PDA

View Full Version : My hair won't grow please help

Capricornhem
May 28th, 2018, 02:02 PM
I cut my hair due to heat damage a year and 5 months ago and it's still at the same length. My hair is curly and at shoulder length. I've followed many tips mentioned on LHC and I've started eating really healthy over the last 6 months, I haven't heat styled my hair since going natural why is it still not growing and getting thicker? When I watch hair YouTube videos and length checks all of these girls and women get so much growth so why don't I? I'm sorry for the rant everyone but I'm so upset about this. I haven't liked my hair for like 5 years due to how bad the condition was. My hair was extremely thin and it still is and this is something that I'm extremely insecure about :confused:.

Wendyp
May 28th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Hmmm, have you had any blood work done? Any health concerns? Do you eat enough protein?

Sarahlabyrinth
May 28th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Have you been under a lot of stress?

Capricornhem
May 28th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Hmmm, have you had any blood work done? Any health concerns? Do you eat enough protein?

No no I haven't in a long time, I assumed I was fine as I try to get a variety nutrients as I can in my diet. I was vegan for a bit but I really watched my protein intake to make sure I wasn't deficient... I might get a blood test now though just to see if it's still my diet.

Capricornhem
May 28th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Have you been under a lot of stress?
Yes I have for the past two years as I was really busy focusing on trying to graduate university with good grades unfortunately

Sarahlabyrinth
May 28th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Stress can slow down or even stop hair growth, sometimes. Or (shudder) make hair fall out in large quantities.

Capricornhem
May 28th, 2018, 03:01 PM
Living a stress free life isn't easy though. I never thought growing out my hair would be this difficult :/

lapushka
May 28th, 2018, 03:03 PM
I cut my hair due to heat damage a year and 5 months ago and it's still at the same length. My hair is curly and at shoulder length. I've followed many tips mentioned on LHC and I've started eating really healthy over the last 6 months, I haven't heat styled my hair since going natural why is it still not growing and getting thicker? When I watch hair YouTube videos and length checks all of these girls and women get so much growth so why don't I? I'm sorry for the rant everyone but I'm so upset about this. I haven't liked my hair for like 5 years due to how bad the condition was. My hair was extremely thin and it still is and this is something that I'm extremely insecure about :confused:.

Maybe there is still heat damage in there. Since when did you give up heat? If it's a year and 5 months ago, that damage is still in your hair if it is shoulder length, for sure.

Your hair is always growing, but it might be breaking off at the ends. I would check your hair for white dots up the shaft (sign of heat damage). That means there's breakage waiting to happen.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 28th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Life can never be stress free, but extreme stress over time can certainly affect hair growth. Just having a tough week, or that kind of thing won't hurt it.

Being gentle and patient with your hair, eating a good diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, and protein, drinking water and some exercise, will go a long way to giving you healthy hair. Having a healthy body comes first, followed by the healthy hair. Hair comes last on the body's list of priorities so you must take care of the body firsts to get healthy hair. It's the body that does the hair growing, so look after the body. :)

pili
May 28th, 2018, 03:09 PM
Maybe there is still heat damage in there. Since when did you give up heat? If it's a year and 5 months ago, that damage is still in your hair if it is shoulder length, for sure.

Your hair is always growing, but it might be breaking off at the ends. I would check your hair for white dots up the shaft (sign of heat damage). That means there's breakage waiting to happen.
I agree with this. If all your hair was heat damaged then only the hair that has grown out since your cut is undamaged. If the damage is bad enough then it may be breaking off. Can you tell us a little more about how you handle your hair? Hair type? Is the new growth curling more and making it look shorter (very possible with curly hair)?

