PDA

View Full Version : Oils for the hair?

AngelAki
May 28th, 2018, 03:48 PM
For those who use oils in your hair, I have a question for you. Would it be advisable for me to use grapeseed oil, and sweet almond oil together and maybe jojoba?

Also I never used a essential oil before but I want to try peppermint and lavender. Do I use both or like alternate? Or just try one then try the other and pick?

JennGalt
May 28th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Try all of the above and see what works for you :) I find almond and grapeseed to be a nice mixture, but I usually alternate simply because I keep them in separate containers and am a tad lazy.

As for mixing peppermint and lavender: peppermint is supposed to have a invigorating, mildly stimulant effect, whereas lavendar is supposed to have a calming, relaxing effect. Mix them and try it if you want, but I think they'd be better separately. (Just my two cents!)

DoomKitty
May 28th, 2018, 04:31 PM
Just wanted to say to be careful if you're using any type of oil on your scalp, it can make you shed like crazy.

lapushka
May 28th, 2018, 04:43 PM
For those who use oils in your hair, I have a question for you. Would it be advisable for me to use grapeseed oil, and sweet almond oil together and maybe jojoba?

Also I never used a essential oil before but I want to try peppermint and lavender. Do I use both or like alternate? Or just try one then try the other and pick?

Yes you can mix carrier oils all you want!

You can combine EOs too, just make sure the total amount is the right percentage off of the carrier oil.

lapushka
May 28th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Just wanted to say to be careful if you're using any type of oil on your scalp, it can make you shed like crazy.

Yes, beware of this! If you use an oil on your scalp (or even conditioner), some people can't tolerate this well and shed more; these aren't just hairs that would have come out anyway, this is a "thinning" sort of a shed. So if that happens, immediately stop using oil on your scalp; lengths = fine, but scalp: no!

I only use oil (in an oil rinse, see signature) on the last 5 inches of my hair, to "feed" the ends and keep them well moisturized.

Julescarm
May 28th, 2018, 06:19 PM
I've used all but sweet almond oil. My favorites are coconut and peppermint oils mixed. Grapeseed oil is a lot lighter than olive oil.

Glitch
May 28th, 2018, 07:23 PM
They're all light oils, but all a little different so maybe a little experimenting with all over time would be beneficial :) Make sure to not go wild with them all at once like I did though, as it'll be hard to know what's working and what isn't and can compromise your hair texture for a while.

Katia_k
May 28th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I'd use all the carrier oils separately first, see what your hair likes before you commit to mixing a bunch together. I can use 2 out of the 3 of those, but Jojoba makes my hair super sad, so it's important to know each oil for itself.

As for the eos, if you like the smells together, then I'd say do what you like. It won't hurt anything at the very least. As for the shedding, that can be a definite concern, but it doesn't happen to everybody. So don't be afraid to try it, just stop if it's making you shed like crazy.

Dark40
May 29th, 2018, 04:30 PM
Yes, you can mix any kind of light oil you want. What works for you. All of them I think will be beneficial to you as well.

AngelAki
May 31st, 2018, 10:29 AM
Okay, thank you everyone! I've been using grapeseed since the end of last year when I found out coconut oil made my skin break out. I haven't noticed any increased shedding than normal. My hair has been soft and shiny. I do take the oil on my hair, avoiding the scalp except the one time I oiled my scalp because it was flaking lol.

I'll go ahead and try them one at a time for bit and see how they work.

I want to add lavender or peppermint because I remember they felt nice and smelled great when I went to the salon for a deep condition, they'd use one of them.

Thank you ladies!