levels were just inside normal range, I was taken off the iron but quickly noticed a return of other symptoms: dizziness, fogginess, difficulty with memory, and depression. Went back to my doctor and explained what I had noticed and he agreed to keep me on the iron. I have yearly blood tests, cook in cast iron whenever I can, try and take Vit C rich drink or food with my iron, avoid tea before and after taking iron ... and after eight years my ferritin is still only in the 30s. I think that's just the way my body is.

But recently I've had much reason to hope as far as my hair goes. Since 2010 I've regularly cut back to BSL where the thinning wasn't so obvious but now I'm at waist. While I know the last few inches aren't as thick as the rest, it's really only noticeable to me. I've started wearing my hair down at times now and no longer feel that I have to hide it. I'm hopeful I may get back to tailbone again.

It's been a long journey. My advice to you is: don't give up. Take your iron, keep an eye on your levels, don't put off seeing your doctor if you notice changes or think it's getting worse (but don't expect overnight results either), baby those new hairs along, and hold onto hope.

sourkitteh
May 31st, 2018, 07:37 AM
I, too, experienced shedding and thinning due to low ferritin levels. That was back in 2010. Once my levels were just inside normal range, I was taken off the iron but quickly noticed a return of other symptoms: dizziness, fogginess, difficulty with memory, and depression. Went back to my doctor and explained what I had noticed and he agreed to keep me on the iron. I have yearly blood tests, cook in cast iron whenever I can, try and take Vit C rich drink or food with my iron, avoid tea before and after taking iron ... and after eight years my ferritin is still only in the 30s. I think that's just the way my body is.

But recently I've had much reason to hope as far as my hair goes. Since 2010 I've regularly cut back to BSL where the thinning wasn't so obvious but now I'm at waist. While I know the last few inches aren't as thick as the rest, it's really only noticeable to me. I've started wearing my hair down at times now and no longer feel that I have to hide it. I'm hopeful I may get back to tailbone again.

It's been a long journey. My advice to you is: don't give up. Take your iron, keep an eye on your levels, don't put off seeing your doctor if you notice changes or think it's getting worse (but don't expect overnight results either), baby those new hairs along, and hold onto hope.

That sounds exactly like what happened to me with the symptoms returning. The only difference is i never got tested after finishing that first round of tablets so not even sure how high they got. Obviously now im around 50 in ferritin which is better than the 14 i was two years aho but im still not sure if this is the cause of the thinning, but again i guess only time will tell (and me bugging the doctors instead of just going along with it)