Capricornhem
May 28th, 2018, 03:11 PM
I feel like I still have a lot of damage but I don't want to my cut my hair any shorter since it's already shoulder length... do I have chop off most of my hair to get it to grow? I'm so attached to my hair so cutting it even shorter is something I don't think I can do :/

Capricornhem
May 28th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Thank you for the tips!! Since eating healthy I feel a lot less tired physically and more energetic to be honest, hopefully my hair will also improve along the way

Capricornhem
May 28th, 2018, 03:17 PM
My hair is 3a but it used to be 3b before heat damage. I never use a brush on my hair, I always finger detangle. Because my hair is so thin I do wear hair extensions and now the back of my hair has some bad patches. I always wear my hair up and only use shea moisture hair products as they are silicone, paragons and sulphate free! I wash my hair once or twice a week and have recently started to apply coconut oil on my hair every night for extra moisture. My hair is honestly just a mess and I've become very fed up that's why I've posted this thread

Capricornhem
May 28th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Paraben* sorry

pili
May 28th, 2018, 03:27 PM
My hair is 3a but it used to be 3b before heat damage. I never use a brush on my hair, I always finger detangle. Because my hair is so thin I do wear hair extensions and now the back of my hair has some bad patches. I always wear my hair up and only use shea moisture hair products as they are silicone, paragons and sulphate free! I wash my hair once or twice a week and have recently started to apply coconut oil on my hair every night for extra moisture. My hair is honestly just a mess and I've become very fed up that's why I've posted this thread

Are you still wearing extensions? If they are causing bald patches I would stop that immediately. Do you notice more curl at the roots? 3b is quite curly, and if that's what's growing out it can explain some of the shrinkage eating the length. How long is your hair stretched? Have you ever measured it? I have 2c/3a curls and MUST measure stretched or I would never see any growth. This would go even more for you. Does your hair like coconut oil? I mean, does it feel better when you use it, or is it dry and crunchy. A lot of people, especially if they are protein sensitive, cannot do coconut oil. You could try other things like avocado, argan, olive, sweet almond oils. You would need to see what works with your hair. Oil does not actually moisturize, all it can do is seal in moisture. Also, be careful with getting oil on your scalp, some people experience a lot of shedding from oil or conditioner on the scalp. I shed like a St. Bernard in the Bahamas if conditioner touches my scalp. I'm talking about enough hair to look like I drowned a kitten in the bathtub. Look into moisturizing treatments. The SMT is one that is very popular here. I've not used it, but it turns out my curls needed something totally different from the conventional advice.

spidermom
May 28th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Are you taking pictures on a regular basis to be sure your hair isn't growing? My guess would be that it is, but curl is eating up the length, and you are impatient.

My advice - join the "seasonal growth project" thread and take a picture in the same position wearing the same patterned clothing every time the season changes (4 times per year). I believe you will see that it IS growing.

spidermom
May 28th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Oh, and P.S. - lose the extensions.

Capricornhem
May 28th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I want to to ditch my hair extensions and it's so easy to say to longer use them but my hair has thinned out so much and extensions are the only thing that gives me confidence at this point. I'm really self conscious about my hair loss. I will start taking pictures of my hair from now and look back on the growth every couple of months. Thanks for the tip :)

lapushka
May 28th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Yes I would ditch the extensions asap. It's not helping your growth any, that's for sure.

No need to cut it shorter, but just know that it might take a few years to see a big change in your hair and have it possibly APL or so. You have to be willing to make the commitment for that. :flower:

Capricornhem
May 28th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Are you still wearing extensions? If they are causing bald patches I would stop that immediately. Do you notice more curl at the roots? 3b is quite curly, and if that's what's growing out it can explain some of the shrinkage eating the length. How long is your hair stretched? Have you ever measured it? I have 2c/3a curls and MUST measure stretched or I would never see any growth. This would go even more for you. Does your hair like coconut oil? I mean, does it feel better when you use it, or is it dry and crunchy. A lot of people, especially if they are protein sensitive, cannot do coconut oil. You could try other things like avocado, argan, olive, sweet almond oils. You would need to see what works with your hair. Oil does not actually moisturize, all it can do is seal in moisture. Also, be careful with getting oil on your scalp, some people experience a lot of shedding from oil or conditioner on the scalp. I shed like a St. Bernard in the Bahamas if conditioner touches my scalp. I'm talking about enough hair to look like I drowned a kitten in the bathtub. Look into moisturizing treatments. The SMT is one that is very popular here. I've not used it, but it turns out my curls needed something totally different from the conventional advice.

My new growth at the front part of my hair is really curly however other new growths are loose curled. My hair stretched is at armpit length and it has been at this length for a really long time now. I feel like curly hair takes forever to grow due to shrinkage and it's so frustrating! My hair reacts well to coconut oil and I also sometimes use sweet almond and jojoba when I want a change. I didn't know that applying oil or conditioner on scalpcould cause more shedding, I will definitely look out for that and be more careful

JennGalt
May 28th, 2018, 03:48 PM
It's possible to be vegan and get enough protein and micronutrients for healthy hair that grows like a weed. Deffo get your bloodwork done. And I agree you should measure your hair stretched; your new growth is going to be curlier than your heat-damaged hair, and you've probably forgotten how much shrinkage you have with your natural texture. Curls eat up a lot of length! Also check the humidity in your area--I recently freaked out about breakage until I realized the it wasn't breakage, but the humidity shot up as the temperature rose this spring. (Duh, Jenn!) All this stupid humidity makes it look like I chopped back to waist length and then stalled :(

Perhaps try microtrimming to get the rest of any heat damage out. That way you don't have to lose any more length to another chop. And throw the extensions out!

ETA: I see you posted again before I finished typing this. I'm growing out old heat damage too, and for quite a while my hair simply broke off between CBL and APL. So long that I thought that was my terminal length. I simply accepted it and forgot about my hair. Eventually enough of the damage grew out and broke off, and one day I realized (with much shock!) I had WL hair! It will grow again, in its own time. I know it's hard, but just be patient and you'll eventually see some growth.

Glitch
May 28th, 2018, 03:57 PM
I want to to ditch my hair extensions and it's so easy to say to longer use them but my hair has thinned out so much and extensions are the only thing that gives me confidence at this point. I'm really self conscious about my hair loss. I will start taking pictures of my hair from now and look back on the growth every couple of months. Thanks for the tip :)

If you feel like you have to wear extensions, you should really look into damage-free options, because they do exist. They are pricier for sure, but hey, if you're going to be wearing them then might as well wear some that won't thin out your hair and give you patches. I recommend (I don't wear extensions myself anymore, but I used to years ago for fuller hair back when I had a ton of heat damage) Hidden Crown Extensions. Unlike clip ins or sew ins, they don't tug or pull on the hair, or cause pressure points, etc.

Here's a video that explains them (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HST-tv6fck) (skip to 3:40 to see it in action). Instead of this girl's method though, I suggest doing a half-up, slipping on the extensions, and then taking down the half up.

Anyway, you say you have damage in your hair but don't want to cut it out. I'm afraid that with the way things sounds, it seems to me like your hair has been breaking off repeatedly. Have you tried microtrimming? The left over heat damage in your hair + constant stress build up from your current extensions are the perfect combination for hair retention troubles. Not to mention, damaged strands can rub on healthy ones and cause havoc there as well. Fortunately, if there's a will, there's a way ;) I believe in ya. Take smalls steps, but do realize that if you fully remain in your comfort zone (keeping the damage and continuing wearing your current extensions) then things won't be changing any time soon. You can do it :heartbeat

KlutzyChy1
May 28th, 2018, 04:04 PM

I agree with lapushka. I started growing out my heat/dye damaged hair about a year & a half ago as well, starting from about apl & I still have A LOT of breakage at the ends of my hair because I never got the damage cut off & even when I try to S&D, that breakage always seems to come back.

Capricornhem
May 28th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Thank you so much for sending me that video, I will definitely be researching about crown extensions. I think that I'm just going to let go of the clip in curly hair extensions and just rock my natural hair so that I can finally see some changes. This is a big deal for me but long overdue

Capricornhem
May 28th, 2018, 04:09 PM
By the way I have started micro trimming in March to avoid a big chop

Sarahlabyrinth
May 28th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Good to hear you are working out a plan :) It helps tremendously when growing hair, because it takes a long time and it is easy to be tempted to give up and cut it!

For example I just this morning worked out that for my hair to be where I want it by the end of the year I will need to do three more trims between now and the end of December :)

Wendyp
May 28th, 2018, 04:17 PM
No no I haven't in a long time, I assumed I was fine as I try to get a variety nutrients as I can in my diet. I was vegan for a bit but I really watched my protein intake to make sure I wasn't deficient... I might get a blood test now though just to see if it's still my diet.

Do a complete panel including hormones. age doesn’t matter btw.

Glitch
May 28th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Thank you so much for sending me that video, I will definitely be researching about crown extensions. I think that I'm just going to let go of the clip in curly hair extensions and just rock my natural hair so that I can finally see some changes. This is a big deal for me but long overdue

Glad to hear it! Best of luck to you, it will definitely be worth your while :flower:

*Wednesday*
May 28th, 2018, 07:57 PM

I agree with this. If all your hair was heat damaged then only the hair that has grown out since your cut is undamaged. If the damage is bad enough then it may be breaking off. Can you tell us a little more about how you handle your hair? Hair type? Is the new growth curling more and making it look shorter (very possible with curly hair)?

These two. Yes. So true.

OP, my hair does not grow fast, at all. 1/4 a month. I'm a slow grower. I only do length check-ins once a year.

Katia_k
May 28th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Seconding everyone else's comments that curly hair can feel like it is not growing at all. You should buy a soft measuring tape, if you haven't, and actually measure the stretched growth. If you're a slow grower, you might need the measuring tape to actually see any progress for ages. And don't even bother doing it unstretched, especially if you're feeling discouraged. It'll take the wind right out of your sails. I joined here in 2016, and was somewhere between APL and BSL, and I swear to you that it felt like I was getting 0 growth for at least the first year, maybe more. So I know your frustration. Now I measure my hair stretched, and wet, so that I can see every little bit of progress it makes. I also only measure once every 1-2 months (any less and I get obsessive, any longer and my slow growth rate depresses me).

It's a long journey. I'm glad you're giving up the hair extensions, since I don't think they are helping you. Perhaps if your thin hair makes you feel self-conscious, you could buy some small gentle hair toys, like flexi-8s or something. They're pretty and they come in all sizes, so you can use them to hold it up or you can just decorate with them.

But you've got this. Baby the ends with some oil, finger comb carefully, maybe wear your hair up in gentle styles so it's not brushing against your clothes and chairs and breaking. You will get there. I'm just now finally inching over the line to waist, after a very long time. It's been slow progress, but it's happening. And it will for you someday too. And you won't even notice it, until one day your hair hits you in the back of the arm and scares the crap out of you. Just be patient, and experiment, and try to relax as much as you can. (Oh, and take care of your scalp).

One last question, this might seem like a dumb one, but does your hair actually like the Shea Moisture products? Like does it make it feel good and healthy? I'm just checking.

Capricornhem
September 7th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone!

I thought I'd give an update. I've cut off all of my heat damage and I've got lots of new growths that are thick (some are 2inches long, others are 4). I believe this is because I finally went to the doctors and got a check up. I was low in vitamin D and iron. I now take strong vitamin D supplements and iron pills. I've also incorporated lots more veggies in my diet and drink nettle tea as well as green tea daily.

My hair is still thin, however I can't wait for my new growth to get longer and hopefully get some more new growths in.

I'm now more concerned about my hair health and thickness rather than length.

Synester
September 7th, 2018, 12:26 PM
For many many years my hair wouldn't grow past my shoulders, it wasn't until I stopped aggressively heat styling (I used to flat iron my already thin almost straight hair every single day) because I wanted pin straight hair. I killed my hair. it broke at all lengths no wonder it didn't grow. I was also excessively box bleaching and dying it monthly almost. (being emo is a death sentence for your hair lol)
Once I gave up bleach...weened off dyes...and started trimming my ends regularly and oiling my hair and trying my best to baby it. Was when it started to grow. My whole family couldn't believe it. I was growing long hair. I still have my struggles and bumps in the road. My hair is so fine it damages with just the wind blowing it seems. if you aren't chemically damaging your hair and you're not heat damaging your hair. You need to get some blood work done to be sure of anything else it could be <3 Good luck

lapushka
September 7th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Hi everyone!

I thought I'd give an update. I've cut off all of my heat damage and I've got lots of new growths that are thick (some are 2inches long, others are 4). I believe this is because I finally went to the doctors and got a check up. I was low in vitamin D and iron. I now take strong vitamin D supplements and iron pills. I've also incorporated lots more veggies in my diet and drink nettle tea as well as green tea daily.

My hair is still thin, however I can't wait for my new growth to get longer and hopefully get some more new growths in.

Hey! Sounds like you're on the right track. :)

Good luck fixing those deficiencies; hope you'll see the difference in your hair soon. :flower:

Capricornhem
September 13th, 2018, 10:28 AM
Hey! Sounds like you're on the right track. :)

Good luck fixing those deficiencies; hope you'll see the difference in your hair soon. :flower:

Thank you so much :)

Capricornhem
September 13th, 2018, 10:30 AM
For many many years my hair wouldn't grow past my shoulders, it wasn't until I stopped aggressively heat styling (I used to flat iron my already thin almost straight hair every single day) because I wanted pin straight hair. I killed my hair. it broke at all lengths no wonder it didn't grow. I was also excessively box bleaching and dying it monthly almost. (being emo is a death sentence for your hair lol)
Once I gave up bleach...weened off dyes...and started trimming my ends regularly and oiling my hair and trying my best to baby it. Was when it started to grow. My whole family couldn't believe it. I was growing long hair. I still have my struggles and bumps in the road. My hair is so fine it damages with just the wind blowing it seems. if you aren't chemically damaging your hair and you're not heat damaging your hair. You need to get some blood work done to be sure of anything else it could be <3 Good luck

Thank you for your advice. Your story is giving me hope! I have done some blood work and found out I was deficient in some vitamins and my hair is finally growing back in :)

Dark40
September 13th, 2018, 02:10 PM
I agree with everyone. The damage might be still even though it's been 5 months. It might be breaking off on the ends. Make sure you eat a well-balanced diet fresh fruits, vegetables, and protein. Also, drink lots of water.

_fred_
September 13th, 2018, 02:15 PM
Hi everyone!

Congratulations! :blossom: It sounds like the chop was worth it (and that you gave up the extensions?). Your update is really inspiring, and it's great to see that you've been able to target some dietary issues and that it's helping. I hope you'll see some extra thickness with time, best of luck! :cheer:

redhed515
September 13th, 2018, 02:36 PM
I agree with the stress theory. Have you tried taking a biotin supplement?

Capricornhem
September 17th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Congratulations! :blossom: It sounds like the chop was worth it (and that you gave up the extensions?). Your update is really inspiring, and it's great to see that you've been able to target some dietary issues and that it's helping. I hope you'll see some extra thickness with time, best of luck! :cheer:

Thank you so much! I should've chopped my hair a long time ago, I don't know why I held onto dead hair for that long. Yes, I stopped wearing hair extensions. My hair is now finally filling in the areas where I used to put those clip in extensions! Focusing on my diet has really worked wonders :)

Capricornhem
September 17th, 2018, 01:37 PM
I agree with the stress theory. Have you tried taking a biotin supplement?

I did in the past but it did nothing for my hair. I think it's because I'm deficient in that vitamin :)

_fred_
September 17th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Thank you so much! I should've chopped my hair a long time ago, I don't know why I held onto dead hair for that long. Yes, I stopped wearing hair extensions. My hair is now finally filling in the areas where I used to put those clip in extensions! Focusing on my diet has really worked wonders :)

That's so great, I'm really happy for you :D

I can understand why it took a while though - I think these things often do. But you got there!

Ylva
September 17th, 2018, 04:21 PM
How great to hear your hair is growing back! :) Good luck on your healthy hair journey!

Corvana
September 17th, 2018, 11:08 PM
Oh I remember reading this thread! I'm so happy to read your update!!

Capricornhem
September 18th, 2018, 05:55 AM
sorry i meant that im not deficient in biotin***

Capricornhem
September 18th, 2018, 05:57 AM
Thank you all so much, it means a lot :o

nikittyy
September 21st, 2018, 03:32 PM
I'd check your diet and hormone levels, and make sure you're taking care of it. Possibly look into taking vitamins or biotin.

Arciela
September 21st, 2018, 05:28 PM
I remember this thread! Hehe I lurked it a bit..glad to hear your hair is growing now :flower: